Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Christmas Shortage Warnings 08:10 - Sep 4 with 11604 viewswkj

I see that a few brands are making these claims - yet I can't help but feel it is merely a ploy to drum up sales and stimulate spending. Am I being overly cynical?

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 17:38 - Sep 10 with 953 viewsBluedicea

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 14:37 - Sep 10 by HARRY10

It continues

"The figures came as business leaders sounded the alarm over the economic recovery as a shortage of workers and materials fuels the worst supply chain meltdown since the 1970s, threatening to delay the UK’s economic recovery from Covid-19.

Alpesh Paleja, the lead economist at the CBI lobby group, said temporary, targeted interventions from the government were needed to enable businesses to keep their doors open, including relaxing post-Brexit migration rules to help companies hire workers."

elsewhere

"Ian Wright, chief executive of the Food and Drink Federation, said the days when UK consumers could pick up almost any product they like are over.

"The result of the labour shortages is that the just-in-time system that has sustained supermarkets, convenience stores and restaurants - so the food has arrived on shelf or in the kitchen, just when you need it - is no longer working,” he said. “And I don't think it will work again, I think we will see we are now in for permanent shortages.”

and

"Some UK farmers have been told to throw away milk because of a shortage of lorry drivers to collect it, while one dairy logistics firm warned of a “collapse of parts of the supply chain”.

The National Farmers' Union (NFU) said that while most farms were "just about surviving" the current lack of drivers was unsustainable and urgent action was needed to prevent more serious problems with food deliveries"[vb]

Go back a month or so and you will recall righties telling us there were no shortages, and when it was seen there were.... they were temporary. Whereas the reality, coming from right across the board, is that the shortages are set to get worse, and will continue to do so.

The dismantling of Brexit needs to be accelerated. Another delay of checks on food imports in October is merely putting off dealing with the slow and systematic 'destruction' of UK business/trade.

"British food and drink exports to the EU fell by £2bn in the first three months of 2021, with sales of dairy products plummeting by 90%, according to an analysis of HMRC data.

“The loss of £2bn of exports to the EU is a disaster for our industry, and is a very clear indication of the scale of losses that UK manufacturers face in the longer-term due to new trade barriers with the EU,” said Dominic Goudie, the head of international trade at the Food and Drink Federation (FDF)."

And as seen, those markets are being lost permanently as EU businesses continue to source those goods from local suppliers. Easier and cheaper, as they now avoid the costly delays and red tape Brexit has imposed.

At a time when the UK has record numbers of food banks and food shortages in the shops, farmers are having to pour milk down the drain and let fruit/veg rot in the fields - all the time while producers are finding it increasingly difficult to sell into the EU. How many of the above will fold, handing business to the EU ?

Fishing, especially shellfish, have shown the way this brexit lunacy is taking the country. Week after week, the brexit lies are being exposed - at painful cost to us all.

And we come full circle.
Strange how you are now posting stuff that I said originally and you disagreed with
The current shortages in the supermarkets are down to the JIT method not having enough slack in the storage areas to be effective in the current world turmoil of covid, where supply lines are stretched.

And again for the umpteenth time, it's not a shortage of the products, it's a shortage of supply.

Oh wow, Amazon just announced they were going to pay for the further education of all 500k employees in the US. Why are they doing this good thing, you ask? Well it's because in the US most people would rather not have a manual labour or working class job but want to get better education.
So one of the biggest economies in the world is having a labour shortage, same reasons as the UK, which here as Harry told us as fact, is all the fault of Brexit, yes folks you heard it here first Brexit is now responsible for the labour problems in the US......(that last bit was sarcasm, just because I know you'd try to twist it out of context)

You should be aware we used to have to waste 1000's of tonnes of milk, grain, and other produce every single year, by being part of the EU. Due to the EU laws, literal mountains of produce had to be destroyed every year by most EU nations.
Despite people starving around the world, quotas and limits on production and sales to keep the EU economy stable across the whole of Europe meant so much had to be wasted, but that's ok.

What is the use of knowing about everything else, when you do not yet know who you are.

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 17:48 - Sep 10 with 935 viewsDerryfromBury

Exactly what I said on another (non football) forum last week.
Christmas Shortage Warnings on 20:46 - Sep 10 with 885 viewsHARRY10

"Lorry driver shortages have been blamed on EU workers leaving the UK following Brexit as well as during the pandemic and tax changes making it more expensive for drivers from elsewhere in Europe to work or be employed in the UK. "

Aha, but you can simply sort out their visa before it is available and make sure it is one which excludes the EU driver from the new UK red tape and taxes (see IR35).

Just as some did by offering to up minimum wage jobs from around £18,000 to over £25,000 so as to be able to add some points to the number needed for a visa. A Phd can also be added to speed things up

However away from that fanciful tosh, only the removal of all this red tape (4million extra forms per week) will offer a chance of getting some of the EU HGV drivers back. However the reality there is many will already have found work in the EU, if only moving goods within the EU that were once exported from the UK - £2 billion of them in the first quarter of 2021.

Up to Brexit recruiting in the EU was quite simple. The pay was roughly equivalent and it was no different driving from Munich to Manchester as it was Rotterdam to Rome. Then some cretins thought it would be a good idea to put in huge amounts of form filling and delay. Delay costs. HGV drivers stuck at Dover dealing with Brexit red tape are not earning - and haulage companies are finding it too much of a financial loss to cover that dead time.

A girl at Sainsburys told me this morning that they were trying to get staff in to unload goods which would normally have been unloaded and gone by around 6am. With just in time deliveries those goods (chilled) .would have gone straight out onto the shelves. Thankfully it is the perishable goods that are in short supply so there is little hoarding happening.

"Richard Burnett of the Road Haulage Association said the industry was losing 600 drivers a week and it would take nearly two years to fill the net shortfall ...... the insurance costs for new drivers are also much higher." [

The real crunch will come when hospitals and schools start to run short of supplies/food
Christmas Shortage Warnings on 22:03 - Sep 10 with 860 viewsBluedicea

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 20:46 - Sep 10 by HARRY10

"Lorry driver shortages have been blamed on EU workers leaving the UK following Brexit as well as during the pandemic and tax changes making it more expensive for drivers from elsewhere in Europe to work or be employed in the UK. "

Aha, but you can simply sort out their visa before it is available and make sure it is one which excludes the EU driver from the new UK red tape and taxes (see IR35).

Just as some did by offering to up minimum wage jobs from around £18,000 to over £25,000 so as to be able to add some points to the number needed for a visa. A Phd can also be added to speed things up

However away from that fanciful tosh, only the removal of all this red tape (4million extra forms per week) will offer a chance of getting some of the EU HGV drivers back. However the reality there is many will already have found work in the EU, if only moving goods within the EU that were once exported from the UK - £2 billion of them in the first quarter of 2021.

Up to Brexit recruiting in the EU was quite simple. The pay was roughly equivalent and it was no different driving from Munich to Manchester as it was Rotterdam to Rome. Then some cretins thought it would be a good idea to put in huge amounts of form filling and delay. Delay costs. HGV drivers stuck at Dover dealing with Brexit red tape are not earning - and haulage companies are finding it too much of a financial loss to cover that dead time.

A girl at Sainsburys told me this morning that they were trying to get staff in to unload goods which would normally have been unloaded and gone by around 6am. With just in time deliveries those goods (chilled) .would have gone straight out onto the shelves. Thankfully it is the perishable goods that are in short supply so there is little hoarding happening.

"Richard Burnett of the Road Haulage Association said the industry was losing 600 drivers a week and it would take nearly two years to fill the net shortfall ...... the insurance costs for new drivers are also much higher." [

The real crunch will come when hospitals and schools start to run short of supplies/food

I look for positives in life, you dwell on negatives.

Seeing as we can't change Brexit, we should get on with our lives and try to improve things in the future.

And one positive from this shortage, working class employees are going to be getting much better contracts and benefits, because scarcity means employers will do what they can to retain and increase their workforce.

In every negative there is a positive, and in every positive, a negative. It's all about how you look at life, whine and complain about the past, or work positively towards a better future.

What is the use of knowing about everything else, when you do not yet know who you are.

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 10:38 - Sep 11 with 791 viewsBluespeed225

Hopefully shortages of fireworks? Christmas should have been abolished years ago anyway, hopefully this will speed up that process. Hasn’t been any cop since Wizard were in the charts.
Christmas Shortage Warnings on 11:36 - Sep 11 with 774 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 22:03 - Sep 10 by Bluedicea

I look for positives in life, you dwell on negatives.

Seeing as we can't change Brexit, we should get on with our lives and try to improve things in the future.

And one positive from this shortage, working class employees are going to be getting much better contracts and benefits, because scarcity means employers will do what they can to retain and increase their workforce.

In every negative there is a positive, and in every positive, a negative. It's all about how you look at life, whine and complain about the past, or work positively towards a better future.

Spot on about focusing on the positives and not listening to all the doom and gloom merchants. This morning myself and hundreds of others had the 'flu jab'. According to the media these were all going to be delayed because of the shortage of lorry drivers!
Some folk just love a winge bless 'em - oh and Christmas will be fine, shortage of pigs in blankets - whatever will these doomsters dream up next.
Enjoy the match - now of to the pub (if the beer has not run out!)
Christmas Shortage Warnings on 12:17 - Sep 11 with 765 viewsRyorry

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 08:46 - Sep 5 by StochesStotasBlewe

This, this and thrice this.
Behind our sofa are a myriad of child’s toys. The grandson is 16 months old. He doesn’t play with any of them for more than a few minutes. He’s more interested in playing with the stones and gravel next to the patio. We may as well buy a bag of stones from Wickes and he’d be perfectly happy...but the missus is already getting “presents for baby boy” in readiness for the festive season. FFS, she even got tins of Quality Street and the like yesterday.

I dread and loathe Christmas nowadays and to be honest would be perfectly happy to feck off fishing until it’s all done and dusted.

Best prezzie Dad ever gave me & me bro (age maybe about 8 & 10) was a hammer, nails & some surplus wood. That was fun!

And I really hate Christmas - non-stop stupid music, all your fav radio & TV progs replaced with dross, friends all gone away to rellies who they spend the rest of the year moaning about. Best thing about it is 00.01 on Boxing Day, when sport & a semblance of 'normality' returns.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 22:18 - Sep 23 with 646 viewsSwansea_Blue

I realise some people have much bigger worries this winter, but maybe good to get your turkey order in early.

Anyone know where this farm is? Somewhere in mid-Essex apparently.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 22:45 - Sep 23 with 613 viewsHARRY10

What is sickening, after hearing the words of someone in the industry, is the weasel words spouted on here and elsewhere by the quizlings and the apologists.

They will have that it needs only the 'lazy' UK folk to take up these jobs (and elsewhere) and all will be well. No need for experience, or relevant qualifications. Just leave your council house in 'the north' and travel down to Essex, as simple as that.

Whereas only the thick as sht brexiteers would imagine that implementing rules that stopped the bulk of those workers from entering the UK (£25,000 plus wage requirement) would have an effect on the numbers able to come to the UK.

Why there are folk all too willing to spew out lies on behalf of their betters, only they will know. Brexit was little more than one giant forelock tugging, cap doffing exercise in subservience by those resentful of the folk who do not feel they have a need to 'know their place'.
Christmas Shortage Warnings on 02:32 - Sep 24 with 567 viewsBluedicea

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 22:45 - Sep 23 by HARRY10

What is sickening, after hearing the words of someone in the industry, is the weasel words spouted on here and elsewhere by the quizlings and the apologists.

They will have that it needs only the 'lazy' UK folk to take up these jobs (and elsewhere) and all will be well. No need for experience, or relevant qualifications. Just leave your council house in 'the north' and travel down to Essex, as simple as that.

Whereas only the thick as sht brexiteers would imagine that implementing rules that stopped the bulk of those workers from entering the UK (£25,000 plus wage requirement) would have an effect on the numbers able to come to the UK.

Why there are folk all too willing to spew out lies on behalf of their betters, only they will know. Brexit was little more than one giant forelock tugging, cap doffing exercise in subservience by those resentful of the folk who do not feel they have a need to 'know their place'.

You have a real obsession with social status, don't you, talking about betters all the time. Most people in this country don't have betters, we just get on with our lives, we adapt to the challenges of life, we don't whine and cry about everything we don't like.

You are now contradicting yourself.

You said, before brexit it was easy to travel for work between Munich and Manchester as it was from Rotterdam to Rome.
Then you implied it was difficult to travel from the north to Essex
So what are you saying it's ok to expect foreigners to travel long distance for work but not ok for British people?
And why are you calling people that don't work 'lazy'? That's just stereotyping people. Personally I think it's a good thing people have aspirations but theystillneed to be practical. I know if I lost my job tomorrow I'd do any job I could to earn a living until I could find the right place for me, even if it involves travelling, because I learned to work hard to provide for my family and would never let them go short because I'm too 'elitist' to do a job I don't like.

Harry you are a joke, mate.

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 06:49 - Sep 24 with 530 viewsGlasgowBlue

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 22:45 - Sep 23 by HARRY10

Another rant against working class people from the north of England Harry?

You’re just an awful rightie.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 12:25 - Sep 24 with 464 viewscatch74

Found this interesting and to the point, apologies if already added - didn’t have time to go through whole thread. Adds to the mainstream media concerns of a previous thread too.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 12:31 - Sep 24 with 459 viewscatch74

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 22:18 - Sep 23 by Swansea_Blue

I realise some people have much bigger worries this winter, but maybe good to get your turkey order in early.

Anyone know where this farm is? Somewhere in mid-Essex apparently.

Apologies Swansea, you gobbled that one up first.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 12:31 - Sep 24 with 459 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

Christmas Shortage Warnings on 12:25 - Sep 24 by catch74

Found this interesting and to the point, apologies if already added - didn’t have time to go through whole thread. Adds to the mainstream media concerns of a previous thread too.

Oh dear, have to eat chicken instead! Now let us wait and revisit this after Christmas and found out how many folks that wanted Turkey could not get one.
The best way of selling your product is to tell everyone there is a shortage!
I've never seen a farmer on a boike....
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024