Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Players from abroad 12:48 - Aug 24 with 755 viewsBlueySwede

Is it harder for english clubs to recruit foreign players after Brexit? (work permits etc).
I miss the days when we used to have a decent scouting network abroad, for example in Scandinavia (think his name was Simon Hunt, also a player for Wrexham and IK Brage here in Sweden).
There is a lot of talent out there, I do hope scouting is one of the things our new owners want to improve.
Players from abroad on 12:53 - Aug 24 with 729 viewsGarv

On the face of it we don't seem to have had a proper scouting network over the last 10+ years, and it's showed with very little activity in that market. I agree, it would be great to see it improve but obviously it's a tricky time to try and do it. Scouting should by high up the list of priorities, whether abroad or not.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Players from abroad on 12:55 - Aug 24 with 714 viewsDanTheMan

Simply put, yes.

It is very unlikely given our current position we'd be able to sign anyone from overseas. They need a certain amount of points that are based on where they play, how often they play and whether they play for their country.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Players from abroad on 12:58 - Aug 24 with 698 viewsCrockerITFC

I think the visa scoring system makes it very difficult for a club at our level to sign one unless we go for a very old international with several caps.

Premier League clubs have found a sort of workaround to still sign young international players by buying European football teams (a large number of Belgian clubs are now owned or in a network with PL clubs). The idea behind it is for the parent PL club to buy the player and then loan them out to the European partner club so they get games in a top league and gain points towards a visa so they are eventually eligible to play in the PL.
Players from abroad on 13:09 - Aug 24 with 667 viewsjayessess

The new visa system is very difficult for clubs at our level, unless you're playing very regularly for a team in the top 3 bands, you aren't realistically going to qualify.

That said, if you concentrated your scouting efforts specifically on the low-status Band 2 and 3 leagues you might find a few leads?

Band 2 has the Portuguese, Dutch, Belgian and Turkish leagues, Band 3 Brazil, Argentina, Mexico and Russia. Obviously we're not in a position to take any good players off Porto, Ajax or River Plate, but I don't imagine we're financially unable to compete with smaller clubs in those leagues?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Players from abroad on 13:14 - Aug 24 with 646 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Players from abroad on 12:55 - Aug 24 by DanTheMan

Simply put, yes.

It is very unlikely given our current position we'd be able to sign anyone from overseas. They need a certain amount of points that are based on where they play, how often they play and whether they play for their country.

This should see a decrease in EU nationals playing in this country. I wonder if the stats are readily available. I haven't heard of any in-contract players being sent back. Are there provisions for those already here as long as they filled in paperwork (leave to stay or something wasn't it?)?

I wonder if it would help the English game to still have top foreign internationals here but fewer EU nationals lower down the leagues.

Clearly we haven't had any issue with Holy, Hladky or Dobra. Do any of them have joint citizenship? Donacien was able to get a permit so I presume the same criteria as applied to him now apply to the EU players.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Players from abroad on 13:24 - Aug 24 with 617 viewsjayessess

Players from abroad on 13:14 - Aug 24 by Nthsuffolkblue

This should see a decrease in EU nationals playing in this country. I wonder if the stats are readily available. I haven't heard of any in-contract players being sent back. Are there provisions for those already here as long as they filled in paperwork (leave to stay or something wasn't it?)?

I wonder if it would help the English game to still have top foreign internationals here but fewer EU nationals lower down the leagues.

Clearly we haven't had any issue with Holy, Hladky or Dobra. Do any of them have joint citizenship? Donacien was able to get a permit so I presume the same criteria as applied to him now apply to the EU players.

Holy and Hladky could've applied for settled status, as they were already here when Brexit happened. Dobs was born in Redbridge and is a British citizen (and Albania isn't in the EU anyway).

I don't think either Holy or Hladky's original moves to the UK would've been eligible for a visa, as they were both reserve keepers in a Band 4 League.
[Post edited 24 Aug 2021 13:46]

Players from abroad on 13:51 - Aug 24 with 539 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Players from abroad on 12:55 - Aug 24 by DanTheMan

Simply put, yes.

Isn't it all to do with wages too? And stature of the selling club?
They have to be on certain wages here to qualify?

Basically we wouldn't be able to go and sign an Ulrich LePen, (small mercies), again, but we would be able to get an Amir Karic, (Non sensical)

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Players from abroad on 14:02 - Aug 24 with 515 viewsDanTheMan

Players from abroad on 13:51 - Aug 24 by Cheltenham_Blue

Basically we wouldn't be able to go and sign an Ulrich LePen, (small mercies), again, but we would be able to get an Amir Karic, (Non sensical)

Don't think the stature of the selling club comes into it, only what league they play in.

Same with wages, I've not seen anything to do with that in rules but might have missed it. You can find the rules at the bottom of this:
https://www.thefa.com/news/2020/dec/01/gbe-points-based-system-launched-011220

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Login to get fewer ads

Players from abroad on 14:11 - Aug 24 with 497 viewsjayessess

Players from abroad on 13:51 - Aug 24 by Cheltenham_Blue

There's special criteria for football and wages don't form part of the equation.

For senior players, you get points for:
(1) Regular international appearances in the last 12 months, on a sliding scale according to FIFA world ranking and percentage of games appeared in.
(2) Regular domestic minutes in the last 12 months, on a sliding scaled according to status of your league (and % of games).
(3) Regular minutes on continental competition (sliding scale by status of competition)
(4) Your club's final league position
(5) Your club's progress in continental competition
(6) The status of your club's league.

For example - if we tried to sign the 2020-21 captain of RJC Waalwijk Anas Tahiri, he'd get 10 points for playing in the Eredivisie (Band 2) and 10 points for playing regularly for a Band 2 team. But no further points for league position (Band 2 you need to qualify for Europe to get more points), nor for continental competition participation or progress. He can't get a game for Morocco either, so no points there. 15 points is the target, so he (or anyone else regularly playing in the Eredivisie) would be fine.

I think Le Pen would have qualified in November 2001 because Lorient were in Ligue 1, a Band One competition, and he was playing regularly for them.

The Slovenian league we signed Amir Karic from is Band 5, so I don't think he would have, but they were in the Champions League and he played regularly for Slovenia, so maybe?

[Post edited 24 Aug 2021 14:35]

Players from abroad on 14:26 - Aug 24 with 447 viewsKeno

to be fair we have signed someone from a foreign club, Edmundson has come from Rangers

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024