Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Other fan bases 07:47 - Aug 19 with 2758 viewsCornishMariner

There is a lot of mud being slung between different posters about our fan base at the moment - too critical, not critical enough blah blah so I did some research on the 5 championship teams that lost last night.

No surprises (1) - every team had at least one poster calling for the manager to go. Notts Forest was strongest but they are also doing the worst so far but even Middlesbrough were not immune.
No surprises (2) - every team had several posters criticising managerial decisions.
No surprises (3) - every team had posters asking for patience
No surprises (4) - every team had several posters criticising individual players
No surprises (5) - every team had posters calling for fans to get behind the team
No surprises (6) - Some teams also criticised the owners
No surprises (7) - every team had posters from other clubs taking delight at their loss

So ITFC is really no different to any other club. Football is a bit of a pantomime that provides a distraction for many and social media a platform for a few wannabe Piers Morgans. We win everything is good about the world, we lose and the blame game starts.

Some fans like the pantomime element, others seem to get upset by it. The trick with all social media and forums is to realise that you are in control of what you read: not every thread/post has to be read, mute/block/ignore buttons are available. If its analysis you want, wait at least 24 hours after the match and know the 4-5 accounts that can do this.

Poll: Between now and the new season will you mostly be ....

Other fan bases on 08:13 - Aug 19 with 2292 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Did any of those literally cheer the team and management on relegation followed by STILL singing the really downbeat, slow song that we all associate with it?
Other fan bases on 08:16 - Aug 19 with 2264 viewsArnieM

Other fan bases on 08:13 - Aug 19 by PrideOfTheEast

Did any of those literally cheer the team and management on relegation followed by STILL singing the really downbeat, slow song that we all associate with it?

We all look forward to hearing your replacement song 👍

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Other fan bases on 08:25 - Aug 19 with 2236 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Other fan bases on 08:16 - Aug 19 by ArnieM

Literally anything should be sung in priority to that - it’s depressing. A very prominent first team player now departed to you know where said to me and others that the players thought the same.

Plenty of new song suggestions on here in recent weeks. Or just stick to those sung 5 years ago. We don’t do the popular nonsense stolen from Palace or wherever well so shouldn’t do it.
Other fan bases on 08:26 - Aug 19 with 2224 viewsMattinLondon

Other fan bases on 08:16 - Aug 19 by ArnieM

Strange how many posters and fans now ridicule others for cheering the team after relegation - didn’t really hear that many at the time.

It’s almost as if they are trying to revise the past.
Other fan bases on 08:36 - Aug 19 with 2172 viewsBluesky

Oh, no it’s not!
Other fan bases on 08:46 - Aug 19 with 2136 viewsPinewoodblue

The only problem with content on TWTD is the unwarranted personal attacks on individual posters and almost always by the usual suspects.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Relegation singing on 08:53 - Aug 19 with 2099 viewskpblues

Other fan bases on 08:36 - Aug 19 by Bluesky

Oh, no it’s not!

Frankly I was, and am still proud of the way we sung when we got relegated.
It showed true support.
Even Colin Murray on the EFL programme said how brilliant we were.
The song represented our history at a time when we had nothing to celebrate for years.
We need that kind of support again now.
Don't just cheer the wins. Get behind the team.
Lets roar them on Saturday and show we are not just a random crowd but we are true Ipswich Town supporters.
COYB !

Poll: Do you want Ipswich to be a city?

Relegation singing on 09:02 - Aug 19 with 2070 viewsPinewoodblue

Relegation singing on 08:53 - Aug 19 by kpblues

It showed true support.
The song represented our history at a time when we had nothing to celebrate for years.
Lets roar them on Saturday and show we are not just a random crowd but we are true Ipswich Town supporters.
COYB !

Longtime ago now but when we were relegated from the top flight, last game of season away to Wednesday, we sang “we’re Sh1t and we know we are” but also promised we would be back.

2023 year of destiny

Login to get fewer ads

Relegation singing on 09:08 - Aug 19 with 2045 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Relegation singing on 09:02 - Aug 19 by Pinewoodblue

Longtime ago now but when we were relegated from the top flight, last game of season away to Wednesday, we sang “we’re Sh1t and we know we are” but also promised we would be back.

Much better.

Instead on relegation it was said that “Paul Lambert is a blue, he hates Norwich”. Norwich had just been promoted to the Premier League, we had dropped to the third tier for the first time in living memory.

Followed by a nice slow rendition of allez allez. Party atmosphere almost.
Relegation singing on 09:10 - Aug 19 with 2036 viewsPrideOfTheEast

It showed true support.
COYB !

I also think it’s great to support but don’t make relegation an event where a bunch of underachieving players and managers are applauded for doing it.
Relegation singing on 09:26 - Aug 19 with 1969 viewsBlueBadger

It showed true support.
COYB !

Lambert should have been tarred and feathered for the utterly spineless way he relegated us.

And then sacked.

Instead, the sort of people who bemoaned the club being content to wallow in mediocrity sang songs about him being a blue and made the second-most embarrassing ever ITFC banner about him.

/Bluefish mode off
[Post edited 19 Aug 2021 9:35]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Relegation singing on 09:32 - Aug 19 with 1950 viewsitfcjoe

Relegation singing on 09:10 - Aug 19 by PrideOfTheEast

I also think it’s great to support but don’t make relegation an event where a bunch of underachieving players and managers are applauded for doing it.

Had Lambert not gone mad with his chopping and changing and we romped to the League 1 title as it looked like we might in October then everyone would look back on that with reverance.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Relegation singing on 10:29 - Aug 19 with 1788 viewsTJS

Relegation singing on 09:02 - Aug 19 by Pinewoodblue

I went to that game as I thought it might be the last time I ever saw Town in the Premier League.
We were so bad that season I remember people tipping us for a double relegation.
Compared with now I do wonder if that took a lot of the pressure off for the following season and allowed us start building the team that eventually won at Wembley and qualified for Europe.
Other fan bases on 10:38 - Aug 19 with 1752 viewsMediocre_Quick

Its funny, because if we had started as strongly as we had the last few years, it would be a different atmosphere on here, but we start poorly with a new squad and suddenly its not good enough etc,

Our fanbase is a joke sometimes and so fickle
Relegation singing on 10:40 - Aug 19 with 1737 viewsPinewoodblue

Relegation singing on 10:29 - Aug 19 by TJS

I went to that game as I thought it might be the last time I ever saw Town in the Premier League.
We were so bad that season I remember people tipping us for a double relegation.
Compared with now I do wonder if that took a lot of the pressure off for the following season and allowed us start building the team that eventually won at Wembley and qualified for Europe.

No pressure on the manage unlike now. Wonder if we can do the same over the next five years and get back to the top flight. A much more difficult task than GB faced as it requires two promotions.

2023 year of destiny

Other fan bases on 10:46 - Aug 19 with 1710 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

Other fan bases on 10:38 - Aug 19 by Mediocre_Quick

Its funny, because if we had started as strongly as we had the last few years, it would be a different atmosphere on here, but we start poorly with a new squad and suddenly its not good enough etc,

Do not judge our fanbase only by those that post on the TWTD forum. I go to all of the home and nearly all of the away fixtures, and there are thousands of town fans who never ever post or even look on this forum. Social Media can never be said to be truly representative of 'the whole', so I would not be too alarmed....................yet!
Other fan bases on 10:48 - Aug 19 with 1702 viewsDanTheMan

Poor results increasing criticism is not exactly a shocking revelation.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Other fan bases on 10:49 - Aug 19 with 1691 viewsHerbivore

I don't think it's a "joke" for fans to be disappointed that in 4 games against Morecambe, Newport, Burton, and Cheltenham we've picked up one draw courtesy of a last minute equaliser whilst losing the other three. How should we feel about that set of results?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Some are fickle, some are balanced..... on 10:52 - Aug 19 with 1682 viewsBloots

...some are happy clappers.

I'd suggest about 50% are balanced, 10% fickle and 40% happy clappers.

Life is all about balance.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Relegation singing on 11:01 - Aug 19 with 1640 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Relegation singing on 09:32 - Aug 19 by itfcjoe

Had Lambert not gone mad with his chopping and changing and we romped to the League 1 title as it looked like we might in October then everyone would look back on that with reverance.

Probably.

I just think something other than Lambert is a blue he hates Norwich was a ridiculous song to sing upon relegation. The allez song obviously has some context for a team going down.
Relegation singing on 11:21 - Aug 19 with 1563 viewspointofblue

Relegation singing on 09:08 - Aug 19 by PrideOfTheEast

Much better.

Instead on relegation it was said that “Paul Lambert is a blue, he hates Norwich”. Norwich had just been promoted to the Premier League, we had dropped to the third tier for the first time in living memory.

Followed by a nice slow rendition of allez allez. Party atmosphere almost.

Considering our efforts since I’m glad we didn’t make any promises of returning in 18/19.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Some are fickle, some are balanced..... on 11:22 - Aug 19 with 1561 viewsMediocre_Quick

Some are fickle, some are balanced..... on 10:52 - Aug 19 by Bloots

...some are happy clappers.

I'd suggest about 50% are balanced, 10% fickle and 40% happy clappers.

Life is all about balance.

Unfortunately, that 10% seems to sit on this board and Twitter as soon as anything goes wrong,

I'd change the percentages to 49% balanced, 1% realists 10% fickle, 40% happy clappers,

Like yes, be annoyed, be p*ssed off we'ev started poorly, but calling for the managers head is a joke

He had 17 games with a squad full of players at the end of last season who barely any of them wanted to be here anymore, and he's had 4 games with a brand new squad essentially,

1 point from 9 isn't good enough, BUT, there are glimpses of what this time can do, and if after 7/8 games it's not working, then maybe the club needs to make a change, but for now, it's too early for the histerics
Some are fickle, some are balanced..... on 11:35 - Aug 19 with 1516 viewsHerbivore

Some are fickle, some are balanced..... on 11:22 - Aug 19 by Mediocre_Quick

Unfortunately, that 10% seems to sit on this board and Twitter as soon as anything goes wrong,

I'd change the percentages to 49% balanced, 1% realists 10% fickle, 40% happy clappers,

Like yes, be annoyed, be p*ssed off we'ev started poorly, but calling for the managers head is a joke

He had 17 games with a squad full of players at the end of last season who barely any of them wanted to be here anymore, and he's had 4 games with a brand new squad essentially,

1 point from 9 isn't good enough, BUT, there are glimpses of what this time can do, and if after 7/8 games it's not working, then maybe the club needs to make a change, but for now, it's too early for the histerics

Literally nobody on here has called for Cook's head and yet you're accusing others of hysterics? Come off it, fam.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

So you are giving him another.... on 11:42 - Aug 19 with 1501 viewsBloots

Some are fickle, some are balanced..... on 11:22 - Aug 19 by Mediocre_Quick

....3 or 4 matches, before you think the club might need to make a change?

I'll put you down in the "hysterical" column then.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Other fan bases on 11:55 - Aug 19 with 1454 viewstimothyeo

What you're basically saying is, fans opinions and excitement / disappointment vary based upon how their football club is performing?

Who knew.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024