Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid 06:33 - Aug 19 with 3006 viewsurbanblue

... the state and federal leaders are going mad.

Where I live in NSW we are now going into the third week of a hard state lockdown. Where I live has had no cases for months and the nearest cases are a good few hundred kms away. The border with Queensland is an hours drive from here and the military has been called in to man the border. Anyone, who wishes to travel has to be an essential worker, apply for a permit, and be vaccinated with at least one jab.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-19/covid-19-qld-nsw-border-troops-essential-

To travel to Western Australia, within our own country, we now need to apply for a permit and ...

1. Negative test

2. Be vaccinated

3. Complete 14 days Quarantine paid for in a Hotel.

4. Have a tracking App so the Government can moniter your whereabouts thereafter.

https://thewest.com.au/news/coronavirus/mark-mcgowan-press-conference-nsw-arriva

Not to be undone Daniel Andrews has locked down Victoria for 40 odd cases, imposed a curfew and in a stunning example of madness ruled that anyone drinking outside is not
permitted to take off their mask to do so

I know many would say that if I don't like what's going on I can always leave, but actually I can't because no one is allowed to leave the country without special permission and hasn't been allowed to since this all started. That's I think a rule relevant to Australia and North Korea.

Some of you may think this is all reasonable and I know many of you were envious of Australia's handling of the Pandemic. Me I'm now dreading where we are going from here ... Zero Covid has been the mantra for a good while and they seem to think the Vaccine will do that which of course it won't. I fear how much our lives will be changed in a big way forever in pursuit of something that is impossible

Sorry, just needed to share ....
[Post edited 19 Aug 2021 6:39]
Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 07:26 - Aug 19 with 2297 viewsElderGrizzly

It does appear draconian, but there is a position where Australia and New Zealand have so few people vaccinated the Delta strain will do to them, what the early 2021 wave did to the rest of the world.

Both are unvaccinated sitting ducks.
Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 07:31 - Aug 19 with 2274 viewsEly_Blue

Fwiw I think Australia’s handling of the pandemic is equally as bad as if not worse than the UK.

Sure we’ve screwed things up by delaying lockdowns and opening up too soon and also things like eat out to help out etc, BUT……… at least there was an exit strategy to the last lockdown which was planned around vaccinations. With 70%+ of the adult population fully vaccinated that seems to have been executed pretty well and most life is pretty much back to normal here.

Australia for me have screwed up the opportunity to have a similar exit plan by locking people away but not vaccinating anywhere near enough people (only 22% fully vaccinated iirc https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations ) whilst they have the chance to, and then thinking that things will be ok once you are allowed out again, it smacks of having no exit plan no matter how well or badly they execute it.

Just my 2 pennies worth anyway

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

[Redacted] on 07:57 - Aug 19 with 2188 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 08:09 - Aug 19 with 2135 viewschicoazul

Zero Covid is total madness.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 08:10 - Aug 19 with 2122 viewsFtnfwest

There's all that plus I'm not sure what the 'exit strategy' will be in regard to eventually fully opening borders etc. We've constantly been lectured about how solving our own situation with the high enough level of vaccine intake still leaves the rest of the world needing at some stage to catch up with that, which a few have. In Australia and NZ's situation i just can't see how a 'zero covid' approach will ever work alongside a return to even near normal international travel.
Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 08:12 - Aug 19 with 2117 viewsbluelagos

Interesting, my kid bro is in Perth and I sense the frustrations growing at not being able to travel internally, never mind a trip overseas. He also told me about low vaccination take up, initially due to poor availability of the vaccine, but now very much low take up by Aussies.

Seems there is a lot of complacency from people thinking they have next to nil covid in Aus so why bother getting jabbed.

Also saw some pics of anti lockdown protesters turning voilent (Sydney or Melbourne).

Brother has almost given up on getting to the Sydney and MCG ashes tests this winter.

People's liberty curtailed to save lives of the vulnerable. Same issues/dilemmas as every other country in the world.

But I do wonder how Aus can ever open up if they think a zero covid policy is the way in the future?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 08:30 - Aug 19 with 2064 viewsElderGrizzly

Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 08:10 - Aug 19 by Ftnfwest

There's all that plus I'm not sure what the 'exit strategy' will be in regard to eventually fully opening borders etc. We've constantly been lectured about how solving our own situation with the high enough level of vaccine intake still leaves the rest of the world needing at some stage to catch up with that, which a few have. In Australia and NZ's situation i just can't see how a 'zero covid' approach will ever work alongside a return to even near normal international travel.

New Zealand have said they will open up (to the vaccinated tourists) when they have everyone vaccinated, which should be by December.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/new-zealand-covid-19-restrictions-intl-hn

Zero Covid only 'works' as a temporary measure if you use that same period to get the majority of the population vaccinated. Both have 'failed' on that element so far with vaccine take up in the low 20%s.
[Post edited 19 Aug 2021 8:32]
Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 08:30 - Aug 19 with 2063 viewsmichaeldownunder

Here in North Brisbane, masks are the norm and to me I don't find it that much of a problem to wear one when out shopping/ work etc.

I feel that if you have had both the jabs you should be allowed to travel inside Australia, this might make more people have the jabs.

Ok we don't like the lock down rules, soft and hard, but it is what it is
Login to get fewer ads

[Redacted] on 08:38 - Aug 19 with 2013 viewsvictorywilhappen

Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 08:30 - Aug 19 by michaeldownunder

Here in North Brisbane, masks are the norm and to me I don't find it that much of a problem to wear one when out shopping/ work etc.

I feel that if you have had both the jabs you should be allowed to travel inside Australia, this might make more people have the jabs.

Ok we don't like the lock down rules, soft and hard, but it is what it is

[Redacted]
Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 08:39 - Aug 19 with 2004 viewsFtnfwest

Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 08:30 - Aug 19 by ElderGrizzly

New Zealand have said they will open up (to the vaccinated tourists) when they have everyone vaccinated, which should be by December.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/new-zealand-covid-19-restrictions-intl-hn

Zero Covid only 'works' as a temporary measure if you use that same period to get the majority of the population vaccinated. Both have 'failed' on that element so far with vaccine take up in the low 20%s.

See that logic as even when everyone is vaccinated (as we know) that isn't 'everyone'.
[Redacted] on 08:43 - Aug 19 with 1967 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 08:43 - Aug 19 with 1963 viewsTractorWood

I saw Arden say that but that is a seismic shift in mindset for a country with a tiny, young and sparsely populated demographic with totally closed borders who have just locked down for one case.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 08:45 - Aug 19 with 1951 viewsElderGrizzly

Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 08:39 - Aug 19 by Ftnfwest

See that logic as even when everyone is vaccinated (as we know) that isn't 'everyone'.

Like most Governments, they will say this is everyone has been 'offered' the vaccine.

Even NZ will not hold on to wait for Mr Kiwi the anti-vaxxer to get his. They will make a calculated sacrifice

Especially as the biggest study so far shows vaccinated and unvaccinated carry very similar viral loads

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/19/jabbed-adults-infected-with-delta-
[Post edited 19 Aug 2021 8:50]
Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 08:48 - Aug 19 with 1937 viewsElderGrizzly

Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 08:43 - Aug 19 by TractorWood

I saw Arden say that but that is a seismic shift in mindset for a country with a tiny, young and sparsely populated demographic with totally closed borders who have just locked down for one case.

And they've locked down for one case (it's now 15) because only 20% of the adult population is vaccinated.

Back to my earlier point, Delta to the unvaccinated is a significant problem and they aren't going to chance it.

Keep it out as much as possible, vaccinate as many as possible, open up. In the UK we failed to do the earlier part which is why we have 150,000 dead.
Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 08:57 - Aug 19 with 1886 viewsTractorWood

Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 08:48 - Aug 19 by ElderGrizzly

And they've locked down for one case (it's now 15) because only 20% of the adult population is vaccinated.

Back to my earlier point, Delta to the unvaccinated is a significant problem and they aren't going to chance it.

Keep it out as much as possible, vaccinate as many as possible, open up. In the UK we failed to do the earlier part which is why we have 150,000 dead.

I wonder if NZ will actually be able to ease it until ~95% vax. As you say, Delta is so moody that it could undermine their entire good fight. They will get cases and deaths too when vaxxed, it doesn't factually eradicate covid. Interesting how it pans out there.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 08:59 - Aug 19 with 1874 viewsElderGrizzly

Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 08:57 - Aug 19 by TractorWood

I wonder if NZ will actually be able to ease it until ~95% vax. As you say, Delta is so moody that it could undermine their entire good fight. They will get cases and deaths too when vaxxed, it doesn't factually eradicate covid. Interesting how it pans out there.

From what i've seen of her speeches recently, she accepts people will die when they open up, but she will have done her job to give everyone the best chance possible.
Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 11:57 - Aug 19 with 1644 viewsGuthrum

Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 08:09 - Aug 19 by chicoazul

Zero Covid is total madness.

Indeed, that boat has long since sailed.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 12:02 - Aug 19 with 1612 viewsIPS_wich

Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 07:31 - Aug 19 by Ely_Blue

Fwiw I think Australia’s handling of the pandemic is equally as bad as if not worse than the UK.

Sure we’ve screwed things up by delaying lockdowns and opening up too soon and also things like eat out to help out etc, BUT……… at least there was an exit strategy to the last lockdown which was planned around vaccinations. With 70%+ of the adult population fully vaccinated that seems to have been executed pretty well and most life is pretty much back to normal here.

Australia for me have screwed up the opportunity to have a similar exit plan by locking people away but not vaccinating anywhere near enough people (only 22% fully vaccinated iirc https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations ) whilst they have the chance to, and then thinking that things will be ok once you are allowed out again, it smacks of having no exit plan no matter how well or badly they execute it.

Just my 2 pennies worth anyway

Yes and no

In years to come the Australia and NZ model of lockdown will be shown to the most effective way of minimising deaths. It has been a resounding success right up to the point one state premier (NSW) decided that trying to lock down suburbs rather than the whole city was a plausible response. The actions of the NsW politicians were as brain dead as the Tories handling of the pandemic in the UK.

The flip side is that the federal governments handling of the vaccine roll out will be the case study for failure - as opposed to the Tories who have handled the vaccination part of things really well.

If you could combine Australia’s handling of the pandemic with the UKs handling of the vaccine you’d have the model response.

For what it’s worth, over here in Western Australia where there has been virtually no cases and four short sharp lock downs (3-5 days) when there’s a single case in the community - we’ve lived 95% of the last 18 months completely normally apart from no overseas travel. Frustrating to some extent, but it’s allowed most of us to realise we live in one of the most incredible and diverse places in the world - so it’s not as though we haven’t had holidays. The current state government were recently elected in a landslide so I think most are pretty happy over this side of the continent.
Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 12:16 - Aug 19 with 1586 viewsGuthrum

Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 12:02 - Aug 19 by IPS_wich

Yes and no

In years to come the Australia and NZ model of lockdown will be shown to the most effective way of minimising deaths. It has been a resounding success right up to the point one state premier (NSW) decided that trying to lock down suburbs rather than the whole city was a plausible response. The actions of the NsW politicians were as brain dead as the Tories handling of the pandemic in the UK.

The flip side is that the federal governments handling of the vaccine roll out will be the case study for failure - as opposed to the Tories who have handled the vaccination part of things really well.

If you could combine Australia’s handling of the pandemic with the UKs handling of the vaccine you’d have the model response.

For what it’s worth, over here in Western Australia where there has been virtually no cases and four short sharp lock downs (3-5 days) when there’s a single case in the community - we’ve lived 95% of the last 18 months completely normally apart from no overseas travel. Frustrating to some extent, but it’s allowed most of us to realise we live in one of the most incredible and diverse places in the world - so it’s not as though we haven’t had holidays. The current state government were recently elected in a landslide so I think most are pretty happy over this side of the continent.

Worth pointing out that Aus and NZ were more fortunate than some places in the strain of Covid which first arrived there and how early it was detected.

But the reaction was a lot quicker, yes.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 12:23 - Aug 19 with 1565 viewsIPS_wich

Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 12:16 - Aug 19 by Guthrum

Worth pointing out that Aus and NZ were more fortunate than some places in the strain of Covid which first arrived there and how early it was detected.

Also worth pointing out that Australia and NZ have the advantage of being islands…oh!!
Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 12:24 - Aug 19 with 1561 viewsLord_Lucan

Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 12:16 - Aug 19 by Guthrum

The biggest difference is that comparing Oz and NZ to the UK is like comparing Stowmarket to London

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 13:36 - Aug 19 with 1462 viewsurbanblue

Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 08:12 - Aug 19 by bluelagos

Interesting, my kid bro is in Perth and I sense the frustrations growing at not being able to travel internally, never mind a trip overseas. He also told me about low vaccination take up, initially due to poor availability of the vaccine, but now very much low take up by Aussies.

Seems there is a lot of complacency from people thinking they have next to nil covid in Aus so why bother getting jabbed.

Also saw some pics of anti lockdown protesters turning voilent (Sydney or Melbourne).

Brother has almost given up on getting to the Sydney and MCG ashes tests this winter.

People's liberty curtailed to save lives of the vulnerable. Same issues/dilemmas as every other country in the world.

But I do wonder how Aus can ever open up if they think a zero covid policy is the way in the future?

I lived 12 years in Perth and have lots of friends there. Even when the border was open as much as I wanted to I couldn't go as if someone as much as coughs in NSW the WA premier slams the border shut and , if they can't immediately leave, puts any visitors into Hotel Quarantine at their own expense. I know of a number of people with Parents/Children in WA who wonder when they will ever see them again.

Mark McGowan, the premier was reelected by a total landslide. Most there love his Zero Covid response. He has since backed that up by saying even with 80% vaccination he will reserve the right to lock down in the event of cases ... I just do not know how it will ever be completely open to the rest of the country or the world.
Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 13:45 - Aug 19 with 1433 viewsurbanblue

The problem is that the media and public now appear to demand Zero Covid. Any cases at all are just seen as unacceptable.

They also seem to be completely oblivious to the fact that there will be cases even with a high percentage of Vaccinations. It's very rarely mentioned ... If the borders open as soon as the cases start rising the panic will start and the Lockdowns will start again. There needs to be a total change in mindset away from just cases.
Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 13:48 - Aug 19 with 1416 viewshype313

Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 13:36 - Aug 19 by urbanblue

I lived 12 years in Perth and have lots of friends there. Even when the border was open as much as I wanted to I couldn't go as if someone as much as coughs in NSW the WA premier slams the border shut and , if they can't immediately leave, puts any visitors into Hotel Quarantine at their own expense. I know of a number of people with Parents/Children in WA who wonder when they will ever see them again.

Mark McGowan, the premier was reelected by a total landslide. Most there love his Zero Covid response. He has since backed that up by saying even with 80% vaccination he will reserve the right to lock down in the event of cases ... I just do not know how it will ever be completely open to the rest of the country or the world.

When the recession really bites and affects every single person then that's when you will see it open up.

Money talks and Australia is heavily reliant on tourism, to turn that tap off completely would be economic suicide, lets just hope the vaccination campaign ramps up in the coming months.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 13:48 - Aug 19 with 1413 viewsurbanblue

[Redacted] on 08:43 - Aug 19 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

I agree the aim should be as few deaths and severe illness as possible. The problem is that here it is as few cases as possible. As I said elsewhere there needs to be a change in mindset.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024