Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
ITFC in the relegation zone 17:05 - Aug 28 with 1559 viewsMullet

By a point, not just our atrocious goal difference, but our inability to see a game out.

This isn't rock'n'roll football is it? It's Leonard Cohen football. Whatever these improvements people see and point to, ultimately people were heading into extra time hoping we hold on to Wimbledon at home with their talismanic striker now playing for us.

Just to get a win. And a win would have been massive. Instead it's another exposé on the deficiencies in one of the most expensive squads in the league. These 100% runs that are going to see us go up need to start now really don't they?

Winless without playing a serious promotion rival after 5 games. This sequence of form can't happen again at any point this season if we are going to do anything but make up the numbers again.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

ITFC in the relegation zone on 17:18 - Aug 28 with 1476 viewsIllinoisblue

Indeed. Cook and his merry band of scousers have dug a very big hole. And I’m in no way convinced they have the ability to get out of it.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

ITFC in the relegation zone on 17:53 - Aug 28 with 1407 viewsMoriarty

Certainly a new goalkeeper is essential. And a manager who can set us up right.

The squad should be faring far better and the lack of bite and nous are on the manager.

I had the pleasure of turning 50 this year and the sadness of losing my best ITFC mate to illness. I’m all but resigned to never seeing us in the top flight again - even if I’m not taken off too early in the second half.

I’ve reached the point of believing that the only way our fortunes will change this season is if we give Cook and his crew the bullet and give it to Dyer.

Sheepy said we have a beating heart again. Looking at that today, we don’t. Light the fire. Go Dyer.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2021 17:53]

fka omuircheartaigh

ITFC in the relegation zone on 18:05 - Aug 28 with 1341 viewsRobTheMonk

Since Cook has come in we've beat Swindon, Fleetwood, Bristol Rovers, possibly Plymouth (?) and Dartford in a pre season friendly. It's an awful record regardless of the team inherited. Bristol and Swindon both relegated and Dartford is just a fitness game.

Not a single win in 5 games in League 1 this season...

He's not doing himself any favours.
ITFC in the relegation zone on 19:47 - Aug 28 with 1284 viewsMullet

ITFC in the relegation zone on 17:18 - Aug 28 by Illinoisblue

Indeed. Cook and his merry band of scousers have dug a very big hole. And I’m in no way convinced they have the ability to get out of it.

The easy out is Leam Richardson, but that doesn't really tell the story does it? Plenty see this as a clean slate, and a win today knits us together a bit. However, we are now seeing that only the most deluded are going to cling to this "time to gel" sh1te.

It's time to earn your corn, and you have to wonder how united the camp will remain with so much competition in certain areas and so little to show for it over the whole pitch. We've not seen the same line up which is fair enough, but we've not seen Cook try to build many partnerships beyond Evans and Harper and that is as much about ability as it is availability.

ITFC in the relegation zone on 19:50 - Aug 28 with 1267 viewsMullet

ITFC in the relegation zone on 17:53 - Aug 28 by Moriarty

The squad should be faring far better and the lack of bite and nous are on the manager.

I had the pleasure of turning 50 this year and the sadness of losing my best ITFC mate to illness. I’m all but resigned to never seeing us in the top flight again - even if I’m not taken off too early in the second half.

I’ve reached the point of believing that the only way our fortunes will change this season is if we give Cook and his crew the bullet and give it to Dyer.

Sheepy said we have a beating heart again. Looking at that today, we don’t. Light the fire. Go Dyer.

Sorry about your loss. I have faith we will be back in the top flight in the next 5-10 years so hopefully as many of us as possible see it!

It will be really interesting to see if Cook makes it to Xmas. If he does, he will finish the season. But given the dunderheads who denied he was Evans' appointment are probably a little less aggressive and cocksure of their non-facts this week, the tide may turn on him soon if we are bobbing about by then anyway.

Tonight certainly feels like rock bottom again.

ITFC in the relegation zone on 21:16 - Aug 28 with 1136 viewsMoriarty

ITFC in the relegation zone on 19:50 - Aug 28 by Mullet

Sorry about your loss. I have faith we will be back in the top flight in the next 5-10 years so hopefully as many of us as possible see it!

It will be really interesting to see if Cook makes it to Xmas. If he does, he will finish the season. But given the dunderheads who denied he was Evans' appointment are probably a little less aggressive and cocksure of their non-facts this week, the tide may turn on him soon if we are bobbing about by then anyway.

Tonight certainly feels like rock bottom again.

Thanks Mullet.

I could of course be wrong but I think by trying to inflict his playing style and tactic on us, he’s strangling some of the life out of us.

I think going 442 might be his best chance. But I accept he’ll likely not do that.

I fully agree with you as to who appointed him and my guess is PC has one foot in the departure lounge. If the two feet go in, I’ll be praying for Dyer.

Tonight is indeed a very low ebb.

fka omuircheartaigh

ITFC in the relegation zone on 21:56 - Aug 28 with 1050 viewsKeaneish

Agreed.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

ITFC in the relegation zone on 22:15 - Aug 28 with 965 views3_5_2

ITFC in the relegation zone on 17:53 - Aug 28 by Moriarty

Dyer? Who has done what? A few games as u18/23 coach. His time may come but sentiment is not what’s required here.

Cook has time but much more of this and it is shortening by the game

He is missing his assistant, his mates on the coaching staff are not up to it on their own

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Login to get fewer ads

ITFC in the relegation zone on 22:22 - Aug 28 with 933 viewsVic

ITFC in the relegation zone on 21:16 - Aug 28 by Moriarty

Thanks Mullet.

I could of course be wrong but I think by trying to inflict his playing style and tactic on us, he’s strangling some of the life out of us.

I think going 442 might be his best chance. But I accept he’ll likely not do that.

I fully agree with you as to who appointed him and my guess is PC has one foot in the departure lounge. If the two feet go in, I’ll be praying for Dyer.

Tonight is indeed a very low ebb.

When you say that he is inflicting playing style and tactics on us it implies the players cannot play that way. That may have been the case last year, but there is no excuse now as they are all his, brought in to play this system. If he is unable to get them to do it then the blame is all on him.

I really, really want it to work -not because I like Cook, but because I want town to be a success sooner rather than later. But time is beginning to run out for him. In my book he has no more than 3 matches to get us purring.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

ITFC in the relegation zone on 22:27 - Aug 28 with 906 viewswkj

If Cook is the answer, our points tally needs to reflect it. It really needed to be the case at least 2 weeks ago. I know there is a lot of football to play - but even 5 games in I would expect to see improvements on Paul Lambert.

So far, I can't honestly see how Paul Cook is any better for us than Lambert was.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

ITFC in the relegation zone on 22:36 - Aug 28 with 869 viewspointofblue

ITFC in the relegation zone on 22:27 - Aug 28 by wkj

If Cook is the answer, our points tally needs to reflect it. It really needed to be the case at least 2 weeks ago. I know there is a lot of football to play - but even 5 games in I would expect to see improvements on Paul Lambert.

So far, I can't honestly see how Paul Cook is any better for us than Lambert was.

Lambert's worst five game run at League One level for us was three points from five games - same as Cook today. Both of these runs took place in 19/20, not even last season.

Lambert needed to go but... I can't believe I'm wondering it but would have done a better job with this bunch of players? He couldn't have done much worse.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

ITFC in the relegation zone on 22:40 - Aug 28 with 843 viewswkj

ITFC in the relegation zone on 22:36 - Aug 28 by pointofblue

Lambert's worst five game run at League One level for us was three points from five games - same as Cook today. Both of these runs took place in 19/20, not even last season.

Lambert needed to go but... I can't believe I'm wondering it but would have done a better job with this bunch of players? He couldn't have done much worse.

Statistics aside - I honestly think that Cook's decisions today lost the 3 points. The game died when he made his subs - and it seems to consistently be the case that his subs decisions often reduce the danger we pose.

Crybaby

ITFC in the relegation zone on 22:41 - Aug 28 with 842 viewsHARRY10

It all smacks of penny pinching yet again,

We have received around £3m (?) in incoming transfer money, and cut the wage bill down by zillions, yet we have not really signed any players that speak of 'unlimited wealth'. The coaching staff smack more of being Cooks best mates than being the best around.

And why the delay in getting stuff fixed at the ground ? Is there some sort of shortage of funds ? If the work needs doing, then get it done. It does not become cheaper if we wait.

The thought was that with a whole week with the squad we would see an improvement v Wimbledon. We haven't. The five teams we have played so far are those we should be looking (expecting) to win against if we are talking about promotion. So far we have played one team out of the top 10, and lost. Sure, it is early days and a win or two here or there can see teams move quite a bit in the table.

But we are not winning one, or even two. We are getting into the habit of losing a lead, letting in 'sloppy' goals. Which speaks of 'sloppy' players. The players you need are those who are consistent. Not only week in, week out, but through the course of a game.

So it brings into question Cooks judgement in signing Hladky and Evans. The teams put out have been in the majority his players. How they are being coached is by his coaching staff.

I am sure we will pick up (gel), but I cannot say I am confident of a play off place - never mind promotion. And I fear the automatics already look to be Sunderland and Sheff Weds.
ITFC in the relegation zone on 22:46 - Aug 28 with 813 viewswkj

ITFC in the relegation zone on 22:41 - Aug 28 by HARRY10

It all smacks of penny pinching yet again,

We have received around £3m (?) in incoming transfer money, and cut the wage bill down by zillions, yet we have not really signed any players that speak of 'unlimited wealth'. The coaching staff smack more of being Cooks best mates than being the best around.

And why the delay in getting stuff fixed at the ground ? Is there some sort of shortage of funds ? If the work needs doing, then get it done. It does not become cheaper if we wait.

The thought was that with a whole week with the squad we would see an improvement v Wimbledon. We haven't. The five teams we have played so far are those we should be looking (expecting) to win against if we are talking about promotion. So far we have played one team out of the top 10, and lost. Sure, it is early days and a win or two here or there can see teams move quite a bit in the table.

But we are not winning one, or even two. We are getting into the habit of losing a lead, letting in 'sloppy' goals. Which speaks of 'sloppy' players. The players you need are those who are consistent. Not only week in, week out, but through the course of a game.

So it brings into question Cooks judgement in signing Hladky and Evans. The teams put out have been in the majority his players. How they are being coached is by his coaching staff.

I am sure we will pick up (gel), but I cannot say I am confident of a play off place - never mind promotion. And I fear the automatics already look to be Sunderland and Sheff Weds.

I don't think we can say penny-pinching. Year on year we lose a lot of money at ITFC - and gates are not enough on their own. I do think we have better players on a reduced overall salary.

The problems we're facing right now is very much a coaching and tactical problem.

We don't defend set pieces well (if at all in some goals)
We don't see out games (Games die after Cook makes his subs)

The only players I would question as being up to the task are Hladky and Aluko.

Cook has to be looking at his own staff and methods - as he has the tools, but it doesn't produce the product.

Crybaby

ITFC in the relegation zone on 23:05 - Aug 28 with 763 viewsMoriarty

ITFC in the relegation zone on 22:22 - Aug 28 by Vic

When you say that he is inflicting playing style and tactics on us it implies the players cannot play that way. That may have been the case last year, but there is no excuse now as they are all his, brought in to play this system. If he is unable to get them to do it then the blame is all on him.

I really, really want it to work -not because I like Cook, but because I want town to be a success sooner rather than later. But time is beginning to run out for him. In my book he has no more than 3 matches to get us purring.

Inflicting his style = it’s his 4231 and no deviation from that.

fka omuircheartaigh

ITFC in the relegation zone on 10:19 - Aug 29 with 527 viewsMullet

ITFC in the relegation zone on 22:46 - Aug 28 by wkj

I don't think we can say penny-pinching. Year on year we lose a lot of money at ITFC - and gates are not enough on their own. I do think we have better players on a reduced overall salary.

The problems we're facing right now is very much a coaching and tactical problem.

We don't defend set pieces well (if at all in some goals)
We don't see out games (Games die after Cook makes his subs)

The only players I would question as being up to the task are Hladky and Aluko.

Cook has to be looking at his own staff and methods - as he has the tools, but it doesn't produce the product.

The fact we are more like Arsenal or Derby atm is incredibly worrying. This is the first time in years we’ve had enough backing to blow away the rest of the league by and large. There’s only really 2-3 clubs spending what we are overall.

Typically it’s not them failing

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024