Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cricket: There goes Pant 11:16 - Aug 16 with 6327 viewsSteve_M

194/7. Robinson with the wicket.

[Post edited 16 Aug 2021 11:22]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Cricket: There goes Pant on 20:35 - Aug 16 with 527 viewsFunge

Cricket: There goes Pant on 20:19 - Aug 16 by pointofblue

Though it's not like our current batsmen (Root excluded) are suited to tests... or international cricket... either.

Well, quite - but there's a wider issue there, which is the change in focus away from 'long' cricket to short.

The Hundred is another example of this - the gradual transformation of Cricket into Baseball.
Cricket: There goes Pant on 20:39 - Aug 16 with 521 viewsRadlett_blue

Cricket: There goes Pant on 20:33 - Aug 16 by Funge

Hmmm, Hameed's opened at County level - I really don't know.

Whoever he opens with, will get out for not many, as will the Number 3; then we're a few for 2, and there's loads of pressure on him and Root....

Plus ca change....

It's a huge mess. Arguably too much emphasis on ODI/ T20 cricket; none of these batsmen can bat time apart from Sibley, and his problem is that he doesn't know what runs are.

Indeed, easy to make a case for dropping Sibley & Hameed. Yes, bring in Pope but putting anyone else in is a gamble as well as so little first class cricket is now played in England.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Cricket: There goes Pant on 21:25 - Aug 16 with 487 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Cricket: There goes Pant on 20:33 - Aug 16 by Funge

Hmmm, Hameed's opened at County level - I really don't know.

Whoever he opens with, will get out for not many, as will the Number 3; then we're a few for 2, and there's loads of pressure on him and Root....

Plus ca change....

It's a huge mess. Arguably too much emphasis on ODI/ T20 cricket; none of these batsmen can bat time apart from Sibley, and his problem is that he doesn't know what runs are.

I would suggest open with Hameed and Sibley. If Sibley stays in and Hameed does score the runs and hang around, that would be less pressure than coming in at 1 down for not many and soon after being there with 2 down.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Cricket: There goes Pant on 09:11 - Aug 17 with 415 viewsN2_Blue

Cricket: There goes Pant on 21:25 - Aug 16 by Nthsuffolkblue

I would suggest open with Hameed and Sibley. If Sibley stays in and Hameed does score the runs and hang around, that would be less pressure than coming in at 1 down for not many and soon after being there with 2 down.

Sibley actually has the mentality of a test opener and plays in exactly the way you want a test opener to play.

The problem is he just a terribly limited player, and not actually especially good. Rather than having any real talent its all about graft and application which is admirable in one way.

But there are plenty of far more talented openers than him that just need to have the same mentality and application.

Talent cannot be coached but the application and mentality can. No doubt the bias to shorter format of the game has contributed to losing this approach.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Cricket: There goes Pant on 09:25 - Aug 17 with 411 viewsSteve_M

Cricket: There goes Pant on 19:01 - Aug 16 by Ftnfwest

Disappointed but I was never that ‘up’ after yesterday to be honest. India at 154 ahead with one of the most dangerous players in the world still at the crease, and we’ve only chased 200+ twice in a 4th innings at Lords didn’t make me feel that we were favourites by much! After he went cheaply we briefly were but that dissipated in about 20 minutes. No way back from that though, some game efforts across the match by a few England players but just not enough quality in that side to be competitive again against India.

I thought if we got the wickets by lunch then we had a decent chance but with a bit of a rain forecast it was a long way from an England win. I think I'm most frustrated at how quickly we let India score, bad enough not to threaten them but an hour that completely changed the match.

Last two days it was a pitch where settled partnerships took real effort to break but wickets fell in clusters. Even with the way India attacked in the field, they must have been sweating it at times, Butler & Robinson in particular did well but I think Baristow going on a review Kohli didn't really believe in was the critical moment.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Cricket: There goes Pant on 10:02 - Aug 17 with 390 viewsHerbivore

Cricket: There goes Pant on 09:11 - Aug 17 by N2_Blue

Sibley actually has the mentality of a test opener and plays in exactly the way you want a test opener to play.

The problem is he just a terribly limited player, and not actually especially good. Rather than having any real talent its all about graft and application which is admirable in one way.

But there are plenty of far more talented openers than him that just need to have the same mentality and application.

Talent cannot be coached but the application and mentality can. No doubt the bias to shorter format of the game has contributed to losing this approach.

I'd say both Sibley and Burns for the most part show the kind of application you want from opening batsmen, they just aren't good enough at cricket. We've definitely had more talented batsmen come in and do just as badly or worse than them. I do think we need to try and have one of the two openers as someone capable of scoring a little more freely. Not sure who that player is though.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Cricket: There goes Pant on 13:09 - Aug 17 with 361 viewsIpswichKnight

Sam Robson at Middlesex has opened for England and I’d say is a better player than Sibley. Suspect Hameed will move up to open with Burns and probably Malan in at 3. Number 3 is another problem we have Root, Pope, Bairstow, Stokes, Butler and Lawrence available at times and none of them play at 3 for there counties. Should add I think Crawley is an opener too.

Might be changes in the bowling, Robinson and Ali will play but is Anderson due a rest? Is Woods shoulder ok to play 2 tests on the trot and Curran can’t buy a run and looks very unthreatening when bowling.

Not sure we have much genuine fast bowlers left who are fit! Overton has never looked more than decent county standard when I’ve seen him and he’s the current bowling reserve.
Cricket: There goes Pant on 13:40 - Aug 17 with 351 viewsChrisd

Cricket: There goes Pant on 13:09 - Aug 17 by IpswichKnight

Sam Robson at Middlesex has opened for England and I’d say is a better player than Sibley. Suspect Hameed will move up to open with Burns and probably Malan in at 3. Number 3 is another problem we have Root, Pope, Bairstow, Stokes, Butler and Lawrence available at times and none of them play at 3 for there counties. Should add I think Crawley is an opener too.

Might be changes in the bowling, Robinson and Ali will play but is Anderson due a rest? Is Woods shoulder ok to play 2 tests on the trot and Curran can’t buy a run and looks very unthreatening when bowling.

Not sure we have much genuine fast bowlers left who are fit! Overton has never looked more than decent county standard when I’ve seen him and he’s the current bowling reserve.

You make some really good points here IpswichKnight. I'd keep Burns in personally, he still has just enough in the bank and when he does get in, he can score more freely than Sibley, but who partners him? Hameed looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights, who else is there? Pope is a very talented batsmen and reminds me so much of Ian Bell at the crease, however he hasn't played much cricket recently. Malan certainly could be an option at 3, could Vince be another? He is such a talented and fluent batsmen, but that waft outside off stump is a huge weakness as well as a strength. The current ECB selection process is beginning to remind me of those England sides of the 90s, constant chopping and changing. Thought we'd learnt our lessons from that dark period?

Completely agree regarding your comments about Overton!
[Post edited 17 Aug 2021 17:17]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024