Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Actors attempting East Anglian accents but rolling their Rs annoys me 19:17 - Aug 31 with 4193 viewsdominiciawful

I saw an old trailer for "Fighting With My Family" recently (featuring Narwich characters) and hearing them sound somewhat West Country-ish was very irritating. East Anglian accents sound búgger all like that.

Poll: Which manager of the Marcus Evans era do you dislike the most?

Actors attempting East Anglian accents but rolling their Rs annoys me on 19:24 - Aug 31 with 4142 viewsGuthrum

Very different (as an East Anglian longtime resident in the West). I wonder if it's the Anglian-Norse influence, from places which were in the Danelaw, rather than the Saxons of Wessex.

One of my delights from going to Town away games is hearing the accents.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Actors attempting East Anglian accents but rolling their Rs annoys me on 19:29 - Aug 31 with 4125 viewsghostofescobar

Some make the attempt to get it right (buh): https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/the-dig-sutton-hoo-movie-charlie-haylock-dialect-730

GhostOfEscobar

Actors attempting East Anglian accents but rolling their Rs annoys me on 19:35 - Aug 31 with 4113 viewsZXBlue

Actors attempting East Anglian accents but rolling their Rs annoys me on 19:29 - Aug 31 by ghostofescobar

Some make the attempt to get it right (buh): https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/the-dig-sutton-hoo-movie-charlie-haylock-dialect-730

Yep he got very close.

There are similarities with south west accents, but distinct nuances separate them.

Of course, most south west accents you hear are terrible generic farmer accents rather than anything you would hear in dorset or somerset anyway. Yes: I am looking at YOU "The Archers".
Actors attempting East Anglian accents but rolling their Rs annoys me on 19:36 - Aug 31 with 4111 viewsGeoffSentence

Actors attempting East Anglian accents but rolling their Rs annoys me on 19:29 - Aug 31 by ghostofescobar

Being born in Ipswich, Ralph Fiennes would have no excuse for getting it wrong.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Actors attempting East Anglian accents but rolling their Rs annoys me on 19:43 - Aug 31 with 4095 viewsBlueBadger

Fun fact :Charlie Haylock, (or as he's known to people from the West Suffolk folk scene, Gordon) was born in Essex..

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Actors attempting East Anglian accents but rolling their Rs annoys me on 19:53 - Aug 31 with 4074 viewsMattinLondon

Actors attempting East Anglian accents but rolling their Rs annoys me on 19:24 - Aug 31 by Guthrum

Very different (as an East Anglian longtime resident in the West). I wonder if it's the Anglian-Norse influence, from places which were in the Danelaw, rather than the Saxons of Wessex.

Unless it’s south London
Actors attempting East Anglian accents but rolling their Rs annoys me on 20:05 - Aug 31 with 4056 viewsfactual_blue

Actors attempting East Anglian accents but rolling their Rs annoys me on 19:43 - Aug 31 by BlueBadger

Fun fact :Charlie Haylock, (or as he's known to people from the West Suffolk folk scene, Gordon) was born in Essex..

Is he a bit flash then?

And is he Charlie Gordon, Gordon Haylock, Haylock Gordon, or Gordon Haylock-Charlie?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Actors attempting East Anglian accents but rolling their Rs annoys me on 13:32 - Sep 1 with 3956 viewsSharkey

In The Detectorists not a single actor had a north Essex accent. Toby Jones seemed to be doing Somerset or somewhere like that.
Login to get fewer ads

Actors attempting East Anglian accents but rolling their Rs annoys me on 17:12 - Sep 1 with 3881 viewsstonojnr

Actors attempting East Anglian accents but rolling their Rs annoys me on 19:36 - Aug 31 by GeoffSentence

absolutely, although the Ipswich Suffolk accent, Charlie Haylock explains the differences, is different to the rural Suffolk accent which Basil Brown had they were trying to go for.

but I dread to think what a remake of Akenfield would sound like if they made it today.
Actors attempting East Anglian accents but rolling their Rs annoys me on 17:16 - Sep 1 with 3852 viewshype313

Actors attempting East Anglian accents but rolling their Rs annoys me on 19:24 - Aug 31 by Guthrum

Not sure how true this is, but I heard many moons ago that the Australian accent derived from the Suffolk accent.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Actors attempting East Anglian accents but rolling their Rs annoys me on 19:37 - Sep 1 with 3777 viewsborge

Actors attempting East Anglian accents but rolling their Rs annoys me on 20:05 - Aug 31 by factual_blue

Is he a bit flash then?

And is he Charlie Gordon, Gordon Haylock, Haylock Gordon, or Gordon Haylock-Charlie?

Gordon Alecock. An apt surname for a former publican.
Actors attempting East Anglian accents but rolling their Rs annoys me on 19:38 - Sep 1 with 3776 viewsborge

Nothing in this world makes me more angry than Eric Catchpole in Lovejoy. Nothing.
Actors attempting East Anglian accents but rolling their Rs annoys me on 21:49 - Sep 1 with 3699 viewshochiblue

Actors attempting East Anglian accents but rolling their Rs annoys me on 19:36 - Aug 31 by GeoffSentence

And having lived with his family on a farm in Wangford, attending Reydon Secondary Modern. That’s a bit Suffolk!
Actors attempting East Anglian accents but rolling their Rs annoys me on 21:52 - Sep 1 with 3691 viewsghostofescobar

Actors attempting East Anglian accents but rolling their Rs annoys me on 17:12 - Sep 1 by stonojnr

absolutely, although the Ipswich Suffolk accent, Charlie Haylock explains the differences, is different to the rural Suffolk accent which Basil Brown had they were trying to go for.

but I dread to think what a remake of Akenfield would sound like if they made it today.

Ah, Akenfield. A truly unique film. An odd, but captivating time capsule. Must watch that again actually.

GhostOfEscobar

Actors attempting East Anglian accents but rolling their Rs annoys me on 10:24 - Sep 2 with 3528 viewsSharkey

The best Suffolk accent on tv was Graham Hitchins, Head of Infrastructure in 'Twenty Twelve'. The actor Karl Theobold grew up in Lowestoft and it showed. I don't know if he's used that accent in other parts he's played. I'd certainly got to see his Hamlet, not least to hear him say 'Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him..'
Actors attempting East Anglian accents but rolling their Rs annoys me on 11:26 - Sep 2 with 3480 viewsGogs

Actors attempting East Anglian accents but rolling their Rs annoys me on 17:16 - Sep 1 by hype313

Not sure how true this is, but I heard many moons ago that the Australian accent derived from the Suffolk accent.

I’ve heard that too. And when I spent a few months in Australia 20 years ago I got confused for a local a few times, I have an Ipswich accent. My mother said I’d picked up an Australian accent over there, so I think they are pretty similar. On the same trip I also got asked if I was French by someone at Australia v France friendly (in which Kevin muscat managed to get sent off) at the MCG, but I can only assume the bloke who asked was a dimwit.
Actors attempting East Anglian accents but rolling their Rs annoys me on 15:37 - Sep 2 with 3419 viewsEwan_Oozami

Actors attempting East Anglian accents but rolling their Rs annoys me on 21:52 - Sep 1 by ghostofescobar

Ah, Akenfield. A truly unique film. An odd, but captivating time capsule. Must watch that again actually.

I know Garrow Shand, he's a lovely bloke!

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Actors attempting East Anglian accents but rolling their Rs annoys me on 15:41 - Sep 2 with 3414 viewsSharkey

Actors attempting East Anglian accents but rolling their Rs annoys me on 11:26 - Sep 2 by Gogs

I’ve heard that too. And when I spent a few months in Australia 20 years ago I got confused for a local a few times, I have an Ipswich accent. My mother said I’d picked up an Australian accent over there, so I think they are pretty similar. On the same trip I also got asked if I was French by someone at Australia v France friendly (in which Kevin muscat managed to get sent off) at the MCG, but I can only assume the bloke who asked was a dimwit.

I went to a wedding where half the guests were from Mersea. One of the catering staff was Australian and she asked me how come so many of the guests were Australian.
Actors attempting East Anglian accents but rolling their Rs annoys me on 21:28 - Sep 2 with 3339 viewsBLUEBEAT

Actors attempting East Anglian accents but rolling their Rs annoys me on 17:16 - Sep 1 by hype313

Interesting.

Both times I’ve been to the USA, locals had assumed I was Australian!

Poll: W or W

Actors attempting East Anglian accents but rolling their Rs annoys me on 22:16 - Sep 2 with 3310 viewsLesta_Tractor

Actors attempting East Anglian accents but rolling their Rs annoys me on 21:28 - Sep 2 by BLUEBEAT

Interesting.

A lot of the jailers in the early penal colonies in Tasmania were from Norfolk and Suffolk, the jailers tended to live a bit longer so I guess the accent must have developed from there.

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

Actors attempting East Anglian accents but rolling their Rs annoys me on 05:39 - Sep 3 with 3234 viewsIPS_wich

Actors attempting East Anglian accents but rolling their Rs annoys me on 22:16 - Sep 2 by Lesta_Tractor

A lot of the jailers in the early penal colonies in Tasmania were from Norfolk and Suffolk, the jailers tended to live a bit longer so I guess the accent must have developed from there.

When I moved from Suffolk (Woodbridge) to university in Leeds in the mid-90s, I must have had 15-20 people in freshers week ask me if I was from university.

Now I live in Australia, having moved here at age 39 with a wife from the North East and two kids raised in Chelmsford - it's amazing how many people who meet us assume I'm Australian and have moved back here with my english family,
Actors attempting East Anglian accents but rolling their Rs annoys me on 09:33 - Sep 3 with 3146 viewsEdwardStone

Actors attempting East Anglian accents but rolling their Rs annoys me on 19:35 - Aug 31 by ZXBlue

Yep he got very close.

There are similarities with south west accents, but distinct nuances separate them.

Of course, most south west accents you hear are terrible generic farmer accents rather than anything you would hear in dorset or somerset anyway. Yes: I am looking at YOU "The Archers".

Although The Archers is allegedly set in Worcestershire....

When they are nipping into "Borchester" it is supposed to be Worcester as opposed to Dorchester

Even so, the Archers' accents are "rural, generic" rather than a proper Worcestershire
[Post edited 3 Sep 2021 9:34]
Actors attempting East Anglian accents but rolling their Rs annoys me on 10:12 - Sep 3 with 3111 viewsGunnsAirkick

I can think of two recent films with proper East Anglian accents, The Dig has already been mentioned (excellent film).

The other is this very odd horror film (a must for David Lynch and Garth Marenghi fans):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Possum_(2018_film)

It's interesting that both Ralph Fiennes and Sean Harris were born in East Anglia (in Ipswich and Woodbridge respectively), so I presume they both have links to the area and that is why they nailed the accent.

I liked Fighting with My Family, but the accents did grate a bit!
Actors attempting East Anglian accents but rolling their Rs annoys me on 14:00 - Sep 3 with 3034 viewsstonojnr

Actors attempting East Anglian accents but rolling their Rs annoys me on 05:39 - Sep 3 by IPS_wich

When I moved from Suffolk (Woodbridge) to university in Leeds in the mid-90s, I must have had 15-20 people in freshers week ask me if I was from university.

Now I live in Australia, having moved here at age 39 with a wife from the North East and two kids raised in Chelmsford - it's amazing how many people who meet us assume I'm Australian and have moved back here with my english family,

the daft thing is I cant hear the similarity, they are distinctly seperate enough to me I dont know why people get them mixed up, but I know it happens alot, its happened in Canada to me & when we first moved to Ipswich from rural Suffolk so even locals get it wrong sometimes, and in Australia.

I was over there for the Ashes we were losing heavily, had my England top, and England hat on, looking exactly like an English tourist.

and one of the things you have to get used to during an Ashes series is Aussies will always banter with you about the cricket if they spot you are English, especially when they are winning, and Id walked into the hotel I was booked to stay at to checkin, and the guy behind the desk started to make small chat about the cricket and you think oh ok here we go again what joke about the England team losing will he make this time.

but the guy went off on this tangent on the Aussie team, and who did I think from state cricket they should pick as the poms might get back in this if we let up on them, and I had to stop him and say sorry Im English, and his face was a picture he'd completely ignored what I was wearing and just said gee sorry mate you sounded so Australian I thought you were from round here.
Actors attempting East Anglian accents but rolling their Rs annoys me on 15:28 - Sep 3 with 2994 viewsGunnsAirkick

Actors attempting East Anglian accents but rolling their Rs annoys me on 21:28 - Sep 2 by BLUEBEAT

Interesting.

Same here, but in England down south! Has happened to me a couple of times, I think the rounding of some words do sound kind of similar e.g. "alright?"
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024