Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A reflective piece on England’s black cricketers 11:00 - Sep 4 with 1002 viewsSteve_M

Worth a read certainly:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/sep/04/i-just-sat-there-thinking-im-a-cri

And an accompanying photo thread:

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2021/sep/04/englands-black-cric

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

A reflective piece on England’s black cricketers on 11:16 - Sep 4 with 965 viewsBlueBadger

Had a skim and it looks a cracking read, that.

I'll give a proper look once I've been out with the dog.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

A reflective piece on England’s black cricketers on 11:29 - Sep 4 with 948 viewsJakeITFC

The first part of Mark Butcher’s documentary that aired at lunch yesterday well worth a watch too (as will the second and third parts airing this weekend I’m sure).
A reflective piece on England’s black cricketers on 11:48 - Sep 4 with 921 viewsSteve_M

A reflective piece on England’s black cricketers on 11:29 - Sep 4 by JakeITFC

The first part of Mark Butcher’s documentary that aired at lunch yesterday well worth a watch too (as will the second and third parts airing this weekend I’m sure).

I only saw a bit of that, need to catch up on it today.

https://www.skysports.com/share/12398353

A reflective piece on England’s black cricketers on 18:50 - Sep 4 with 803 viewsRadlett_blue

I would guess that the near total absence of cricket from State schools would have had a lot to do with the now rarity of England players of Afro-Caribbean heritage.
The revelations from Azeem Rafiq about the racism he encountered at Yorkshire were scary & I'm sure it wasn't only happening in Yorkshire.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

A reflective piece on England’s black cricketers on 21:18 - Sep 4 with 760 viewsBluespeed225

A reflective piece on England’s black cricketers on 11:29 - Sep 4 by JakeITFC

Butcher was on The ’Modcast’ podcast a couple of months ago, very interesting views on why more black lads didn’t pursue cricket.
A reflective piece on England’s black cricketers on 21:25 - Sep 4 with 752 viewsNthsuffolkblue

A reflective piece on England’s black cricketers on 18:50 - Sep 4 by Radlett_blue

I would guess that the near total absence of cricket from State schools would have had a lot to do with the now rarity of England players of Afro-Caribbean heritage.
The revelations from Azeem Rafiq about the racism he encountered at Yorkshire were scary & I'm sure it wasn't only happening in Yorkshire.

Which then begs further questions about white privilege and private education.

There was also a moment that they pointed out that Geoff Greenidge in 1973 was the last white cricketer to represent the West Indies. This then made me wonder what percentage of West Indians would be white.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

A reflective piece on England’s black cricketers on 21:34 - Sep 4 with 746 viewsNthsuffolkblue

A great gallery.

Comments from Lynch, De Freitas and Syd Lawrence really noteworthy.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2021 21:35]

A reflective piece on England’s black cricketers on 22:21 - Sep 4 with 723 viewsLord_Lucan

A reflective piece on England’s black cricketers on 21:18 - Sep 4 by Bluespeed225

Butcher was on The ’Modcast’ podcast a couple of months ago, very interesting views on why more black lads didn’t pursue cricket.

Is that still going - with Eddie Piller?

I thought that finished years ago.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Login to get fewer ads

A reflective piece on England’s black cricketers on 22:26 - Sep 4 with 721 viewsSteve_M

A reflective piece on England’s black cricketers on 21:34 - Sep 4 by Nthsuffolkblue

A great gallery.

Comments from Lynch, De Freitas and Syd Lawrence really noteworthy.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2021 21:35]

Just seen this, which is great too:

A reflective piece on England’s black cricketers on 22:43 - Sep 4 with 699 viewsMelford

A reflective piece on England’s black cricketers on 22:26 - Sep 4 by Steve_M

Just seen this, which is great too:

I remember watching when Syd Lawrence did his knee in the very early days of Sky away in New Zealand. He was basically done then, it was horrible to watch. You had a few black cricketers back then for England, Chris Lewis, Gladstone Small, Phil deFreitas, Devon Malcolm. At the same time Black cricket has fallen away, Asian cricket has really flourished. Hameed, Moeen, Adil Rashid, Samit Patel, Panesar, Mahmood, Bopara.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

A reflective piece on England’s black cricketers on 22:47 - Sep 4 with 693 viewsCharlie_pl_baxter

A reflective piece on England’s black cricketers on 18:50 - Sep 4 by Radlett_blue

I happen to work for a charity (Chance to Shine) that delivers cricket in about a quarter of all state primary schools. Still a lot more to be done but we are trying!

We also see a huge disparity between the likelihood of children from more deprived backgrounds and more privileged backgrounds to progress within cricket. Our Street cricket programme also gives a lot of these young people the opportunity to play.

Poll: We recruit two strikers, one has to be Bonne or Wickham, who would you have?

A reflective piece on England’s black cricketers on 22:51 - Sep 4 with 691 viewsNthsuffolkblue

A reflective piece on England’s black cricketers on 22:43 - Sep 4 by Melford

I remember watching when Syd Lawrence did his knee in the very early days of Sky away in New Zealand. He was basically done then, it was horrible to watch. You had a few black cricketers back then for England, Chris Lewis, Gladstone Small, Phil deFreitas, Devon Malcolm. At the same time Black cricket has fallen away, Asian cricket has really flourished. Hameed, Moeen, Adil Rashid, Samit Patel, Panesar, Mahmood, Bopara.

That is interesting. It would also fit with the idea that lower black representation in private schools has a large part to play. Without any data on it, I would suspect Asian representation in private schools is somewhat higher.

This leaves 2 issues to address. One, getting a fairer representation of black children in private education. Two, getting state schools playing cricket.

A reflective piece on England’s black cricketers on 23:03 - Sep 4 with 664 viewsSteve_M

Yes, that’s clearly a part of the reason. I think the Butcher documentary on Sky will look at that in part 3 from what he implied today.

That Yorkshire are seemingly unable or unwilling to publish the results of the racism review is, in itself, damming of too much of the sport.
[Post edited 5 Sep 2021 10:27]

A reflective piece on England’s black cricketers on 23:10 - Sep 4 with 642 viewsMelford

A reflective piece on England’s black cricketers on 22:51 - Sep 4 by Nthsuffolkblue

That is interesting. It would also fit with the idea that lower black representation in private schools has a large part to play. Without any data on it, I would suspect Asian representation in private schools is somewhat higher.

This leaves 2 issues to address. One, getting a fairer representation of black children in private education. Two, getting state schools playing cricket.

I think a lot of it is the black cricketers who came through in the 80s like the one I mentioned were first generation. Their parents had come over from the Caribbean and had cricket ingrained into them, came over here and set their own teams up where those boys came through. As the older guys dropped off there was no new blood coming through, to play for and more importantly run the teams. When teams in London sign up footballers younger and younger and chucking them into their academies, even if you are a decent young cricketer you'd sack it all off and never face/bowl a ball again if you got a football contract.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

A reflective piece on England’s black cricketers on 08:30 - Sep 5 with 539 viewsIpswichKnight

A reflective piece on England’s black cricketers on 21:25 - Sep 4 by Nthsuffolkblue

Which then begs further questions about white privilege and private education.

There was also a moment that they pointed out that Geoff Greenidge in 1973 was the last white cricketer to represent the West Indies. This then made me wonder what percentage of West Indians would be white.

I’m not sure that’s correct I can remember at least 2 who have played recently for the Windies. Josh Da Silva played in the last test they played.
A reflective piece on England’s black cricketers on 08:54 - Sep 5 with 522 viewsBluespeed225

A reflective piece on England’s black cricketers on 22:21 - Sep 4 by Lord_Lucan

Is that still going - with Eddie Piller?

I thought that finished years ago.

Still going, part of Totally Wired radio. Some interesting guests of late. Butcher put an album out on Acid Jazz a few years ago. AJ were sponsors at Surrey and, I think, the Holioake brother who passed away.
A reflective piece on England’s black cricketers on 13:10 - Sep 5 with 474 viewsbournemouthblue

A reflective piece on England’s black cricketers on 08:30 - Sep 5 by IpswichKnight

I’m not sure that’s correct I can remember at least 2 who have played recently for the Windies. Josh Da Silva played in the last test they played.

That's the guy, he's a wicket keeper

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

A reflective piece on England’s black cricketers on 14:01 - Sep 5 with 457 viewsgainsboroughblue

A reflective piece on England’s black cricketers on 08:30 - Sep 5 by IpswichKnight

Brendon Nash was the other. Played for a few years 2007 ish onwards.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

A reflective piece on England’s black cricketers on 14:16 - Sep 5 with 447 viewsSteve_M

That was as of 1995 when Wisden Cricket Monthly published a distinctly racist piece questioning England’s black players.

Not that that attitude seemed much different to that of Ray Illingworth who was England coach at the time.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024