Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Although we are still yet to register a win 20:10 - Aug 21 with 3385 viewsRobbie12345

I have never been so entertained watching football, which makes it all the more frustrating how we only have 2 points. First win will come vs Wimbledon, we will blow them away.

Poll: You can start one vs Birmingham

Although we are still yet to register a win on 22:31 - Aug 21 with 1052 viewsRomeo4

Although we are still yet to register a win on 22:25 - Aug 21 by pointofblue

bazza reckoned no one could name more than two or three entertaining games under Mick; that was my response. Yes, we lost a lot too, a couple heavily early on, but bear in mind this was the season where we looked absolutely lost early on under Jewell.

The football under Mick and Lambert was in the most part very dull. Often we would wait the best part of an hour or so to register a shot on goal. Not laying all the blame for that at the managers door. Years of mis-management above them is the main reason.

Cook’s not found the winning formula yet but at least it looks like we might at last come away from games feeling we’ve had a right go.
Although we are still yet to register a win on 22:36 - Aug 21 with 1040 viewsbazza

Although we are still yet to register a win on 22:31 - Aug 21 by patrickswell

In it's own way, this is as spurious as those saying "I bet you'd have wanted Bobby Robson sacked in his early days too" considering that:

A) Those results were all obtained at a higher level of football.

B) 4 of those sides are Premier League sides. One of them has even won it since we played (and beat them at Portman Road) in that season. No, it's not Cook's fault that we're miles away from those teams now, but on current evidence, a Cook led Ipswich would likely lose even more heavily to those teams given the current inability under him to beat pretty much any third tier side.

I’m lost for words 😂😂
Although we are still yet to register a win on 22:37 - Aug 21 with 1033 viewspatrickswell

Although we are still yet to register a win on 22:36 - Aug 21 by bazza

I’m lost for words 😂😂

Facts will do that to you.
Although we are still yet to register a win on 22:40 - Aug 21 with 1025 viewspointofblue

Although we are still yet to register a win on 22:31 - Aug 21 by bazza

I never said we didn’t win games, it was more the enjoyment of
The game, not the result.. the hoofball was dreadful

I admit I think Mick went into his shell late on in his time here and it did become turgid but we had quite a few entertaining games prior to that. And at a higher level than we are now.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Although we are still yet to register a win on 22:44 - Aug 21 with 1014 viewsbazza

Although we are still yet to register a win on 22:40 - Aug 21 by pointofblue

I admit I think Mick went into his shell late on in his time here and it did become turgid but we had quite a few entertaining games prior to that. And at a higher level than we are now.

Micks gone, we are a league 1 club, let’s get behind the manager and the team. Not reminiscing about championship hoof ball.
Although we are still yet to register a win on 22:45 - Aug 21 with 1010 viewstimothyeo

Although we are still yet to register a win on 22:31 - Aug 21 by bazza

I never said we didn’t win games, it was more the enjoyment of
The game, not the result.. the hoofball was dreadful

No, you said we couldn't name more than a handful of good games under Mick.

And you've been given 5 or 6 just from one season.

Because you're talking absolute rubbish.

And the sad thing is deep down you know it, but because you gave Mick so much stick you're doubling down and looking a numpty.
Although we are still yet to register a win on 22:45 - Aug 21 with 1008 viewsStrimmer

There’s a real puritanical edge to this forum and I have to say I don’t like it one bit.

OP comes on to say he’s enjoying the football as entertainment at least, despite it all, and here comes the cavalry to tell him he’s WRONG and he shouldn’t be enjoying himself, this is actually AWFUL beyond words and if you understood football like ME you would be miserable like me and therefore correct. Then follows some reasoning to prove whatever the specific gripe is. Blah blah blah etc. Grow up!

Poll: Was it a punch?

Although we are still yet to register a win on 22:47 - Aug 21 with 995 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Although we are still yet to register a win on 22:25 - Aug 21 by pointofblue

bazza reckoned no one could name more than two or three entertaining games under Mick; that was my response. Yes, we lost a lot too, a couple heavily early on, but bear in mind this was the season where we looked absolutely lost early on under Jewell.

My point, if I have one at all, is that it is possible to cherry pick games from any season under any manager that are entertaining (or not).

So perhaps what I am doing is not responding to you directly (sorry about that but it was an easy way in) but to questions like Bazza's that seem to me to have little relevance to where we are today.

Were we more entertaining under McCarthy? Each will have their own opinion but he ceased to be our manager 3 years ago and the performance of his teams has little to no bearing on the performance of the current side. Continuing to harp on about McCarthy, or Jim, or Royle, is the same as looking back to George or John or Bobby or Bill or Alf. It's redundant and serves no purpose.

We are a third tier side and today, though our opponents for me played the better football, were competitive, deserved the draw (for all their good play MK scored from a set piece and a defensive howler) and may have fluked a win (particularly having taken the lead) in what was, for the third tier, an entertaining game of football.

Am I disappointed? Damn right.
Will I be back for the next game? Of course.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Login to get fewer ads

Although we are still yet to register a win on 22:48 - Aug 21 with 995 views44_not_out

Although we are still yet to register a win on 22:31 - Aug 21 by Romeo4

The football under Mick and Lambert was in the most part very dull. Often we would wait the best part of an hour or so to register a shot on goal. Not laying all the blame for that at the managers door. Years of mis-management above them is the main reason.

Cook’s not found the winning formula yet but at least it looks like we might at last come away from games feeling we’ve had a right go.

I don’t know for sure but I assume MM’s win percentage is far greater than PC’s

MM had far less investment in his squad and his results were achieved at a higher level.

But if you’re happy to watch us in League One ‘have a go’ but not necessarily get anything, you knock yourself out

For me, and I posted this previously, a dull 1-0 win will do me fine
Although we are still yet to register a win on 22:50 - Aug 21 with 986 viewsbazza

Although we are still yet to register a win on 22:45 - Aug 21 by timothyeo

And the sad thing is deep down you know it, but because you gave Mick so much stick you're doubling down and looking a numpty.

Never gave mick much stick to be fair, read previous post, .. and the words I questioned were enjoyable games.. not winning games.. was happy with the wins but the hoofball wasn’t that enjoyable TBF..
Although we are still yet to register a win on 22:53 - Aug 21 with 976 viewsbazza

Although we are still yet to register a win on 22:47 - Aug 21 by You_Bloo_Right

My point, if I have one at all, is that it is possible to cherry pick games from any season under any manager that are entertaining (or not).

So perhaps what I am doing is not responding to you directly (sorry about that but it was an easy way in) but to questions like Bazza's that seem to me to have little relevance to where we are today.

Were we more entertaining under McCarthy? Each will have their own opinion but he ceased to be our manager 3 years ago and the performance of his teams has little to no bearing on the performance of the current side. Continuing to harp on about McCarthy, or Jim, or Royle, is the same as looking back to George or John or Bobby or Bill or Alf. It's redundant and serves no purpose.

We are a third tier side and today, though our opponents for me played the better football, were competitive, deserved the draw (for all their good play MK scored from a set piece and a defensive howler) and may have fluked a win (particularly having taken the lead) in what was, for the third tier, an entertaining game of football.

My whole point is regarding people harping on about McHoofy and not backing the current manager..?
Although we are still yet to register a win on 23:15 - Aug 21 with 942 viewsGeomorph

Although we are still yet to register a win on 22:18 - Aug 21 by timothyeo

See the post above yours for evidence of how much you don't know football.

Lol..
Although we are still yet to register a win on 23:29 - Aug 21 with 926 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Although we are still yet to register a win on 22:53 - Aug 21 by bazza

My whole point is regarding people harping on about McHoofy and not backing the current manager..?

Indeed but, if I may say so and please don't take offense for none is intended, perhaps allowing yourself to be side-tracked into these needless comparisons.

Was the football "better" under ANY manager when we were in a higher division than we are now? To some the answer to that question is easy simply because we were in a higher division. For me it's not that simple but then I'm so old that I still long for a Corinthian approach to sporting endeavour.

Football is football and I don't think it is beyond the wit of anyone to set their expectations according to the level of the game they are watching (I have been entertained by a Sunday morning pub league game even when I have an emotional attachment to one of the sides and that side loses).

We are a tier three side. I think we have a better than tier three team. I also think that our team has been assembled so late in the day that it is almost as if we are in our pre-season build up as far as team/squad development goes. Far from ideal but there we are. I suppose if I were entirely honest with myself I think it may take more than this season to see this squad/team at its best (sorry for all the HMS Piss-the-league squad but it is just my opinion after all).

So I'm disappointed (a bit) with today's result and disappointed with today's performance BUT I think this team can play the type of football MK were trying today and play it considerably better than MK did. Time will tell of course but I'm going to give it time and I guess you will too.

Edited just to try to bring it back to the point of the thread - was I more entertained? Yes. Does that mean I am happy about us being in the third tier? No.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2021 23:44]

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Although we are still yet to register a win on 23:44 - Aug 21 with 906 viewsGarv

Although we are still yet to register a win on 22:10 - Aug 21 by pointofblue

2012/13
Ipswich 3-1 Nottingham Forest
Ipswich 3-0 Millwall
Ipswich 4-0 Middlesbrough
Ipswich 3-0 Leeds
Ipswich 3-0 Crystal Palace
Ipswich 3-1 Birmingham

Shall I continue into the following seasons?

Mick wasn't at the Middleborough game.

Yes, I'm that guy.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Although we are still yet to register a win on 23:46 - Aug 21 with 905 viewsRomeo4

Although we are still yet to register a win on 22:48 - Aug 21 by 44_not_out

I don’t know for sure but I assume MM’s win percentage is far greater than PC’s

MM had far less investment in his squad and his results were achieved at a higher level.

But if you’re happy to watch us in League One ‘have a go’ but not necessarily get anything, you knock yourself out

For me, and I posted this previously, a dull 1-0 win will do me fine

Never said I was happy to be in League 1 just having a go. I just don’t believe that grinding out 1-0 victories is the way forward for us. You can get results by playing entertaining football.

I take your point that MM was operating in a higher league however Cook has come in whilst in L1 so has to play the cards as they’re dealt. The new ownership makes this an entirely different scenario so I just don’t see how this constant harping back to MM’s time is in anyway relevant or helpful. Move on and just get behind the current club because if this fails then I dread to think where we’ll be left.
Although we are still yet to register a win on 00:30 - Aug 22 with 879 viewsSeablu

Although we are still yet to register a win on 21:51 - Aug 21 by bazza

And if so, maybe we should encourage A future town fan.. rather than try make fun? ..

A future fan?
Whilst you’re wearing your gullible hat, may I have your bank details and PIN?
You’ve just won the Nigerian lottery.
Although we are still yet to register a win on 01:01 - Aug 22 with 849 viewsITFCBlues

Although we are still yet to register a win on 22:45 - Aug 21 by timothyeo

Mick done a great job here, but let's be honest, there's a reason there was less than 12k fans in the stadium in his last season here.

The football was dire and we were all bored stiff watching his sides play.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Although we are still yet to register a win on 01:46 - Aug 22 with 831 viewsSharkey

Although we are still yet to register a win on 22:47 - Aug 21 by You_Bloo_Right

I liked this post. But I must admit I was distracted by the pic and went off and listened to 'Good Year for the Roses'.
Although we are still yet to register a win on 08:15 - Aug 22 with 770 viewschrismakin

Although we are still yet to register a win on 22:31 - Aug 21 by Romeo4

Sad thing is, going further back there were games under Burley and Royle where we'd be applauded off the pitch after giving it a good go and still not getting 3 points.

Sadly, a new breed of fans has grown up since those days into modern football supporting adults.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2021 8:17]

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024