Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So, listening to the Battersea Poltergeist on BBC Sounds 12:28 - Aug 25 with 3423 viewshomer_123

Anyone care to share their ghostly (non-football) experiences?

A fair few years ago when I was in my 20s I stayed at at B&B whilst between work appointments. Old cottagey type place, November, it was very cold and wet and even though the heating (rad) in the room was on - around 11 ish it got properly cold, I could see my breathe. Felt really uncomfortable and the room started to feel 'odd' though I cannot describe why.

Anyways, as I finally got myself settled down I turned off the light and I swear I heard a voice and felt a breathe right next to my head - it shouted my name in my ear.

Scared the absolute sh*t out of me, properly shaking, I could feel the blood draining from my head. Laid there for about 15 mins before I turned the light back in - by which point the room was back to normal. But I was utterly petrified and didn't sleep at all that night.

Never experienced anything like that before or since. Quite easily my mind playing tricks on me with the voice as I was just drifting off to sleep but the drop in temperature couldn't have been in my head.
[Post edited 25 Aug 2021 12:32]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Ghosts don't exist mate.... on 12:46 - Aug 25 with 1989 viewsBloots

...if they did we'd be bumping into them every two minutes.

We'd be bleedin' inundated with them!

I think you missed an important part of your story out:

"Anyways, as I finally got myself settled down I turned off the light, **fell asleep** and I swear I heard a voice...."

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Ghosts don't exist mate.... on 13:05 - Aug 25 with 1947 viewshomer_123

Ghosts don't exist mate.... on 12:46 - Aug 25 by Bloots

"Anyways, as I finally got myself settled down I turned off the light, **fell asleep** and I swear I heard a voice...."

You didn't read the last part did ya?

I've always wondered why we don't see ghosts of animals or dinosaurs.

Poltergeists though....I think that's different.

So, listening to the Battersea Poltergeist on BBC Sounds on 13:07 - Aug 25 with 1938 viewsHerbivore

I ain't afraid of no ghosts (because they don't exist).

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

So, listening to the Battersea Poltergeist on BBC Sounds on 13:10 - Aug 25 with 1926 viewshomer_123

So, listening to the Battersea Poltergeist on BBC Sounds on 13:07 - Aug 25 by Herbivore

I ain't afraid of no ghosts (because they don't exist).

You are always so black and white Herbs.

So, listening to the Battersea Poltergeist on BBC Sounds on 13:12 - Aug 25 with 1922 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

I regularly saw a shadowy figure walk past my glass front door when I lived next to Ridgewell Airfield. Scared us so much the first time that my father ran outside with a shotgun to speak to whomever was there.

Starting to see the same figure at the back of the house too, looking at the sky over the fields.
So, listening to the Battersea Poltergeist on BBC Sounds on 13:14 - Aug 25 with 1918 viewsHerbivore

So, listening to the Battersea Poltergeist on BBC Sounds on 13:10 - Aug 25 by homer_123

You are always so black and white Herbs.

Surely ghosts either exist or they don't? You can't sort of exist.

So, listening to the Battersea Poltergeist on BBC Sounds on 13:18 - Aug 25 with 1910 viewsFBI

In another part of my life I'm a 17th century/English Civil War reenactor and used to work at a local, now defunct, Civil War heritage centre.

We did (spurious) ghost walks round town at Halloween and would take punters back to the centre for a glass of mead and a chance for them to tell their own stories.

One night I couldn't be bothered getting changed and decided to walk home in kit - all black: bucket-top boots, breeches, jacket, broad-brimmed hat and full-length cloak, topped off with a sword. Think Vincent Price as the Witchfinder General. Feeling a bit daft, I opted for the path down the commons to my back door rather than up through town on a Friday at 10:30pm. On the way down I encountered a dog walker coming uphill towards me so, remembering I was in 'work clothes' and trying to make a good impression, I stepped off the path to let him past. He hurried past, averting his eyes and I thought to myself what a miserable git he was to not even say thank you.

The next week we did another ghost walk and went back for mead. One chap says, "I've got one: last week my brother in law saw the ghost of a Cavalier out on the Commons, all in black..."

The following year the story appeared in a local feller's "Devon Ghosts" book. :-D

Poll: The career progress of former town players is...

So, listening to the Battersea Poltergeist on BBC Sounds on 13:24 - Aug 25 with 1878 viewsDanTheMan

I once spooked my partner a bit when I woke up from a dream and my brain had not properly engaged yet.

Sat up a bit and saw a woman on the bed with a laptop sitting over her, and literally said "there's a girl on a laptop sitting over you" and she started got a little freaked out. Then I realised what I said and just about pieced together that my mind was still somewhat dreaming (or something like that) and start putting my hand through the "ghost" just to see what would happen. It didn't really do anything. Went straight back to sleep, leaving my partner very confused.

I imagine if I was a believer that would have been tremendously convincing as it did seem very real at the time.

Alas, ghost woman with laptop has never appeared again.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Login to get fewer ads

Ghosts don't exist mate.... on 13:27 - Aug 25 with 1855 viewsusm

Imagine the chicken ghosts. You wouldnt be able to get out of your front door.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Ghosts don't exist mate.... on 13:29 - Aug 25 with 1842 viewsusm

Ghosts don't exist mate.... on 13:27 - Aug 25 by usm

Imagine the chicken ghosts. You wouldnt be able to get out of your front door.

And forget about trying to cross the road....

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Ghosts don't exist mate.... on 13:34 - Aug 25 with 1834 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Not sure about 'ghosts' in that context. As you say, you would be able to go into a country park anywhere in the country without bumping into roundheads. Ghosts in that context, that 'show their selves' to living people don't exist

But thats not to say there isn't something going on, somehow.

Years ago I used to help run 'Ghosthunts' all over the country, places like Dudley and Warwick Castles, The Commandery in Saffron Walden, Margam Castle in Wales and the list goes on and on.

I always did it with a high level of skepticism, and most 'noises' when investigated, could be tracked down to the guests, normally where blokes who had been dragged along were trying to scare the sh*t out of their wives or girlfriends, but there are the odd few incidences that couldn't be explained and I still can't explain now either.

One was in Oxford Castle/Gaol. The gaol section is in one building of about 50 meters long on two floors with a flight of stairs at both ends and only one entrance and exit.

After we went in, the entrance was locked behind us as the gaol is in the city centre and you do get the odd drunk coming in, which scares the sh*t out of the punters, but isn't great for the whole experience. The entire group, (about 15 people) were sat downstairs in two cells with two staff members at each door and me in the corridor running along the cells. The reason we always used to sit staff members in the door is to control punters movement as, like I said some are prone to wandering off to try and scare the sh*t out of partners.

After 20-25 mins of the guests doing the whole 'is there anyone there', BS, I heard above me what I initially thought was footsteps, quite faint, but definitely there, as I listened more and more people reported hearing the same, everyone saying it was above them.

After about 30 seconds or so of clear sounds like footsteps, the sound changed to the sound of stone dragging across stone, it was likened to a paving slab being dragged across a path, again from directly above us. At this point, I asked one group to head one way and up the stairs and the other group to go the other way and up the other stairs.

Both groups met in the middle of the upper floor, having encountered no one and the doors to the exit were locked, (with the still keys in my pocket).

The second happened at somewhere called Woodchester Mansion, which is down this way. And happened during a break at about 3am, or around there. Woodchester is an incomplete mansion, effectively a ruin, I was walking down a long corridor, with a pretty large and powerful torch, headed out for a cigarette, back in the days that I smoked.

As I was heading down the corridor, it was very clear in the torch light that there was no one ahead of me or in the corridor, I was maybe halfway down and I spotted a stone in my torchlight that had been thrown in my direction. It passed through the torchlight, grazed my right ear and landed 5 or 6 feet behind me.

Like I say, I'm not saying 'Ghosts' exist, but equally, I've seen and heard things I simply cannot explain, no matter how rationally I examine it.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

So, listening to the Battersea Poltergeist on BBC Sounds on 13:38 - Aug 25 with 1828 viewsCheltenham_Blue

So, listening to the Battersea Poltergeist on BBC Sounds on 13:24 - Aug 25 by DanTheMan

I once spooked my partner a bit when I woke up from a dream and my brain had not properly engaged yet.

Sat up a bit and saw a woman on the bed with a laptop sitting over her, and literally said "there's a girl on a laptop sitting over you" and she started got a little freaked out. Then I realised what I said and just about pieced together that my mind was still somewhat dreaming (or something like that) and start putting my hand through the "ghost" just to see what would happen. It didn't really do anything. Went straight back to sleep, leaving my partner very confused.

I imagine if I was a believer that would have been tremendously convincing as it did seem very real at the time.

Alas, ghost woman with laptop has never appeared again.

Its a good job the girl you were dreaming of was only on a laptop. And you weren't having sex with her. Would have taken some explaining.

It must be a coincidence that.... on 13:55 - Aug 25 with 1787 viewsBloots

Ghosts don't exist mate.... on 13:34 - Aug 25 by Cheltenham_Blue

Not sure about 'ghosts' in that context. As you say, you would be able to go into a country park anywhere in the country without bumping into roundheads. Ghosts in that context, that 'show their selves' to living people don't exist

But thats not to say there isn't something going on, somehow.

Years ago I used to help run 'Ghosthunts' all over the country, places like Dudley and Warwick Castles, The Commandery in Saffron Walden, Margam Castle in Wales and the list goes on and on.

I always did it with a high level of skepticism, and most 'noises' when investigated, could be tracked down to the guests, normally where blokes who had been dragged along were trying to scare the sh*t out of their wives or girlfriends, but there are the odd few incidences that couldn't be explained and I still can't explain now either.

One was in Oxford Castle/Gaol. The gaol section is in one building of about 50 meters long on two floors with a flight of stairs at both ends and only one entrance and exit.

After we went in, the entrance was locked behind us as the gaol is in the city centre and you do get the odd drunk coming in, which scares the sh*t out of the punters, but isn't great for the whole experience. The entire group, (about 15 people) were sat downstairs in two cells with two staff members at each door and me in the corridor running along the cells. The reason we always used to sit staff members in the door is to control punters movement as, like I said some are prone to wandering off to try and scare the sh*t out of partners.

After 20-25 mins of the guests doing the whole 'is there anyone there', BS, I heard above me what I initially thought was footsteps, quite faint, but definitely there, as I listened more and more people reported hearing the same, everyone saying it was above them.

After about 30 seconds or so of clear sounds like footsteps, the sound changed to the sound of stone dragging across stone, it was likened to a paving slab being dragged across a path, again from directly above us. At this point, I asked one group to head one way and up the stairs and the other group to go the other way and up the other stairs.

Both groups met in the middle of the upper floor, having encountered no one and the doors to the exit were locked, (with the still keys in my pocket).

The second happened at somewhere called Woodchester Mansion, which is down this way. And happened during a break at about 3am, or around there. Woodchester is an incomplete mansion, effectively a ruin, I was walking down a long corridor, with a pretty large and powerful torch, headed out for a cigarette, back in the days that I smoked.

As I was heading down the corridor, it was very clear in the torch light that there was no one ahead of me or in the corridor, I was maybe halfway down and I spotted a stone in my torchlight that had been thrown in my direction. It passed through the torchlight, grazed my right ear and landed 5 or 6 feet behind me.

Like I say, I'm not saying 'Ghosts' exist, but equally, I've seen and heard things I simply cannot explain, no matter how rationally I examine it.

...the vast majority of these sightings (and I'm not talking about yours specifically) seem to occur at particularly "spooky" venues, like old castles, old stately homes, spooky woods or old gaols in your case.

They also seem to often happen late at night.

It's almost as if the environment dictates these situations.

They never seem to occur at lunchtime in the freezer aisle of the local Tesco.

It must be a coincidence that.... on 14:17 - Aug 25 with 1741 viewsCheltenham_Blue

It must be a coincidence that.... on 13:55 - Aug 25 by Bloots

...the vast majority of these sightings (and I'm not talking about yours specifically) seem to occur at particularly "spooky" venues, like old castles, old stately homes, spooky woods or old gaols in your case.

They also seem to often happen late at night.

It's almost as if the environment dictates these situations.

They never seem to occur at lunchtime in the freezer aisle of the local Tesco.

"They never seem to occur at lunchtime in the freezer aisle of the local Tesco."

How do you know they don't? If there were disembodied footsteps in the ready meals isle at 11 o'clock on a Tuesday morning, how would you know they were ghostly or not.

I've no bother people been unsure about this stuff, one of my jobs was to catch out 'mediums' that were faking activity, and I caught a bunch. All I've saying is there are things I simply can't explain no matter how hard I try.

Theres anecdotal evidence that things like this may be 'self projected' but there's certainly, from my experience other things going on.

Oh, and for a Ghost Hunting company, I'm not sure how - "Ghost Hunt at Copdock Tesco from 10am to 2pm", would sell against a 'spooky' location. Maybe thats why.

So, listening to the Battersea Poltergeist on BBC Sounds on 14:29 - Aug 25 with 1707 viewsFtnfwest

Took the family on a farm cottage holiday about 15 years ago in North Yorkshire. We were tidying up on the last day and i was clearing the living/kitchen area. There was a leaflet holder wedged tight with the usual local attraction information and on the floor there was a bright yellow leaflet which i wedged into the holder as part of the clear up. Wiped up in the kitchen, decided to vacuum the living area, picked up the yellow leaflet that was on the floor and wedged it into the holder, hoovered, did some washing up, walked back back through the lounge, picked up the yellow leaflet, wedged it in the rack. Suddenly thought 'hang on....' I remember the leaflet was for a former WW2 prison camp site which was a few miles away ad had been turned into an attraction with some WW2 hardware there etc. We'd decided previously it was one place we wouldn't quite have time for - maybe we should have!
So, listening to the Battersea Poltergeist on BBC Sounds on 14:36 - Aug 25 with 1680 viewshomer_123

So, listening to the Battersea Poltergeist on BBC Sounds on 13:14 - Aug 25 by Herbivore

Surely ghosts either exist or they don't? You can't sort of exist.

Maybe that's what ghosts are....souls that are inbetween - a person that 'sort of exists' maybe on a different plane of existence....

By the by - not saying I believe....

Ghosts don't exist mate.... on 14:48 - Aug 25 with 1663 viewsNthQldITFC

Don't be silly. 'Bump into' a ghost is one thing you can't do.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Each to their own I guess..... on 15:04 - Aug 25 with 1649 viewsBloots

It must be a coincidence that.... on 14:17 - Aug 25 by Cheltenham_Blue

"They never seem to occur at lunchtime in the freezer aisle of the local Tesco."

How do you know they don't? If there were disembodied footsteps in the ready meals isle at 11 o'clock on a Tuesday morning, how would you know they were ghostly or not.

I've no bother people been unsure about this stuff, one of my jobs was to catch out 'mediums' that were faking activity, and I caught a bunch. All I've saying is there are things I simply can't explain no matter how hard I try.

Theres anecdotal evidence that things like this may be 'self projected' but there's certainly, from my experience other things going on.

Oh, and for a Ghost Hunting company, I'm not sure how - "Ghost Hunt at Copdock Tesco from 10am to 2pm", would sell against a 'spooky' location. Maybe thats why.

...frankly I won't believe it unless I see a Tudor nobleman wandering through my house with his head under his arm.

Or a headless horseman galloping down the A12.

That's what I call a ghost.

So, listening to the Battersea Poltergeist on BBC Sounds on 15:09 - Aug 25 with 1639 viewsHerbivore

So, listening to the Battersea Poltergeist on BBC Sounds on 14:36 - Aug 25 by homer_123

Maybe that's what ghosts are....souls that are inbetween - a person that 'sort of exists' maybe on a different plane of existence....

By the by - not saying I believe....

Nah.

Each to their own I guess..... on 15:23 - Aug 25 with 1611 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Each to their own I guess..... on 15:04 - Aug 25 by Bloots

...frankly I won't believe it unless I see a Tudor nobleman wandering through my house with his head under his arm.

Or a headless horseman galloping down the A12.

That's what I call a ghost.

Your house a known site of execution is it?
Have you even seen Poltergeist 2?

Ghosts don't exist mate.... on 15:25 - Aug 25 with 1610 viewsWeWereZombies

Ghosts don't exist mate.... on 14:48 - Aug 25 by NthQldITFC

Don't be silly. 'Bump into' a ghost is one thing you can't do.

What if you are just passing through...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

So, listening to the Battersea Poltergeist on BBC Sounds on 15:36 - Aug 25 with 1601 viewsFenland_Blue

Never had a ghostly experience, but genuinely saw a Ufo in 2005 in broad daylight.

It was a shiny silver disc, silently sitting high in the sky, then it started to fall quickly towards the ground (in a motion like a spinning coin when you flip it) I turned away as I was playing cricket. Waiting for the load noise of it hitting the ground, I looked again but in the matter of a few seconds, it has completely disappeared from view, it was a late cloudless summers sky.

Still have no idea why didn't I say/shout anything to anybody, opened my mind though about the world being a very strange place.

Up and mainly down, following Town since 88

So, listening to the Battersea Poltergeist on BBC Sounds on 15:54 - Aug 25 with 1573 viewsHerbivore

So, listening to the Battersea Poltergeist on BBC Sounds on 15:36 - Aug 25 by Fenland_Blue

Never had a ghostly experience, but genuinely saw a Ufo in 2005 in broad daylight.

It was a shiny silver disc, silently sitting high in the sky, then it started to fall quickly towards the ground (in a motion like a spinning coin when you flip it) I turned away as I was playing cricket. Waiting for the load noise of it hitting the ground, I looked again but in the matter of a few seconds, it has completely disappeared from view, it was a late cloudless summers sky.

Still have no idea why didn't I say/shout anything to anybody, opened my mind though about the world being a very strange place.

This is what is known as 'the toss', it's common at the start of a game of cricket.

No I haven't, but.... on 15:59 - Aug 25 with 1569 viewsBloots

Each to their own I guess..... on 15:23 - Aug 25 by Cheltenham_Blue

Your house a known site of execution is it?
Have you even seen Poltergeist 2?

...I have seen a Simpsons episode where they found out the house was on the site of an "Indian" burial ground.

I've also seen Beetlejuice and loads of Scooby Doo episodes.

I'm still not convinced.

No I haven't, but.... on 16:02 - Aug 25 with 1560 viewsCheltenham_Blue

No I haven't, but.... on 15:59 - Aug 25 by Bloots

...I have seen a Simpsons episode where they found out the house was on the site of an "Indian" burial ground.

I've also seen Beetlejuice and loads of Scooby Doo episodes.

I'm still not convinced.

Scooby Doo is all faked.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024