Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One more signing for me 22:33 - Aug 18 with 2018 viewsIpswich24

And that is of an experienced assistant manager. The squad we have assembled for this level on paper looks great. But the coaching team is nowhere near as strong.
Would of loved to have seen John McGreal come in or someone like that to assist Cook and the team..once it became apparent he couldn't get his pal from Wigan he needed to look elsewhere.

Poll: Who would you like to be manager out of these?

One more signing for me on 22:40 - Aug 18 with 1979 views3_5_2

Agree.

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

One more signing for me on 23:28 - Aug 18 with 1901 viewsStrimmer

I’m inclined to think this too, but on the other hand given their long standing relationship Richardson will be hard to replace with an off the peg AM.

Actually with his experience Richardson hard to replace full stop. Assuming Jeffers is de facto assistant, that’s a big drop off in experience backing up Cook.

Hey, maybe Jeffers and Cook need time to gel, eh!

Poll: Was it a punch?

One more signing for me on 23:43 - Aug 18 with 1875 viewsCokeIsKey

I’d love to see Mcgreal come in, but I’m not sure Cook’s pride would allow him to get any extra help. Blackpool did something similar, where they got in Calderwood to partner Critchley, and their defence improved massively which was one of the reasons for their upswing in form.

[Post edited 19 Aug 2021 1:19]

Poll: Should Lambert continue as the Ipswich Town manager?

One more signing for me on 08:38 - Aug 19 with 1557 viewsBeckets

One more signing for me on 23:43 - Aug 18 by CokeIsKey

I’d love to see Mcgreal come in, but I’m not sure Cook’s pride would allow him to get any extra help. Blackpool did something similar, where they got in Calderwood to partner Critchley, and their defence improved massively which was one of the reasons for their upswing in form.

Colin is an excellent defensive coach. Now back at Northampton as Assistant to Jon Brady. A loss to Blackpool. I wonder if we could bring in McGreal on a temporary basis to do some bespoke coaching with the back 4?
One more signing for me on 08:51 - Aug 19 with 1506 viewsDarth_Koont

Maybe, maybe not.

Cook and his staff are also finding their feet as we get into the season proper. But I’d say it’s pretty hard to guess what’s missing so far from the outside.

Ultimately, there’s no-one more qualified to judge the back room staff than Cook. Or personally responsible, as it’s his job on the line.

Pronouns: He/Him

One more signing for me on 08:53 - Aug 19 with 1489 viewshype313

One more signing for me on 08:38 - Aug 19 by Beckets

Colin is an excellent defensive coach. Now back at Northampton as Assistant to Jon Brady. A loss to Blackpool. I wonder if we could bring in McGreal on a temporary basis to do some bespoke coaching with the back 4?

I believe McGreal was offered something but wanted to be a Manager himself.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

One more signing for me on 09:51 - Aug 19 with 1413 viewsRadlett_blue

One more signing for me on 08:51 - Aug 19 by Darth_Koont

Maybe, maybe not.

Cook and his staff are also finding their feet as we get into the season proper. But I’d say it’s pretty hard to guess what’s missing so far from the outside.

Ultimately, there’s no-one more qualified to judge the back room staff than Cook. Or personally responsible, as it’s his job on the line.

Indeed, the modern trend is to allow the manager to appoint the assistants, coaches etc whom he wants. There is some sense in that & foisting a manager with an assistant whom he doesn't want can undermine him. Unfortunately, we don't know how important Richardson was to Cook's past success. He's cleared out the squad & the staff & this currently feels eerily reminiscent of Keane's reign, but obviously it's early days.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

One more signing for me on 09:55 - Aug 19 with 1392 viewsPhilTWTD

One more signing for me on 08:53 - Aug 19 by hype313

I believe McGreal was offered something but wanted to be a Manager himself.

I don't think he was ever offered anything because he wanted/wants to be a manager himself and Cook was aware of that. I was certainly told that was the case before the end of last season.
Login to get fewer ads

One more signing for me on 09:55 - Aug 19 with 1390 viewsVic

One more signing for me on 23:43 - Aug 18 by CokeIsKey

Agreed about Cooks pride! But if we plateau below the necessary level of performance and results I’m sure the management above PC will start to ask questions of him.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

One more signing for me on 10:10 - Aug 19 with 1333 viewsWallingford_Boy

Yep, agree.

The squad is indeed good on paper, good names, very technical.

But too technical for League One? Might do better in the Championship, oddly.

But I am sure we'll get out of this bloody league somehow this season!

RIP Sir Bobby

One more signing for me on 10:18 - Aug 19 with 1314 viewshype313

One more signing for me on 09:55 - Aug 19 by PhilTWTD

I don't think he was ever offered anything because he wanted/wants to be a manager himself and Cook was aware of that. I was certainly told that was the case before the end of last season.

Ahh forgive me, I thought I'd read there were talks before he left for Swindon, clearly not.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

One more signing for me on 10:23 - Aug 19 with 1290 viewsPhilTWTD

One more signing for me on 10:18 - Aug 19 by hype313

Ahh forgive me, I thought I'd read there were talks before he left for Swindon, clearly not.

He and Cook are good mates from playing at Tranmere so he was spotted at the training ground on a few occasions, but I don't think it was ever something which was on the cards. Kieron and Noel Hunt were both in the running for roles - with the assistant's position a possibility for either of them - but PC eventually opted to go with who he went with. I think it took him a while to come to the decisions he did.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024