Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I've had a Brexit result! 15:51 - Aug 18 with 4757 viewsLord_Lucan

Just got clearance and VAT bill in for a container that's just docked.

Now we have left the EU there is no duty with China (our goods are normally 6.5%)

This will save us around £20k a year

I had no idea this has happened.

Also, we normally have to pay VAT on entry which is an average of £20k a container. I know we get it back but it really screws the cash flow, especially if we have all four containers in one quarter.

Now though they have introduced a PVA (Postponed Vat Accounting) where you simply defer the VAT until your VAT return when you claim it back at the same time thus it's zero.

The PVA thing is an absolutely massive boost for importers.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

I've had a Brexit result! on 15:58 - Aug 18 with 2662 viewsCoastalblue

Sounds a result, nice to hear a positive story for a change.

Looks like it must be your round?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

I've had a Brexit result! on 16:08 - Aug 18 with 2608 viewsLord_Lucan

I've had a Brexit result! on 15:58 - Aug 18 by Coastalblue

Sounds a result, nice to hear a positive story for a change.

Looks like it must be your round?

Must admit it makes a change for something to go right - even better that I was unaware of neither of these things yesterday.

Mind you, we are a man down and if I can't find someone by tonight I'm gonna have to drive down to Dorset and help unload the fecker.

Where's Bulbeck when you need him?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

I've had a Brexit result! on 16:20 - Aug 18 with 2557 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Is this something we were unable to implement while within the EU?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

I've had a Brexit result! on 16:22 - Aug 18 with 2550 viewsLord_Lucan

I've had a Brexit result! on 16:20 - Aug 18 by Nthsuffolkblue

Is this something we were unable to implement while within the EU?

Duty - yes

PVA - I wouldn't have thought so.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2021 16:23]

I've had a Brexit result! on 16:25 - Aug 18 with 2541 viewskeighleyblue

me too - I've lost my freedom of movement across Europe, and there's no fresh food in Aldi
I've had a Brexit result! on 16:28 - Aug 18 with 2525 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I've had a Brexit result! on 16:22 - Aug 18 by Lord_Lucan

Duty - yes

PVA - I wouldn't have thought so.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2021 16:23]

Why wouldn't you have thought so?

There were a lot of things we could have done while in the EU that the Government didn't do and yet membership of the EU has been given as the reason. I don't know either was on this one but, since you appear not to either, I would hesitate to applaud it as a "Brexit result".

I've had a Brexit result! on 16:32 - Aug 18 with 2508 viewsCoastalblue

I've had a Brexit result! on 16:08 - Aug 18 by Lord_Lucan

Must admit it makes a change for something to go right - even better that I was unaware of neither of these things yesterday.

Mind you, we are a man down and if I can't find someone by tonight I'm gonna have to drive down to Dorset and help unload the fecker.

Where's Bulbeck when you need him?

If it had been yesterday I'd have offered to do that drive, need whatever I can get currently, back on shift tomorrow though.

always a nice feeling when something like this happens though, I got a cheque through the post from HMRC last month that I didn't know was coming, that was very handy.

A bit like when you're in your teens and put on a pair of jeans you've not worn in ages ready to go out drinking and find a tenner in the pocket, only better.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

I've had a Brexit result! on 16:36 - Aug 18 with 2487 viewschicoazul

But….but….. TWTD said

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Login to get fewer ads

I've had a Brexit result! on 16:38 - Aug 18 with 2475 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I've had a Brexit result! on 16:28 - Aug 18 by Nthsuffolkblue

There were a lot of things we could have done while in the EU that the Government didn't do and yet membership of the EU has been given as the reason. I don't know either was on this one but, since you appear not to either, I would hesitate to applaud it as a "Brexit result".

Might be wrong but think he was answering the other way around?

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

I've had a Brexit result! on 16:41 - Aug 18 with 2448 viewsLord_Lucan

I've had a Brexit result! on 16:28 - Aug 18 by Nthsuffolkblue

Not sure on earth what you are talking about to be honest

I said that I doubt that we couldn't have issued the PVA scheme as it's nothing to do with the EU.

Duty would definitely have stayed the same, we couldn't have changed that.

Not sure why you are getting hot under your collar, I am a solid remainer - I just thought I would post my cheery news.

I've had a Brexit result! on 16:44 - Aug 18 with 2424 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I've had a Brexit result! on 16:41 - Aug 18 by Lord_Lucan

Not sure on earth what you are talking about to be honest

I said that I doubt that we couldn't have issued the PVA scheme as it's nothing to do with the EU.

Duty would definitely have stayed the same, we couldn't have changed that.

Not sure why you are getting hot under your collar, I am a solid remainer - I just thought I would post my cheery news.

Apols for misunderstanding. It is the use of the term "Brexit result" that confused me.

A bit worn out from arguing most of the day with a Covid conspiracy theorist.

EDIT: I also missed the duty bit and thought that was the same argument.

Great for you that the duty has been removed. I guess it will be part of some new agreement. It will make Chinese imports even cheaper and reduce treasury income, though.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2021 16:47]

I've had a Brexit result! on 16:47 - Aug 18 with 2408 viewsLord_Lucan

I've had a Brexit result! on 16:32 - Aug 18 by Coastalblue

If it had been yesterday I'd have offered to do that drive, need whatever I can get currently, back on shift tomorrow though.

always a nice feeling when something like this happens though, I got a cheque through the post from HMRC last month that I didn't know was coming, that was very handy.

A bit like when you're in your teens and put on a pair of jeans you've not worn in ages ready to go out drinking and find a tenner in the pocket, only better.

Actually I've had a number of positive tickles over the past 18 months. We've been given £1000's. I kept looking at our account and more free money kept coming in. We were paid some chunky money because our retail store was forced to close during lockdown - even though we could offer click and collect, also 90% of our turnover is wholesale and was unaffected.

Unfortunately the tap is now off

The £10 in the jeans pocket was a thing of wonder though wasn't it.

I've had a Brexit result! on 17:03 - Aug 18 with 2324 viewsJakeITFC

I've had a Brexit result! on 16:47 - Aug 18 by Lord_Lucan

Actually I've had a number of positive tickles over the past 18 months. We've been given £1000's. I kept looking at our account and more free money kept coming in. We were paid some chunky money because our retail store was forced to close during lockdown - even though we could offer click and collect, also 90% of our turnover is wholesale and was unaffected.

Unfortunately the tap is now off

The £10 in the jeans pocket was a thing of wonder though wasn't it.

About time you started paying your freelance IT staff then!
I've had a Brexit result! on 17:06 - Aug 18 with 2292 viewsLord_Lucan

I've had a Brexit result! on 16:44 - Aug 18 by Nthsuffolkblue

Apols for misunderstanding. It is the use of the term "Brexit result" that confused me.

A bit worn out from arguing most of the day with a Covid conspiracy theorist.

EDIT: I also missed the duty bit and thought that was the same argument.

Great for you that the duty has been removed. I guess it will be part of some new agreement. It will make Chinese imports even cheaper and reduce treasury income, though.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2021 16:47]

Well actually it won't make anything cheaper in the short to medium term because we are in the middle of a global shipping crisis.

Normal goods freight per container $2,500 - current price $18,000

Our goods (hazardous) normally $9,000 - current price $31,500

You think that there are empty shelves because of Covid and Brexit? That maybe the case for some things but a lot of it is that; A/ it's impossible to import low value goods, no one will pay £20 for a small plant pot, and B;/ It's impossible to get space on the vessels, we (and everyone else in our trade) are only getting 25% of what we ordered. There is no vessel space and there is a massive shortage of empty containers to ship in as there a millions stuck in ports around the world full of PPE - which will soon be out of date.

I've had a Brexit result! on 17:12 - Aug 18 with 2259 viewshandslikeplates

That’s good news, anything that makes our lives easier at the moment is a plus, if it saves us time and money that’s an added bonus. Nice to hear something positive.
I've had a Brexit result! on 17:20 - Aug 18 with 2225 viewsLord_Lucan

I've had a Brexit result! on 17:03 - Aug 18 by JakeITFC

About time you started paying your freelance IT staff then!

I bought you some fried chicken!

I looked at the new Hyundai ioniq 5 on Monday

I've had a Brexit result! on 17:39 - Aug 18 with 2149 viewsJ2BLUE

You're welcome

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I've had a Brexit result! on 17:57 - Aug 18 with 2107 viewsEireannach_gorm

I've had a Brexit result! on 17:06 - Aug 18 by Lord_Lucan

Well actually it won't make anything cheaper in the short to medium term because we are in the middle of a global shipping crisis.

Normal goods freight per container $2,500 - current price $18,000

Our goods (hazardous) normally $9,000 - current price $31,500

You think that there are empty shelves because of Covid and Brexit? That maybe the case for some things but a lot of it is that; A/ it's impossible to import low value goods, no one will pay £20 for a small plant pot, and B;/ It's impossible to get space on the vessels, we (and everyone else in our trade) are only getting 25% of what we ordered. There is no vessel space and there is a massive shortage of empty containers to ship in as there a millions stuck in ports around the world full of PPE - which will soon be out of date.

Although the UK seems to be suffering more than most.

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/brexit-increased-congestion-at-uk-por
I've had a Brexit result! on 18:53 - Aug 18 with 2012 viewsLord_Lucan

I've had a Brexit result! on 17:57 - Aug 18 by Eireannach_gorm

Although the UK seems to be suffering more than most.

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/brexit-increased-congestion-at-uk-por

That report is misleading.

Felixstowe port is 100% in meltdown due to the introduction last year of their new terminal operating system software.

They have never recovered.

London, Immingham and Southampton aren't having any problems - except for huge demand. We shipped through Immingham already this month.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2021 18:55]

I've had a Brexit result! on 19:01 - Aug 18 with 1985 viewsgarygboltonblue

I've had a Brexit result! on 18:53 - Aug 18 by Lord_Lucan

Felixstowe port is 100% in meltdown due to the introduction last year of their new terminal operating system software.

London, Immingham and Southampton aren't having any problems - except for huge demand. We shipped through Immingham already this month.

Well done mate , I am very pleased for you
I've had a Brexit result! on 19:05 - Aug 18 with 1967 viewsLord_Lucan

I've had a Brexit result! on 19:01 - Aug 18 by garygboltonblue

Well done mate , I am very pleased for you

Are you taking the piss Gary?

I've had a Brexit result! on 19:09 - Aug 18 with 1951 viewsgarygboltonblue

I've had a Brexit result! on 19:05 - Aug 18 by Lord_Lucan

Are you taking the piss Gary?

Not at all , I don’t know you but I think we have had similar experiences supporting the Town for probably 40/50 years and I have always enjoyed your posts.
I've had a Brexit result! on 19:19 - Aug 18 with 1921 viewsLord_Lucan

I've had a Brexit result! on 19:09 - Aug 18 by garygboltonblue

Not at all , I don’t know you but I think we have had similar experiences supporting the Town for probably 40/50 years and I have always enjoyed your posts.

Oh, sorry I misunderstood. I did similar last week and came across quite rude.

I must still be a bit premenstrual

I've had a Brexit result! on 19:41 - Aug 18 with 1857 viewsChiefXL

I've had a Brexit result! on 18:53 - Aug 18 by Lord_Lucan

Oh Lucan...
I've had a Brexit result! on 19:53 - Aug 18 with 1812 viewsgarygboltonblue

I've had a Brexit result! on 19:19 - Aug 18 by Lord_Lucan

Oh, sorry I misunderstood. I did similar last week and came across quite rude.

I must still be a bit premenstrual

No probs , it would it good to have a pint with you sometime
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024