Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Under 18s + 23s 13:54 - Sep 3 with 1080 viewsportmanroadblue

Do they play the same formation as the 1st team?
Under 18s + 23s on 16:08 - Sep 3 with 1005 viewsgordon

Pretty sure that at some point in the last five years or so Lee O'Neill or Marcus Evans proudly proclaimed that this would be the case, as if they were the first people to ever think of this.*

*Not having a go a Lee O'Neill, decent guy, none of it was his fault.
Under 18s + 23s on 16:10 - Sep 3 with 1001 viewsPhilTWTD

Under 18s + 23s on 16:08 - Sep 3 by gordon

Pretty sure that at some point in the last five years or so Lee O'Neill or Marcus Evans proudly proclaimed that this would be the case, as if they were the first people to ever think of this.*

*Not having a go a Lee O'Neill, decent guy, none of it was his fault.

That was Paul Lambert's idea. I know coaches at the levels you mention weren't entirely impressed and didn't always adhere to that policy. Having said that, the U23s played the same system as the first team today.
Under 18s + 23s on 16:33 - Sep 3 with 956 viewsLankHenners

Under 18s + 23s on 16:10 - Sep 3 by PhilTWTD

That was Paul Lambert's idea. I know coaches at the levels you mention weren't entirely impressed and didn't always adhere to that policy. Having said that, the U23s played the same system as the first team today.

Didn’t Klug say fairly recently that the idea of the youth teams playing the same way as the first team being an ideal is a bit of a myth? Saying that you’ll never or very rarely have a lot of U18/23 players all move up at the same time and the manager might change anyway.

Can remember him saying something about coaching young players to be good footballers in a holistic sense being the best thing anyway as if they go out on loan or whatever they know how to behave, how to play to how that manager wants etc.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Under 18s + 23s on 16:58 - Sep 3 with 917 viewsitfcjoe

Under 18s + 23s on 16:33 - Sep 3 by LankHenners

Didn’t Klug say fairly recently that the idea of the youth teams playing the same way as the first team being an ideal is a bit of a myth? Saying that you’ll never or very rarely have a lot of U18/23 players all move up at the same time and the manager might change anyway.

Can remember him saying something about coaching young players to be good footballers in a holistic sense being the best thing anyway as if they go out on loan or whatever they know how to behave, how to play to how that manager wants etc.

Yep - it's just this myth people who think they know about youth football go on about as though we are Barcelona or Ajax who as a club will only appoint managers who play a certain way and have done for the last 40 years.

The academy's job is to produce well rounded footballers and people, who are comfortable on the ball, physically able to hack it, and tactically smart enough to understand what to do in a variety of formations whilst having the football savviness to react to what is happening around them

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Under 18s + 23s on 17:00 - Sep 3 with 912 viewsPhilTWTD

Under 18s + 23s on 16:33 - Sep 3 by LankHenners

I don't remember Bryan K saying that but Alan Lee certainly did in the podcast we did with him.
Under 18s + 23s on 18:11 - Sep 3 with 801 viewsLankHenners

Under 18s + 23s on 17:00 - Sep 3 by PhilTWTD

I don't remember Bryan K saying that but Alan Lee certainly did in the podcast we did with him.

Ah yes that’ll be where I heard it.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024