Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
They're at it again 12:05 - Aug 20 with 4490 viewsgiant_stow

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/london-tube-strike-next-week-passengers-d

Given that TFL is getting bailed out, less people are using the tube and the fact that they're some of the best looked-after workers in the country, is this a fair or reasonable strike threat?

In my book, its just more extortion from a union for fat cats, running its normal racket.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

They're at it again on 12:24 - Aug 20 with 2485 viewsmeekreech

Problem is that the financial wizard responsible for the running of the system has no regard for keeping the system viable so will probably hurriedly concede all the requests made. It is time that the mess called transport for London is brought under sane and sensible control by being removed from the London mayor’s office.

Poll: who do you see as next manager ?

They're at it again on 12:48 - Aug 20 with 2446 viewsZx1988

It's a vicious circle, with the Mayor's office essentially being in hock to TfL and the unions.

I generally support a workforce's right to strike in favour of better terms and conditions, but it's clear that tube drivers are spectacularly well remunerated, with a basic starting salary for a qualified driver of around £56,500. If the usual railway regulations and customs prevail, it's likely that there is also no obligation to work Sundays, with the Sunday service being staffed voluntarily by staff on an overtime rate.

Knowing they have the power to bring the capital to a standstill at the drop of a hat, they have the power to essentially dictate their terms and conditions, with the Mayor's office essentially powerless to take them on.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

They're at it again on 13:23 - Aug 20 with 2395 viewsClapham_Junction

Don't really see how this is extortion given that they aren't asking for more money. The dispute seems to be around the abolition of dedicated night tube driver posts and merging them into the general driver pool and concerns that people in day or night tube posts may end up being required to work at a time their post doesn't currently cover.

The Evening Standard isn't exactly the best source for unbiased and fully contextualised info on trade unions.
They're at it again on 13:57 - Aug 20 with 2340 viewsHARRY10

extortion ?

where someone seeks to retain what they previously had

what an odd world some of you forelock tuggers live in
They're at it again on 14:01 - Aug 20 with 2334 viewsgiant_stow

They're at it again on 13:23 - Aug 20 by Clapham_Junction

Don't really see how this is extortion given that they aren't asking for more money. The dispute seems to be around the abolition of dedicated night tube driver posts and merging them into the general driver pool and concerns that people in day or night tube posts may end up being required to work at a time their post doesn't currently cover.

The Evening Standard isn't exactly the best source for unbiased and fully contextualised info on trade unions.

Thank you for the little lesson at the end, but I wasn't linking to the Standard for contextualized info - just the news story.

I provided the context myself.

They give workers' rights a bad name, and take money out of the pockets of often far less well paid people.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

They're at it again on 14:02 - Aug 20 with 2333 viewsgiant_stow

They're at it again on 13:57 - Aug 20 by HARRY10

extortion ?

You tug your forelock to the union. I'll worry about a city and people in real need.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2021 14:03]

They're at it again on 14:12 - Aug 20 with 2310 viewsEwan_Oozami

They're at it again on 14:02 - Aug 20 by giant_stow

You tug your forelock to the union. I'll worry about a city and people in real need.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2021 14:03]

The thing about train drivers, and pilots, and sea captains, is that they are responsible for getting people around safely, that's why the unions are strong in those areas, to stop unscrupulous employers from reducing safety levels in passenger transport.

It's one of the reasons why, in the UK at least, deaths per passenger mile are many times lower than individualised transport, such as cars and motorcycles...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

They're at it again on 14:18 - Aug 20 with 2294 viewsgiant_stow

They're at it again on 14:12 - Aug 20 by Ewan_Oozami

The thing about train drivers, and pilots, and sea captains, is that they are responsible for getting people around safely, that's why the unions are strong in those areas, to stop unscrupulous employers from reducing safety levels in passenger transport.

It's one of the reasons why, in the UK at least, deaths per passenger mile are many times lower than individualised transport, such as cars and motorcycles...

That's a reasonable point, but doesn't excuse the behavior of train driving unions whose actions regularly push the cost of living up for less well off Londoners. I've no idea why they're heroes of the left when all they do is suck money out of the pockets of nurses, teachers, cleaners, policemen, firefighters etc...

Login to get fewer ads

They're at it again on 14:22 - Aug 20 with 2282 viewsGlasgowBlue

They're at it again on 13:57 - Aug 20 by HARRY10

extortion ?

Yeah. Another bloody rightie!!!

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

They're at it again on 14:30 - Aug 20 with 2263 viewsEwan_Oozami

They're at it again on 14:18 - Aug 20 by giant_stow

That's a reasonable point, but doesn't excuse the behavior of train driving unions whose actions regularly push the cost of living up for less well off Londoners. I've no idea why they're heroes of the left when all they do is suck money out of the pockets of nurses, teachers, cleaners, policemen, firefighters etc...

That's an interesting interpretation...

They're at it again on 14:54 - Aug 20 with 2239 viewsgiant_stow

They're at it again on 14:30 - Aug 20 by Ewan_Oozami

That's an interesting interpretation...

Fair enough - I realise no good leftie should ever question any union - I just can't help but think that this cause is now poison and hurts people in greater need.

They're at it again on 14:58 - Aug 20 with 2228 viewsWD19

They're at it again on 14:12 - Aug 20 by Ewan_Oozami

What is the death rate on the DLR?
They're at it again on 14:59 - Aug 20 with 2225 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

They're at it again on 14:54 - Aug 20 by giant_stow

Fair enough - I realise no good leftie should ever question any union - I just can't help but think that this cause is now poison and hurts people in greater need.

What do you think the current dispute is about?

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

They're at it again on 15:10 - Aug 20 with 2182 viewsHerbivore

Maybe we don't all think it should be a race to the bottom, mate?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

They're at it again on 15:10 - Aug 20 with 2179 viewsEwan_Oozami

They're at it again on 14:58 - Aug 20 by WD19

What is the death rate on the DLR?

Good point! I think even the Stansted Monorail has a very low death rate as well...

They're at it again on 15:14 - Aug 20 with 2167 viewsClapham_Junction

Given the costs of housing in London, I don't think wages of tube drivers are unreasonably high. The issue is more that other people are underpaid relative to the cost of living.

Perhaps some people respect them because they show what workers can achieve when they are highly unionised? This is probably why they're so despised by much of the press (or rather their owners).
They're at it again on 15:49 - Aug 20 with 2119 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

If you earn between £50,000 and £100,000 annually, I would have thought a certain amount of flexibility should exist. I do not know all the details of this supposed strike but guess that it is avoidable with decent negotiators on both sides. This is 2021 after all.
They're at it again on 16:12 - Aug 20 with 2087 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

They're at it again on 15:49 - Aug 20 by Timefliesbyintheblue

If you earn between £50,000 and £100,000 annually, I would have thought a certain amount of flexibility should exist. I do not know all the details of this supposed strike but guess that it is avoidable with decent negotiators on both sides. This is 2021 after all.

As we're talking incomes, how much flexibility should someone on circa £150,000 p.a. (plus expenses) display?

Enough to take and make a few phone calls whilst on holiday?

Or enough to not go on holiday at a critical time for their work area?

They're at it again on 16:17 - Aug 20 with 2072 viewsHerbivore

They're at it again on 15:49 - Aug 20 by Timefliesbyintheblue

If you only earn £49,999 does that mean it's okay to be rigid and inflexible with your employer?

They're at it again on 17:28 - Aug 20 with 1987 viewsgiant_stow

They're at it again on 15:10 - Aug 20 by Herbivore

Maybe we don't all think it should be a race to the bottom, mate?

By that logic, next time we read about a CEO getting a huge pay rise, we should just congratulate them and work towards everyone being paid gazillions.

In the real world there's a limited pot - when one takes more, another loses.

I'm not up for a race to the bottom - I just object to special treatment for the elite few, at the cost of everyone else.

They're at it again on 17:40 - Aug 20 with 1970 viewsHerbivore

They're at it again on 17:28 - Aug 20 by giant_stow

By that logic, next time we read about a CEO getting a huge pay rise, we should just congratulate them and work towards everyone being paid gazillions.

I'm not up for a race to the bottom - I just object to special treatment for the elite few, at the cost of everyone else.

Tube drivers aren't the elite few though, and that you think they are highlights what a grand job the government and press has done in brainwashing people to turn on their fellow working man rather than on the genuine elite classes.

They're at it again on 18:04 - Aug 20 with 1940 viewsJ2BLUE

They're at it again on 17:28 - Aug 20 by giant_stow

What job do you do?

At first glance I have to say i'm siding with the drivers. Times are changing and we should support decent working rights for everyone. I was pleased to see millenials, a group I usually resent being part of for various reasons, refusing to go back to offices recently. Our entire approach to work life really needs a massive overhaul.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

They're at it again on 18:13 - Aug 20 with 1910 viewsGlasgowBlue

They're at it again on 14:54 - Aug 20 by giant_stow

You are wrong. Good leffties are quite happy to question the leader of the teachers union in Scotland when they dare to speak out against St Nicola.

You'll get the hang of how this works one day.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

They're at it again on 18:39 - Aug 20 with 1860 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

They're at it again on 17:40 - Aug 20 by Herbivore

Tube drivers aren't the elite few though, and that you think they are highlights what a grand job the government and press has done in brainwashing people to turn on their fellow working man rather than on the genuine elite classes.

To so many poorly paid folk, those on minimum wage for example, the tube drivers ARE among the elite few. It has nothing to do with the press or brainwashing.
A working man in most peoples opinion is anyone that has to work to provide for their family - that is most of us (except me of course, I am retired after working 49 years!)
Please let us not have a throwback to the 1970's when unions held us all to ransom!
Oh and before you get too left wing with me, I accept the fact that without trade unions we would still be sending little boys up chimneys. I am not biased sufficiently though to think that this action is necessary.
They're at it again on 19:07 - Aug 20 with 1820 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

They're at it again on 18:39 - Aug 20 by Timefliesbyintheblue

To so many poorly paid folk, those on minimum wage for example, the tube drivers ARE among the elite few. It has nothing to do with the press or brainwashing.
A working man in most peoples opinion is anyone that has to work to provide for their family - that is most of us (except me of course, I am retired after working 49 years!)
Please let us not have a throwback to the 1970's when unions held us all to ransom!
Oh and before you get too left wing with me, I accept the fact that without trade unions we would still be sending little boys up chimneys. I am not biased sufficiently though to think that this action is necessary.

15:49 today " I do not know all the details of this supposed strike" (I assume you meant proposed strike - damn auto-correct).

And yet you imply that you think the proposed action is unnecessary.

I'm not sure how you reached that latter conclusion without an understanding of the details unless you were already approaching the matter from a position of bias.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024