Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Roy Bailey 14:13 - Sep 3 with 2348 viewsITFC_nostalgia

Anyone got any memories etc of Roy? For those lucky enough to have seen him would he be the best ever Town keeper?
Roy Bailey on 16:01 - Sep 3 with 2254 viewsmonty_radio

While I was a tad young at the time to make comparisons at the time, having seen everyone that followed I'd say that we've not had anyone better, though, IMHO, David Best was well up there. We never really got to assess Serereni I think, but he came highly recommended.

Much as I liked and supported Coops, if any of those three had been here for the Robson years, we'd have probably won a bit more.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Roy Bailey on 16:37 - Sep 3 with 2221 viewsChurchman

Roy Bailey on 16:01 - Sep 3 by monty_radio

While I was a tad young at the time to make comparisons at the time, having seen everyone that followed I'd say that we've not had anyone better, though, IMHO, David Best was well up there. We never really got to assess Serereni I think, but he came highly recommended.

Much as I liked and supported Coops, if any of those three had been here for the Robson years, we'd have probably won a bit more.

Too young to see Bailey play, but I agree regarding David Best. He was a smashing keeper at a time when we really needed one. He had a presence to him. Cooper was a good shot stopper and brave, but was the weak link in the side for me. He was too small.

I think Richard Wright and Bart Bialkowski are as good as anyone I’ve seen in goal for us.
Roy Bailey on 16:43 - Sep 3 with 2199 viewsmr_bean

Roy Bailey on 16:37 - Sep 3 by Churchman

Too young to see Bailey play, but I agree regarding David Best. He was a smashing keeper at a time when we really needed one. He had a presence to him. Cooper was a good shot stopper and brave, but was the weak link in the side for me. He was too small.

I think Richard Wright and Bart Bialkowski are as good as anyone I’ve seen in goal for us.

Cooper was the weak link? He was an absolute penalty-saving king!
Roy Bailey on 16:49 - Sep 3 with 2193 viewsPhilTWTD

Roy Bailey on 16:43 - Sep 3 by mr_bean

It has been said before on here that Bailey saved more than Cooper, although I'm not sure I've ever seen the precise statistics on that.
Roy Bailey on 17:24 - Sep 3 with 2128 viewsEastTownBlue

From what I recall my Dad saying was that Bailey was a good keeper although he lost it a bit for his final couple of seasons.

It was always good to see in my Panini sticker books during the eighties that Gary Bailey was born in Ipswich.
Roy Bailey on 17:41 - Sep 3 with 2109 viewsChurchman

Roy Bailey on 16:43 - Sep 3 by mr_bean

I may be being a little harsh on him. He was the penalty saving king. Good shot stopper too, but had we secured the services of Pat Jennings in 1977, I believe we’d have won the league twice and possibly a few more trophies besides the FA Cup and UEFA. Perhaps weakest link in Robson’s best two teams is a better description. Cooper was decent by most clubs’ standards.
[Post edited 3 Sep 2021 17:44]
Roy Bailey on 18:36 - Sep 3 with 2051 viewsWestover

Ken Hancock back in the day we would sing Hancock was better than Yashin who was probably the first of the great goalkeepers.
Roy Bailey on 10:59 - Sep 4 with 1872 viewsITFC_nostalgia

Roy Bailey on 17:24 - Sep 3 by EastTownBlue

From what I recall my Dad saying was that Bailey was a good keeper although he lost it a bit for his final couple of seasons.

It was always good to see in my Panini sticker books during the eighties that Gary Bailey was born in Ipswich.

That drop probably coincided with most of that League winning side.
Login to get fewer ads

Roy Bailey on 12:06 - Sep 4 with 1841 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Roy Bailey on 17:41 - Sep 3 by Churchman

I may be being a little harsh on him. He was the penalty saving king. Good shot stopper too, but had we secured the services of Pat Jennings in 1977, I believe we’d have won the league twice and possibly a few more trophies besides the FA Cup and UEFA. Perhaps weakest link in Robson’s best two teams is a better description. Cooper was decent by most clubs’ standards.
[Post edited 3 Sep 2021 17:44]

Jennings was all set to sign for Town, I believe Big Al Hunter played a part in setting up the deal. It was Town who decided against it at the last moment, a big mistake as Jennings was a true great. After George Best I believe he is the greatest Northern Ireland player. Cooper was good but he wasn't in the same class as Pat Jennings.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Roy Bailey on 12:49 - Sep 4 with 1823 viewsChurchman

Roy Bailey on 12:06 - Sep 4 by The_Last_Baron

Jennings was all set to sign for Town, I believe Big Al Hunter played a part in setting up the deal. It was Town who decided against it at the last moment, a big mistake as Jennings was a true great. After George Best I believe he is the greatest Northern Ireland player. Cooper was good but he wasn't in the same class as Pat Jennings.

Was it really Town that opted out of the Jennings deal? Wow, I never knew that. Such a shame.

Yes, after Best (the greatest player I ever saw play), Jennings has to be the next best Northern Irish player. I don’t think I ever saw a better goalkeeper. Maybe Gordon Banks, but he was certainly in the same bracket for me. Hands like shovels and brave as a lion.
Roy Bailey on 13:36 - Sep 4 with 1799 viewssolemio

Yes, Pat Jennings was the best ever Watford goalkeeper. David James was second best.
Roy Bailey on 13:38 - Sep 4 with 1794 viewsfarkenhell

I remember at the time it was thought that Jennings was coming towards the end of his career (he had reached or was approaching 30 years old). He then moved from Spurs to Arsenal for £40k where he played for another 10 years (and had a testimonial season with the Arse, if I remember rightly). Had hands like shovels apparently - measured a foot between his thumb and little finger.

I am full of useless information btw!
Roy Bailey on 13:40 - Sep 4 with 1789 viewsPhilTWTD

I was told by a senior member of the team that the reason Jennings didn't sign was that he didn't want to move away from where he lived in the London area.

Robson also tried to sign Shilton but Stoke wanted more money than we were prepared to pay and in any case he had already decided to join Forest. That was straight from the horse's mouth when we had him on Life's a Pitch a few years back.
Roy Bailey on 13:57 - Sep 4 with 1772 viewsSibelius8

Roy Bailey on 10:59 - Sep 4 by ITFC_nostalgia

That drop probably coincided with most of that League winning side.

The '62 team's performances declined rapidly in the two seasons that followed. Most importantly, this process was exacerbated by other teams countering our (then) unique team formation and our tactics generally. As regards our defence, I do remember reading, one snowy Christmas time in the Green 'Un, sitting at home, how Bailey scored an own goal from a punch on the ball as he tried to steer it to safety from a cross. (We famously lost that game 10-1) However, in his heyday he was undoubtedly one of our best ever keepers.
Although I saw Roy Bailey many times I was too young to appreciate or appraise him properly, but he clearly seemed a commanding presence. There were many excellent saves that swirl as bygone ghosts though my earliest Portman Road recollections. I remember my father didn't take me to our final match against Aston Villa (2-0) when we clinched the League Championship because he thought the crowd would be too large and boisterous. I was 7 years old - so he had a point, alas.
Incidentally, in those far-off days, the players were allowed to take the trophy home with them for a day to show it to their friends and family. My grandmother (in Tuddenham Avenue) happened to live next to one of the players (I have forgotten who) and I was able to hold the lid aloft and boyishly cheer - but the trophy itself was far too heavy for me to lift.
But I digress. Roy Bailey was most certainly the equal of, if not better than, all our other goalkeepers. But true comparisons are impossible.
Roy Bailey on 14:30 - Sep 4 with 1741 viewsBlue_badge

My mum occasionally met Roy's wife up the shops and, being nearly 5 years old, I was often left to "hold the pram" containing a very young Gary while they went into the butchers. Nothing to do with Roy himself, but I provided the first security services for a future England keeper, so there.
Roy Bailey on 14:43 - Sep 4 with 1712 viewsDJR

Roy Bailey on 16:01 - Sep 3 by monty_radio

I think Cooper was a very good keeper, and I don't remember him making the type of mistakes some of our recent keeper have. From what I can recall, his distribution was pretty good too. Admittedly he was the only non-international player in the later Robson team, but he did have Clemence and Shilton ahead of him
Roy Bailey on 21:22 - Sep 4 with 1601 viewsBluespeed225

Roy Bailey on 13:40 - Sep 4 by PhilTWTD

I was told by a senior member of the team that the reason Jennings didn't sign was that he didn't want to move away from where he lived in the London area.

Robson also tried to sign Shilton but Stoke wanted more money than we were prepared to pay and in any case he had already decided to join Forest. That was straight from the horse's mouth when we had him on Life's a Pitch a few years back.

Yup, Spurs let him go after 15/6 years service with plenty of years ahead of him, we were in, then Arsenal came along, so he didn’t have to move and it was a middle finger up to Spurs.
Roy Bailey on 21:47 - Sep 4 with 1582 viewsBonchosBicycle

Roy Bailey on 14:30 - Sep 4 by Blue_badge

My mum occasionally met Roy's wife up the shops and, being nearly 5 years old, I was often left to "hold the pram" containing a very young Gary while they went into the butchers. Nothing to do with Roy himself, but I provided the first security services for a future England keeper, so there.

Too young to remember Roy, but clearly remember Gary letting in six against us despite saving two or three penalties. He now does colour commentary for Phoenix Rising games. I was surprised to hear he has an accent.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2021 21:48]
Roy Bailey on 22:19 - Sep 4 with 1557 viewsmonty_radio

Roy Bailey on 13:57 - Sep 4 by Sibelius8

The '62 team's performances declined rapidly in the two seasons that followed. Most importantly, this process was exacerbated by other teams countering our (then) unique team formation and our tactics generally. As regards our defence, I do remember reading, one snowy Christmas time in the Green 'Un, sitting at home, how Bailey scored an own goal from a punch on the ball as he tried to steer it to safety from a cross. (We famously lost that game 10-1) However, in his heyday he was undoubtedly one of our best ever keepers.
Although I saw Roy Bailey many times I was too young to appreciate or appraise him properly, but he clearly seemed a commanding presence. There were many excellent saves that swirl as bygone ghosts though my earliest Portman Road recollections. I remember my father didn't take me to our final match against Aston Villa (2-0) when we clinched the League Championship because he thought the crowd would be too large and boisterous. I was 7 years old - so he had a point, alas.
Incidentally, in those far-off days, the players were allowed to take the trophy home with them for a day to show it to their friends and family. My grandmother (in Tuddenham Avenue) happened to live next to one of the players (I have forgotten who) and I was able to hold the lid aloft and boyishly cheer - but the trophy itself was far too heavy for me to lift.
But I digress. Roy Bailey was most certainly the equal of, if not better than, all our other goalkeepers. But true comparisons are impossible.

Funnily enough my great aunt lived in that avenue. I think it may have been Ray Crawford that lived there. I was 4 years older than you and went to that game by myself. My biggest regret is that rather than enjoy the celebrations at the end I rushed out for the buses that used to await on Portman Rd because I wanted to get home for the Lone Ranger!

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Roy Bailey on 23:20 - Sep 4 with 1517 viewsfloridablue

Roy Bailey on 22:19 - Sep 4 by monty_radio

Funnily enough my great aunt lived in that avenue. I think it may have been Ray Crawford that lived there. I was 4 years older than you and went to that game by myself. My biggest regret is that rather than enjoy the celebrations at the end I rushed out for the buses that used to await on Portman Rd because I wanted to get home for the Lone Ranger!

Hi ho Silver away!.... as I wasn't there for the Villa game I'm pretty certain I'd be home, glued to the black and white box after BBC Grandstand had ended watching the Lone Ranger as a very happy 7 year old Town fan! In those days I was living at my grandmothers in the next road to Tuddenham Ave and vaguely remembering a Town player there but don't think it was Ray. I'm going for Roy Stephenson!
Roy Bailey on 19:05 - Sep 5 with 1391 viewsbluebudgie

Roy Bailey on 14:43 - Sep 4 by DJR

I think Cooper was a very good keeper, and I don't remember him making the type of mistakes some of our recent keeper have. From what I can recall, his distribution was pretty good too. Admittedly he was the only non-international player in the later Robson team, but he did have Clemence and Shilton ahead of him

Paul Cooper was player of the year in 1980/81 which many fans say is our finest season ever.Remember he was up against the Town greats of that time!
Roy Bailey on 09:14 - Sep 6 with 1322 viewsblueislander

Roy Bailey on 19:05 - Sep 5 by bluebudgie

Paul Cooper was player of the year in 1980/81 which many fans say is our finest season ever.Remember he was up against the Town greats of that time!

Roy Bailey was in my opinion the best goalkeeper Town have ever had. Two things about him stand out. He really commanded his area, and invariably caught crosses rather than punched. His distribution was really good, he could bowl the ball overran to the halfway line with unerring accuracy.
Roy Bailey on 09:21 - Sep 6 with 1310 viewsChurchman

Roy Bailey on 21:47 - Sep 4 by BonchosBicycle

Too young to remember Roy, but clearly remember Gary letting in six against us despite saving two or three penalties. He now does colour commentary for Phoenix Rising games. I was surprised to hear he has an accent.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2021 21:48]

Gary was their man of the match that day. He did nothing wrong and saved them from a double figure score. He was a very good goalkeeper.
Roy Bailey on 13:25 - Sep 6 with 1252 viewsoldburian

Roy was a very solid keeper who, up until 1963, never let the team down. I was always surprised when we conceded a goal past him. He was of the highest rank.

As for the best goalkeeper, Tony Garnett and I had a discussion one day and we both plumped for Richard Wright in his first spell.

I too was watching Grandstand on Championship day but only because I had Bronchitis and pleurisy, frightened the life out of our dog when the second goal went in.
Roy Bailey on 17:22 - Sep 6 with 1173 viewsBonchosBicycle

Roy Bailey on 09:21 - Sep 6 by Churchman

Gary was their man of the match that day. He did nothing wrong and saved them from a double figure score. He was a very good goalkeeper.

He was indeed a very good keeper and probably deserved more caps.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024