Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
368 required 16:22 - Sep 5 with 1789 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Achievable on this pitch but can still see us losing by over 250.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

368 required on 16:26 - Sep 5 with 1767 viewsSteve_M

England failed to press home when ahead on Day 2 and’s then some very good batting, missed chances and, I think, the absence of Wood have let India build a big lead.

The pitch is still pretty decent but England need the openers to build a platform today. Its highly unlikely and India have probably got 100 more than we can chase.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

368 required on 16:29 - Sep 5 with 1757 viewsNthsuffolkblue

368 required on 16:26 - Sep 5 by Steve_M

England failed to press home when ahead on Day 2 and’s then some very good batting, missed chances and, I think, the absence of Wood have let India build a big lead.

The pitch is still pretty decent but England need the openers to build a platform today. Its highly unlikely and India have probably got 100 more than we can chase.

Sky have just shown that 362 is our record successful chase.

It is unusual to have sufficient time to chase down these higher totals.

As you say, a lot rests on our opening partnership and I am not sure they are up to it when under pressure.

368 required on 16:30 - Sep 5 with 1752 viewsgainsboroughblue

368 required on 16:29 - Sep 5 by Nthsuffolkblue

Sky have just shown that 362 is our record successful chase.

It is unusual to have sufficient time to chase down these higher totals.

As you say, a lot rests on our opening partnership and I am not sure they are up to it when under pressure.

And under pressure they will be. India have the luxury of being able to set some quite challenging fields.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

368 required on 16:34 - Sep 5 with 1731 viewsFtnfwest

Not a chance. Even a good side would struggle big time to get anywhere near that.
368 required on 16:37 - Sep 5 with 1723 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Interesting to note that WinViz still has the draw ahead of an England win. I guess India could easily close down scoring with some defensive bowling if they felt they couldn't get the win and needed to prevent the loss.

368 required on 18:57 - Sep 5 with 1648 viewsChrisd

If England lose this test then they all need to seriously have a look at themselves. The way the pitch is playing there’s no way that they should lose 10 wickets in a day on this track, 5th day or not. The most likely result looks a draw, an excellent opening partnership from Burns and Hameed, need them to keep going tomorrow morning.
[Post edited 5 Sep 2021 19:10]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

368 required on 19:39 - Sep 5 with 1577 viewsSteve_M

368 required on 18:57 - Sep 5 by Chrisd

If England lose this test then they all need to seriously have a look at themselves. The way the pitch is playing there’s no way that they should lose 10 wickets in a day on this track, 5th day or not. The most likely result looks a draw, an excellent opening partnership from Burns and Hameed, need them to keep going tomorrow morning.
[Post edited 5 Sep 2021 19:10]

Get through the first hour tomorrow and then it’ll all be about the second new ball. It’s been a good Test match, good but flawed as both sides kept letting the other of the hook.

Definitely looks like 270-odd would have been chasable.

368 required on 20:14 - Sep 5 with 1524 viewsChrisd

368 required on 19:39 - Sep 5 by Steve_M

Get through the first hour tomorrow and then it’ll all be about the second new ball. It’s been a good Test match, good but flawed as both sides kept letting the other of the hook.

Definitely looks like 270-odd would have been chasable.

This series has been a great and intriguing watch, it’s ebbed and flowed with neither side looking overly superior. It’ll be ideal if we head into the 5th test still locked at 1-1. With all England’s injuries and players missing for various reasons they have certainly dug in and given the Indians a tough examination. This series has shown once again test match cricket is still by far the best format of the game.

Login to get fewer ads

368 required on 21:02 - Sep 5 with 1463 viewsMelford

368 required on 20:14 - Sep 5 by Chrisd

This series has been a great and intriguing watch, it’s ebbed and flowed with neither side looking overly superior. It’ll be ideal if we head into the 5th test still locked at 1-1. With all England’s injuries and players missing for various reasons they have certainly dug in and given the Indians a tough examination. This series has shown once again test match cricket is still by far the best format of the game.

Having Mondays and Tuesdays off occasionally have their benefits. Looking forward to an interesting day's cricket tomorrow, day five with a good weather forecast and all 4 results on the table. Test cricket is the still the pinnacle for me, especially when it's played like this. Two top teams going at each other hammer and tongs.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

368 required on 21:07 - Sep 5 with 1456 viewsAce_High1

We should be able to do it, but this is England so expect a collapse and us to be 185 all out around 2pm.
368 required on 05:58 - Sep 6 with 1317 viewsCoastalblue

368 required on 21:07 - Sep 5 by Ace_High1

We should be able to do it, but this is England so expect a collapse and us to be 185 all out around 2pm.

Exactly this, will probably be a typical England run chase in the 4th. We'll even look serene for a while today I expect, cruising along. There'll be a couple of quick wickets and we'll think it's started, then somebody (Root?) will steady the ship and we'll look fine again before losing their wicket and the rest go down like a house of cards.

Unless we get within about 20 with at least 4 wickets to spare I don't think I'll even be able to get excited about our chances, including of grabbing the draw.

On the flip side, the Indians also seem to lose it a bit when pressure starts to come back on them.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

368 required on 06:45 - Sep 6 with 1300 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Just had a chunky bet on India DNB (Draw no bet) at 4/5.

I’d suggest even on this pitch England winning is not particularly likely and should be the outsider of three in the market in my opinion. As it’s not, I’ve backed India with the useful sidenote of the bet being voided if it ends in a draw.

It’s England, even if we’re batting on a road, we’re not chasing now a chasing National record with this batting lineup. On day 5. It’s just not happening in my opinion.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

368 required on 08:13 - Sep 6 with 1234 viewsIpswichKnight

It’s as flat as anything and India have for some reason known only to Kholi and Ravi Sastri left out the best spin bowler in the world currently and decided to play 4 right arm fast medium and a part time spinner. Ash win in the side and we’d be looking at a loss. Chances are we will still lose but we have a shot at a draw.

We made some selection howlers too flogged Anderson for a game too many and Overton is never going to be test match class no matter how many goes he gets. You need something different on this pitch pace or spin we should have played both Wood and Mahmood. We’ll have to play Wood at Old Trafford it will be a far quicker pitch.

Another conversation Anderson has only taken 7 wickets in 2nd Innings since 2018 and 3 of those were in one game in Chennai can we really afford that much longer?
368 required on 09:32 - Sep 6 with 1170 viewsbournemouthblue

You never know with this batting line up, Root is going to be key

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

368 required on 14:20 - Sep 6 with 1091 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

368 required on 06:45 - Sep 6 by The_Romford_Blue

Just had a chunky bet on India DNB (Draw no bet) at 4/5.

I’d suggest even on this pitch England winning is not particularly likely and should be the outsider of three in the market in my opinion. As it’s not, I’ve backed India with the useful sidenote of the bet being voided if it ends in a draw.

It’s England, even if we’re batting on a road, we’re not chasing now a chasing National record with this batting lineup. On day 5. It’s just not happening in my opinion.

England collapse - imagine my shock

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

368 required on 15:47 - Sep 6 with 1045 viewsChrisd

368 required on 14:20 - Sep 6 by The_Romford_Blue

England collapse - imagine my shock

Got to say, this batting effort from England is hugely disappointing. There's no way they should lose this test and yet under the slightest bit of pressure they fold like a pack of cards. Look at that middle order, just nothing and after being 100-0 earlier in the day!!! Simply pitiful.

368 required on 15:51 - Sep 6 with 1035 viewsitfcjoe

368 required on 15:47 - Sep 6 by Chrisd

Got to say, this batting effort from England is hugely disappointing. There's no way they should lose this test and yet under the slightest bit of pressure they fold like a pack of cards. Look at that middle order, just nothing and after being 100-0 earlier in the day!!! Simply pitiful.

There was never any way we were going to survive today - how often have we batted a full day on day 5 in our history - you can probably count them on the fingers of one hand in the last 20 years when in a position where pressure is going to be exerted

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

368 required on 15:56 - Sep 6 with 1019 viewsReuser_is_God

Poor batting today but probably not as poor as it was in the 1sr innings.

To only get a lead of 99 at The Oval after bowling the opponent out for 191 just isn't enough on that pitch. We didn't make the most of conditions being at their best.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

368 required on 16:03 - Sep 6 with 1006 viewsChrisd

368 required on 15:51 - Sep 6 by itfcjoe

There was never any way we were going to survive today - how often have we batted a full day on day 5 in our history - you can probably count them on the fingers of one hand in the last 20 years when in a position where pressure is going to be exerted

The way the pitch was playing last night and even during this morning's session when we were 100-0 there was no excuse that we weren't able to at least earn a draw. I was never expecting us to win today, too many runs to chase, but to fold like a pack of cards on a decent batting track is woeful - 5th day or not.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2021 16:07]

368 required on 16:06 - Sep 6 with 992 viewsChrisd

368 required on 15:56 - Sep 6 by Reuser_is_God

Poor batting today but probably not as poor as it was in the 1sr innings.

To only get a lead of 99 at The Oval after bowling the opponent out for 191 just isn't enough on that pitch. We didn't make the most of conditions being at their best.

That's a fair point. Also, it got away from us on that 3rd day with India's resolute batting to set the platform for their 2nd innings total.

368 required on 16:22 - Sep 6 with 963 viewsSteve_M

368 required on 16:03 - Sep 6 by Chrisd

The way the pitch was playing last night and even during this morning's session when we were 100-0 there was no excuse that we weren't able to at least earn a draw. I was never expecting us to win today, too many runs to chase, but to fold like a pack of cards on a decent batting track is woeful - 5th day or not.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2021 16:07]

I think you have to give some credit to the bowlers, Bumrah especially after lunch. England should have done much better but he was superb in that spell.

Not sure Root really knew what his best options were yesterday afternoon, although I think England may regret not rotating Anderson for this Test as he wasn't quite on it in the first innings and will be knackered for Friday now.

368 required on 16:26 - Sep 6 with 953 viewsChrisd

368 required on 16:22 - Sep 6 by Steve_M

I think you have to give some credit to the bowlers, Bumrah especially after lunch. England should have done much better but he was superb in that spell.

Not sure Root really knew what his best options were yesterday afternoon, although I think England may regret not rotating Anderson for this Test as he wasn't quite on it in the first innings and will be knackered for Friday now.

Yes, fair point about their bowlers a little sour grapes on my part, but when our batsmen have a bit of pressure applied we can’t cope and yes we should’ve done far better you’re right there Steve!
[Post edited 6 Sep 2021 16:35]

368 required on 17:05 - Sep 6 with 901 viewsCoastalblue

Well none of us saw that coming did we?

Erm

They bowled well but we only have ourselves to blame, if we could hold a few catches and apply a bit better in the first innings wo wouldn't be needing 350+ on the last day, sadly not an unusual England performance full of what ifs.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

368 required on 18:43 - Sep 6 with 860 viewsIpswichKnight

368 required on 16:26 - Sep 6 by Chrisd

Yes, fair point about their bowlers a little sour grapes on my part, but when our batsmen have a bit of pressure applied we can’t cope and yes we should’ve done far better you’re right there Steve!
[Post edited 6 Sep 2021 16:35]

Old Trafford is now normally the quickest pitch in England it can get a bit spicy ( remember playing Pakistan on one that was rock hard and Harmison, Jones and Flintoff gave them a proper going over ). I’d rotate in Wood for Anderson and play Mahmood for Overton.

Not sure we can do much more with the batting.
368 required on 22:48 - Sep 6 with 789 viewsMelford

368 required on 18:43 - Sep 6 by IpswichKnight

Old Trafford is now normally the quickest pitch in England it can get a bit spicy ( remember playing Pakistan on one that was rock hard and Harmison, Jones and Flintoff gave them a proper going over ). I’d rotate in Wood for Anderson and play Mahmood for Overton.

Not sure we can do much more with the batting.

I'd get Parkinson in, this pitch has been a spinner's goldmine late on this season, this is his home ground. I'd be tempted to swap Mo Ali with Liam Livingstone, in the form in his life with ball and bat.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024