Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Things I’ve learnt since learning to drive. 14:17 - Sep 6 with 3577 viewsMattinLondon

Around ten months ago I learnt to drive - very late in life compared to most people. Anyway, whilst reflecting on this and being surprised that I haven’t crashed I’ve learnt a few things about which I dislike or tolerant about driving. Things I didn’t think twice about before I passed. I’m no particular order I’ve learnt that….

1. I’ve now developed a strong dislike for people who load their cars up in supermarket car parks but then can’t be bothered to actually wheel the trolley back to the trolley park. But instead simply leave it in an adjacent parking space not caring that that space is needed by others.

2. Anyone who claims that they suffer from road rage is a bell end.

3. There’s no such thing as road rage.

4. A lot of people with massive cars don’t actually know how big their cars are especially at junctions where the front of their car overhangs the adjoining road.

5. Most people are actually quite patient when behind the wheel.

Just wondered what new life skills others have learnt after developing a new skill or maybe even a new change in circumstance?
Things I’ve learnt since learning to drive. on 14:49 - Sep 6 with 1996 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I'm with you on 4, although I've always thought they do know they just don't care that you have to go round them (especially if cycling) or they're just trying to force their way out.

With regards to 2 and 3, you haven't been driving long enough fella.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Things I’ve learnt since learning to drive. on 14:56 - Sep 6 with 1967 viewsMattinLondon

Things I’ve learnt since learning to drive. on 14:49 - Sep 6 by The_Flashing_Smile

I'm with you on 4, although I've always thought they do know they just don't care that you have to go round them (especially if cycling) or they're just trying to force their way out.

With regards to 2 and 3, you haven't been driving long enough fella.

Nah, road rage is for angry people who lack patience.
Things I’ve learnt since learning to drive. on 14:56 - Sep 6 with 1964 viewsStenvict

What I find with driving is, it's all about confidence. I see so many drivers concentrating so much on their actual driving that they forget basic things, mainly moving over into the inside lane on a motorway when not overtaking. The same can be said for coming up to roundabouts, check as you come up to it, don't stop and look around.

Poll: What will be announced first?

Things I’ve learnt since learning to drive. on 14:58 - Sep 6 with 1957 viewsPrideOfTheEast

The more you drive the more you'll realise that the quality of driving differs dramatically depending on where you are. I cannot believe some of the driving near me in SE London (terrible).
Things I’ve learnt since learning to drive. on 15:03 - Sep 6 with 1935 viewsEwan_Oozami

6. Everyone thinks they're a better than average driver...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Things I’ve learnt since learning to drive. on 15:08 - Sep 6 with 1912 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Things I’ve learnt since learning to drive. on 14:56 - Sep 6 by Stenvict

What I find with driving is, it's all about confidence. I see so many drivers concentrating so much on their actual driving that they forget basic things, mainly moving over into the inside lane on a motorway when not overtaking. The same can be said for coming up to roundabouts, check as you come up to it, don't stop and look around.

100%. Probably because the lessons are typically all about passing the test and the test is a bit of a joke really (although getting better apparently).
Things I’ve learnt since learning to drive. on 15:12 - Sep 6 with 1892 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Things I’ve learnt since learning to drive. on 14:56 - Sep 6 by MattinLondon

As I say, at 10 months you haven't been driving long enough to comment. I certainly felt like you in the early stages. Come back in a couple of years and you'll be getting angry at idiots like the rest of us.

Things I’ve learnt since learning to drive. on 15:14 - Sep 6 with 1887 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Things I’ve learnt since learning to drive. on 15:03 - Sep 6 by Ewan_Oozami

The easy way to check is to look at how many RTAs you've been involved in. In 15 years of driving I've not had a single one, so I think I'm decently placed to say I'm a better than average driver.

Login to get fewer ads

Things I’ve learnt since learning to drive. on 15:17 - Sep 6 with 1877 viewsjaykay

i have found my car has a magnate that attracts other cars.
1 parking in a car park ,i usually park well away from any cars, but when i return ,the car park can be empty apart 2 cars parked either side of mine. leaving hardly any room to oper my car door.
2. driving along a single carriage way ,other cars always seem to well over white line on my side of the road. either they dont want scratch their passage side door on the vegetation or they think they are driving a bus.
but i think its the hidden magnate drawing cars to mine.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Things I’ve learnt since learning to drive. on 15:18 - Sep 6 with 1872 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

Ha, you will learn in time grasshopper.
Things I’ve learnt since learning to drive. on 15:19 - Sep 6 with 1866 viewsMattinLondon

Things I’ve learnt since learning to drive. on 15:12 - Sep 6 by The_Flashing_Smile

As I say, at 10 months you haven't been driving long enough to comment. I certainly felt like you in the early stages. Come back in a couple of years and you'll be getting angry at idiots like the rest of us.

I don’t mean general frustration or waving hands at disbelief towards someone pulling out in front of you without looking.

But rather, the people who beep their horns and then shout out abuse at the top of their voices and then claiming road rage. Hasn’t happened to me since I’ve passed. But certainly when I was learning their were complete morons who drive far too close to me despite quite clearly being a learner.
Things I’ve learnt since learning to drive. on 15:21 - Sep 6 with 1841 viewsSimonds92

Come back when you've had a near miss caused by other drivers stupidity, got stuck behind 2 lorries doing 57.8 and 58mph for 5 miles plus or got stuck behind an idiot in the outside lane not overtaking anything.
6. Never trust cyclists at junctions..... on 15:22 - Sep 6 with 1840 viewsBloots

....in fact, never trust a cyclist.

They are just wronguns.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Things I’ve learnt since learning to drive. on 15:23 - Sep 6 with 1825 viewsMattinLondon

Things I’ve learnt since learning to drive. on 15:08 - Sep 6 by PrideOfTheEast

100%. Probably because the lessons are typically all about passing the test and the test is a bit of a joke really (although getting better apparently).

Compared to ten or twenty years ago the rest is far harder to pass. But, you’re probably right that it is all about passing - I do find it strange that someone can pass today and then happily zoom around on a busy fast motorway all by themselves without any experience whatsoever.
We wouldn't expect anything else Dolly.... on 15:24 - Sep 6 with 1825 viewsBloots

Things I’ve learnt since learning to drive. on 15:14 - Sep 6 by The_Flashing_Smile

The easy way to check is to look at how many RTAs you've been involved in. In 15 years of driving I've not had a single one, so I think I'm decently placed to say I'm a better than average driver.

....you are just brilliant at absolutely everything.

And also never wrong, which is quite a formidable combination.

Well done.

Things I’ve learnt since learning to drive. on 15:24 - Sep 6 with 1816 viewsMattinLondon

Things I’ve learnt since learning to drive. on 15:21 - Sep 6 by Simonds92

Come back when you've had a near miss caused by other drivers stupidity, got stuck behind 2 lorries doing 57.8 and 58mph for 5 miles plus or got stuck behind an idiot in the outside lane not overtaking anything.

I wouldn’t say that that was road race as such.
7. Mini Roundabouts..... on 15:25 - Sep 6 with 1819 viewsBloots

6. Never trust cyclists at junctions..... on 15:22 - Sep 6 by Bloots

....in fact, never trust a cyclist.

They are just wronguns.

....remain a mystery to a lot of drivers.

Particularly if they are over 60.

Or female (there I've said it)

Things I’ve learnt since learning to drive. on 15:29 - Sep 6 with 1795 viewsnorfsufblue

On single track roads you always seem to meet oncoming traffic at the narrowest point !
Things I’ve learnt since learning to drive. on 15:33 - Sep 6 with 1760 viewsSwansea_Blue

Things I’ve learnt since learning to drive. on 15:21 - Sep 6 by Simonds92

I'd say you're proving his point quite nicely!

Research on whether driving more aggressively or more quickly saves any journey time and the results seem to show it's negligible at best. Unless it's over very long journeys, any gains from lane hopping, speeding and the like are likely to be wiped out by congestion and traffic lights. And even over long journeys, getting stuck behind a lorry doing 60 on a dual carriageway for 10 minutes is going to make very little difference.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Things I’ve learnt since learning to drive. on 15:33 - Sep 6 with 1760 viewsWD19

Things I’ve learnt since learning to drive. on 15:03 - Sep 6 by Ewan_Oozami

If they don't live in the London Borough of Harrow they might be right. Pretty much all of the below average drivers reside there in my experience.
We wouldn't expect anything else Dolly.... on 15:34 - Sep 6 with 1747 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

We wouldn't expect anything else Dolly.... on 15:24 - Sep 6 by Bloots

....you are just brilliant at absolutely everything.

And also never wrong, which is quite a formidable combination.

Well done.

This is all in your head Blootsy baby. I've never claimed to be brilliant at anything particularly, and certainly not everything. And have admitted being wrong on many occasions.

Not driving though, I'm the nuts at that.

7. Mini Roundabouts..... on 15:35 - Sep 6 with 1732 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

7. Mini Roundabouts..... on 15:25 - Sep 6 by Bloots

....remain a mystery to a lot of drivers.

Particularly if they are over 60.

Or female (there I've said it)

Hello Mr. Clarkson.

Things I’ve learnt since learning to drive. on 15:38 - Sep 6 with 1719 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Things I’ve learnt since learning to drive. on 15:14 - Sep 6 by The_Flashing_Smile

A lot of that is dictated by the area you live in. If you live on the moon, you can expect fewer collisions.

Worst accident I ever had was on the M4 when I hit the tyre and part of the axel that had been left in lane three by a car that had hit the central reservation 10 seconds before I arrived on the scene.

All the airbags deployed, let me tell you, those side airbags? They're not airbags, they're death curtains. When you're side on on a motorway having to peek under them to see if its safe to exit the car, or if you are about to be ploughed into by a Tesco's lorry.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Things I’ve learnt since learning to drive. on 15:40 - Sep 6 with 1709 viewsSuperblue95

People who park at the pumps in petrol stations who aren’t getting petrol or diesel should be put down

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Things I’ve learnt since learning to drive. on 15:41 - Sep 6 with 1699 viewsgiant_stow

I suffered from road rage when I'd just passed the test. This was knocked out of me when on being cut up one day and giving the offender the wvnker sign, I hit the curb and bust a tyre. Humiliation trumps anger.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024