Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? 10:59 - Aug 11 with 6632 viewsBluefish

Traditionally it went something like

Sir Bob
Sir Alf
Burley
Lyall
McCarthy
Royle
Duncan
Jewell
Hurst
keane
Lambert

A few skipped out that you can add as you see fit

The modern fans seems more interested by pressers, fake green shoots and PR stunts than performances and results. On that basis should we revise the list?
[Post edited 11 Aug 2021 11:00]

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 11:03 - Aug 11 with 3238 viewsIllinoisblue

Royle should be above Mick but otherwise, no.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 11:06 - Aug 11 with 3209 viewsDanTheMan

I'd move Lambert above Keane and Hurst. He was useless but didn't for me do any long lasting damage unlike the other two.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 11:06 - Aug 11 with 3207 viewsBluefish

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 11:03 - Aug 11 by Illinoisblue

Royle should be above Mick but otherwise, no.

There should be an enormous gap after Super Mick before it goes down to BFJ.

Get with the times man, no one cares about results now. People that post about performances and tactics are pricks and trolls

keane
Lambert
Cook
Jewell
Hurst
Mick

Probably about right?

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 11:09 - Aug 11 with 3172 viewsTractorWood

Any manager who had to work under Evans, particularly in the later years, should be viewed in that context. To me that amplifies MMs spell as heroic and dampens Lambert to frustrating.

League one is tough, HMS walk the league is still in the ship yard imo.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 11:10 - Aug 11 with 3158 viewsBluefish

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 11:06 - Aug 11 by DanTheMan

I'd move Lambert above Keane and Hurst. He was useless but didn't for me do any long lasting damage unlike the other two.

Relegation with the most expensive wage bill in our history and 2 failed attempts to take us back up with the divisions biggest budget. He did more harm than all of them

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 11:12 - Aug 11 with 3128 viewsElephantintheRoom

I'd put Sir Alf comfortably above Robson - he did after all drag the club from the third division to the European Cup.

I'd also put Bill McGarry in at third place - he turned the rabble he inherited from Milburn into a capable top division team and won the second division in some style - Burley never won anything and is still the only manager to achieve two relegations, with a a third very much on the cards before he was sacked.

On the same basis I'd put John Lyall above Burley - he did much as McGarry did with what he inherited from John Duncan

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 11:13 - Aug 11 with 3130 viewsKeno

its should be

Sir Bob
Sir Alf
Burley
Lyall
McCarthy
Royle
Duncan

Jewell
keane

Hurst

Lambert

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 11:13 - Aug 11 with 3120 viewschicoazul

Lyall not high enough.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Login to get fewer ads

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 11:14 - Aug 11 with 3115 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 11:06 - Aug 11 by Bluefish

There should be an enormous gap after Super Mick before it goes down to BFJ.

Get with the times man, no one cares about results now. People that post about performances and tactics are pricks and trolls

keane
Lambert
Cook
Jewell
Hurst
Mick

Probably about right?

I like it. Let's do owners and chairman.

How far above the Cobbolds have you got Evans?

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 11:22 - Aug 11 with 3063 viewsBluefish

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 11:14 - Aug 11 by Cheltenham_Blue

I like it. Let's do owners and chairman.

How far above the Cobbolds have you got Evans?

Are we doing money invested or jolly times had?

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 11:25 - Aug 11 with 3037 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 11:22 - Aug 11 by Bluefish

Are we doing money invested or jolly times had?

Its your thread Fishers. Knock yourself out.

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 11:28 - Aug 11 with 3008 viewsBluefish

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 11:25 - Aug 11 by Cheltenham_Blue

Its your thread Fishers. Knock yourself out.

Well if we wish to match up with the best managers theme then it should be on success

If we wish to continue this nonsense about great times without success due to pressers then it should be on money invested

You choose if Cook so far is more Cobbold or Evans and what is more important

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 11:28 - Aug 11 with 3005 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Jack Ross should be in the Top 5!!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 11:29 - Aug 11 with 2994 viewshype313

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 11:28 - Aug 11 by Marshalls_Mullet

Surely Ronnie Moore should be up there.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 11:31 - Aug 11 with 2982 viewsKeno

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 11:28 - Aug 11 by Marshalls_Mullet

I would have included the Cowleys in the top 3 until the last few days, now they are somewhere between Jewell and Keane

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 11:34 - Aug 11 with 2968 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 11:28 - Aug 11 by Bluefish

Well if we wish to match up with the best managers theme then it should be on success

If we wish to continue this nonsense about great times without success due to pressers then it should be on money invested

You choose if Cook so far is more Cobbold or Evans and what is more important

No Fishers, let's see your Chairmen and Owners list.
You started the thread, I'd really like to see your opinion on this.

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 11:43 - Aug 11 with 2901 viewsBluefish

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 11:34 - Aug 11 by Cheltenham_Blue

No Fishers, let's see your Chairmen and Owners list.
You started the thread, I'd really like to see your opinion on this.

You started that list I started one about managers. The thread is up there if you need to check that

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 11:44 - Aug 11 with 2898 viewsblue62

Can you do Keane, Hurst and Lambert all equal last?
Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 14:45 - Aug 11 with 2667 viewsBlueBadger

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 11:06 - Aug 11 by DanTheMan

He got us relegated, kept us there and actively encouraged a toxic club culture that it needed a literal change of owner to start repairing...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 14:46 - Aug 11 with 2666 viewsDanTheMan

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 14:45 - Aug 11 by BlueBadger

He got us relegated, kept us there and actively encouraged a toxic club culture that it needed a literal change of owner to start repairing...

Yup.

And yet for me, Keane and Hurst still managed to do more damage. Hurst did so in such a rapid fashion that it's almost impressive.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 14:55 - Aug 11 with 2617 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Hurst should be bottom. The amount of damage he did in such a short space of time has left us where we are, imo. Think people forgetting just how bad it was.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 15:04 - Aug 11 with 2571 viewsBeckets

I can think of a poster on here who would have Cook top of that list.
Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 15:07 - Aug 11 with 2566 viewsKropotkin123

Sir Alf
Sir Bob
Burley
Lyall
Royle
McCarthy
Cook
Jewell
keane
Lambert
Hurst

It's all personal obviously. I've removed Duncan, as I have no clue about how we played and I can't judge the achievements.

Winning the third tier, building, then winning the second tier and first tier back to back. It's an incredible achievement that will be implausible to repeat. That's why I'd put him above Sir Bob.

Royle was consistently fighting for promotion. Hard to judge on achievements verses MM, due to players at their disposal. But Royle played really exciting football and in the end gave me way more positive memories.

Hurst butchered a team and replaced them with noone of value. Lambert merely continued the rot.

Cook has bought in some quality players, I can only judge by one game this season, but we looked great going forward and I think even if he fails, a manager coming in would love this squad at this level. So he has set us up for success.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 15:19 - Aug 11 with 2523 viewsimalwayswrong

no Mowbray? BFJ was a much better manager than Mick - BFJ could make water into wine
Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 15:20 - Aug 11 with 2519 viewsKeno

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 14:46 - Aug 11 by DanTheMan

Yup.

And yet for me, Keane and Hurst still managed to do more damage. Hurst did so in such a rapid fashion that it's almost impressive.

My son likes to play football manger games where he deliberately sets out to destroy a club, usually Man U. Hurst did it for real in a few weeks!!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024