Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Energy bills 15:14 - Sep 6 with 4044 viewshype313

Anyone else's gone through the roof?

I pay around £150 per month and my DD is going up to £350, It's not like I live in Glemham Hall either!

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Energy bills on 15:18 - Sep 6 with 3598 viewsJakeITFC

Electricity prices in general are going through the roof - day-ahead baseload for today traded at nearly £220/MWh yesterday, the highest that product has ever traded at.
Energy bills on 15:25 - Sep 6 with 3554 viewshype313

Energy bills on 15:18 - Sep 6 by JakeITFC

Electricity prices in general are going through the roof - day-ahead baseload for today traded at nearly £220/MWh yesterday, the highest that product has ever traded at.

It's bonkers, might have to go back to candles and books.

Energy bills on 15:28 - Sep 6 with 3539 viewsgeg1992

That seems ridiculous! I'm only in a 2 bed but pay £40 per month elec and gas, was as low as £25 before covid.

Poll: Who would you play in place of Burns on Sunday?

Energy bills on 15:31 - Sep 6 with 3515 viewsbelgablue

Energy bills on 15:25 - Sep 6 by hype313

It's bonkers, might have to go back to candles and books.

Has gone baserk. Have rented my flat out to someone while I change jobs / countries with all bills included. Thought it was a good idea at the time but prices seem to keep going up every month - I can’t wait for the tenancy to finish so I can change it!

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

Energy bills on 15:32 - Sep 6 with 3504 viewsHARRY10

I currently pay approx 12p per unit - deal runs until March 2022

Anyone who was on a variable deal is being clobbered - and some deservedly so, as the times I have asked folk how much per unit they pay, and they look at me blankly
Energy bills on 15:41 - Sep 6 with 3461 viewshype313

Energy bills on 15:32 - Sep 6 by HARRY10

Anyone who was on a variable deal is being clobbered - and some deservedly so, as the times I have asked folk how much per unit they pay, and they look at me blankly

My current seal is 12p per unit, cheapest new unit is 19p going forward

Energy bills on 15:48 - Sep 6 with 3423 viewsHARRY10

Energy bills on 15:31 - Sep 6 by belgablue

Has gone baserk. Have rented my flat out to someone while I change jobs / countries with all bills included. Thought it was a good idea at the time but prices seem to keep going up every month - I can’t wait for the tenancy to finish so I can change it!

eh ?

as you are paying the bill then you are able to change the supplier

be warned though, that comparison sites are usually farken useless as they will bleat about how much the average cost is/will be etc - meaningless shyte

you are charged by unit - so to compare you need to know unit and daily charge price.... that is hidden away

£150 seems extraordinary per month, and why would a rise of 50% incur a D/D rise of well over 100%
Energy bills on 15:50 - Sep 6 with 3419 viewsSwansea_Blue

I suspect I've been buffered a bit against leccy rises because we've got solar panels. But I have been getting letters from Ovo saying prices are going to go up again.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Energy bills on 16:10 - Sep 6 with 3362 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

is it not true that there is also a daily charge? Some folk might have a higher charge per unit than 12p but a smaller daily cost; and of course vice versa.
Energy bills on 16:18 - Sep 6 with 3315 viewsHARRY10

Energy bills on 16:10 - Sep 6 by Timefliesbyintheblue

is it not true that there is also a daily charge? Some folk might have a higher charge per unit than 12p but a smaller daily cost; and of course vice versa.

err, yes

as in this from my post

"you are charged by unit - so to compare you need to know unit and daily charge price.... that is hidden away "
Energy bills on 16:24 - Sep 6 with 3299 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

Energy bills on 16:18 - Sep 6 by HARRY10

err, yes

as in this from my post

"you are charged by unit - so to compare you need to know unit and daily charge price.... that is hidden away "

Apologies I only looked at your last message - should have read all the thread!
Energy bills on 16:45 - Sep 6 with 3252 viewsHARRY10

Energy bills on 16:24 - Sep 6 by Timefliesbyintheblue

Apologies I only looked at your last message - should have read all the thread!

no need for apologies - the point you make about daily standing charge is relevant

if any motorist wanted to cut the cost of fuel they would want petrol stations to list prices so they can compare - not have giant signs up saying

'you can save around £12.73 when filling up the tank of an average car..... '

which is pretty much meaningless

it is this shyte in the energy price comparison sites that put off so many from changing supplier
Energy bills on 16:45 - Sep 6 with 3254 viewsSwansea_Blue

That's very good. I'm on variable but it's been cheaper than fixed deals for the past 12 months or more, so have left it. Might be time to fix, but then the fixeds offered now are about 3 p per unit (and higher standing charge) than I'm currently on so up to the point of the next rises it's not worth me doing anything

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Energy bills on 17:40 - Sep 6 with 3192 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

Energy bills on 16:45 - Sep 6 by HARRY10

no need for apologies - the point you make about daily standing charge is relevant

if any motorist wanted to cut the cost of fuel they would want petrol stations to list prices so they can compare - not have giant signs up saying

'you can save around £12.73 when filling up the tank of an average car..... '

which is pretty much meaningless

it is this shyte in the energy price comparison sites that put off so many from changing supplier

I am with one of the big 6, but do shop around on a regular basis. Remember, your supplier should inform you if they have a cheaper tariff than the one you are on already.
Some comparison sites though have deals that your own supplier will not admit to having!
If it helps I live in a three bedroom normal size house (just myself and my partner) and pay the following:
Electricity 17.119p per Kwh plus 16.440p daily charge
Gas 3.133p per Kwh plus 16.440 daily charge.

Note: these include the 5% VAT applicable to utilities.
My bill averages £75 monthly.
Oh, I do have a smart meter which I find useful and frightening at the same time!
Energy bills on 17:52 - Sep 6 with 3151 viewsHARRY10

Energy bills on 16:45 - Sep 6 by Swansea_Blue

That's very good. I'm on variable but it's been cheaper than fixed deals for the past 12 months or more, so have left it. Might be time to fix, but then the fixeds offered now are about 3 p per unit (and higher standing charge) than I'm currently on so up to the point of the next rises it's not worth me doing anything

That surprises me, as I have a site that informs me if there is a cheaper deal, and I have not heard a peep in that regard

and having the time I have sorted out others deals so as to find the cheapest - never seen a variable that was cheaper than a fixed rate
Energy bills on 20:29 - Sep 6 with 2971 viewsElderGrizzly

Energy bills on 17:40 - Sep 6 by Timefliesbyintheblue

I am with one of the big 6, but do shop around on a regular basis. Remember, your supplier should inform you if they have a cheaper tariff than the one you are on already.
Some comparison sites though have deals that your own supplier will not admit to having!
If it helps I live in a three bedroom normal size house (just myself and my partner) and pay the following:
Electricity 17.119p per Kwh plus 16.440p daily charge
Gas 3.133p per Kwh plus 16.440 daily charge.

Note: these include the 5% VAT applicable to utilities.
My bill averages £75 monthly.
Oh, I do have a smart meter which I find useful and frightening at the same time!

We're with Igloo who tend to be one of the cheaper ones and do have a smart meter and as you say it can be such a huge difference day to day.

We're paying 16.5 for Electricity and 3.001 for Gas which is decent, but they are about to go up again in October.

We've tried all we can do with a renovation so have Nest thermostat, lots of new energy efficient appliances such as Heat Pump tumble driers etc.

We are at £102 a month for a modern(ish) 5 bed, but they've just proposed that goes to £120 from 1st October even though we are £300 in credit.
Energy bills on 20:40 - Sep 6 with 2941 viewsHARRY10

Energy bills on 20:29 - Sep 6 by ElderGrizzly

We're with Igloo who tend to be one of the cheaper ones and do have a smart meter and as you say it can be such a huge difference day to day.

We're paying 16.5 for Electricity and 3.001 for Gas which is decent, but they are about to go up again in October.

We've tried all we can do with a renovation so have Nest thermostat, lots of new energy efficient appliances such as Heat Pump tumble driers etc.

We are at £102 a month for a modern(ish) 5 bed, but they've just proposed that goes to £120 from 1st October even though we are £300 in credit.

" even though we are £300 in credit. "

it would be interesting to know how much is held by these companies in that regard

virtually nothing to be earned by them in interest, but a huge amount that can be borrowed, with them paying no interest on the loan

but as with so many other utilities, hefty bonuses to the directors and better dividends than would be, were that money back in the accounts it belongs to
Energy bills on 21:01 - Sep 6 with 2893 viewsDubtractor

Energy bills on 15:18 - Sep 6 by JakeITFC

I'm on a fixed price for a bit at home, but wholesale prices going high could be useful for my budget at work!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Energy bills on 21:51 - Sep 6 with 2830 viewscressi

Energy bills on 21:01 - Sep 6 by Dubtractor

I'm on a fixed price for a bit at home, but wholesale prices going high could be useful for my budget at work!

I'm with bulb pay as u go in October going up to 24p per kwh from 21p I'm afraid electric going through the roof.
Energy bills on 22:11 - Sep 6 with 2799 viewsElderGrizzly

Energy bills on 20:40 - Sep 6 by HARRY10

" even though we are £300 in credit. "

it would be interesting to know how much is held by these companies in that regard

virtually nothing to be earned by them in interest, but a huge amount that can be borrowed, with them paying no interest on the loan

but as with so many other utilities, hefty bonuses to the directors and better dividends than would be, were that money back in the accounts it belongs to

Randomly, Igloo pay you 3% interest on any credit balance

But yes, I appreciate most companies don't rush to pay you back the credit or reduce bills to take account of it
Energy bills on 22:47 - Sep 6 with 2744 viewsBroomy99

It’s the mode of the whole market. Along with broadband and mobile it’s all set up to punish loyalty. Complete broken, which is why ofgem brought in the price cap to protect those being stung to pay for advertising costs and ‘deals’ for ‘new customers only’ - 3 years ago someone I hadn’t met before showed me a better way, and I’ve not paid a bill since. Genius! PM me if you'd like to see 👌
Energy bills on 12:49 - Sep 7 with 2535 viewsbaxterbasics

Ugh that reminds me I haven't updated my meter readings in a while - and I started mining crypto a few months back.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Energy bills on 07:57 - Sep 9 with 2304 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Would a smart meter save us any money compared to our ancient economy 7 one?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Energy bills on 08:01 - Sep 9 with 2301 viewsDubtractor

Energy bills on 07:57 - Sep 9 by BanksterDebtSlave

Would a smart meter save us any money compared to our ancient economy 7 one?

Unless you're on an economy 7 tariff to go with your meter it'll make no difference really.

For 2 weeks you'll look at it and say things like 'the kettle uses a lot of electric ', then you'll prob never look at it again.

You will always have accurate billing though and not really on poor estimates for meter reads.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Energy bills on 08:59 - Sep 9 with 2237 viewsellerblue

This is interesting for me a lot of information gleaned, we live in Germany but hope to return to suffolk next year( subject to getting a visa for my german wife) just for comparisin we have a 2 bed bungalow and we pay 377 euros PER MONTH, we can shop around for everrything but gas, this is because our local council has a deal that only one company(EON) can supply gas, and funnily you have the meter read in January but do nor receive a yearly statement till September, all utilities only provide yearly statements roll on next year with this saving going towards 2 season tickets.

Heinsberg Blue

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024