Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Celina? Really? 09:33 - Aug 30 with 2330 viewsVic

I was excited when this first rumored a few months ago, but I’m not so sure now. Looks a bit like a kid in a sweet shop signing - we’ll get h8m because we can, not because we need him. Not sure we really need him.

Personally I’d prefer to keep the present squad and discover the best ‘team’ with the view strengthening where we see we need to in January. Otherwise my fear is that this could be a very expensive squad that doesn’t work together.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Celina? Really? on 09:38 - Aug 30 with 2009 viewsRegencyBlue

Or possibly one or two of our injuries are more serious than has been admitted to so far?
Celina? Really? on 09:40 - Aug 30 with 1983 viewsjayessess

Yeah, I don't really get how this one works without pushing a new signing out of our squad list entirely?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Celina? Really? on 09:44 - Aug 30 with 1927 viewspointofblue

Celina starting with Edwards to replace him in about the 75th minute does sound attractive, with the latter shredding into tired defender’s legs, does sound attractive although I assume the former will have to get up to match pace which will surely take some time. Like so many of our players, Edwards is currently fading horribly in the second half of games.

Trying to work out in my mind what the plan is with the squad of 22 which I think Cook said he prefers...

First XI: Walton, Vincent-Young, Coulson, Edmundson, Burgess, Morsy, Evans, Burns, Fraser, Celina, Bonne
Second XI: Hladky, Donacien, Penney, Nsiala, Woolfenden, Harper, Carroll, Barry, Chaplin, Edwards, Pigott

Basically all of last years midfield and attacking players seem to have lost their places, which is not much of a surprise. I wonder if Chaplin might be out longer than has been let on, hence the signing of Aluko which feels more panicked by the day? And at this rate Barry is going to spend most of the time on the bench - is that what Villa intended by sending him here?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Celina? Really? on 09:52 - Aug 30 with 1875 viewsVic

Celina? Really? on 09:44 - Aug 30 by pointofblue

Celina starting with Edwards to replace him in about the 75th minute does sound attractive, with the latter shredding into tired defender’s legs, does sound attractive although I assume the former will have to get up to match pace which will surely take some time. Like so many of our players, Edwards is currently fading horribly in the second half of games.

Trying to work out in my mind what the plan is with the squad of 22 which I think Cook said he prefers...

First XI: Walton, Vincent-Young, Coulson, Edmundson, Burgess, Morsy, Evans, Burns, Fraser, Celina, Bonne
Second XI: Hladky, Donacien, Penney, Nsiala, Woolfenden, Harper, Carroll, Barry, Chaplin, Edwards, Pigott

Basically all of last years midfield and attacking players seem to have lost their places, which is not much of a surprise. I wonder if Chaplin might be out longer than has been let on, hence the signing of Aluko which feels more panicked by the day? And at this rate Barry is going to spend most of the time on the bench - is that what Villa intended by sending him here?

Edwards has been our best signing so far, IMO. Just needs to get his fitness up. No way would I see him as a sub.

Celina? Really? on 09:57 - Aug 30 with 1813 viewspointofblue

Celina? Really? on 09:52 - Aug 30 by Vic

Edwards has been our best signing so far, IMO. Just needs to get his fitness up. No way would I see him as a sub.

Celina will be a sub for a while; I can’t seem him being ready to start due to his Covid complications. Saying that, I assume he won’t be a cheap loan and I can see him replacing one of three players - Edwards to play wide left, Fraser to play at number ten or Vincent-Young to play wide right, with Burns switching to right back.

Celina? Really? on 10:17 - Aug 30 with 1721 viewsChurchman

Agree with this.

Wheeling in more bodies also torpedoes the argument that the team needs more time to gel and that he wanted a compact squad.

He should work with what he’s got and if somebody is brought in to fill a gap in Jan, fine. I’d also add that if Cook is kicked out before Christmas, it would be useful for his successor to have some budget/capacity to make changes.
Celina? Really? on 10:18 - Aug 30 with 1715 viewslegoman

Celina? Really? on 09:44 - Aug 30 by pointofblue

All of our players are subs until they earn their place and keep it!

Poll: Sheepshanks 5 years -v- Evans 5 points

Celina? Really? on 10:21 - Aug 30 with 1668 viewsGlasgowBlue

It reminds me of Jewell bringing back Jimmy Bullard after our 7-1 defeat at Peterborough tbh.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Login to get fewer ads

Celina? Really? on 10:22 - Aug 30 with 1647 viewspointofblue

Celina? Really? on 10:17 - Aug 30 by Churchman

Agree with this.

Wheeling in more bodies also torpedoes the argument that the team needs more time to gel and that he wanted a compact squad.

He should work with what he’s got and if somebody is brought in to fill a gap in Jan, fine. I’d also add that if Cook is kicked out before Christmas, it would be useful for his successor to have some budget/capacity to make changes.

We do need a goalkeeper and defensive midfielder so more signings are required. I guess we’re lacking a second number ten if Fraser is injured or has to cover elsewhere, which was an argument used for lack of cohesion against Burton and Cheltenham. As I said, maybe we have a long term injury that fans have not been made aware of (Chaplin?)

Celina? Really? on 10:24 - Aug 30 with 1622 viewsgtsb1966

Agree with this.

Let's be honest here, any manager worth his salt should be able to get a tune out of this squad in league one. There shouldn't be any need for additional players come January.
Celina? Really? on 10:27 - Aug 30 with 1590 viewsVic

Agree with this.

Absolutely this. I’ve got to admit that at the moment more and more of what and the way Cook is doing things begins to confirm my fears about him. I still hope I’m wrong, but he’s been building a squad of specifically identified players for specific roles. Apart from and DM we’ve pretty much got 2 decent enough players in each position, with several permutations possible.

His job as a coach is to get the best out of what he’s built. I just feel that for whatever reason he hasn’t done this last season and in the 6 games this season. This isn’t ‘Cook Out’ but I’m concerned that a pattern seems to be apprearing. His job is to coach players and get the best out of them - not to simply keep buying until the magic formula drops into his lap. He also said that he likes to work with a small, tight non it squad - hmmm ... he seems to be contradicting h8mself wit( this as well!

Celina? Really? on 10:35 - Aug 30 with 1515 viewsDanTheMan

Agreed, I don't see where he fits in. Undoubtedly more than good enough for this league though.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Celina? Really? on 10:36 - Aug 30 with 1497 viewschrismakin

The present squad only has 1 recognised no.10, Can't see the problem in bringing in Celina so that we have 2 to choose from.

But, also reading up on his illness, This looks more like a loan to put us in pole position to sign him perm next summer. Can't see him playing until Xmas time
[Post edited 30 Aug 2021 10:41]

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Celina? Really? on 10:44 - Aug 30 with 1422 viewschrismakin

Celina? Really? on 10:27 - Aug 30 by Vic

Absolutely this. I’ve got to admit that at the moment more and more of what and the way Cook is doing things begins to confirm my fears about him. I still hope I’m wrong, but he’s been building a squad of specifically identified players for specific roles. Apart from and DM we’ve pretty much got 2 decent enough players in each position, with several permutations possible.

His job as a coach is to get the best out of what he’s built. I just feel that for whatever reason he hasn’t done this last season and in the 6 games this season. This isn’t ‘Cook Out’ but I’m concerned that a pattern seems to be apprearing. His job is to coach players and get the best out of them - not to simply keep buying until the magic formula drops into his lap. He also said that he likes to work with a small, tight non it squad - hmmm ... he seems to be contradicting h8mself wit( this as well!

It's funny though. you see this alot on the forum where PC is supposed to coach players and try to better them

In the next thread you'll see how people don;t understand why Jackson is still in the squad etc.. maybe because he's being coached??

This tight squad stuff, the squad is still nowhere near as big as it was last year. And all first team squads want between 22-24 players. We've signed 16 so far.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Celina? Really? on 10:49 - Aug 30 with 1395 viewspointofblue

Celina? Really? on 10:27 - Aug 30 by Vic

Ok, let’s try this again in a different way...

GK: Walton, Hladky
RB: Vincent-Young, Donacien
LB: Coulson, Penny
CB: Edmundson, Nsiala
CB: Burgess, Woolfenden
CM: Morsy, Harper
CM: Evans, Carroll
RW: Burns, Barry
AM: Fraser, Celina
LW: Edwards, Chaplin
FW: Bonne, Pigott

If we don’t get Morsy, I expect us to bring in another central midfielder.

Missing from the above - Holy, Kenlock, Nolan, El Mizouni, Dobra, Aluko, Jackson and Norwood.

It’s not beyond the realms of possibility that Norwood has a long term injury problem. We also seem to have ongoing question marks over Burns, which is where Aluko comes in as additional cover. Chaplin has also disappeared since opening day with no sign of return. There seems to be suggestions that Cook likes Nolan but, again, he’s still coming back from injury. El Mizouni and Dobra will be loaned out whilst Kenlock and Holy could be sold or, at the very least, loaned out. I’m sure we’re desperate to get shot of Jackson but we seem light up top at the moment with Bonne, Chaplin and Norwood all injured.

TL;DR - I don’t think Celina’s signing necessarily burdens the squad as much as being presumed.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2021 10:53]

Celina? Really? on 10:54 - Aug 30 with 1369 viewsBLUEGOLD

Celina? Really? on 10:49 - Aug 30 by pointofblue

Missing from the above - Holy, Kenlock, Nolan, El Mizouni, Dobra, Aluko, Jackson and Norwood.

It’s not beyond the realms of possibility that Norwood has a long term injury problem. We also seem to have ongoing question marks over Burns, which is where Aluko comes in as additional cover. Chaplin has also disappeared since opening day with no sign of return. There seems to be suggestions that Cook likes Nolan but, again, he’s still coming back from injury. El Mizouni and Dobra will be loaned out whilst Kenlock and Holy could be sold or, at the very least, loaned out. I’m sure we’re desperate to get shot of Jackson but we seem light up top at the moment with Bonne, Chaplin and Norwood all injured.

TL;DR - I don’t think Celina’s signing necessarily burdens the squad as much as being presumed.

He won’t be training for weeks per Phil, so wont be playing much before Christmas
Celina? Really? on 10:56 - Aug 30 with 1350 viewsITFC_96

Celina? Really? on 10:49 - Aug 30 by pointofblue

He said it should be a tight knit squad and you've excluded 8 potentially first team players... and that's not even getting to any of the youngsters.
Celina? Really? on 10:57 - Aug 30 with 1347 viewspointofblue

Celina? Really? on 10:54 - Aug 30 by BLUEGOLD

He won’t be training for weeks per Phil, so wont be playing much before Christmas

If that is the case what’s the point of signing him? We may as well wait until January.

Celina? Really? on 11:00 - Aug 30 with 1307 viewschrismakin

Celina? Really? on 10:57 - Aug 30 by pointofblue

If that is the case what’s the point of signing him? We may as well wait until January.

To get in before other clubs do i'd imagine

Celina? Really? on 11:01 - Aug 30 with 1297 viewsitfcsuth

Scott Fraser has significantly underwhelmed me personally so far - early stages I know.

Celina walks into this side as a no.10 currently.
Celina? Really? on 11:02 - Aug 30 with 1298 viewsjas0999

We could end up with five loans which is madness. Will mean some of our permanent signings - our players - being pushed out. Two or three loans max. We already have that.
Celina? Really? on 11:03 - Aug 30 with 1284 viewspointofblue

Celina? Really? on 11:01 - Aug 30 by itfcsuth

Scott Fraser has significantly underwhelmed me personally so far - early stages I know.

Celina walks into this side as a no.10 currently.

I said on Saturday, Fraser is an enigma - he seems to do so much wrong yet has a decent chance creator return so far.

Celina? Really? on 11:10 - Aug 30 with 1251 viewspointofblue

Celina? Really? on 11:00 - Aug 30 by chrismakin

To get in before other clubs do i'd imagine

Smacks of desperation to me. If he can play before Christmas - even if it’s from the bench - then fine but if all we’re doing is spending time on getting a player who can’t contribute for three months... it’s unnecessary considering the other options we have.

Celina? Really? on 11:15 - Aug 30 with 1225 viewschrismakin

Celina? Really? on 11:10 - Aug 30 by pointofblue

Smacks of desperation to me. If he can play before Christmas - even if it’s from the bench - then fine but if all we’re doing is spending time on getting a player who can’t contribute for three months... it’s unnecessary considering the other options we have.

How is it desperation to sign a player who may not be able to play for a few months lol, if anything it shows even more that it has future thoughts in mind rather than desperation of now. If M/A has the time to sort it out, why not.

Desperation is signing Best in place of Murphy.

Celina? Really? on 11:17 - Aug 30 with 1211 viewspointofblue

Celina? Really? on 11:15 - Aug 30 by chrismakin

How is it desperation to sign a player who may not be able to play for a few months lol, if anything it shows even more that it has future thoughts in mind rather than desperation of now. If M/A has the time to sort it out, why not.

Desperation is signing Best in place of Murphy.

How is it desperation to sign a player who may not be able to play for a few months? I think you’ve answered your own question.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024