Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone seen Nigel Cloughs post game interview? 11:37 - Aug 22 with 3091 viewschrismakin

ouch

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Anyone seen Nigel Cloughs post game interview? on 11:48 - Aug 22 with 2959 viewspointofblue

Somebody who’s only made a managerial career from daddy’s name.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Anyone seen Nigel Cloughs post game interview? on 11:52 - Aug 22 with 2927 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Anyone seen Nigel Cloughs post game interview? on 11:48 - Aug 22 by pointofblue

Well, and his football career.

Darren Fergusson fits your framing far better. But he's done alright hasn't he?

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Anyone seen Nigel Cloughs post game interview? on 11:53 - Aug 22 with 2910 viewspointofblue

Anyone seen Nigel Cloughs post game interview? on 11:52 - Aug 22 by Cheltenham_Blue

Ferguson and Clough have both done reasonably at a single club but struggled when they’ve gone elsewhere.

Anyone seen Nigel Cloughs post game interview? on 12:06 - Aug 22 with 2808 viewsChrisd

Utter crap and a very lazy statement. If you have a look at Nigel Clough's record he's a steady hand and has done a decent job wherever he's been.

Win percentages as manager:
Burton Albion - 43.7% (Games - 709)
Derby County 33.5% (Games - 233)
Sheffield United - 47.1% (Games - 104)
Burton Albion - 34.2% (Games - 228)
Mansfield Town - 41.9% (Games - 43)

Overall - Games managed - 1,316 with a win % of 40.4

Lets put this in context Brian Clough's overall win percentage was 46.5 from 1,453 games. Appreciate Clough senior's record in the main and the standard of football was higher and he had better players to work with, but Nigel Clough record certainly isn't a bad one in comparison to many managers. He's had it worse that he has the burden of the Clough name to justify his managerial credentials too, like with the statement you made. In fact, Paul Cook's overall win percentage as manager is 42.3% (692 games), although he is having a challenging spell with us currently it difficult to argue that he's not had a very successful managerial career so far.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Anyone seen Nigel Cloughs post game interview? on 12:08 - Aug 22 with 2794 viewsSharkey

I enjoyed that! And hats off to the interviewer who very gently kept pushing him. I bet Hewitt isn't looking forward to the next training session.
Anyone seen Nigel Cloughs post game interview? on 12:09 - Aug 22 with 2778 viewspointofblue

Anyone seen Nigel Cloughs post game interview? on 12:06 - Aug 22 by Chrisd

Utter crap and a very lazy statement. If you have a look at Nigel Clough's record he's a steady hand and has done a decent job wherever he's been.

Win percentages as manager:
Burton Albion - 43.7% (Games - 709)
Derby County 33.5% (Games - 233)
Sheffield United - 47.1% (Games - 104)
Burton Albion - 34.2% (Games - 228)
Mansfield Town - 41.9% (Games - 43)

Overall - Games managed - 1,316 with a win % of 40.4

Lets put this in context Brian Clough's overall win percentage was 46.5 from 1,453 games. Appreciate Clough senior's record in the main and the standard of football was higher and he had better players to work with, but Nigel Clough record certainly isn't a bad one in comparison to many managers. He's had it worse that he has the burden of the Clough name to justify his managerial credentials too, like with the statement you made. In fact, Paul Cook's overall win percentage as manager is 42.3% (692 games), although he is having a challenging spell with us currently it difficult to argue that he's not had a very successful managerial career so far.

Wasn’t he expected to do better in those posts though? Derby were spending for promotion, Sheffield United fighting to get out of League One - he didn’t fulfil either remit against expectations. I think there’s a case of Cook here at Mansfield as well; he didn’t get the results many expected when he first took over.

I was maybe flippant with my first comment and I apologise for that but I don’t think he’s been as successful as the stats might suggest at first reading.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2021 12:13]

Anyone seen Nigel Cloughs post game interview? on 12:12 - Aug 22 with 2768 viewsChrisd

Anyone seen Nigel Cloughs post game interview? on 11:52 - Aug 22 by Cheltenham_Blue

Clough was a far better player than he was given credit for. He might not have been the quickest, but he was very intelligent in the way that he played the game and could see a pass quicker than most. You don't play the amount of top level games Nigel Clough did if he was a poor player. Brian Clough certainly didn't make it easy for him while at Nottingham Forest either, if anything he expected more from him because he was his son.

Anyone seen Nigel Cloughs post game interview? on 12:15 - Aug 22 with 2734 viewsChrisd

Anyone seen Nigel Cloughs post game interview? on 12:09 - Aug 22 by pointofblue

Wasn’t he expected to do better in those posts though? Derby were spending for promotion, Sheffield United fighting to get out of League One - he didn’t fulfil either remit against expectations. I think there’s a case of Cook here at Mansfield as well; he didn’t get the results many expected when he first took over.

I was maybe flippant with my first comment and I apologise for that but I don’t think he’s been as successful as the stats might suggest at first reading.

Blimey, if we ended up with a manager with a win percentage higher than 40% - over a sustained period of time - then there wouldn't be too much moaning on here.

Even MM's win percentage with us was 37.6% from 279 games.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2021 12:18]

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone seen Nigel Cloughs post game interview? on 12:19 - Aug 22 with 2701 viewspointofblue

Anyone seen Nigel Cloughs post game interview? on 12:15 - Aug 22 by Chrisd

Blimey, if we ended up with a manager with a win percentage higher than 40% - over a sustained period of time - then there wouldn't be too much moaning on here.

Even MM's win percentage with us was 37.6% from 279 games.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2021 12:18]

I think that would be because we would have collectively fainted with shock!

At Derby and Sheffield United, Clough was at clubs with expectation and he didn’t fulfil the brief. I admit I was unnecessarily cutting with the “daddy” reference so I’ll apologise for that. Don’t like it when managers throw players under the bus, especially when he could have done something to correct it, so probably a knee jerk reaction on my part.

Anyone seen Nigel Cloughs post game interview? on 12:22 - Aug 22 with 2677 viewsBluefields

Nonsense, he’s been a decent manager. Not brilliant but decent.
Anyone seen Nigel Cloughs post game interview? on 12:27 - Aug 22 with 2638 viewsChrisd

Anyone seen Nigel Cloughs post game interview? on 12:19 - Aug 22 by pointofblue

I think that would be because we would have collectively fainted with shock!

At Derby and Sheffield United, Clough was at clubs with expectation and he didn’t fulfil the brief. I admit I was unnecessarily cutting with the “daddy” reference so I’ll apologise for that. Don’t like it when managers throw players under the bus, especially when he could have done something to correct it, so probably a knee jerk reaction on my part.

I'm just putting the stats out there Point of Blue. Personally, I don't think NC is the most dynamic of managers, but you are in a safe pair of hands with him at the helm. Derby County as we all know are a basket case of a club and looking how quickly Sheffield United have fallen they'd snap your arm off for a manager with 47.1% win percentage currently. I appreciate that stats don't tell the whole story too, however it is fair to say - based on the stats alone - he's done pretty well wherever he's been as a manager.

Anyone seen Nigel Cloughs post game interview? on 12:29 - Aug 22 with 2625 viewspointofblue

Anyone seen Nigel Cloughs post game interview? on 12:27 - Aug 22 by Chrisd

I'm just putting the stats out there Point of Blue. Personally, I don't think NC is the most dynamic of managers, but you are in a safe pair of hands with him at the helm. Derby County as we all know are a basket case of a club and looking how quickly Sheffield United have fallen they'd snap your arm off for a manager with 47.1% win percentage currently. I appreciate that stats don't tell the whole story too, however it is fair to say - based on the stats alone - he's done pretty well wherever he's been as a manager.

Most teams would love a manager with 47.1% win percentage but I’m not sure if Sheffield United would have Clough back.

Anyone seen Nigel Cloughs post game interview? on 12:30 - Aug 22 with 2620 viewsSharkey

Anyone seen Nigel Cloughs post game interview? on 12:09 - Aug 22 by pointofblue

I think he was surprisingly unsuccessful last season when he came in at Mansfield. Certainly most pundits expected him to take Mansfield up with the squad they had, but they simply couldn't win at home. (Of course, that was without the advantage of their relatively big crowds.)

But I saw them against Colchester last week, and they were mighty impressive, and I'm pretty sure they'll win the league unless the standard has gone up enormously this season. I was quite surprised by Clough - how large he is and how loudly he bellows at the ref. there was a bit of Steve Evans about him.
Anyone seen Nigel Cloughs post game interview? on 13:02 - Aug 22 with 2502 viewsTrumptonBlue

I quite liked Elliott Hewitt. Thought he might have been given more of a chance here.
Anyone seen Nigel Cloughs post game interview? on 13:34 - Aug 22 with 2357 viewsIllinoisblue

Anyone seen Nigel Cloughs post game interview? on 12:08 - Aug 22 by Sharkey

I enjoyed that! And hats off to the interviewer who very gently kept pushing him. I bet Hewitt isn't looking forward to the next training session.

It’s that unwritten rule of football that managers don’t dig out their players in public but it’s good entertainment when it’s not your club. Nigel channeling his old man there.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Anyone seen Nigel Cloughs post game interview? on 14:20 - Aug 22 with 2120 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

You don’t get 14 England caps because of who your dad was.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Anyone seen Nigel Cloughs post game interview? on 15:03 - Aug 22 with 1979 viewsSwansea_Blue

Anyone seen Nigel Cloughs post game interview? on 13:34 - Aug 22 by Illinoisblue

It’s that unwritten rule of football that managers don’t dig out their players in public but it’s good entertainment when it’s not your club. Nigel channeling his old man there.

If that's how he treats his players then maybe it goes some way to explaining why he hasn't had more success as a manager. I can't see them preparing to run through walls for him knowing they're one match away from getting hung out to dry.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Anyone seen Nigel Cloughs post game interview? on 15:04 - Aug 22 with 1965 viewschrismakin

Anyone seen Nigel Cloughs post game interview? on 14:20 - Aug 22 by WestStanderLaLaLa

You don’t get 14 England caps because of who your dad was.

Didn't do Andre any harm ;)

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Anyone seen Nigel Cloughs post game interview? on 15:33 - Aug 22 with 1859 viewshoppy

Anyone seen Nigel Cloughs post game interview? on 13:02 - Aug 22 by TrumptonBlue

I quite liked Elliott Hewitt. Thought he might have been given more of a chance here.

Oli Hawkins seems to like it there… 3 goals in 4 games. Didn’t really see him as the prolific striker option here. He’s ahead of Sears 2 in 4 and Drinan - 1 (and 2 assists) in 3 of our old strikers in Leagur 2.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Anyone seen Nigel Cloughs post game interview? on 15:37 - Aug 22 with 1830 viewschrismakin

Anyone seen Nigel Cloughs post game interview? on 15:33 - Aug 22 by hoppy

Oli Hawkins seems to like it there… 3 goals in 4 games. Didn’t really see him as the prolific striker option here. He’s ahead of Sears 2 in 4 and Drinan - 1 (and 2 assists) in 3 of our old strikers in Leagur 2.

League 2 is a dream for Hawkins. Just stays in and around the box and waits.

Anyone seen Nigel Cloughs post game interview? on 15:38 - Aug 22 with 1821 viewshoppy

Anyone seen Nigel Cloughs post game interview? on 15:37 - Aug 22 by chrismakin

League 2 is a dream for Hawkins. Just stays in and around the box and waits.

As Clough said, he just wants him to stay within the width of the goal…

Anyone seen Nigel Cloughs post game interview? on 16:18 - Aug 22 with 1673 viewsstiff_talking

Anyone seen Nigel Cloughs post game interview? on 15:38 - Aug 22 by hoppy

Nigel sounds like Dad! At last ! Vintage Clough
Anyone seen Nigel Cloughs post game interview? on 19:14 - Aug 22 with 1320 viewsSwansea_Blue

Anyone seen Nigel Cloughs post game interview? on 15:38 - Aug 22 by hoppy

Good job he’s not managing Akinfenwa then!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Anyone seen Nigel Cloughs post game interview? on 19:18 - Aug 22 with 1310 viewshoppy

Anyone seen Nigel Cloughs post game interview? on 19:14 - Aug 22 by Swansea_Blue

Good job he’s not managing Akinfenwa then!

Turn through 90 degrees?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024