Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So, a World Cup every two years..... 15:15 - Sep 7 with 2496 viewsBloots

....that won't be tedious at all.

It's difficult to see how the game's governing bodies can fook it up any more than it's already doing, but I'm sure it can.

I might start following a different sport.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

So, a World Cup every two years..... on 15:24 - Sep 7 with 2447 viewsRadlett_blue

what a surprise that the formerly sensible Arsene Wenger, as soon as he takes FIFA's corrupt shilling, immediately comes up with a proposal for MORE FIFA-run tournaments. UEFA will counter by having the Euros every 2 years & so the continual battle for control of the players & the game will continue.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

So, a World Cup every two years..... on 15:28 - Sep 7 with 2441 viewsitfcjoe

I wouldn't mind it - don't see it happening though

Continental tournament one summer, world cup the next and repeat

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The players will be dropping like flies..... on 15:31 - Sep 7 with 2414 viewsBloots

So, a World Cup every two years..... on 15:28 - Sep 7 by itfcjoe

....it will totally devalue the competition.

Obviously the Africans and the Asians are already fully behind it, I expect North America will fall in line too.

It'll just be Europe that dissent, and they'll get out voted.

I can see it happening.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

The players will be dropping like flies..... on 16:02 - Sep 7 with 2301 viewsitfcjoe

The players will be dropping like flies..... on 15:31 - Sep 7 by Bloots

....it will totally devalue the competition.

Obviously the Africans and the Asians are already fully behind it, I expect North America will fall in line too.

It'll just be Europe that dissent, and they'll get out voted.

I can see it happening.

Too much club football for the elite players is the issue rather than international - everything needs to be streamlined but no one willing to give anything.

International feds cancelled tournaments, all pre season friendlies etc and clubs didn't miss a game in any competition....and still they moan that there are now triple international gameweeks despite not doing anything to help

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

So, a World Cup every two years..... on 20:34 - Sep 7 with 2012 viewsmartinwellbourne

Looking at it four years between tournaments does seem too long,so many great players either dont get the chance to play for whatever reason or are injured for one tournament and then have to wait nearly half a decade before the next chance comes round.I like the idea personally.
So, a World Cup every two years..... on 09:12 - Sep 8 with 1848 viewsPique

So, a World Cup every two years..... on 20:34 - Sep 7 by martinwellbourne

Looking at it four years between tournaments does seem too long,so many great players either dont get the chance to play for whatever reason or are injured for one tournament and then have to wait nearly half a decade before the next chance comes round.I like the idea personally.

Don’t agree.

The World Cup should be the absolute pinnacle of the sport, something you get the chance to play in once or twice if you’re lucky.

There are already plenty of examples of players who’ve played in too many World Cups. Wayne Rooney, for example, played in three and failed to perform in any of them. Under Wenger’s proposals he would have played in six World Cups!

Ridiculous idea, hopefully it goes back in the overflowing bin of terrible FIFA schemes. It’s the trouble with bureaucracies - they have to justify their existences by coming up with pointless ideas.

Disappointed in Wenger pushing this nonsense as well.
So, a World Cup every two years..... on 09:53 - Sep 8 with 1783 viewsParsley

I'd be ok with it if the scrapped the Euros. Still a major international tournament every two years but more different countries involved.
So, a World Cup every two years..... on 09:53 - Sep 8 with 1783 viewsGlasgowBlue

I’d rather have a World Cip every two years and do away with the Euros, African Nations etc.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Login to get fewer ads

So, a World Cup every two years..... on 09:57 - Sep 8 with 1769 viewsSwansea_Blue

So, a World Cup every two years..... on 09:53 - Sep 8 by GlasgowBlue

I’d rather have a World Cip every two years and do away with the Euros, African Nations etc.

Yeah, thought you'd be keen to do away with the Euros

I'd agree on a two year cycle for major tournaments (evey summer would be nuts), but probably would keep things as they are. In theory the Euros are a better chance for the smaller home nation teams to qualify, which gives more players in the Championship a chance of playing major tournament footie.

I've no strong feeling either way tbh, other than thinking world/euros every summer would be too much.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

So, a World Cup every two years..... on 10:26 - Sep 8 with 1702 viewsBlueRaider

So, a World Cup every two years..... on 15:28 - Sep 7 by itfcjoe

Good opportunity to extend the principle of the nations league.

Bin the Euro's tournament, and the nations league as it is

Have a series of divisions of say 12, each play home and away over two years. Promotion and relegation, winners of division one are the European champions, and use it as the basis of world cup qualifying too

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

So, a World Cup every two years..... on 10:35 - Sep 8 with 1683 viewsBluefields

Prefer the Euro's to be every 2 years tbh.
World Cups are very boring in the early stages.
So, a World Cup every two years..... on 10:39 - Sep 8 with 1672 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Dunno where this idea has come from that were all demanding bigger games and more high stakes more often.

This is essentially Perez's argument for the super league, that Madrid fans will only put up with having to watch them play Getaffe if they know there is "big" game on the horizon....

Wenger has lost the plot on this.

Basekettball here we come.

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

So, a World Cup every two years..... on 11:39 - Sep 8 with 1605 viewsNorthLondonBlue2

I've always felt the top clubs, with the most players in international tournaments, have a dip in form after every World Cup and Euros.

I think there's only so much football to be had.

While this does open the door to smaller teams to do well, it's not healthy.

While the magic of the World Cup is the infrequency. If it's every other year, it's little more than the Americans' annual 'World Series' [sic] in baseball.
So, a World Cup every two years..... on 12:27 - Sep 8 with 1539 viewsstonojnr

So, a World Cup every two years..... on 10:39 - Sep 8 by BlueandTruesince82

Dunno where this idea has come from that were all demanding bigger games and more high stakes more often.

This is essentially Perez's argument for the super league, that Madrid fans will only put up with having to watch them play Getaffe if they know there is "big" game on the horizon....

Wenger has lost the plot on this.

Basekettball here we come.

I don't think Wenger has lost the plot if his job at FIFA is to develop the game,ie make more money, and you've a tournament that attracts a billion viewers of its final and a claimed 3.5billion,ie half the world's population, viewers of the whole thing.

Why wouldn't you hold it more frequently? It's the obvious solution.

In cycling the world championships are held every year, athletics is normally biennial.

Could football support it is another matter, it would ruin most federations own competitions, and I'm not sure the players would be fans, mostly as the money to be made would probably not end up in their pockets so much.
So, a World Cup every two years..... on 13:11 - Sep 8 with 1497 viewsChrisd

Not much rest time for those elite players either, not sure if their physical and mental needs have been given much consideration with this proposal? They'll be having a tournament every summer with little time to recover before the new league season starts with their respective clubs.
[Post edited 8 Sep 2021 13:12]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

So, a World Cup every two years..... on 13:30 - Sep 8 with 1458 viewsMattinLondon

So, a World Cup every two years..... on 10:35 - Sep 8 by Bluefields

Prefer the Euro's to be every 2 years tbh.
World Cups are very boring in the early stages.

Disagree with this as I find the early stages of the World Cup really enjoyable. Three matches on during the daytime and watching countries you don’t normally catch on the telly.

I’m not in favour of the World Cup every two years - duty from a logistical point-of-view it’ll be quite hard to organise?
So, a World Cup every two years..... on 13:34 - Sep 8 with 1445 viewsDurovigutum

It is also about other sports. What about the Olympics, the Rugby world cup, the athletics world cup, the tennis, the Ryder cup, and so on. You pick up the casual fan because their sport isn't active, but there is such a thing as too much football....
So, a World Cup every two years..... on 13:46 - Sep 8 with 1417 viewsOsborneOneNil

Load of rubbish, keep as is.
So, a World Cup every two years..... on 15:38 - Sep 8 with 1333 viewsBlueandTruesince82

So, a World Cup every two years..... on 13:34 - Sep 8 by Durovigutum

It is also about other sports. What about the Olympics, the Rugby world cup, the athletics world cup, the tennis, the Ryder cup, and so on. You pick up the casual fan because their sport isn't active, but there is such a thing as too much football....

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

So, a World Cup every two years..... on 17:52 - Sep 8 with 1271 viewsMattinLondon

So, a World Cup every two years..... on 13:34 - Sep 8 by Durovigutum

Too much football? I’ve yet to come anywhere near that point.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024