Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tempo 09:48 - Aug 18 with 778 viewsportmanking

My biggest reservation so far has been the tempo, or lack of it. There was a 10-15 minute spell last night where we moved the ball quicker and carved through Cheltenham at will. But it was all too infrequent. It was a similar story at Burton - ten mins of prolonged intensity culminating in Barry's foul/penalty.

It seems like we're unable to sustain it for any length of time. There were times in both halves last night when I watched the back line passing it around and I thought "I could be watching Lambert's team here". Worse still, the passing around the back line still largely resulted in either full back launching it down the channels rather than a considered pass into the midfield.

Meh.
Tempo on 10:21 - Aug 18 with 721 viewsWilbrahamBlue

Didn't those spells excite you for what's to come though? Could you not see what it will be like when we are a few games further in? We were dominant to varying levels for the first 55-60 minutes and can easily argue that the 20 minute spell within that (in the first half) we looked a clear level above in terms of speed of thought, touch and passing ability? Harper receiving ball, turning and passing .........forward! Edwards a clear edge-of-seat player, the likes we haven't had or seen since god knows when? Piggott looked classy at times with lots of potential.

We expect to dominate 90 minutes and react with horror when another team has a period of dominance, even at this level, it happens.

Yes we need to wise up to how teams approach playing us, but we clearly will with Edmundson to come in with Burgess. Morecombe, Cheltenham and Newport literally played like cup games with nothing to lose so early on in season.
Tempo on 10:26 - Aug 18 with 704 viewsUncle_Bulgaria

Completely agree. Too easy to defend against when our possession is so unadventurous. No-one beyond Edwards was willing to run at/commit defenders.
Tempo on 10:32 - Aug 18 with 685 viewsBlueySwede

I think the tempo could maybe be a little bit better, but still much better than under Lambert. I think our decision making is more of a problem, but if I try to think positively I hope it will be better when we get more partnerships and understandings all over the pitch.
Tempo on 10:37 - Aug 18 with 669 viewsitfcjoe

We seem to very easily get knocked out of it as well - we came out at start of second half and looked really sharp - until about 52-53 minutes. A Morecambe player spent ages tying their shoe lace and we didn't get going again after that

At that point it looked like we would go on to comfortably win - but we just didn't recover, didn't get on the ball and didn't do anything to stop them - they had it all their own way from that point.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Tempo on 10:38 - Aug 18 with 662 viewsportmanking

Tempo on 10:32 - Aug 18 by BlueySwede

I think the tempo could maybe be a little bit better, but still much better than under Lambert. I think our decision making is more of a problem, but if I try to think positively I hope it will be better when we get more partnerships and understandings all over the pitch.

The tempo was only really 'upped' by Edwards. It was all too pedestrian otherwise. I dread to think what this XI would have looked like without signing Edwards.

You could see the style of play clearly against Morecambe, but since then we've reverted to Lambert-ball - slow, ponderous at the back and then just aimless balls into the channels or the middle of the park for opposing centre halves to gobble up.
Tempo on 10:39 - Aug 18 with 654 viewsportmanking

Tempo on 10:21 - Aug 18 by WilbrahamBlue

Didn't those spells excite you for what's to come though? Could you not see what it will be like when we are a few games further in? We were dominant to varying levels for the first 55-60 minutes and can easily argue that the 20 minute spell within that (in the first half) we looked a clear level above in terms of speed of thought, touch and passing ability? Harper receiving ball, turning and passing .........forward! Edwards a clear edge-of-seat player, the likes we haven't had or seen since god knows when? Piggott looked classy at times with lots of potential.

We expect to dominate 90 minutes and react with horror when another team has a period of dominance, even at this level, it happens.

Yes we need to wise up to how teams approach playing us, but we clearly will with Edmundson to come in with Burgess. Morecombe, Cheltenham and Newport literally played like cup games with nothing to lose so early on in season.

I don't expect us to dominate for 90 minutes whatsoever. I just expect us to be fitter, stronger and faster. After all, we have invested in some good second-tier players and a second-tier fitness regime. We shouldn't be the ones blowing out of our backsides with 20 minutes remaining.
Tempo on 10:43 - Aug 18 with 635 viewsLankHenners

It’s frustrating as we clearly have the quality to play at a good tempo but we almost seem to lose a little faith when teams dig in then regress into ourselves and become very timid if the other team breaks up the momentum or gets in our face.

The sort of thing that gets better the more time the team has together but equally we show our hand to future opponents as they know they may have to ride a bit of a storm but it’ll pass and they can take control.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Tempo on 10:54 - Aug 18 with 621 viewsKeno

Tempo on 10:39 - Aug 18 by portmanking

I don't expect us to dominate for 90 minutes whatsoever. I just expect us to be fitter, stronger and faster. After all, we have invested in some good second-tier players and a second-tier fitness regime. We shouldn't be the ones blowing out of our backsides with 20 minutes remaining.

To be fair thats where a couple of subs with 25-30 mins to go would have make a huge difference.

Barry or Dobra and Carroll at that stage would have freshened things up, maybe even KVY

or maybe even change the formation take Janoi off and play back 3 with an extra man in midfield.

Something needed to happen then but it didn't and cost us the game

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Login to get fewer ads

Tempo on 10:56 - Aug 18 with 604 viewsportmanking

Tempo on 10:54 - Aug 18 by Keno

To be fair thats where a couple of subs with 25-30 mins to go would have make a huge difference.

Barry or Dobra and Carroll at that stage would have freshened things up, maybe even KVY

or maybe even change the formation take Janoi off and play back 3 with an extra man in midfield.

Something needed to happen then but it didn't and cost us the game

It's disconcerting that Evans and Harper - our two supposed midfield lynchpins - don't look capable of affecting games beyond 70 minutes right now.
Tempo on 11:00 - Aug 18 with 589 viewsKeno

Tempo on 10:56 - Aug 18 by portmanking

It's disconcerting that Evans and Harper - our two supposed midfield lynchpins - don't look capable of affecting games beyond 70 minutes right now.

yes and watching it seemed obvious we were starting to lose the midfield so something needed to be done to freshen that up

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Tempo on 11:01 - Aug 18 with 579 viewsWilbrahamBlue

Tempo on 10:56 - Aug 18 by portmanking

70 minutes an improvement on 7 minutes from CMs under Lambert no?
Tempo on 11:09 - Aug 18 with 549 viewsSkip_Intro

Let's not forget the importance of FBs in PC's tactics who will help drive the tempo - no KVY last night and I'm sure that Coulson is more effective than Penney at getting forward.
We also only played one winger who runs at people - with Burns/Barry on the right we will be much better placed to run at teams and attack them more.
I also think that PC needs to play Fraser at no 10 to give us that creative spearhead and use his passing more effectively rather than playing him out on the right.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024