Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our fan base 12:11 - Aug 18 with 7925 viewsBelsteadCav

I honestly think it’s now one of the worst in the country

I couldn’t believe some of the comments on Twitter last night, worse than hurst, cook out, it’s time to go!

It’s just embarrassing. Saturday will be a horrible atmosphere, I just know it.

We used to have one of the best fan bases around, but we are a shadow of our former selves. If we go behind on Saturday, God help us

King of the board since 98
Poll: Updated Poll . What would you rather win as a Sportsman

Our fan base on 12:17 - Aug 18 with 3820 viewsRedX

It has creeped in over the years due to neglect of the club/team from Evans. It really is a pity as we have something good going here, and it's about to take off. Putting pressure on a man after 3 league games is absolutely shocking.

Some of it also comes from the Sky Sports era attitude. Change, change, change, if things aren't going your way quick enough.

Some of the greatest managers in the game had very slow starts at their clubs. Some of them would never have been known if they were managing in the modern game.
Our fan base on 12:20 - Aug 18 with 3789 viewsSouperJim

Best to try and ignore social media, the quality of the comments on twitbook is embarrassing. At least you get some reasoned debate on here.

I do also worry what might happen at Portman Road if things don't go our way. It's kind of ludicrous that fan impatience could kill us before we've even got going. Hopefully Edwards and Harper can put in another display like the first half last night and get the crowd on side.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Our fan base on 12:21 - Aug 18 with 3786 viewsCuffy81

Bang on.. its toxic from an ever increasing part of our support. No one is happy with the results or the performances but it is going to take time.

The self entitlement of demanding instant results is draining.

The weight of expectation looks heavy on us - we look nervous and as a result our players are making mistakes - Bonne's miss is a once in a lifetime scenario.

As supporters we play a part - get right behind the team from the off on Saturday and help them get through a difficult time instead of moaning and looking for comparisons against times gone past.
Our fan base on 12:21 - Aug 18 with 3781 viewsBcarefulwhatUWish4

I haven't seen Twitter comments but there is tonnes of negativity and criticism in the home section.
jeez, what do you expect if you go on Twitter... on 12:24 - Aug 18 with 3730 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

...thats like jumping in the sea and then complaining that your clothes got wet!!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Our fan base on 12:26 - Aug 18 with 3712 viewstimothyeo

Our fanbase is no different to most others, in fact i'd say its more placid and patient than the majority. On twitter you can find Man City fans wanting Pep sacked, for example.
Our fan base on 12:26 - Aug 18 with 3713 viewsSarge

How much time do you spend on other team’s forums though? Yes the blubbing and overreacting to everything is cringeworthy but it’s hardly isolated to Ipswich fans and likely happens up and down the country.

Twitter is a pretty low-IQ place anyway, football Twitter even more so.
Our fan base on 12:28 - Aug 18 with 3688 views_sanctimoanious_

you're absolutely bang-on. Also a problem that some of these fans have been given a voice and authentication on podcasts etc.
Login to get fewer ads

Our fan base on 12:30 - Aug 18 with 3656 viewsIllinoisblue

Spoiler alert: all football fans are broadly the same.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Our fan base on 12:31 - Aug 18 with 3641 viewsbluelagos

Has our fan base changed? Or has social media given everyone a voice.

Many on there will maybe watch a game or two a season, yet their voice carries as much weight as someone who goes far more regularly. Previously the armchair fan went unheard, now they make as much noise as regular fans...

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Our fan base on 12:32 - Aug 18 with 3630 viewsberkstractorboy

Some of it is in the heat of the moment after games. I have cooled off and far more appreciative its early days and we have to give the new project a chance (but can't miss open goals!!)

Out of interest, what do you think of our coaching staff? Genuine question. I believe the players are easily good enough but what experience do they have to be able to adapt in games when we can't break a team down or need to setup to defend a lead? I don't see this and personally think Cook got the best when LR was alongside him, they worked it out well together but I don't think PC has that right now however much he trusts his mates! Its that bit that genuinely concerns me most is good players still need good coaching and the team to be setup in a way to suit them, thats how 'lesser' teams got the best out of Pigott, Fraser etc.
Our fan base on 12:32 - Aug 18 with 3621 viewsBlueySwede

I think it´s simply the times we are living in, have a look at other teams forums when it´s not going great, it´s about the same for us. Social media plays a big part. A few negative people drags others with them.
Our fan base on 12:35 - Aug 18 with 3603 viewsitfcsuth

It is unfortunately, but think it is aligned with most other fan bases.

Modern day football fans. They have to have instant success.

It has been a really poor start, but I still believe that time needs to be given to mould this side, not 3 games.

3 games is not time.
Our fan base on 12:39 - Aug 18 with 3568 viewschicoazul

Our fan base on 12:17 - Aug 18 by RedX

It has creeped in over the years due to neglect of the club/team from Evans. It really is a pity as we have something good going here, and it's about to take off. Putting pressure on a man after 3 league games is absolutely shocking.

Some of it also comes from the Sky Sports era attitude. Change, change, change, if things aren't going your way quick enough.

Some of the greatest managers in the game had very slow starts at their clubs. Some of them would never have been known if they were managing in the modern game.

20-odd games

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Our fan base on 12:42 - Aug 18 with 3560 viewsTractorWood

Mars bars have got smaller and policeman are younger too.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Our fan base on 12:44 - Aug 18 with 3531 viewsDeano69

Over-privileged and under-educated, that's what we are up against.

Sad state of affairs

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Our fan base on 12:45 - Aug 18 with 3513 viewsHerbivore

More hyperbolic nonsense.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Our fan base on 12:48 - Aug 18 with 3495 viewsTractorWood

Our fan base on 12:45 - Aug 18 by Herbivore

More hyperbolic nonsense.

When the club is struggling, some of our fans blame the club and players and the remainder blame other fans.

Shall ever be thus.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2021 12:51]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Our fan base on 12:49 - Aug 18 with 3469 viewsitfcjoe

Our fan base on 12:17 - Aug 18 by RedX

Can we have some examples of managers having slow starts and turning it round? Because often that isn't the case - 99% of the time they've achieved someting quite quickly to get some credit in the bank before maybe having a rockier patch - is certainly the case re Robson here who came in and made an instant impact in retaining out 1st Division status

Ferguson another one who gets cited, he came in when united were 2nd bottom in November, took them to 11th and then finished 2nd the year after.

This isn't to say Cook is going to fail, I think he'll have success - but when a manager has no impact and fails to meet expectations consistently it isn't just a slow start

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Our fan base on 12:52 - Aug 18 with 3435 viewsNazemariner

PR won't turn for a long while yet.

You have to remember that Twitter is predominantly a sounding board for frustrated people seeking attention. People act very differently when they're not sat behind a keyboard.

COYB!
Our fan base on 12:59 - Aug 18 with 3337 viewsChrisd

Our fan base on 12:49 - Aug 18 by itfcjoe

Can we have some examples of managers having slow starts and turning it round? Because often that isn't the case - 99% of the time they've achieved someting quite quickly to get some credit in the bank before maybe having a rockier patch - is certainly the case re Robson here who came in and made an instant impact in retaining out 1st Division status

Ferguson another one who gets cited, he came in when united were 2nd bottom in November, took them to 11th and then finished 2nd the year after.

This isn't to say Cook is going to fail, I think he'll have success - but when a manager has no impact and fails to meet expectations consistently it isn't just a slow start

https://sqaf.club/football-managers-who-almost-got-sacked-success/

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Our fan base on 12:59 - Aug 18 with 3331 views_sanctimoanious_

subtle caveat there. You can't ignore the exceptional circumstances here. He's had almost two tenures already - last season where it didn't work out at all and now this where he is essentially at a new club with a whole new team. Three league games in, it hasn't gone at all to plan but there are at least a lot of positives to take. I like Paul Cook as a man and think this team will get it together. We were warned by the manager AND the owners not to expect immediate success but many have just chosen to ignore this. We WON'T get relegated so lets just see how the team progresses over the coming months and enjoy the ride.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2021 13:17]
Our fan base on 13:09 - Aug 18 with 3249 viewsitfcjoe

Our fan base on 12:59 - Aug 18 by Chrisd

Literally all those examples started well, achieved something, then went down hill before recovering

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Our fan base on 13:12 - Aug 18 with 3191 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Our fan base on 12:59 - Aug 18 by Chrisd

Every single example in that list started well

Fergie - outlined by itfcjoe above
Kendall - ‘oversaw decent finishes of 8th and 7th in his first 2 years’
Pearson - won 3 of his first 4 games and got MOTM, and went on to win the league. The article is highlighting them struggling in the PL having been promoted
Sarri - first 3 words are literally ‘A wonderful start’
Johnson - won 5, drew 6 and lost 3 in the first year having taken over at Barnsley when they were 16th. At Bristol City, he took over a relegation threatened team and led them to several wins to finish comfortably safe according to Wiki

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Our fan base on 13:25 - Aug 18 with 3163 viewsVic

What are you really saying Joe?

In one breath you say you think Cook will be a success, but the the main thrust of the post is suggesting he won’t be!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024