Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Christmas Shortage Warnings 08:10 - Sep 4 with 11580 viewswkj

I see that a few brands are making these claims - yet I can't help but feel it is merely a ploy to drum up sales and stimulate spending. Am I being overly cynical?

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 09:07 - Sep 4 with 4201 viewsgtsb1966

I can never understand why people go way over the top at Xmas. You see them come out of the supermarket with twenty pints of milk and ten loaves of bread etc. The shops are only shut for a day. I buy what I need for a normal week and not things for the sake of it.
Christmas Shortage Warnings on 09:07 - Sep 4 with 4196 viewsFunge

Could well be, to be honest; I can understand it, a lot of the High St shops will be out on their arse at the moment.
Christmas Shortage Warnings on 09:13 - Sep 4 with 4167 viewshoppy

As long as I still get the full quota of Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day, that’s ok… or are the shortages going to strip any of those?

Actually, thinking about it, if it means going without anything this Christmas, could make do without Uncle Colin. He just sits in the corner being grumpy anyway.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2021 9:16]

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 09:15 - Sep 4 with 4158 viewsSteve_M

No, about one third of consumer spending in this country is in the last quarter of each year. Given there are already noticeable gaps in supermarket shelves due to problems in getting goods delivered then it’s reasonable to assume that things could get difficult logistically for this Christmas.

GTSB is also correct that spending is over the top but that won’t change much anytime soon. I worked Christmas Eve in Tesco one year - bloody hell, that was fun.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 09:17 - Sep 4 with 4138 viewshoppy

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 09:15 - Sep 4 by Steve_M

No, about one third of consumer spending in this country is in the last quarter of each year. Given there are already noticeable gaps in supermarket shelves due to problems in getting goods delivered then it’s reasonable to assume that things could get difficult logistically for this Christmas.

GTSB is also correct that spending is over the top but that won’t change much anytime soon. I worked Christmas Eve in Tesco one year - bloody hell, that was fun.

Did they supply the white beard?

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 09:18 - Sep 4 with 4131 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 09:13 - Sep 4 by hoppy

As long as I still get the full quota of Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day, that’s ok… or are the shortages going to strip any of those?

Actually, thinking about it, if it means going without anything this Christmas, could make do without Uncle Colin. He just sits in the corner being grumpy anyway.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2021 9:16]

Christmas Eve is going to be 2 hours shorter than usual, but an extra hour will be added on to the 28th and 29th so nothing to worry about.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 09:21 - Sep 4 with 4118 viewshoppy

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 09:18 - Sep 4 by StochesStotasBlewe

Christmas Eve is going to be 2 hours shorter than usual, but an extra hour will be added on to the 28th and 29th so nothing to worry about.

That’s frustrating. 2 hours shorter on the one day I usually do any Christmas shopping… oh well, Debenhams vouchers it might have to be…

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 09:21 - Sep 4 with 4125 viewsFreddies_Ears

I remember my student days of nightshifts at a Sainsbury's. Luckily, I knew my way around the wines & spirits, which has very hard work but also good fun.
What I never understood, though, was why the store sold twice as much dog food as usual during Christmas week... (my dog never, ever ate dog food at Christmas - turkey, gravy, sausages, sausage rolls, ham.... But no sprouts. Do not ever feed your dog sprouts.
Login to get fewer ads

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 09:28 - Sep 4 with 4077 viewsgtsb1966

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 09:21 - Sep 4 by Freddies_Ears

I remember my student days of nightshifts at a Sainsbury's. Luckily, I knew my way around the wines & spirits, which has very hard work but also good fun.
What I never understood, though, was why the store sold twice as much dog food as usual during Christmas week... (my dog never, ever ate dog food at Christmas - turkey, gravy, sausages, sausage rolls, ham.... But no sprouts. Do not ever feed your dog sprouts.

I agree with the dog and sprouts thing. Having said that me and sprouts are a lethal combination too. Talking of food, as a kid I always remember my mum would buy celery and a box of dates every year and every year the whole lot went in the bin as nobody ate them. Could never understand why she bought them.
Christmas Shortage Warnings on 09:34 - Sep 4 with 4052 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 09:21 - Sep 4 by hoppy

That’s frustrating. 2 hours shorter on the one day I usually do any Christmas shopping… oh well, Debenhams vouchers it might have to be…

It is Gods will.
On the eighth day he created Debenhams.
He is most upset that it has closed down.
However, a nice Waterstones book token or some premium bonds will make a wonderful gift for your nearest and dearest.
Turnips shaped like a thingy for Christmas dinner and a day of prayer and contemplation on Boxing Day.
What’s not to like.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 09:38 - Sep 4 with 4032 viewsEastTownBlue

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 09:07 - Sep 4 by gtsb1966

I can never understand why people go way over the top at Xmas. You see them come out of the supermarket with twenty pints of milk and ten loaves of bread etc. The shops are only shut for a day. I buy what I need for a normal week and not things for the sake of it.

A bit like the panic buying of last year, you wonder how much food is thrown away each Christmas.
Christmas Shortage Warnings on 09:44 - Sep 4 with 4008 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 09:28 - Sep 4 by gtsb1966

I agree with the dog and sprouts thing. Having said that me and sprouts are a lethal combination too. Talking of food, as a kid I always remember my mum would buy celery and a box of dates every year and every year the whole lot went in the bin as nobody ate them. Could never understand why she bought them.

Along with the dates, Frys Turkish Delight usually ended up at the back of the cupboard before being binned months later only to reappear in the Christmas shopping the following year.

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 09:52 - Sep 4 with 3980 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Less stuff and less gluttony...Brexit 52% doing it for the planet, when will the 48'ers finally realise that leave was the only possible 'progressive choice!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 10:26 - Sep 4 with 3860 viewswkj

I don't know if going over the top at Christmas is really the issue, its that we've slowly been going over the top every other day thus pushing Christmas consumption up and up

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 18:32 - Sep 4 with 3592 viewsLord_Lucan

We have stuff we ordered from China last October that still haven’t left yet.

I’m at a trade fair this week and today I have been speaking to a big wig mate in the toy industry, he reckons half of their stuff won’t come in until January

Plus freight has gone up four fold plus - so expect to pay more.

It’s a bloodbath out there.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 18:39 - Sep 4 with 3564 viewsMattinLondon

Possibly because some people have friends and family over at that time of year.
Christmas Shortage Warnings on 18:40 - Sep 4 with 3563 viewsJ2BLUE

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 18:32 - Sep 4 by Lord_Lucan

I’m at a trade fair this week and today I have been speaking to a big wig mate in the toy industry, he reckons half of their stuff won’t come in until January

Oh that's it, i'm off to panic buy stuffing mix.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 18:49 - Sep 4 with 3534 viewsjaykay

dont worry the labour shortage is being rectifyed

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 18:50 - Sep 4 with 3533 viewsronnyd

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 10:26 - Sep 4 by wkj

I don't know if going over the top at Christmas is really the issue, its that we've slowly been going over the top every other day thus pushing Christmas consumption up and up

This. I think that we, as a first world nation, have now been used to having loads of stuff available, all the year round, that we don't really need and can do without. Being born in WW2 makes me more aware of it i suppose.
Christmas Shortage Warnings on 18:51 - Sep 4 with 3532 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 18:32 - Sep 4 by Lord_Lucan

What toys should we be hoarding in order to profiteer at Christmas Alan?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 18:54 - Sep 4 with 3523 viewsJ2BLUE

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 18:50 - Sep 4 by ronnyd

This. I think that we, as a first world nation, have now been used to having loads of stuff available, all the year round, that we don't really need and can do without. Being born in WW2 makes me more aware of it i suppose.

Are you suggesting we don't really need a Halloween themed version of the bakewell tart?

Truly impaired.

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 19:43 - Sep 4 with 3434 viewsVic

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 09:28 - Sep 4 by gtsb1966

Box of dates with that plastic stick thing?

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 20:48 - Sep 4 with 3372 viewsLord_Lucan

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 18:51 - Sep 4 by BanksterDebtSlave

What toys should we be hoarding in order to profiteer at Christmas Alan?

Dunno Stevey.

I’ll report back. I suppose Buzz Lightyear is always in demand.

I remember buying one early when RKD was a nipper and then you couldn’t get one for love nor money.

He then put it in the bath and Buzz drowned.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 22:00 - Sep 4 with 3317 viewsITFC_Forever

For 15 years when I worked for the fizzy drink company, we used to go into the supermarkets to help fill the soft drinks aisles to help keep the product available on shelves.

Always used to get busy from 19th onwards…. By the time 23rd came along it was absolute chaos.
But 24th was usually fairly quiet after an initial busy burst first thing for the fresh stuff. By midday it was not much different to a normal working day, barring the last minute items people had forgotten, the big shop had been done.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 22:15 - Sep 4 with 3283 viewsJ2BLUE

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 22:00 - Sep 4 by ITFC_Forever

For 15 years when I worked for the fizzy drink company, we used to go into the supermarkets to help fill the soft drinks aisles to help keep the product available on shelves.

Always used to get busy from 19th onwards…. By the time 23rd came along it was absolute chaos.
But 24th was usually fairly quiet after an initial busy burst first thing for the fresh stuff. By midday it was not much different to a normal working day, barring the last minute items people had forgotten, the big shop had been done.

That was my experience of Christmas Eve as well.

Truly impaired.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024