Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Last Season Paul Cook said... 23:17 - Aug 26 with 1279 viewsOriginalMarkyP

... that the injured players get better and better (in people's imagination) the longer they are out.

This certainly seems to be happening with Edmundson.

Let's be honest. None of us, or very few of us have really seen him play. We don't really know that much about him in terms of first hand experience of his ability.

But so often it gets said that when he's fit, he's going to be the difference, the defense will settle, we'll be like a steel trap at the back and stop conceding the kind of daft goals that so typically seem to hurt us.

I just hope he is. But we have no strong evidence to speak of that says he will be.

It reminds me of Hladky. People were saying that he might be our most important signing before a ball was kicked in anger. Now as August draws to a close some are already writing him off and saying we need a replacement.

God. I hope we win on Saturday.

[Post edited 26 Aug 2021 23:19]

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

Last Season Paul Cook said... on 05:36 - Aug 27 with 1057 viewsstiff_talking

Rangers fans refer to him as a man mountain and we’re sad to see him go
He had fallen out Gerard over a COVID breach and things between them were so bad he couldn’t wait to get out. I think his departure from Rangers had little to do with football and we beat many other clubs to his signature.
Last Season Paul Cook said... on 07:27 - Aug 27 with 937 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Last Season Paul Cook said... on 05:36 - Aug 27 by stiff_talking

He had fallen out Gerard over a COVID breach and things between them were so bad he couldn’t wait to get out. I think his departure from Rangers had little to do with football and we beat many other clubs to his signature.

But have you seen him play?

Last Season Paul Cook said... on 07:28 - Aug 27 with 941 viewssaffers12

Last Season Paul Cook said... on 07:27 - Aug 27 by OriginalMarkyP

But have you seen him play?

I know not hardly a proper scout but many of my students are Oldham fans and rave about him and have said h will be good for us
Last Season Paul Cook said... on 07:44 - Aug 27 with 903 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Last Season Paul Cook said... on 07:28 - Aug 27 by saffers12

I know not hardly a proper scout but many of my students are Oldham fans and rave about him and have said h will be good for us

That's good to know.

And btw I'm not knocking him. I just think we have a tendency to mythologize some signings before they kick a ball because we so desperately want (and need) them to succeed. This level of expectation often leads to disappointment and scares the horses so people become angry and frustrated when the man doesn't match the legend in our eyes.

Hladky for instance may go on to reach Bart levels of performance but because everyone built him up to be this unbeatable keeper, 10 times better than Holy etc... people question his ability after an admittedly shakey start.
[Post edited 27 Aug 2021 7:46]

Last Season Paul Cook said... on 08:46 - Aug 27 with 730 viewsSaigonTractor

Salford fans were sad to see Hladky go. Not an indication of anything.

I think both players will come good, but none of us really know how Edmunson will do.
[Post edited 27 Aug 2021 8:47]
Last Season Paul Cook said... on 08:57 - Aug 27 with 704 viewshomer_123

Last Season Paul Cook said... on 07:44 - Aug 27 by OriginalMarkyP

That's good to know.

And btw I'm not knocking him. I just think we have a tendency to mythologize some signings before they kick a ball because we so desperately want (and need) them to succeed. This level of expectation often leads to disappointment and scares the horses so people become angry and frustrated when the man doesn't match the legend in our eyes.

Hladky for instance may go on to reach Bart levels of performance but because everyone built him up to be this unbeatable keeper, 10 times better than Holy etc... people question his ability after an admittedly shakey start.
[Post edited 27 Aug 2021 7:46]

'...people question his ability after an admittedly shakey start.'

I think that is why there has been some discussion about his ability - it's nothing to do with him being 'built-up'. It's more he's not had a great start. I don't think it is anymore complicated and detailed than that.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Last Season Paul Cook said... on 09:10 - Aug 27 with 655 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Which of his 8 league appearances across 2 years helped them form that opinion?

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Last Season Paul Cook said... on 09:41 - Aug 27 with 585 viewsGuthrum

I'll be happier once Nsiala is back to fitness. At least we know he can deliver in terms of goal-prevention*.

* A couple of penalties given away two seasons ago does not negate the very many times he's blocked goal-bound shots.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

Last Season Paul Cook said... on 09:43 - Aug 27 with 581 viewsGarv

Think it's probably because he isn't LW and because he's a new signing and generally speaking our signings have been good (on paper at the very least) so the expectancy is that he'll be an upgrade.

Against Morecambe I felt it was telling that, in my opinion at least, LW and KVY were our two weak links when in the previous season or two they would have been considered two of our best.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Last Season Paul Cook said... on 09:43 - Aug 27 with 580 viewshype313

Last Season Paul Cook said... on 09:41 - Aug 27 by Guthrum

I'll be happier once Nsiala is back to fitness. At least we know he can deliver in terms of goal-prevention*.

* A couple of penalties given away two seasons ago does not negate the very many times he's blocked goal-bound shots.

And to add, last season issues weren't defensive per se, it was our atrocious approach going forward which cost us.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Last Season Paul Cook said... on 09:57 - Aug 27 with 508 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Jon Nolan must be the second coming at this point if people get better the longer they are out.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Last Season Paul Cook said... on 10:02 - Aug 27 with 491 viewsWD19

Whereas Norwood just gets fatter and fatter......
Last Season Paul Cook said... on 10:03 - Aug 27 with 488 viewsEly_Blue

Last Season Paul Cook said... on 08:46 - Aug 27 by SaigonTractor

Salford fans were sad to see Hladky go. Not an indication of anything.

I think both players will come good, but none of us really know how Edmunson will do.
[Post edited 27 Aug 2021 8:47]

Slight difference between league 2 Salford and SPL champions Rangers though!

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024