Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I went to a wedding at Glemham hall where the Cobbolds resided over the weekend 08:56 - Aug 31 with 2739 viewsdavblue

i didn't know the Town link until i got there. Unfortunately i didn't get to go in the house but it appeared to be very nice from the outside.

Where they very wealthy and decided not to put money into the club?
I went to a wedding at Glemham hall where the Cobbolds resided over the weekend on 09:01 - Aug 31 with 2298 viewsTheBlueGnu

I recall that they prefered to invest in the promotion of the actress Tessa Wyatt - who starred in Robins Nest with Richard O'Sullivan, Tony Britton, and David Kelly. Yes, the same David Kelly who was O'Reilly, the builder, in Fawlty Towers.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2021 9:05]

Poll: Other than "The Mean Machine", what was your favourite Wacky Races car ?

I went to a wedding at Glemham hall where the Cobbolds resided over the weekend on 09:09 - Aug 31 with 2219 viewsWeWereZombies

I was there the weekend before last for FolkEast, they never gave me an invite to the house either - so I'm not asking them to come and stay on my bothy on Skye...

I was slightly surprised that they were still doing the weddings whilst the festival was on but I guess if you have a money spinner or two then you keep them going as much as you can. I imagine that like most of the landed gentry the Cobbolds were hit by the high, but justified, taxation that the post war Attlee government levied on stately homes (which is why so many were given to The National Trust.) I imagine Rishi Sunak will be looking at similar targets to plug the Covid-19 hole in public finances, maybe Portman Road will end up being a National Trust property. Then you will be able to take your kids for a nose around somewhere football was played at the turn of the millennium...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

I went to a wedding at Glemham hall where the Cobbolds resided over the weekend on 09:13 - Aug 31 with 2183 viewscatch74

Grew up very close, so know it pretty well. Used to be able to walk around most of the house on open days. From memory it was pretty much like a museum and hadn’t changed for decades. Think they struggled with upkeep too at points. Think in a lot of these situations the money is tied up in the property - struggle is to pay death duties etc. Not sure they could have helped much financially with the club.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

I went to a wedding at Glemham hall where the Cobbolds resided over the weekend on 09:18 - Aug 31 with 2152 viewsBluespeed225

I went to a wedding at Glemham hall where the Cobbolds resided over the weekend on 09:01 - Aug 31 by TheBlueGnu

I recall that they prefered to invest in the promotion of the actress Tessa Wyatt - who starred in Robins Nest with Richard O'Sullivan, Tony Britton, and David Kelly. Yes, the same David Kelly who was O'Reilly, the builder, in Fawlty Towers.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2021 9:05]

Kelly was also the one armed washer up in Robins Nest!
I went to a wedding at Glemham hall where the Cobbolds resided over the weekend on 09:34 - Aug 31 with 2068 viewsbobbyramsey

Do the Cobbolds still reside there/own it?
I went to a wedding at Glemham hall where the Cobbolds resided over the weekend on 09:48 - Aug 31 with 2014 viewshype313

Presume we must have been at the same wedding! Was it Sunday?

Regarding the last owner, he mentioned that when he inherited it he got hit with a large amount of taxes which nearly ruined them, they managed to scrape through, but don't think there is huge money swimming around despite the building.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

I went to a wedding at Glemham hall where the Cobbolds resided over the weekend on 09:51 - Aug 31 with 1994 viewskiwiblue

Made the real money from farming and brewing. Tolly Cobbold one of three great suffolk real ales.miss them all.....
Brothers Patrick and?......? Loved town into late 80,s
[Post edited 31 Aug 2021 9:56]
I went to a wedding at Glemham hall where the Cobbolds resided over the weekend on 10:00 - Aug 31 with 1960 viewsRadlett_blue

The Cobbolds were comfortable & when Bobby Robson wanted a player, Mr John would say "how much do you need, old boy", before writing out a cheque.
However, they weren't super rich. I don't think they owned much of Tolly Cobbold & even after it was sold in 1977, Town had to live within their means. Whenever I drank Tolly bitter, I thought it was dreadful.
Wonder if the donkey still rams around Glemham Hall?

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Login to get fewer ads

I went to a wedding at Glemham hall where the Cobbolds resided over the weekend on 10:06 - Aug 31 with 1918 viewsdavblue

I went to a wedding at Glemham hall where the Cobbolds resided over the weekend on 09:48 - Aug 31 by hype313

Presume we must have been at the same wedding! Was it Sunday?

Regarding the last owner, he mentioned that when he inherited it he got hit with a large amount of taxes which nearly ruined them, they managed to scrape through, but don't think there is huge money swimming around despite the building.

Yeah it was!
I went to a wedding at Glemham hall where the Cobbolds resided over the weekend on 10:16 - Aug 31 with 1871 viewsMookamoo

I went to a wedding at Glemham hall where the Cobbolds resided over the weekend on 09:09 - Aug 31 by WeWereZombies

I was there the weekend before last for FolkEast, they never gave me an invite to the house either - so I'm not asking them to come and stay on my bothy on Skye...

I was slightly surprised that they were still doing the weddings whilst the festival was on but I guess if you have a money spinner or two then you keep them going as much as you can. I imagine that like most of the landed gentry the Cobbolds were hit by the high, but justified, taxation that the post war Attlee government levied on stately homes (which is why so many were given to The National Trust.) I imagine Rishi Sunak will be looking at similar targets to plug the Covid-19 hole in public finances, maybe Portman Road will end up being a National Trust property. Then you will be able to take your kids for a nose around somewhere football was played at the turn of the millennium...

Was at FolkEast too. They do normally do tours of the house, but Covid stopped that this year.

The church is worth a visit - that is where the Cobbolds are buried, plus the ridiculous mausoleum to Sir Dudley North - the family that owned it before the Cobbolds http://www.suffolkchurches.co.uk/lglemham.htm
I went to a wedding at Glemham hall where the Cobbolds resided over the weekend on 10:23 - Aug 31 with 1830 viewsMuncher

I went to a wedding at Glemham hall where the Cobbolds resided over the weekend on 09:34 - Aug 31 by bobbyramsey

Do the Cobbolds still reside there/own it?

Yes, I went there for lunch a couple of years ago with Philip Hope Cobbold and had a tour of the house. His son is/was the chef there but I assume will be running the house now.
I went to a wedding at Glemham hall where the Cobbolds resided over the weekend on 10:25 - Aug 31 with 1816 viewsFreddies_Ears

I went to a wedding at Glemham hall where the Cobbolds resided over the weekend on 10:16 - Aug 31 by Mookamoo

Was at FolkEast too. They do normally do tours of the house, but Covid stopped that this year.

The church is worth a visit - that is where the Cobbolds are buried, plus the ridiculous mausoleum to Sir Dudley North - the family that owned it before the Cobbolds http://www.suffolkchurches.co.uk/lglemham.htm

Philip Hope-Cobbold lived there until around 2017. Beautiful house but needs a few quid spending on it.
I went to a wedding at Glemham hall where the Cobbolds resided over the weekend on 10:39 - Aug 31 with 1766 viewsSixto6

I have worked there quite a bit over the last 10 years as a subcontractor and it’s a really interesting place (nearly as interesting as PH-C himself)

A few ITFC items around the house including a trophy from an Anglo Italian Cup match.

Quite often used by Vogue magazine for photo shoots - remember once having to stop work for 15 minutes while Peter Crouch’s wife Abby Clancy did an underwear shoot on the main staircase !
Tough times 😂
I went to a wedding at Glemham hall where the Cobbolds resided over the weekend on 10:40 - Aug 31 with 1761 viewsGuthrum

The cost of running a football club was beginning to ramp up in the late 1980s and "local worthy"-type owners such as the Cobbolds (plus celebrities like Elton John) were gradually being priced out of the sport.

They were well off, but not vastly wealthy to an Abramovich level, nor did they have sanctioned national monopolies like some of these Far Eastern businessmen.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I went to a wedding at Glemham hall where the Cobbolds resided over the weekend on 11:13 - Aug 31 with 1676 viewsWeWereZombies

I went to a wedding at Glemham hall where the Cobbolds resided over the weekend on 10:16 - Aug 31 by Mookamoo

I've been down to the church in previous years (remember hearing Mary Ann Kennedy singing there one year) but didn't make it down this time. We did get to the 'Garden Stage', which was a lovely setting, for 'Gardeners Cornered' (and I managed to get one of the coriander plants John Spiers was handing out - which I then donated to my sister in Needham Market so that it didn't perish from frost on Skye this winter) and 'The Electric Muse Revisited' so that I could hear Peter Knights regale us with tales of having accountants roll joints for him in a white Rolls-Royce laid on by Steeleye Span's Australian record company.

I thought Elephant Sessions had well and truly nailed it as best act of the weekend until we sat down at the Moot Hall on Sunday evening and got mesmerised by Catrin Finch and Seckou Keita, third or fourth time I have seen them and this time was the better still. The Young'uns were dependably good and daft also, The Hut People were an unexpected find. Plus, despite them coming from Norfolk, Jimmy Aldridge and Sid Greenstreet were fine too.

I went to a wedding at Glemham hall where the Cobbolds resided over the weekend on 13:50 - Aug 31 with 1522 viewsstonojnr

I went to a wedding at Glemham hall where the Cobbolds resided over the weekend on 10:00 - Aug 31 by Radlett_blue

The Cobbolds were comfortable & when Bobby Robson wanted a player, Mr John would say "how much do you need, old boy", before writing out a cheque.
However, they weren't super rich. I don't think they owned much of Tolly Cobbold & even after it was sold in 1977, Town had to live within their means. Whenever I drank Tolly bitter, I thought it was dreadful.
Wonder if the donkey still rams around Glemham Hall?

it was good beer at the Tap, it just as we liked to call it "never travelled well", which meant maybe the yeast strain theyd cultivated needed more care to keep the beer tasting well than many landlords were prepared to put in at the time, plus they struggled for a decent water source.

its a shame the brewery never made it through as a going concern to now as alot of those things can be fixed with modern brewing techniques.

but it was the pubs property that was the prize all the takeovers were after which sunk them.

I dont think the Cobbolds ever made a great deal of money from the brewery though, not enough to fund a football team even in the 80s
I went to a wedding at Glemham hall where the Cobbolds resided over the weekend on 13:56 - Aug 31 with 1489 viewsFreddies_Ears

I went to a wedding at Glemham hall where the Cobbolds resided over the weekend on 11:13 - Aug 31 by WeWereZombies

I've been down to the church in previous years (remember hearing Mary Ann Kennedy singing there one year) but didn't make it down this time. We did get to the 'Garden Stage', which was a lovely setting, for 'Gardeners Cornered' (and I managed to get one of the coriander plants John Spiers was handing out - which I then donated to my sister in Needham Market so that it didn't perish from frost on Skye this winter) and 'The Electric Muse Revisited' so that I could hear Peter Knights regale us with tales of having accountants roll joints for him in a white Rolls-Royce laid on by Steeleye Span's Australian record company.

I thought Elephant Sessions had well and truly nailed it as best act of the weekend until we sat down at the Moot Hall on Sunday evening and got mesmerised by Catrin Finch and Seckou Keita, third or fourth time I have seen them and this time was the better still. The Young'uns were dependably good and daft also, The Hut People were an unexpected find. Plus, despite them coming from Norfolk, Jimmy Aldridge and Sid Greenstreet were fine too.

The Hut People were a massive hit with me. My fave band of the festival was Hannah Moule & the Moulettes, though they were maybe a tad to proggy for some (they're opening the Summers End prog fest in a few weeks' time). Big shout out too to Kelly Bayfield, whose album is going to be absolutely delicious. Oh, and I am embarrassed never to have heard Harbour Lights before - fab local band.
I went to a wedding at Glemham hall where the Cobbolds resided over the weekend on 14:17 - Aug 31 with 1432 viewsWacko

I went to a wedding at Glemham hall where the Cobbolds resided over the weekend on 10:23 - Aug 31 by Muncher

Yes, I went there for lunch a couple of years ago with Philip Hope Cobbold and had a tour of the house. His son is/was the chef there but I assume will be running the house now.

Rumour has it it's about to be bought by a certain superstar Town fan...

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

I went to a wedding at Glemham hall where the Cobbolds resided over the weekend on 14:29 - Aug 31 with 1409 viewsMookamoo

I went to a wedding at Glemham hall where the Cobbolds resided over the weekend on 11:13 - Aug 31 by WeWereZombies

Thought Elephant Sessions were excellent. I did dance like loon to Afro Celt Soundsystem as well.

We were at the church for the Georgian folk which was good. I did like the way they set up at the foot of Lord Dudley which will have pished him off.
I went to a wedding at Glemham hall where the Cobbolds resided over the weekend on 15:00 - Aug 31 with 1326 viewsWeWereZombies

I went to a wedding at Glemham hall where the Cobbolds resided over the weekend on 14:29 - Aug 31 by Mookamoo

Thought Elephant Sessions were excellent. I did dance like loon to Afro Celt Soundsystem as well.

We were at the church for the Georgian folk which was good. I did like the way they set up at the foot of Lord Dudley which will have pished him off.

Thought the Afro Celts were way too loud, and we were standing a way back (to keep socially distanced - did the same for Elephant Sessions but that is because I get quite expansive dancing to them), have enjoyed them more and enjoyed them less on other occasions. Also I think that was when I had my pint of 'Paint The Town Red' from the Beccles brewery so wasn't going to risk spilling that. The other pints I had over the weekend were Earl Soham's Sir Roger's Porter (OK), GreenJack's Summer Dreams (decent) and Jackalope (good as ever) as well as samples of their stout and barley wine at the brewer's talk, St. Peter's Organic (maybe a bit better from the cask than from the bottle) and Ampersand's Pightle, which didn't blow me away.

[edit] On a much missed local brewery note I did see on the board in the Cobbold tent a beer from the Cliff Brewery but never got around to trying it. And during the GreenJack talk I found myself sitting nect to another Northgate old boy and we reminisced about schoolboy samplings of Cobnut.

We saw Stum Rebi at The Glen for their closing quarter of an hour and found them very good too. Should also single out The Shee and Daoiri Farrell for special mentions.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2021 15:12]

I went to a wedding at Glemham hall where the Cobbolds resided over the weekend on 15:08 - Aug 31 with 1289 viewshype313

I went to a wedding at Glemham hall where the Cobbolds resided over the weekend on 14:17 - Aug 31 by Wacko

Ed fest going to be happening?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

I went to a wedding at Glemham hall where the Cobbolds resided over the weekend on 15:23 - Aug 31 with 1239 viewsSharkey

I went to a wedding at Glemham hall where the Cobbolds resided over the weekend on 15:08 - Aug 31 by hype313

Ed fest going to be happening?

there is or was something called something like that at the White Horse, Edwardstone.
I went to a wedding at Glemham hall where the Cobbolds resided over the weekend on 15:27 - Aug 31 with 1221 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I went to a wedding at Glemham hall where the Cobbolds resided over the weekend on 14:17 - Aug 31 by Wacko

Rumour has it that the deal is already done.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

I went to a wedding at Glemham hall where the Cobbolds resided over the weekend on 15:34 - Aug 31 with 1202 viewsTangledupin_Blue

I went to a wedding at Glemham hall where the Cobbolds resided over the weekend on 09:09 - Aug 31 by WeWereZombies

Camasunary?

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

I went to a wedding at Glemham hall where the Cobbolds resided over the weekend on 15:36 - Aug 31 with 1198 viewsWeWereZombies

I went to a wedding at Glemham hall where the Cobbolds resided over the weekend on 15:34 - Aug 31 by Tangledupin_Blue

Camasunary?

I've had lunch there but the one I help to look after is Ollisdal.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024