Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Woolfenden 09:39 - Aug 17 with 3194 viewsGrumpy_Old_Man

I see he seems to have become the latest target for constant criticism.

What he needs, and he's still young and learning, is a regular CB partner with who he can build a partnership.

From memory he played alongside:

Chambers
Wilson
McGuiness
Nsiala
Donacien
Ndaba
+ anyone i've missed

I feel quite sure we will see his full potential given time.
Woolfenden on 09:42 - Aug 17 with 2413 viewsitfcpaul

The fact is he just isnt good enough, he is too casuL, not strong enough, doesnt win enough ariel battles, can't pass, unless lumping it upfield is a pas

Poll: Who would you want as Ipswich manager in November. there aren't many candidates

Woolfenden on 09:51 - Aug 17 with 2344 viewsBasuco

He is much better at right CB than left CB, he was also better with an experienced head next to him, Chambo last season, he is a good CB and if he continues to progress will be a great CB, but does need to work on strength and winning the aerial battles more. But I feel he can and will develop his game as CB's do tend to be that bit older before hitting their prime. Being played in his correct position will be key to development.
Woolfenden on 09:52 - Aug 17 with 2335 viewsitfcpaul

Woolfenden on 09:51 - Aug 17 by Basuco

He is much better at right CB than left CB, he was also better with an experienced head next to him, Chambo last season, he is a good CB and if he continues to progress will be a great CB, but does need to work on strength and winning the aerial battles more. But I feel he can and will develop his game as CB's do tend to be that bit older before hitting their prime. Being played in his correct position will be key to development.

And that is correct but right now he just isnt ready

Poll: Who would you want as Ipswich manager in November. there aren't many candidates

Woolfenden on 09:53 - Aug 17 with 2332 viewsitfcsuth

I do think some criticism towards him is warranted. He has somewhat regressed since his breakthrough season.

He's not an aggressive defender, not particularly physically commanding. However having someone like Burgess alongside him to be that physically commanding defender may help, and with Burgess being naturally left footed will move Woolfenden across to his preferred right hand side.
Woolfenden on 09:55 - Aug 17 with 2313 viewsWallingford_Boy

Woolfenden on 09:42 - Aug 17 by itfcpaul

The fact is he just isnt good enough, he is too casuL, not strong enough, doesnt win enough ariel battles, can't pass, unless lumping it upfield is a pas

Did alright Saturday, won plenty of ariel battles.

One sleepy pass near the end, but solid enough.

RIP Sir Bobby

Woolfenden on 10:01 - Aug 17 with 2289 viewsBasuco

Woolfenden on 09:52 - Aug 17 by itfcpaul

And that is correct but right now he just isnt ready

I had to miss the Morecombe game but looking forward to seeing how Cook is shaping up the new side on Saturday. Hopefully he will be getting his idea's across soon.
Woolfenden on 10:03 - Aug 17 with 2280 viewsDubtractor

Woolfenden on 09:42 - Aug 17 by itfcpaul

With all due respect, some of that isn't borne out by the evidence. He hasn't had an amazing start to the season, and it was a bad mistake against Morecambe, but he has a lot of the tools to be a good defender at this level at least.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Woolfenden on 10:05 - Aug 17 with 2272 viewsblu_dru

Well his main strength is meant to be using the ball well and when he gets it nicked off him for dwelling on it leading to goals people will be frustrated. Does seem to have regressed, hopeful he will turn it around.
Login to get fewer ads

Woolfenden on 10:31 - Aug 17 with 2189 viewsMookamoo

Woolfenden on 10:03 - Aug 17 by Dubtractor

With all due respect, some of that isn't borne out by the evidence. He hasn't had an amazing start to the season, and it was a bad mistake against Morecambe, but he has a lot of the tools to be a good defender at this level at least.

Good the see some facts.

I think he sometimes struggles in a back 4 and would be much better in a back 3, or even as a holding midfielder.

Positionally he is excellent, just needs too long on the ball to do anything meaningful with it, or avoid something bad happening. They need to work on his decision making, which hopefully will improve with some decent coaching and playing alongside someone that can mentor him. It will also improve once we start playing with confidence.
Woolfenden on 10:37 - Aug 17 with 2152 viewswkj

It is frustrating to see Woolfenden showing up in the goals we concede when he actually does a lot right in the games. It is easy to see why he's being singled out as big mistakes can often snuff out good performances in the eyes of the fans.

However, what is the solution? We clearly have mistakes in the team that cost us points - is what's best for Wolfenden going to end up being what's best for the team?

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Woolfenden on 10:43 - Aug 17 with 2120 viewsreusersfreekicks

Woolfenden on 10:05 - Aug 17 by blu_dru

Well his main strength is meant to be using the ball well and when he gets it nicked off him for dwelling on it leading to goals people will be frustrated. Does seem to have regressed, hopeful he will turn it around.

A decent spell of decent coaching is needed. Plus sufficient desire
Woolfenden on 11:07 - Aug 17 with 2027 viewsitfcpaul

Woolfenden on 10:37 - Aug 17 by wkj

It is frustrating to see Woolfenden showing up in the goals we concede when he actually does a lot right in the games. It is easy to see why he's being singled out as big mistakes can often snuff out good performances in the eyes of the fans.

However, what is the solution? We clearly have mistakes in the team that cost us points - is what's best for Wolfenden going to end up being what's best for the team?

It' snot what you do right in a game as a defender it's what you do wrong and he hasnt been good enough, example being Toto, he could play amazingly well for 89 minutes but make a mistake and thats all you hear about.............

Woolfenden on 11:23 - Aug 17 with 1980 viewsSteve_M

Woolfenden on 10:03 - Aug 17 by Dubtractor

Indeed, he won a load of good early defensive headers on Saturday. The goals conceded were organisational failings, not individual errors unless we want to count KVY getting caught upfield or Evans' overly ambitious pass for the second one.

Far too much is made of the second Morecombe goal, a bad mistake but just that not indicative of all the other failings ascribed to LW. He was crap last season but came back well at the end of it.

Him, Burgess and Edmundson looks like a good set of defenders for this level with Toto & Donacien as back up.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Woolfenden on 11:29 - Aug 17 with 1954 viewsHighgateBlue

The solution may well be Burgess and Edmundson together, with the Wolf on the bench. He can get game time in the cups if we manage to stay in any...
Woolfenden on 11:32 - Aug 17 with 1938 viewsitfcjoe

I do think he appears to be the scapegoat at the moment - bad error v Morecambe of course - but in the 3 games this season he has had so much of the ball

Morecambe - 72 touches, 90% pass accuracy
Newport - 108 touches, 89% pass accuracy
Burton - 88 touches, 82% accuracy

Bearing in mind he's made a number of long passes, they cover 75% of the times he's lost the ball - so he's been good in possession, and been asked a lot of.

I haven't seen any criticism of Lee Evans on here, the ball he played which led directly to their penalty on Satirday was absolutely criminal - a floated square pass which took 3 of our own players out of the game.

In the same way Woolf has made a big error and been largely very good on the ball, the same can be said for Evans whose passing against Morecambe was exceptional.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Woolfenden on 11:55 - Aug 17 with 1854 viewsfranz_tyson

Woolfenden on 11:32 - Aug 17 by itfcjoe

I do think he appears to be the scapegoat at the moment - bad error v Morecambe of course - but in the 3 games this season he has had so much of the ball

Bearing in mind he's made a number of long passes, they cover 75% of the times he's lost the ball - so he's been good in possession, and been asked a lot of.

I haven't seen any criticism of Lee Evans on here, the ball he played which led directly to their penalty on Satirday was absolutely criminal - a floated square pass which took 3 of our own players out of the game.

In the same way Woolf has made a big error and been largely very good on the ball, the same can be said for Evans whose passing against Morecambe was exceptional.

It’s a decent point above Evans. His pass caused their break and he hasn’t copped much flak. Yes, and Woolf does appear to be scapegoat.

And I thought Woolf was OK. But one thing that has started to annoy me is he has to play beside an experienced CB. He’s not entitled to be shoe-horned into that side and also has to have an experienced CB beside him. If we have to provide a baby-sitter for him, that says enough.
He might not be the finished product, but he should have enough experience to know the basics. I just think he’s over-rated. If his strength is being comfortable on the ball I don’t see enough of the benefits of that to compensate for his weaknesses. And he is too casual.
I just hope Edmundson and Burgess are an upgrade and improve the quality of defending. Then it’s up to Woolf to up his game when he gets a chance.
Woolfenden on 11:55 - Aug 17 with 1854 viewsDJR

I agree. For both of the goals at Burton, KVY was caught upfield, and Wolfenden did the right thing in trying to hold up his man. The fault was that those inside him were not picked up, and the blame for this could be said to fall in part on the central midfielders, who are meant to cover in such situations.
The problem it seems to me with this system is that if the central midfielders are meant to hang back to cover, there is a great gap between them and those further forward, so very little is likely to come through the middle.
Woolfenden on 11:56 - Aug 17 with 1835 viewsmrshallisfit

Surely the main criticism is lack of concentration, leading to errors that have led to goals. If he can come more reliable and cut out these errors you then have a decent young defender.
Woolfenden on 11:57 - Aug 17 with 1830 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Woolfenden on 11:55 - Aug 17 by DJR

I agree. For both of the goals at Burton, KVY was caught upfield, and Wolfenden did the right thing in trying to hold up his man. The fault was that those inside him were not picked up, and the blame for this could be said to fall in part on the central midfielders, who are meant to cover in such situations.
The problem it seems to me with this system is that if the central midfielders are meant to hang back to cover, there is a great gap between them and those further forward, so very little is likely to come through the middle.

Re KVY - Isnt it supposedly part of the system that because the full backs bomb on they will sometimes get caught upfield, and its upto the CD's and CDM's to cover?

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Woolfenden on 11:59 - Aug 17 with 1801 viewsPinewoodblue

Woolfenden on 11:55 - Aug 17 by DJR

System needs fine tuning, which will happen overtime. We shouldn’t be discussing the errors that have lead to us conceding. We are where we are because we have failed to take our chances to score.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Woolfenden on 12:00 - Aug 17 with 1799 viewsSteve_M

Woolfenden on 11:57 - Aug 17 by Marshalls_Mullet

Re KVY - Isnt it supposedly part of the system that because the full backs bomb on they will sometimes get caught upfield, and its upto the CD's and CDM's to cover?

Yes, which is why I think the failings were organisational. I'm still a bit concerned about KVY's fitness, might just be he missed some of pre-season and is a couple of week's behind but the lack of sharpness was telling Saturday.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Woolfenden on 12:08 - Aug 17 with 1756 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Woolfenden on 12:00 - Aug 17 by Steve_M

Yes, which is why I think the failings were organisational. I'm still a bit concerned about KVY's fitness, might just be he missed some of pre-season and is a couple of week's behind but the lack of sharpness was telling Saturday.

Given that he's been out for c.18 months I'd be amazed if we see KVY back to his old standards.

I hope we do though!!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Woolfenden on 12:09 - Aug 17 with 1752 viewsitfcjoe

Woolfenden on 11:55 - Aug 17 by franz_tyson

It’s a decent point above Evans. His pass caused their break and he hasn’t copped much flak. Yes, and Woolf does appear to be scapegoat.

And I thought Woolf was OK. But one thing that has started to annoy me is he has to play beside an experienced CB. He’s not entitled to be shoe-horned into that side and also has to have an experienced CB beside him. If we have to provide a baby-sitter for him, that says enough.
He might not be the finished product, but he should have enough experience to know the basics. I just think he’s over-rated. If his strength is being comfortable on the ball I don’t see enough of the benefits of that to compensate for his weaknesses. And he is too casual.
I just hope Edmundson and Burgess are an upgrade and improve the quality of defending. Then it’s up to Woolf to up his game when he gets a chance.

I don't think it is unusual for a younger CB to be better with an organiser alongside them - he still has a lot to learn and trying to help McGuinness through his game last year is not great.

Nsiala is 30 and is still much better when he has someone alongside him to organise and cover - i.e. Wilson last year. Him and Woolf are totally different types of defenders, but both better alongside a certain type.

Woolfenden on 12:11 - Aug 17 with 1734 viewsitfcjoe

Woolfenden on 12:00 - Aug 17 by Steve_M

I spoke to a former player who shall remain nameless on Sunday and said how KVY had struggled vs Akins - his reply that Akins was a beast and if you don't dominate him physically he will get his tail up and just run all over you - which is a fairly accurate summation of what happened.

KVY was disappointing, but Akins was excellent going both ways - not ideal to see but in games that are more stretched you'd hope to see his confidence go up. The midfield 2 need to sniff danger out a bit better when he goes though

Woolfenden on 12:15 - Aug 17 with 1696 viewsBlueBadger

Woolfenden on 09:53 - Aug 17 by itfcsuth

I do think some criticism towards him is warranted. He has somewhat regressed since his breakthrough season.

He's not an aggressive defender, not particularly physically commanding. However having someone like Burgess alongside him to be that physically commanding defender may help, and with Burgess being naturally left footed will move Woolfenden across to his preferred right hand side.

In all fairness, he's probably had little to no actual proper coaching since he broke through.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024