Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Far more enjoyable football 22:49 - Aug 14 with 4177 viewskizaitfc

To an extent I don't care about the results as long as we get that entertainment factor back and for me that is what we have.

Of course we need to start winning but the fact the football is enjoyable to watch and we have an attacking side is great, people need to stop thinking we have a divine right to be top of the league.

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

Far more enjoyable football on 22:58 - Aug 14 with 3041 viewsunstableblue

I really enjoyed the Morecombe and Newport games and the football from Ipswich

But we need to get results and also entertain.

Get that and the club will fly

Fans just need to back the project and stop panicking, if we turn too early we’ll actually hamper progress

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Far more enjoyable football on 23:05 - Aug 14 with 3007 viewsborge

I really enjoyed the second half against Newport, but that aside can't say I have noticed any significant difference. It's hardly in the same league as the stuff we saw from Burley and Royle.
Far more enjoyable football on 00:28 - Aug 15 with 2894 viewstimothyeo

Nah, not buying it.

Your post is a carbon copy of the ones we saw a few weeks into Lamberts tenure, which as a reader of the forum raised some concern at the time as we were limping to relegation without any sort of fight.

Today was decent second half, Burton comfortably the better first half but neither was particularly good football from us.
Far more enjoyable football on 01:57 - Aug 15 with 2818 viewsistanblue

Obvious troll is obvious.
Far more enjoyable football on 02:47 - Aug 15 with 2783 viewsMinneapolis_ITFC

As with most of the sporting industry, this is a results business. We could play like Milan 1989 week in week out but where will it get you if you can't do the simple thing in that scoring more than your opponent in order to win a game.

i've heard and viewed we've played enterprising "football" since first game but where's the sum total for it. Under previous managers particularly McCarthy we seemed a soft touch, lacking agression and fire in the belly. Far from advocating Cook should tell the players to kick opponents from the field but there's something clearly lacking out there.

People have suggested the problem lies with training routines. I don't get to see what goes on there but whatever staff we got to undertake duties, perhaps they should try a different approach. Maybe the greater problem lies away from match days rather than on them.
Far more enjoyable football on 06:40 - Aug 15 with 2678 viewsLightworker

Ah, "the football is better" Paul Cook 2021 edition.

Sorry but for me it is all about results now, I am fed up with losing to teams like Burton that have a quarter of our Budget. It is only two games and Cook does need more time, but he needs to start winning matches consistently pretty soon.
[Post edited 15 Aug 2021 7:14]
Far more enjoyable football on 06:49 - Aug 15 with 2655 viewssolomon

Mmm, professional sport (which incidentally is what ITFC is) is all about aspiration and winning, if you want to be entertained maybe wrestling is a better fit?
Far more enjoyable football on 07:10 - Aug 15 with 2622 viewsHighgateBlue

Far more enjoyable football on 02:47 - Aug 15 by Minneapolis_ITFC

As with most of the sporting industry, this is a results business. We could play like Milan 1989 week in week out but where will it get you if you can't do the simple thing in that scoring more than your opponent in order to win a game.

i've heard and viewed we've played enterprising "football" since first game but where's the sum total for it. Under previous managers particularly McCarthy we seemed a soft touch, lacking agression and fire in the belly. Far from advocating Cook should tell the players to kick opponents from the field but there's something clearly lacking out there.

People have suggested the problem lies with training routines. I don't get to see what goes on there but whatever staff we got to undertake duties, perhaps they should try a different approach. Maybe the greater problem lies away from match days rather than on them.

I'd kill to be back in the McCarthy era right now. It's been a very marked decline since.
Login to get fewer ads

Far more enjoyable football on 07:26 - Aug 15 with 2573 viewstextbackup

Far more enjoyable football on 07:10 - Aug 15 by HighgateBlue

I'd kill to be back in the McCarthy era right now. It's been a very marked decline since.

cor yeah, how I long for 5/6 0-0's in a row. great days them.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Far more enjoyable football on 07:34 - Aug 15 with 2563 viewsitfcjoe

Results are the entertainment, especially at this level.

There’s very little entertaining in dropping points, there will of course be the odd game where you walk away thinking how on Earth have we not won that - but that hasn’t been the case in either league game.

There needs to be an end to this celebrating of mediocrity

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Far more enjoyable football on 07:37 - Aug 15 with 2553 viewstextbackup

Far more enjoyable football on 07:34 - Aug 15 by itfcjoe

Results are the entertainment, especially at this level.

There’s very little entertaining in dropping points, there will of course be the odd game where you walk away thinking how on Earth have we not won that - but that hasn’t been the case in either league game.

There needs to be an end to this celebrating of mediocrity

we've been doing it for years though, even (and I realise the gulf in quality is large) but 11-15th finishes in the championship were celebrated.

i'm not sure I see anyone celebrating a 2-1 loss to burton, or 2-2 with morcambe. just as theres very little in the way for calling for managers head, yet.

Far more enjoyable football on 07:45 - Aug 15 with 2508 viewsitfcjoe

Far more enjoyable football on 07:37 - Aug 15 by textbackup

we've been doing it for years though, even (and I realise the gulf in quality is large) but 11-15th finishes in the championship were celebrated.

i'm not sure I see anyone celebrating a 2-1 loss to burton, or 2-2 with morcambe. just as theres very little in the way for calling for managers head, yet.

There seems a number of posts, including this one, saying how enjoyable the football is. How we are battering teams and dominating them - we haven’t even been ahead this season yet and that game state makes a massive difference.

I feel those going massively OTT about how good things are are doing more damage than anyone, because people just don’t buy it when we start like this.

Thought yesterday was a backward step, very little good to take away from it bar a couple of individual performances (Edwards especially looks the absolute nuts), I’m not worried about it as ultimately we have good players at this level and that will make the difference when push comes to shove, and Cook is a proven manager - but can’t dress it up as something it isn’t!

Far more enjoyable football on 07:50 - Aug 15 with 2492 viewstextbackup

Far more enjoyable football on 07:45 - Aug 15 by itfcjoe

There seems a number of posts, including this one, saying how enjoyable the football is. How we are battering teams and dominating them - we haven’t even been ahead this season yet and that game state makes a massive difference.

I feel those going massively OTT about how good things are are doing more damage than anyone, because people just don’t buy it when we start like this.

Thought yesterday was a backward step, very little good to take away from it bar a couple of individual performances (Edwards especially looks the absolute nuts), I’m not worried about it as ultimately we have good players at this level and that will make the difference when push comes to shove, and Cook is a proven manager - but can’t dress it up as something it isn’t!

its just some fans wanting to be positive, that's cool with me, if they want to believe all is great let them crack on.

majority know a cool head is going to need to be applied for atleast the first 12/15 games, where, like you say, there will be individual moments that stand out, more than the team looking anywhere near the complete article.

I "think" we'll be ok, season wont be the whitewash piss the league some were hoping for, a load of mixed results, and I think we'll get stronger as it goes on.

Far more enjoyable football on 07:59 - Aug 15 with 2445 viewsitfcjoe

Far more enjoyable football on 07:50 - Aug 15 by textbackup

its just some fans wanting to be positive, that's cool with me, if they want to believe all is great let them crack on.

majority know a cool head is going to need to be applied for atleast the first 12/15 games, where, like you say, there will be individual moments that stand out, more than the team looking anywhere near the complete article.

I "think" we'll be ok, season wont be the whitewash piss the league some were hoping for, a load of mixed results, and I think we'll get stronger as it goes on.

I can’t see anything but top 4 or 5 unless things totally go to sh*t. The problem is of the bad start drags on and on then, coupled with his record last season, people will panic - and that may include the owners who didn’t appoint him.

Far more enjoyable football on 08:03 - Aug 15 with 2426 viewstextbackup

Far more enjoyable football on 07:59 - Aug 15 by itfcjoe

I can’t see anything but top 4 or 5 unless things totally go to sh*t. The problem is of the bad start drags on and on then, coupled with his record last season, people will panic - and that may include the owners who didn’t appoint him.

yeah, I do get that. and just as those who want to be ultra positive have a right to, those that want to be worried have the right to...… just seems very few middle grounders at this club these days.

its either hms piss the league, or cook out..... guess that's social media for ya.

no idea how Burley would have been viewed in this day and age.

Far more enjoyable football on 08:08 - Aug 15 with 2410 viewsitfcjoe

Far more enjoyable football on 08:03 - Aug 15 by textbackup

yeah, I do get that. and just as those who want to be ultra positive have a right to, those that want to be worried have the right to...… just seems very few middle grounders at this club these days.

its either hms piss the league, or cook out..... guess that's social media for ya.

no idea how Burley would have been viewed in this day and age.

Burley was a great manager who kept us moving forwards whilst making clever signings and bringing through youngsters - he’d have been fine!

Far more enjoyable football on 08:11 - Aug 15 with 2387 viewstextbackup

Far more enjoyable football on 08:08 - Aug 15 by itfcjoe

Burley was a great manager who kept us moving forwards whilst making clever signings and bringing through youngsters - he’d have been fine!

you'd like to think so..... but, have my doubts

Far more enjoyable football on 08:16 - Aug 15 with 2355 viewspointofblue

Maybe but he didn’t change our course straight away after taking over, early on he presided over the 9-0, and we ended up finishing seventh in our first year after relegation. I was too young to remember what the expectation was for that season but I imagine there would have been more than a few saying he wasn’t capable of turning it around.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Far more enjoyable football on 08:23 - Aug 15 with 2314 viewsBrightonBlue

Burley was a great manager, but I wonder with the desperate craving for instant success that is only amplified under social media, how much pressure would have built when we were languishing towards the bottom of the championship each autumn in 96/97 and 97/98.

Indeed, you may recall the Gerry Creaney and David Whyte era, where there were plenty of chants for Burley to sort it out.

The Burley era was fantastic but let’s not rewrite history and pretend it was all rosy. Thankfully we had owners that placed faith in the manager to sort it out. Something we hope they do now. Let’s get behind the team and support them. Good times will come.
[Post edited 15 Aug 2021 13:42]
Far more enjoyable football on 08:23 - Aug 15 with 2314 viewsitfcjoe

Far more enjoyable football on 08:16 - Aug 15 by pointofblue

Maybe but he didn’t change our course straight away after taking over, early on he presided over the 9-0, and we ended up finishing seventh in our first year after relegation. I was too young to remember what the expectation was for that season but I imagine there would have been more than a few saying he wasn’t capable of turning it around.

Some people equate the job Burley had to do, which was turn round a team that was one of the worst teams the PL had ever seen and were rock bottom as the same as a team that were 7th in the league

Far more enjoyable football on 08:28 - Aug 15 with 2279 viewsHerbivore

Far more enjoyable football on 08:16 - Aug 15 by pointofblue

A lot of pundits were tipping us to do a Swindon and be relegated straight away to the third division. Finishing 7th (should have made the play offs as well) was a good season for us.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Far more enjoyable football on 08:31 - Aug 15 with 2266 viewstextbackup

Far more enjoyable football on 08:28 - Aug 15 by Herbivore

A lot of pundits were tipping us to do a Swindon and be relegated straight away to the third division. Finishing 7th (should have made the play offs as well) was a good season for us.

how do you finish 7th, but should have made playoffs work? out of interest

Far more enjoyable football on 08:31 - Aug 15 with 2263 viewspointofblue

Far more enjoyable football on 08:28 - Aug 15 by Herbivore

That was my first or second year as a season ticket holder but I was only seven - I’m glad I didn’t realise what was being predicted then!

Far more enjoyable football on 08:35 - Aug 15 with 2239 viewsHerbivore

Far more enjoyable football on 08:31 - Aug 15 by textbackup

how do you finish 7th, but should have made playoffs work? out of interest

We were top 6 leading up to the final game and only needed to beat Millwall at home on the final game. We had a couple of strikers missing, Millwall parked the bus, the rest is history. We'd been good enough over the season to make the top 6 so it was a shame to miss out but we over achieved versus expectations by finishing 7th. So what I mean is my opinion is we ought to have made the top 6 given the position we were in going into the last day and we were unlucky to miss out but it was a good season nonetheless.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Far more enjoyable football on 08:41 - Aug 15 with 2206 viewspointofblue

Far more enjoyable football on 08:35 - Aug 15 by Herbivore

We were top 6 leading up to the final game and only needed to beat Millwall at home on the final game. We had a couple of strikers missing, Millwall parked the bus, the rest is history. We'd been good enough over the season to make the top 6 so it was a shame to miss out but we over achieved versus expectations by finishing 7th. So what I mean is my opinion is we ought to have made the top 6 given the position we were in going into the last day and we were unlucky to miss out but it was a good season nonetheless.

Which was odd as I seem to remember Millwall needed to win in order to avoid relegation. In the end a draw didn’t help out either side and Millwall fans smashed up the visiting enclosure.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024