Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Another Damning Comment on the Evans Era....... 13:12 - Sep 2 with 2939 viewsghostofescobar

From the EADT interview with MA: “But we have no recruitment department. We have no objective or subjective recruitment department." It just makes me wince, and sad to see what that man got away with. As my old dad used to like saying, next time I meet that man I'd like to shake him warmly by the throat!

GhostOfEscobar

Another Damning Comment on the Evans Era....... on 13:29 - Sep 2 with 2473 viewsChurchman

Ashton said in an early interview that for a club in this league he’d expect a recruitment team of five. For the Championship, ten because of the greater prospect of recruiting non-British players. For the PL, more than ten for obvious reasons.

Ipswich Town recruitment team: zero. Zilch. S&d all. Just Bowman roaming around. Is it any surprise we’ve wound up where we are.

Thank you Marcus …..for nothing.
Another Damning Comment on the Evans Era....... on 13:40 - Sep 2 with 2401 viewsDyland

Absent owner who was too much of a control freak to employ accountable people for the last few years, thought cutting his cloth accordingly would wash. Tbf he was looking to sell for some time. Doesn't excuse it though does it. The Alan Lee interview was surely the final nail for anyone who still needed convincing MEG wasn't operating at Town in any professional manner at all.

The bloke still owns the same percentage as our three new entrepeneurs combined. That makes me shudder a little cos I'm super superstitious and only half jokingly think there's a curse on ITFC. And no Nerders, not from Sheepshanks days.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Another Damning Comment on the Evans Era....... on 13:41 - Sep 2 with 2395 viewsJ2BLUE

Evans was an absolute disaster. I hope I never hear his name again unless it's a TWTD story of him selling his 5% in Gamechangers.

He tied a hand behind our back for 15 years or whatever it was and screwed us over. He has set us back as a club by a massive distance. Things might not be great on the pitch right now but I can't get my head around those who aren't willing to give it a chance. The people still banging on about the good old days of grinding out a 15th place finish under Evans and MM need to get a grip. We were what we used to mock Stoke for. Just a division lower.

F##k Evans.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Another Damning Comment on the Evans Era....... on 14:00 - Sep 2 with 2294 viewsChrisd

Think we forget how much we were stagnating under ME, we could all see the longer he stayed the longer we were going to head in a downward spiral. This puts it into context for me with the slight disagreements currently about PC and how long is needed to turn things around, the fact we have owners that are prepared to ‘properly’ invest on and off the pitch is a novelty to us and we should feel confident that they will do their utmost to move us forwards by hook or by crook. They’ve shown in their actions during this transfer window they want the club to progress and not just be content to tread water and that should give us all reassurance they want success and will do all they can to help achieve it. Can you imagine starting this season with ME at the helm with the likes of Cornell, Hawkins and an ageing Stephen Ward to give us hope for the new campaign? Blimey, what a depressing thought that would be! Thankfully, that seems a thing of the past and that’s what should give us all hope in going forwards.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2021 14:03]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Another Damning Comment on the Evans Era....... on 14:00 - Sep 2 with 2287 viewsGarv

Another Damning Comment on the Evans Era....... on 13:29 - Sep 2 by Churchman

Ashton said in an early interview that for a club in this league he’d expect a recruitment team of five. For the Championship, ten because of the greater prospect of recruiting non-British players. For the PL, more than ten for obvious reasons.

Ipswich Town recruitment team: zero. Zilch. S&d all. Just Bowman roaming around. Is it any surprise we’ve wound up where we are.

Thank you Marcus …..for nothing.

Someone once said the club needed structure.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Another Damning Comment on the Evans Era....... on 14:03 - Sep 2 with 2271 viewshype313

He was an absolute disaster, not one iota of positivity can come from his stewardship here.

Thankfully, he's a small tarnish on a 130 year's of history and going forward will be consigned to the archives along with Mark Fish, Nigel Reo-Coker and Taximan.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Another Damning Comment on the Evans Era....... on 14:08 - Sep 2 with 2234 viewsMattinLondon

Right, this may well be unpopular but I don’t necessarily think that Evans deserves such talk. Yes, he was a incompetent owner but I do think his heart was in the right place.

I think, over time, he wanted to do what was right for the club it just that he didn’t know how to improve it - at first he was too hands off then too hands on.

In the end he did do write-off millions of pounds of debt simply for the club to head back into the right direction. So, yes he was a terrible owner but not a bad person.
Another Damning Comment on the Evans Era....... on 14:09 - Sep 2 with 2224 viewschicoazul

I don’t know why you would need a “recruitment department” below PL level. Managers and coaches can watch and reference players easily enough. And given we just signed 19 players without one I truly don’t see the need.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Login to get fewer ads

Another Damning Comment on the Evans Era....... on 14:24 - Sep 2 with 2141 viewsMattinLondon

Another Damning Comment on the Evans Era....... on 14:09 - Sep 2 by chicoazul

I don’t know why you would need a “recruitment department” below PL level. Managers and coaches can watch and reference players easily enough. And given we just signed 19 players without one I truly don’t see the need.

I’m guessing that a fair few of the players brought in were known to Cook and to a lesser extent Ashton. So they knew what they were getting.

Also, good players as a resource, are limited in number so you may well need various people all looking at different players as other rival clubs will be doing the same.
Another Damning Comment on the Evans Era....... on 14:48 - Sep 2 with 2029 viewsIllinoisblue

Another Damning Comment on the Evans Era....... on 14:09 - Sep 2 by chicoazul

For realz? You can’t see why it makes sense to invest in vital personnel?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Another Damning Comment on the Evans Era....... on 14:49 - Sep 2 with 2032 viewsDyland

Another Damning Comment on the Evans Era....... on 14:08 - Sep 2 by MattinLondon

Right, this may well be unpopular but I don’t necessarily think that Evans deserves such talk. Yes, he was a incompetent owner but I do think his heart was in the right place.

I think, over time, he wanted to do what was right for the club it just that he didn’t know how to improve it - at first he was too hands off then too hands on.

In the end he did do write-off millions of pounds of debt simply for the club to head back into the right direction. So, yes he was a terrible owner but not a bad person.

I don't think he's a terrible person either. Just an incompetent owner at the end of the day. If he was some narcissistic nutter he'd still be running the show. He ain't that. And he's cut his losses in a manner that isn't ruinous to him. All this guff about being a bad businessman is just that, guff. Whether one wants to question the nature of his business and financial affairs is another matter of course.

Another Damning Comment on the Evans Era....... on 14:51 - Sep 2 with 2034 viewsPhilTWTD

Another Damning Comment on the Evans Era....... on 14:24 - Sep 2 by MattinLondon

I’m guessing that a fair few of the players brought in were known to Cook and to a lesser extent Ashton. So they knew what they were getting.

Also, good players as a resource, are limited in number so you may well need various people all looking at different players as other rival clubs will be doing the same.

That was basically how it worked, from what I gather. Cook, his staff, Ashton, O'Leary et al all using their contacts and knowledge of players etc.

Not sure it's fair to say there was no recruitment department, but obviously Dave Bowman moving on meant a head of that side of things was missing. They had a restructure a couple of years ago to make things more online based than they previously were.

There will also be a move towards doing things from a more data-driven angle, that side of things hasn't been in place at all this summer.
arf on 15:06 - Sep 2 with 1941 viewsDyland

Another Damning Comment on the Evans Era....... on 14:51 - Sep 2 by PhilTWTD

That was basically how it worked, from what I gather. Cook, his staff, Ashton, O'Leary et al all using their contacts and knowledge of players etc.

Not sure it's fair to say there was no recruitment department, but obviously Dave Bowman moving on meant a head of that side of things was missing. They had a restructure a couple of years ago to make things more online based than they previously were.

There will also be a move towards doing things from a more data-driven angle, that side of things hasn't been in place at all this summer.

"They had a restructure a couple of years ago to make things more online based than they previously were."

Marcus would say he was ahead of the curve innit.

Another Damning Comment on the Evans Era....... on 15:09 - Sep 2 with 1919 viewschrismakin

The only thing you need to know how bad things were under M.E

the u18's had to use Blue paint for linemarkings as an invoice for white paint wasn't paid.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

arf on 15:10 - Sep 2 with 1917 viewshype313

arf on 15:06 - Sep 2 by Dyland

"They had a restructure a couple of years ago to make things more online based than they previously were."

Marcus would say he was ahead of the curve innit.

Must have been using MS Dos then given we signed Stephen Ward

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

arf on 15:11 - Sep 2 with 1908 viewsDyland

arf on 15:10 - Sep 2 by hype313

Must have been using MS Dos then given we signed Stephen Ward

Or a ZX Spectrum

arf on 15:32 - Sep 2 with 1793 viewsMattinLondon

arf on 15:11 - Sep 2 by Dyland

Or a ZX Spectrum

I can imagine Lambert loading up the old spectrum to analyse players but only for a ‘tape loading error’ message to appear on screen. And then signing Keanan Bennetts.
Another Damning Comment on the Evans Era....... on 16:02 - Sep 2 with 1703 viewsSwansea_Blue

Another Damning Comment on the Evans Era....... on 14:03 - Sep 2 by hype313

He was an absolute disaster, not one iota of positivity can come from his stewardship here.

Thankfully, he's a small tarnish on a 130 year's of history and going forward will be consigned to the archives along with Mark Fish, Nigel Reo-Coker and Taximan.

It comes to something when the only 'highlights' of his time included being knocked out of the playoffs by Norwich, beating Arsenal under a caretaker manager and giving the turnstiles a lick of paint.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Another Damning Comment on the Evans Era....... on 16:11 - Sep 2 with 1659 viewsmylittletown

Another Damning Comment on the Evans Era....... on 16:02 - Sep 2 by Swansea_Blue

It comes to something when the only 'highlights' of his time included being knocked out of the playoffs by Norwich, beating Arsenal under a caretaker manager and giving the turnstiles a lick of paint.

ME turned out to be a disaster, but I wonder how many of the critical posters were creaming their pants when he appointed Roy Keane and gave him several million pounds to spend.
arf on 16:17 - Sep 2 with 1618 viewsChurchman

arf on 15:32 - Sep 2 by MattinLondon

I can imagine Lambert loading up the old spectrum to analyse players but only for a ‘tape loading error’ message to appear on screen. And then signing Keanan Bennetts.

The only thing I suspect Lambert ever loaded (with help) was an old top loading Ferguson Videostar with tapes of Dortmund and Celtic games.
Another Damning Comment on the Evans Era....... on 16:58 - Sep 2 with 1492 viewsDurovigutum

We do have some scouts however, I met one last night at the FA Youth Cup game I was officiating.
Another Damning Comment on the Evans Era....... on 17:16 - Sep 2 with 1453 viewsMattinLondon

Another Damning Comment on the Evans Era....... on 16:58 - Sep 2 by Durovigutum

We do have some scouts however, I met one last night at the FA Youth Cup game I was officiating.

Which game was that?
Another Damning Comment on the Evans Era....... on 17:17 - Sep 2 with 1445 viewsJ2BLUE

Another Damning Comment on the Evans Era....... on 16:11 - Sep 2 by mylittletown

ME turned out to be a disaster, but I wonder how many of the critical posters were creaming their pants when he appointed Roy Keane and gave him several million pounds to spend.

So what? Facts change. Opinions change based on facts.

I still remember coming home from Sainsburys and seeing the new on the BBC website. I was buzzing. What relevance does that have to now?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Another Damning Comment on the Evans Era....... on 18:22 - Sep 2 with 1310 viewsMattinLondon

Another Damning Comment on the Evans Era....... on 17:17 - Sep 2 by J2BLUE

So what? Facts change. Opinions change based on facts.

I still remember coming home from Sainsburys and seeing the new on the BBC website. I was buzzing. What relevance does that have to now?

Facts change, I agree with you on this. But some posters seem to change their own positioning regarding the past in order to look like that knew what was going to happen. When I’m truth they simply come across as smug.

For example, some on here criticise fans for clamping the team off the pitch following relegation. And for Blue Action for that Lambo banner. In truth most fans praised that level of support.

So, yeah, facts change and we judge on new available facts. But it’s important not to try and revise the past as it’s very obvious to see through that (not saying you’re guilty of this as I don’t think you are).
Another Damning Comment on the Evans Era....... on 18:26 - Sep 2 with 1296 viewschicoazul

Another Damning Comment on the Evans Era....... on 14:48 - Sep 2 by Illinoisblue

For realz? You can’t see why it makes sense to invest in vital personnel?

Not sure they’re vital. Do you need a team of 5 analysts to know Chaplin Celina and Bonne are good but Skuse is past it? I think a couple of scouts in the Championship and sure, a team of them in the Prem, but L1? Dunno.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024