Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Janoi Donacien 08:11 - Aug 18 with 2374 viewsKeaneish

Worst fears confirmed last night (as if they were in any doubt). I’d argue that’s going to be one of Donacien’s easier games this season and he looked pedestrian and very uncomfortable last night. Time and time again he looked for the comfy pass, which slowed the play or spurned possession. I thought his positioning going forward was about 10 - 15 yards behind the play every time and he needlessly shanked it out when not under pressure or gave away plenty of avoidable throw-ins to play to their strength.

Afraid to say but it’s very evident, his season is going to be extremely limited now and I wouldn’t be surprised to see an RB come in on loan.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Janoi Donacien on 08:12 - Aug 18 with 1984 viewsportmanking

You have to say that Donacien is probably a better centre half than a RB in a forward-thinking side. In a team that's focused more on limiting the opposition, JD is fine as a one-to-one defender, but we need more than that.
Janoi Donacien on 08:14 - Aug 18 with 1949 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Please no more loans!!

We have KVY and Burns who can play that role.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Janoi Donacien on 08:17 - Aug 18 with 1887 viewsHerbivore

Thought he largely did okay to be honest. Certainly wasn't our main problem, far from it.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Janoi Donacien on 08:22 - Aug 18 with 1828 viewschrismakin

Janoi Donacien on 08:17 - Aug 18 by Herbivore

Thought he largely did okay to be honest. Certainly wasn't our main problem, far from it.

I keep seeing that he gave away needless throws. IMO that's not entirely fair, if you've got a player breathing down your neck, you need to get rid, sometimes you have the luxury of being able to pass it either back to keeper or across, but if that path is blocked, then the only way is out. If he spent to much time worrying about trying to keep the ball, he'd probably have ended up losing it and they would have had a free run to the box.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Janoi Donacien on 08:23 - Aug 18 with 1831 viewsitfcjoe

Been saying for weeks that he is just not a back up in this system - it's totally unsuited to what is required of him - interesting to know what would have happened had Burns been fit?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Janoi Donacien on 08:26 - Aug 18 with 1786 viewsWallingford_Boy

He had a bit of a shocker.

KVY’s loss of form is worrying, but not entirely surprising given how long he’s been out.

Donacien is a much better CB and he’s average at best there!

RIP Sir Bobby

Janoi Donacien on 08:26 - Aug 18 with 1763 viewsZXBlue

Odd comments. He was absolutely fine.
Janoi Donacien on 08:29 - Aug 18 with 1743 viewsKeaneish

Janoi Donacien on 08:23 - Aug 18 by itfcjoe

Been saying for weeks that he is just not a back up in this system - it's totally unsuited to what is required of him - interesting to know what would have happened had Burns been fit?

Agreed and I’ve seen you say as much. Donacien can’t play in tight spaces, he’s just not equipped to do it. If we’re going to deploy full backs wide to hug the touch line, they need to be comfortable in those situations - he isn’t. Another gripe from last night is that the passes he played were the type of low risk / bare minimum passes you know you can get away with. We need more if PC’s style is going to come to fruition.

A back-up centre back for me this season.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Login to get fewer ads

Janoi Donacien on 08:32 - Aug 18 with 1691 viewsWallingford_Boy

Janoi Donacien on 08:26 - Aug 18 by ZXBlue

Odd comments. He was absolutely fine.

No... no he wasn’t.

RIP Sir Bobby

Janoi Donacien on 08:45 - Aug 18 with 1563 viewsHerbivore

Janoi Donacien on 08:32 - Aug 18 by Wallingford_Boy

No... no he wasn’t.

He was fine. He wasn't any better than fine but he was fine. He certainly wasn't the reason we lost that game.

Janoi Donacien on 08:46 - Aug 18 with 1556 viewsmrshallisfit

Janoi Donacien on 08:12 - Aug 18 by portmanking

You have to say that Donacien is probably a better centre half than a RB in a forward-thinking side. In a team that's focused more on limiting the opposition, JD is fine as a one-to-one defender, but we need more than that.

We paid 750K for that. And 1.6M for Jackson. Hope Burgess is better value for money.
Janoi Donacien on 08:53 - Aug 18 with 1478 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Janoi Donacien on 08:29 - Aug 18 by Keaneish

Agreed and I’ve seen you say as much. Donacien can’t play in tight spaces, he’s just not equipped to do it. If we’re going to deploy full backs wide to hug the touch line, they need to be comfortable in those situations - he isn’t. Another gripe from last night is that the passes he played were the type of low risk / bare minimum passes you know you can get away with. We need more if PC’s style is going to come to fruition.

A back-up centre back for me this season.

Seem to be over thinking the RB situation.

We have a good first choice in KVY, and good back up in Burns.

JD is effectively 3rd choice.

You can only have so many back ups.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Janoi Donacien on 08:55 - Aug 18 with 1457 viewsDarth_Koont

Like a few others, I thought he was absolutely fine.

Pronouns: He/Him

Janoi Donacien on 08:59 - Aug 18 with 1398 viewsArnieM

The whole of the back four looked for the “comfy pass” - all bloody night ! Passing it about side to side like we had all the time in the world . WHY???

There’s was minimal urgency after we’d scored what some players thought was the winner. I’d even suggest there was a hint of arrogance in our play as we “ stroked it around “ for loooong periods of play , rarely looking to get the ball into Cheltenham’s half of oerishbthdd Ed thought get the ball into their box ….. again, Why?

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Janoi Donacien on 08:59 - Aug 18 with 1405 viewschicoazul

Starting to become very suspicious of this negative chatter about Janoi. He doesn’t seem to be anything like the main reason we are doing badly, informed sensible posters are saying he is playing ok not a world beater but ok, and yet he seems to be singled out game on game.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Janoi Donacien on 09:05 - Aug 18 with 1310 viewsZXBlue

Janoi Donacien on 08:59 - Aug 18 by chicoazul

Starting to become very suspicious of this negative chatter about Janoi. He doesn’t seem to be anything like the main reason we are doing badly, informed sensible posters are saying he is playing ok not a world beater but ok, and yet he seems to be singled out game on game.

Indeed. Its bizarre to single out a perfectly comeptent performance from him last night.
Janoi Donacien on 09:09 - Aug 18 with 1281 viewsITFC_RDM

Janoi Donacien on 08:17 - Aug 18 by Herbivore

He definitely was the main problem, but not really through any fault of his own. We all's very limited as a footballer, so being asked to play in a role where he was required to go forward and overlap on the front foot was just daft. it's where it broke down time after time for us. He doesn't trust himself to beat a man or put in a decent ball, so just came back every time. Cook should have ben able to see that and KVY should have been his first change on 55 mins or even earlier. Really poor game management from Cook. That was my biggest worry from last night.
Janoi Donacien on 09:11 - Aug 18 with 1259 viewstimothyeo

Janoi Donacien on 08:59 - Aug 18 by ArnieM

The whole of the back four looked for the “comfy pass” - all bloody night ! Passing it about side to side like we had all the time in the world . WHY???

There’s was minimal urgency after we’d scored what some players thought was the winner. I’d even suggest there was a hint of arrogance in our play as we “ stroked it around “ for loooong periods of play , rarely looking to get the ball into Cheltenham’s half of oerishbthdd Ed thought get the ball into their box ….. again, Why?

Coaching, probably.
Janoi Donacien on 09:11 - Aug 18 with 1258 viewsRozz

Janoi Donacien on 08:55 - Aug 18 by Darth_Koont

Like a few others, I thought he was absolutely fine.

Tend to agree. Last time out people were saying KVY was leaving gaping holes and not being physical enough, so we put in Janoi as a direct response to add some physicality & height against the long throw and set pieces. I thought he did OK.

He's not going to be a marauding wingback, but he's a fairly solid option that can play across the back 4. We'll need some of his qualities in games this term.
Janoi Donacien on 09:14 - Aug 18 with 1219 viewsJakeITFC

I don't particularly rate Donacien, Woolfenden or Penney at current, it seems like we will be able to improve all three of these with players in our squad. Bigger worry is that they were all fine last night, so is it a more systemic issue that we are facing?
Janoi Donacien on 09:17 - Aug 18 with 1177 viewsHerbivore

Janoi Donacien on 09:09 - Aug 18 by ITFC_RDM

He definitely was the main problem, but not really through any fault of his own. We all's very limited as a footballer, so being asked to play in a role where he was required to go forward and overlap on the front foot was just daft. it's where it broke down time after time for us. He doesn't trust himself to beat a man or put in a decent ball, so just came back every time. Cook should have ben able to see that and KVY should have been his first change on 55 mins or even earlier. Really poor game management from Cook. That was my biggest worry from last night.

I honestly don't know what you were watching if you think Donacien was our main problem last night.

Janoi Donacien on 09:19 - Aug 18 with 1156 viewsSteve_M

He doesn't have the attacking game to play in the system but a few poor passes and a missed clearance in the first half he was generally fine defensively last night. He certainly wasn't why we lost, that remains organisational failings as is the case for six of the seven goals we've conceded this season (Penny/Wolf fk up the other).

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Janoi Donacien on 09:20 - Aug 18 with 1148 viewsHerbivore

Janoi Donacien on 09:14 - Aug 18 by JakeITFC

I don't particularly rate Donacien, Woolfenden or Penney at current, it seems like we will be able to improve all three of these with players in our squad. Bigger worry is that they were all fine last night, so is it a more systemic issue that we are facing?

I thought Penney was the weak link defensively. He's a good footballer but very lightweight and doesn't win aerial battles. He ended up in no man's land for their equaliser, half covering Burgess' man when he didn't really need to, and leaving the goalscorer more or less unmarked for a simple headed finish. He's been at fault for a decent proportion of our goals so far.

Janoi Donacien on 09:24 - Aug 18 with 1081 viewsITFC_RDM

Janoi Donacien on 09:17 - Aug 18 by Herbivore

I honestly don't know what you were watching if you think Donacien was our main problem last night.

Defensively he did fine, no problems there. Every time we went forward down the right (and to be quite honest pretty often down the left) the ball just came back to where it came from and everything slowed down. The main problem last night was Cook. Saying that, Bonne puts that chance away (how did he miss?) and we go on to win that game very comfortably. Cook didn't react at all to Cheltenham coming back into the game and was punished for it.
Janoi Donacien on 09:25 - Aug 18 with 1076 viewsJakeITFC

Janoi Donacien on 09:20 - Aug 18 by Herbivore

I thought Penney was the weak link defensively. He's a good footballer but very lightweight and doesn't win aerial battles. He ended up in no man's land for their equaliser, half covering Burgess' man when he didn't really need to, and leaving the goalscorer more or less unmarked for a simple headed finish. He's been at fault for a decent proportion of our goals so far.

I think we can pinpoint individual errors for most of our goals conceded so far (and also some fairly clear cut chances to score at the other) which should be a resolvable issue with better players coming in, but I'm just worried that for large portions of games we don't have much of an answer for when average to poor League One sides turn it on a bit.

Our midfield in the second half was simply overrun - Carroll is a lovely footballer but he's not going to help us in that regard, so how can we fix it?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024