Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
E10 unleaded fuel 06:47 - Sep 1 with 3304 viewssolomon

Is anyone using it? Any issues?

My garage advised me not to as the octane level isn’t high enough for mine and to stick with E5 . Anyone else had the same advice?
E10 unleaded fuel on 07:00 - Sep 1 with 3249 viewsVic

Miss Vic drives an 06 Polo which just misses the cut off so annoyingly needs the old unleaded. I know the blurb says that she shouldn’t put the new stuff in, but will it really do any harm?

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

E10 unleaded fuel on 07:07 - Sep 1 with 3218 viewsbluelagos

What you driving? Never had an issue but not driving an old classic.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

E10 unleaded fuel on 07:12 - Sep 1 with 3191 viewssolomon

E10 unleaded fuel on 07:07 - Sep 1 by bluelagos

What you driving? Never had an issue but not driving an old classic.

M4, guess it may be performance related as I only ever put in shell performance or BP ultimate, they are both E5. When I’ve been on various websites and out make and model in it says it’s ok, BMW tell me otherwise, all a bit confusing.
E10 unleaded fuel on 07:17 - Sep 1 with 3169 viewsbluelagos

E10 unleaded fuel on 07:12 - Sep 1 by solomon

M4, guess it may be performance related as I only ever put in shell performance or BP ultimate, they are both E5. When I’ve been on various websites and out make and model in it says it’s ok, BMW tell me otherwise, all a bit confusing.

A modern car? Can't see why it would be an issue tbh. Europe has been running on E10 for years. Plenty of souped up beemers running without issues...

E10 unleaded fuel on 07:18 - Sep 1 with 3165 viewsbluelagos

E10 unleaded fuel on 07:17 - Sep 1 by bluelagos

A modern car? Can't see why it would be an issue tbh. Europe has been running on E10 for years. Plenty of souped up beemers running without issues...

https://www.bmwblog.com/2011/03/07/bmw-backs-the-introduction-of-super-e10-fuel-

E10 unleaded fuel on 07:27 - Sep 1 with 3125 viewsblue62

E10 unleaded fuel on 07:00 - Sep 1 by Vic

Miss Vic drives an 06 Polo which just misses the cut off so annoyingly needs the old unleaded. I know the blurb says that she shouldn’t put the new stuff in, but will it really do any harm?

I read somewhere it can damage the engine, but worth researching a bit to be sure.
E10 unleaded fuel on 07:34 - Sep 1 with 3097 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

E10 unleaded fuel on 07:27 - Sep 1 by blue62

I read somewhere it can damage the engine, but worth researching a bit to be sure.

I read that the new stuff gives less m.p.g....no idea if accurate.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

E10 unleaded fuel on 08:05 - Sep 1 with 2984 viewsdickie

E10 unleaded fuel on 07:34 - Sep 1 by BanksterDebtSlave

Apparently 1% less. Effectively a rise in duty but any environmental improvement must be a good thing
Login to get fewer ads

E10 unleaded fuel on 08:16 - Sep 1 with 2932 viewsVic

E10 unleaded fuel on 07:34 - Sep 1 by BanksterDebtSlave

If that’s the only damage then she can take that hit. If it also damages the engine(which I’ve heard but am not sure whether it’s part of the sales package to get her to scrap an older car) then it’s a bit more serious.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

E10 unleaded fuel on 08:29 - Sep 1 with 2879 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

E10 unleaded fuel on 08:16 - Sep 1 by Vic

If that’s the only damage then she can take that hit. If it also damages the engine(which I’ve heard but am not sure whether it’s part of the sales package to get her to scrap an older car) then it’s a bit more serious.

https://check-vehicle-compatibility-e10-petrol.service.gov.uk/manufacturer/Volks

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

E10 unleaded fuel on 08:48 - Sep 1 with 2790 viewsBloomBlue

The trouble can be older engines could use the E10 but that could change depending on any parts changed since the car was new. Its possible the replacement parts used mean it cannot use E10, the whole thing isnt as simple as looking up the model on a website. It's also why most sites have a caveat of 'it's not our fault if your car blows up if you use it'
E10 unleaded fuel on 08:59 - Sep 1 with 2725 viewsGeoffSentence

E10 unleaded fuel on 07:00 - Sep 1 by Vic

Could do, ethanol is corrosive to some materials that were used in older verhicles so over time you could find that the higher ethanol content in E10 will damage some components.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

E10 unleaded fuel on 10:23 - Sep 1 with 2598 viewssotd78

From the AA website:Why might my vehicle not be compatible with E10?
Corrosion — in long term storage, fuel containing Ethanol can become acidic and cause corrosion of aluminium, zinc and galvanised materials, brass, copper and lead/tin coated steels.
Material compatibility — Ethanol's high solvency can cause problems with many seal and gasket materials used in fuel systems as well as with fibre glass resins. Besides a risk of fuel leaks, rubber components and resins can become partially dissolved, producing deposits that could foul carburettor jets. Replacement components made with Ethanol-compatible materials are available.
Combustion — Ethanol's higher volatility can contribute to 'vapour lock' issues in older vehicles when operating temperatures are higher. Ethanol can also affect cold start performance.

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

E10 unleaded fuel on 10:39 - Sep 1 with 2561 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Fine so far - isn't it just the old premium unleaded and now the old 'standard' unleaded is the premium one?

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

E10 unleaded fuel on 10:46 - Sep 1 with 2542 viewsNW10_Tractor

E10 unleaded fuel on 10:39 - Sep 1 by JammyDodgerrr

Fine so far - isn't it just the old premium unleaded and now the old 'standard' unleaded is the premium one?

From what I have seen at my local Petrol Station, you used to get E5 (95) and E5 (99). The E5 (95) has gone to be replaced with the E10. Most forecourts will do the E5 (99) but that is more expensive one. Supermarkets still do the E5 (95)*

Well Tesco in Brent Cross did up to last night Aug 30th

Harlesden's Arrogantly Talented with the Skill Abilities And not a bad goalkeeper either....
Poll: How would you like Town to win the league

E10 unleaded fuel on 11:15 - Sep 1 with 2467 viewsNickITFC

With an M4 or any performance car it isn't even worth considering using 95 ron fuel. Check the inside of your filler cap it will say what the minimum ron fuel you require. I can imagine it being 98.
E10 unleaded fuel on 12:07 - Sep 1 with 2395 viewsstonojnr

E10 unleaded fuel on 07:17 - Sep 1 by bluelagos

well running seemingly without issues isnt quite the same thing as running with a recommended octane.

on all cars but especially souped up cars, the engine will have been tuned to work optimally with a specific octane, and the ECU mapping for the engine that controls the timing/ignition of the fuel & air mix and all that will be tailored to that octane, and you get the best performance & fuel consumption at that octane

the ECU is smart enough to shift things around to cope if you put a lower rated octane fuel in, so it will still "run without issue", but the fuel might not be burning as consistently, the mix wont be as ideal in that sweetspot of performance/economy, and it can result in damage to an engine, certainly more carbon deposit build ups in the engine, which impact the performance/economy even more.

so you might find spark plugs wear out quicker, valves might need replacing as ongoing maintenance even decokes might come back, but its probably stuff measured long term ownership, or I guess will impact on buying older cars in the 2nd hand market.
E10 unleaded fuel on 12:23 - Sep 1 with 2363 viewsOldboy

Had it in my Mazda 3 for the last few weeks. Nothing to report yet.
E10 unleaded fuel on 18:58 - Sep 1 with 2139 viewssolomon

E10 unleaded fuel on 11:15 - Sep 1 by NickITFC

With an M4 or any performance car it isn't even worth considering using 95 ron fuel. Check the inside of your filler cap it will say what the minimum ron fuel you require. I can imagine it being 98.

Spot on, that’s what I’m sticking with, better the devil you know.
E10 unleaded fuel on 19:04 - Sep 1 with 2120 viewsDeano69

Actually, just made me wonder, what about my petrol mower?

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

E10 unleaded fuel on 19:42 - Sep 1 with 2042 viewsronnyd

If you're putting a car on SORN, drain the tank, as E10 deteriorates if left standing over time.
E10 unleaded fuel on 19:54 - Sep 1 with 2025 viewsjas0999

Yes. No issues.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024