Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? 18:32 - Sep 7 with 4676 viewsPippin1970

After today's NI increases going to divide a lot of people. I work 50 hrs a week plus work 2 nights a week. If I didn't would struggle financially. I'm sure others in same boat
[Post edited 7 Sep 2021 18:33]
Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 18:38 - Sep 7 with 2187 viewsHARRY10

You are all working class

stop working and you will soon see which class you are

the one that is dependent upon working for a wage
Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 18:38 - Sep 7 with 2184 viewsJ2BLUE

Bit outdated isn't it?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 18:48 - Sep 7 with 2118 viewsBluefish

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 18:38 - Sep 7 by HARRY10

That means middle class doesn't exist?

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 18:55 - Sep 7 with 2105 viewsPippin1970

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 18:38 - Sep 7 by J2BLUE

Bit outdated isn't it?

I thought everybody in Suffolk was rich lol. Demographically wages obviously not as great up here.
Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 18:58 - Sep 7 with 2089 viewsHARRY10

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 18:48 - Sep 7 by Bluefish

That means middle class doesn't exist?

yep

I have yet to see any who claim to be these things to not be dependent upon working for a living
Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 19:00 - Sep 7 with 2079 viewstazdac

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 19:01 - Sep 7 with 2049 viewsBluefish

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 18:58 - Sep 7 by HARRY10

yep

I have yet to see any who claim to be these things to not be dependent upon working for a living

Perhaps that isn't the meaning then?

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 19:04 - Sep 7 with 2050 viewsHARRY10

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 19:01 - Sep 7 by Bluefish

do define the alternative meaning
Login to get fewer ads

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 19:18 - Sep 7 with 1995 viewsGuthrum

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 19:04 - Sep 7 by HARRY10

The old terms have almost entirely lost their meanings.

"Working Class" meant massed labour employed in heavy industry and mining. There's very little of that left. The closest we have today are probably shop/supermarket workers, a group generally rather marginal in the thinking of 19th and 20th century political theorists.

Most of the old "Upper Class" of aristocrats are no longer wealthy compared with the richest end of the "Middle Class" (senior managers, bankers, City types).

We need new terminology, not relying on something dreamt up by a couple of Germans nearly two centuries ago.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 19:19 - Sep 7 with 1990 viewsDanTheMan

Fringe class.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 19:20 - Sep 7 with 1976 viewsBluefish

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 19:04 - Sep 7 by HARRY10

Nah I'm not that bothered by it

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 19:38 - Sep 7 with 1935 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 19:54 - Sep 7 with 1888 viewsWD19

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 19:01 - Sep 7 by Bluefish

And/or he doesn’t know anyone over the age of 45.
Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 20:09 - Sep 7 with 1844 viewsbazza

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 19:18 - Sep 7 by Guthrum

"Working Class" meant massed labour employed in heavy industry and mining. There's very little of that left. The closest we have today are probably shop/supermarket workers, a group generally rather marginal in the thinking of 19th and 20th century political theorists.

Most of the old "Upper Class" of aristocrats are no longer wealthy compared with the richest end of the "Middle Class" (senior managers, bankers, City types).

We need new terminology, not relying on something dreamt up by a couple of Germans nearly two centuries ago.

Work shy lazy class

Working class

Grotesquely rich non tax paying class..

If labour targeted the working class, they would win a majority at the next election.
Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 20:27 - Sep 7 with 1786 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 18:38 - Sep 7 by HARRY10

You persist with pushing this narrow definition. However, most of us could give up paid employment and still live. We might be homeless and need to beg/gather our own food but we could probably survive.

So, by your own narrow definition, we are all rich.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 20:33 - Sep 7 with 1764 viewsbazza

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 20:27 - Sep 7 by Nthsuffolkblue

You persist with pushing this narrow definition. However, most of us could give up paid employment and still live. We might be homeless and need to beg/gather our own food but we could probably survive.

So, by your own narrow definition, we are all rich.

Gather our own food… what are we squirrels … you’d be dead in a month without any help.
Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 20:51 - Sep 7 with 1699 viewswkj

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 20:33 - Sep 7 by bazza

Gather our own food… what are we squirrels … you’d be dead in a month without any help.

And that is how society has lead us to think, that we're incapable of fending for ourselves.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 20:53 - Sep 7 with 1690 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 20:33 - Sep 7 by bazza

You are right. No one on this planet survives without clean drinking water, a regular bin collection, a local Tesco and a MacDonalds.

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 21:02 - Sep 7 with 1657 viewsmutters

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 19:54 - Sep 7 by WD19

And/or he doesn’t know anyone over the age of 45.

Or he has no concept of long term planning or how you can through working hard and saving can free yourself from being a wage slave.

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 21:03 - Sep 7 with 1655 viewsbazza

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 20:51 - Sep 7 by wkj

And that is how society has lead us to think, that we're incapable of fending for ourselves.

I watched a programme on tv the other day, where people don’t even know how to keep their houses clean… I don’t think society has lead us to believe we can’t fend for ourselves ..it’s a fact..
Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 21:05 - Sep 7 with 1632 viewsbazza

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 20:53 - Sep 7 by Nthsuffolkblue

You are right. No one on this planet survives without clean drinking water, a regular bin collection, a local Tesco and a MacDonalds.

Certainly No one in a developed country ..
Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 21:05 - Sep 7 with 1627 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 21:03 - Sep 7 by bazza

I watched a programme on tv the other day, where people don’t even know how to keep their houses clean… I don’t think society has lead us to believe we can’t fend for ourselves ..it’s a fact..

That's good evidence for the idea that people could not survive without money. Someone on TV was unable to clean their house so no one could live without money.

Not sure where the plumbum comes in but I suppose wkj led you into that.

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 21:06 - Sep 7 with 1619 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 21:05 - Sep 7 by bazza

Certainly No one in a developed country ..

If you were to open your eyes you would actually see it in this country!

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 21:14 - Sep 7 with 1585 viewsbazza

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 21:06 - Sep 7 by Nthsuffolkblue

If you were to open your eyes you would actually see it in this country!

I did see a guy over Christchurch park eating wild berries and drinking from the duck pond now you mention it..
Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 21:22 - Sep 7 with 1558 viewsBluedicea

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 19:18 - Sep 7 by Guthrum

This is the system they use to define class in the UK, it's 50 years old now but I think useful to a certain degree.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NRS_social_grade

Edit.
One of the modern criticisms of Labour they are nearly all come from C1 and above categories and the Tories have had more C2 and D members in recent years and that's one of the reasons they are becoming of touch with the working class.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2021 21:30]

What is the use of knowing about everything else, when you do not yet know who you are.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024