Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Suddenly Burton away is a BIG game according to some fans 12:30 - Aug 12 with 5234 views3_5_2

The club have asked for patience, they are changing players (and in my view, with better ones) all the back room staff etc yet some fans are expecting us to be winning every game already

Saturday will be tough (JFH has done a great job with little money there) but we are very much at the early stages of the process required and for me a draw and something from Cheltenham will set us up nicely for MK Dons

45 games in this to go !!

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Suddenly Burton away is a BIG game according to some fans on 12:32 - Aug 12 with 2180 viewsEwan_Oozami

If nothing else, not conceding would be nice...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Suddenly Burton away is a BIG game according to some fans on 12:33 - Aug 12 with 2174 viewstimothyeo

They asked for patience whilst the team 'gel' and then Cook didn't bother taking the opportunity to improve that by playing them against Newport.
Suddenly Burton away is a BIG game according to some fans on 12:36 - Aug 12 with 2141 viewsjas0999

Big game no … but we have seen before what happens when you get on a winless streak. Two without a win, can quickly become five or six, then the pressure builds. Not necessarily from all fans, but it will build naturally, as this group and the manager will know they are good enough.
Suddenly Burton away is a BIG game according to some fans on 12:38 - Aug 12 with 2123 viewsGuthrum

Suddenly Burton away is a BIG game according to some fans on 12:33 - Aug 12 by timothyeo

They asked for patience whilst the team 'gel' and then Cook didn't bother taking the opportunity to improve that by playing them against Newport.

Low priority competition (this has been explicitly stated), chance to give fringe players a run out. Probably better to take the rest time - and chance of avoiding injuries - when they can. Gelling can be done on the training pitch as much as on matchday.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Suddenly Burton away is a BIG game according to some fans on 12:39 - Aug 12 with 2119 viewsVaughan8

People just want instant success. It rarely happens like that. How many teams go on a run in the second half of the season and end up winning promotion etc.

Patience is needed, but I think some wound themselves up that we will be the Man City of League one and blow everyone out the water......doesn't work like that.
Suddenly Burton away is a BIG game according to some fans on 12:40 - Aug 12 with 2111 views3_5_2

Suddenly Burton away is a BIG game according to some fans on 12:33 - Aug 12 by timothyeo

trying to avoid key players getting injured in a small cup maybe?

What if Harper, Evans, Burns or Piggott got injured? (we have lost Norwood for weeks again) Then Cook would have been slaughtered for playing them

I can see both sides of this but the league is our priority having said that, I would like us to put a full side out in the FA cup and get a "big team" in that

My view is that we need one if not two CB's and we are nearly there player wise

Suddenly Burton away is a BIG game according to some fans on 12:42 - Aug 12 with 2089 viewsWD19

The next game is always a big one. From a confidence (and practical) point of view we really, really need to win at least one of the next two.

But I agree that Burton will be tough. They have got a good thing going.
Suddenly Burton away is a BIG game according to some fans on 12:43 - Aug 12 with 2068 viewsVaughan8

Suddenly Burton away is a BIG game according to some fans on 12:42 - Aug 12 by WD19

The next game is always a big one. From a confidence (and practical) point of view we really, really need to win at least one of the next two.

But I agree that Burton will be tough. They have got a good thing going.

Login to get fewer ads

Suddenly Burton away is a BIG game according to some fans on 12:43 - Aug 12 with 2064 viewsEwan_Oozami

Possibly, but I suspect Coulson and Edmundson will be key in defence this season and they couldn't have played against Newport so that wasn't a "gelling" option for Cook. Think Harper and Evans have got a good partnership already so they didn't really need to play and Bonne started as the lone striker. Possibly would have like to see Burns play RB to give him some more game time and allow Donacien to partner Woolfy - but otherwise I was happy to see Cook not taking risks with KVY, Pigott, or Chaplin....
[Post edited 12 Aug 2021 12:44]

Suddenly Burton away is a BIG game according to some fans on 12:44 - Aug 12 with 2049 viewsKeaneish

...and your solution to getting the rest of the squad match fit is what?

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Suddenly Burton away is a BIG game according to some fans on 12:44 - Aug 12 with 2050 viewsGiveusaWave

Think a draw away at Burton would be a great result...but I'm sure some will go into meltdown if we only draw...

Poll: If we sign one player in the Jan window....

Suddenly Burton away is a BIG game according to some fans on 12:45 - Aug 12 with 2049 viewsHerbivore

Suddenly Burton away is a BIG game according to some fans on 12:39 - Aug 12 by Vaughan8

People just want instant success. It rarely happens like that. How many teams go on a run in the second half of the season and end up winning promotion etc.

Patience is needed, but I think some wound themselves up that we will be the Man City of League one and blow everyone out the water......doesn't work like that.

How many teams go on a run in the second half of the season and go up? The answer is not many. Of the six teams to go up since we've been in League 1, Rotherham, Wycombe, Coventry, Peterborough, and Hull were all in the promotion mix at halfway, and most of them were up there from fairly early on. Only Blackpool went up after a poor start and an exceptional finish. I prefer an approach that works 5 times out of 6 to one that has worked 1 time out of 6.

Edit - think even Blackpool were only a point or two off the play offs by halfway as well.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2021 12:49]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Suddenly Burton away is a BIG game according to some fans on 12:47 - Aug 12 with 2020 viewsIllinoisblue

All this bed wetting after ONE league game is quite amazing. I think the last decade has scarred us so much we have lost all perspective.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Suddenly Burton away is a BIG game according to some fans on 12:47 - Aug 12 with 2012 viewsAsa

Any idea how many points the League Cup games are worth?

Still two points for a win or is it three now like the league?

It’s almost as if he was saving the players from fairly meaningless matches but having them as fit as possible for the ones that carry points.
Football fans gonna melt innit on 12:51 - Aug 12 with 1977 viewsDyland

Suddenly Burton away is a BIG game according to some fans on 12:47 - Aug 12 by Illinoisblue

All this bed wetting after ONE league game is quite amazing. I think the last decade has scarred us so much we have lost all perspective.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Suddenly Burton away is a BIG game according to some fans on 12:51 - Aug 12 with 1972 viewschicoazul

We’ve won two of our last 11 competitive games. We are in an awful trot of form as a club. We need to start winning immediately.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Suddenly Burton away is a BIG game according to some fans on 12:51 - Aug 12 with 1968 viewsEwan_Oozami

Suddenly Burton away is a BIG game according to some fans on 12:44 - Aug 12 by GiveusaWave

Think a draw away at Burton would be a great result...but I'm sure some will go into meltdown if we only draw...

I assume you're aware of the Draw hierarchies?

1. Draw from more than a one goal winning position - Bad
2. Draw from a one goal winning position - Not acceptable
3. 0-0 draw - at least we didn't concede
4. Draw from a one goal losing position - Just about acceptable
5. Draw from more than a one goal losing position - Acceptable to a point (pun intended)

Suddenly Burton away is a BIG game according to some fans on 12:53 - Aug 12 with 1953 viewsBlueBadger

Suddenly Burton away is a BIG game according to some fans on 12:47 - Aug 12 by Illinoisblue

In all fairness, we finished last season utterly appallingly and have taken a pretty high-risk strategy towards this season. I can see why some might be twitchy.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Suddenly Burton away is a BIG game according to some fans on 12:56 - Aug 12 with 1928 viewsAsa

Suddenly Burton away is a BIG game according to some fans on 12:51 - Aug 12 by chicoazul

We’ve won two of our last 11 competitive games. We are in an awful trot of form as a club. We need to start winning immediately.

We could have lost 99 of our last 100. Only one of those matches has any actual bearing on this season.

We literally had a team of players who knew they weren’t being kept at the club and who didn’t want to get injured. They were going through the motions against teams who needed to stay up or get in their playoffs.

How those players performed, the majority of which are no longer at the club, has no impact on this season whatsoever.

This is a brand new team at the start of a new season. With 135 points left to play for.

I’ll be more concerned if we win 2 of our first 11 this season. We won’t.
Suddenly Burton away is a BIG game according to some fans on 12:58 - Aug 12 with 1912 viewschicoazul

Suddenly Burton away is a BIG game according to some fans on 12:56 - Aug 12 by Asa

We could have lost 99 of our last 100. Only one of those matches has any actual bearing on this season.

We literally had a team of players who knew they weren’t being kept at the club and who didn’t want to get injured. They were going through the motions against teams who needed to stay up or get in their playoffs.

How those players performed, the majority of which are no longer at the club, has no impact on this season whatsoever.

This is a brand new team at the start of a new season. With 135 points left to play for.

I’ll be more concerned if we win 2 of our first 11 this season. We won’t.

You don’t seem to be disagreeing with me, is that right?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Suddenly Burton away is a BIG game according to some fans on 13:00 - Aug 12 with 1904 viewswrightsrightglove

It’s not a ‘big’ game but the sooner we get a win the better. If nothing else it’ll settle people down who are a bit twitchy because of our recent past. Another lose or draw and it’s, wrongfully in my opinion, going to push more people into the ‘twitchy’ camp and ramp up the pressure.

It’s worth the same amount of points as any other game come the end of the season but the sooner we can settle everyone down the better.
Suddenly Burton away is a BIG game according to some fans on 13:00 - Aug 12 with 1901 views3_5_2

This

Suddenly Burton away is a BIG game according to some fans on 13:06 - Aug 12 with 1875 viewsIllinoisblue

Suddenly Burton away is a BIG game according to some fans on 12:53 - Aug 12 by BlueBadger

In all fairness, we finished last season utterly appallingly and have taken a pretty high-risk strategy towards this season. I can see why some might be twitchy.

I get it, to a certain extent. But we essentially have to erase and forget last season. If we’re sitting here in November and talking about needing time to gel then we’ll have a right to be concerned.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Suddenly Burton away is a BIG game according to some fans on 13:14 - Aug 12 with 1832 viewsAsa

Suddenly Burton away is a BIG game according to some fans on 12:58 - Aug 12 by chicoazul

You don’t seem to be disagreeing with me, is that right?

We don’t need to be winning immediately.

It’s preferable. It would be a huge boost to our prospects to do so. But the suggestion (by others) we can’t achieve success this season if we don’t win the few games is rubbish.
Suddenly Burton away is a BIG game according to some fans on 13:30 - Aug 12 with 1783 viewsjayessess

What bed wetting? I'd be surprised if as many as 1 in every 1000 Town fans isn't still expecting us to have an excellent season.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024