Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Can someone clarify something for me about The RoI? 20:55 - Sep 7 with 3267 viewsDurovigutum

Are the Republic of Ireland being careful what they wish for or enjoying better football?
Can someone clarify something for me about The RoI? on 21:41 - Sep 7 with 2454 viewsmonty_radio

They may just be discovering what ITFC have known about for many years now, namely, if you don't have the players then you don't get results. When your player-pool is drying up it's accompanied by diminishing returns that no amount of desire, hype, expectation or craic can cover over.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Can someone clarify something for me about The RoI? on 22:18 - Sep 7 with 2378 viewsMoriarty

Can someone clarify something for me about The RoI? on 21:41 - Sep 7 by monty_radio

They may just be discovering what ITFC have known about for many years now, namely, if you don't have the players then you don't get results. When your player-pool is drying up it's accompanied by diminishing returns that no amount of desire, hype, expectation or craic can cover over.

It’s been a blast being an Irish ITFC fan of late.

In football terms :-

Kenny, our manager is out of his depth;

FAI are a corporate governance fiasco and a sham. A real disease.

We have some decent youngsters though (some of whom are with the scum).

I don’t think Kenny will get the sack this campaign - just see it out now.

We could be a better proposition in a few years if we get the next appointment right.

fka omuircheartaigh

Can someone clarify something for me about The RoI? on 22:19 - Sep 7 with 2365 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

MM was effectively care taker manager while they waited for Kenny.

Nothing to see.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Can someone clarify something for me about The RoI? on 22:36 - Sep 7 with 2327 viewsmonty_radio

Can someone clarify something for me about The RoI? on 22:19 - Sep 7 by Marshalls_Mullet

Nothing to see.

That what was I used to think in M.M.'s latter days too.

Can someone clarify something for me about The RoI? on 00:01 - Sep 8 with 2242 viewstextbackup

ROI have always been sht. England C team, end of story

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Can someone clarify something for me about The RoI? on 00:05 - Sep 8 with 2228 viewsistanblue

Can someone clarify something for me about The RoI? on 21:41 - Sep 7 by monty_radio

Except that international football and club football are entirely different...
Can someone clarify something for me about The RoI? on 07:17 - Sep 8 with 2034 viewsWeWereZombies

Can someone clarify something for me about The RoI? on 00:01 - Sep 8 by textbackup

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Can someone clarify something for me about The RoI? on 09:05 - Sep 8 with 1922 viewsmonty_radio

Can someone clarify something for me about The RoI? on 00:05 - Sep 8 by istanblue

Except that international football and club football are entirely different...

Not in all respects. Certainly the average L1 player may come up against Ronaldo etc, but the critical similarity is that if you are either an impoverished league team or a small country with no current wonder-crop generation you can only pick the players you have available to you. That was my comparison.

Login to get fewer ads

Can someone clarify something for me about The RoI? on 15:26 - Sep 8 with 1784 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Can someone clarify something for me about The RoI? on 00:01 - Sep 8 by textbackup

You cheeky edgelord, you.

FIFA rank them just below Romania (4 times the population) and just above Greece and Scotland (both twice their population) so they are punching their weight.

And they have been as high as 36th recently.
Can someone clarify something for me about The RoI? on 16:02 - Sep 8 with 1719 viewsMoriarty

Can someone clarify something for me about The RoI? on 07:17 - Sep 8 by WeWereZombies

fka omuircheartaigh

Can someone clarify something for me about The RoI? on 16:08 - Sep 8 with 1704 viewschicoazul

Can someone clarify something for me about The RoI? on 22:19 - Sep 7 by Marshalls_Mullet

Nothing to see.

Remember when Mick said he was caretaker manager at Ipswich after he announced he was leaving and how he thought it was a crazy situation, left, and became caretaker manager of Ireland? Banter era.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Can someone clarify something for me about The RoI? on 16:17 - Sep 8 with 1685 viewsleitrimblue

You know football is probably the 3rd or 4th most participated sport in Ireland? You could always challenge um to a game of hurling or Gaelic football if you feeling confident
Can someone clarify something for me about The RoI? on 16:28 - Sep 8 with 1661 viewschicoazul

Can someone clarify something for me about The RoI? on 16:17 - Sep 8 by leitrimblue

You know football is probably the 3rd or 4th most participated sport in Ireland? You could always challenge um to a game of hurling or Gaelic football if you feeling confident

Is this really true? I’ve always wondered it as I worked with 4 Cork and surrounding areas lads and they all were obsessed with football. They said Gaelic was the nutters game.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Can someone clarify something for me about The RoI? on 16:41 - Sep 8 with 1632 viewsSwansea_Blue

Can someone clarify something for me about The RoI? on 07:17 - Sep 8 by WeWereZombies

Good enough goal, but I've always thought the rolly polly afterwards detracted something.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Can someone clarify something for me about The RoI? on 16:44 - Sep 8 with 1627 viewsSwansea_Blue

Useless fact of the day. I'm neighbours with a current RoI international. Virtual pint of Guinness for anyone who can guess who (shouldn't be too hard going off my user name as a clue).

Can someone clarify something for me about The RoI? on 16:53 - Sep 8 with 1606 viewsJ2BLUE

Can someone clarify something for me about The RoI? on 16:44 - Sep 8 by Swansea_Blue

Useless fact of the day. I'm neighbours with a current RoI international. Virtual pint of Guinness for anyone who can guess who (shouldn't be too hard going off my user name as a clue).

Ryan Manning

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Can someone clarify something for me about The RoI? on 17:04 - Sep 8 with 1586 viewsleitrimblue

Can someone clarify something for me about The RoI? on 16:28 - Sep 8 by chicoazul

Is this really true? I’ve always wondered it as I worked with 4 Cork and surrounding areas lads and they all were obsessed with football. They said Gaelic was the nutters game.

I'm sure the few Irish posters on here could probably answer this better then me. It seems to be in most counties Gaelic comes first. Some areas more into the Gaelic football some more into the hurling. From my experience the more rural you go the more the GA dominates but in some of the towns/city's (especially working class areas) football is a bit more common. I'm lucky to live near Sligo which from my experience is one of the few towns where football comes first and GA second. ( They also love Paul Cook)
Can someone clarify something for me about The RoI? on 17:07 - Sep 8 with 1576 viewsSwansea_Blue

Can someone clarify something for me about The RoI? on 16:53 - Sep 8 by J2BLUE

Ryan Manning

Yep (told you it wasn't hard. I think he's the only one down here in their squad).

Can someone clarify something for me about The RoI? on 17:57 - Sep 8 with 1525 viewsRedX

Can someone clarify something for me about The RoI? on 16:28 - Sep 8 by chicoazul

Somewhat true.

There is huge interest in soccer(as it's called here) in Ireland. Then you have the GAA which consists of hurling and football. Hurling would be the more popular of the two and definitely more popular than soccer. I think soccer is more popular than Gaelic football.

When it comes to playing numbers, I'd imagine more people play some level of GAA than soccer but on saying that, there are huge numbers playing soccer too. When it comes to government grants and funding the GAA cleans up though, and this also reflects on why the League of Ireland (not the Irish League) is so weak. Funding for soccer is poor from grassroots up. The GAA have far superior facilities all around the country than most soccer clubs.

I never heard anyone calling Gaelic a "nutters game" but if it's your first time checking the sport out, I can see how some might think that. Hurling is a very skillful and very tough physical sport.
Can someone clarify something for me about The RoI? on 17:57 - Sep 8 with 1523 viewsRedX

What does that even mean?
Can someone clarify something for me about The RoI? on 18:34 - Sep 8 with 1477 viewsEireannach_gorm

Can someone clarify something for me about The RoI? on 09:05 - Sep 8 by monty_radio

Not in all respects. Certainly the average L1 player may come up against Ronaldo etc, but the critical similarity is that if you are either an impoverished league team or a small country with no current wonder-crop generation you can only pick the players you have available to you. That was my comparison.

Your analogy is quite accurate actually. RoI, much like Ipswich, have not had great players in the last few years and there has been a large number of player changes under Stephen Kenny. He is also trying to implement a new playing style. So basically a new team with a lot of youngsters trying to play an entertaining style of football and are taking a while to gel. Don't think there will be booing at Irish matches though.
Can someone clarify something for me about The RoI? on 19:26 - Sep 8 with 1423 viewsMoriarty

Can someone clarify something for me about The RoI? on 18:34 - Sep 8 by Eireannach_gorm

Your analogy is quite accurate actually. RoI, much like Ipswich, have not had great players in the last few years and there has been a large number of player changes under Stephen Kenny. He is also trying to implement a new playing style. So basically a new team with a lot of youngsters trying to play an entertaining style of football and are taking a while to gel. Don't think there will be booing at Irish matches though.

There was a very good and warm atmosphere at the Aviva last night, despite the absence of victories of late.

fka omuircheartaigh

Can someone clarify something for me about The RoI? on 19:35 - Sep 8 with 1409 viewsMoriarty

Can someone clarify something for me about The RoI? on 17:57 - Sep 8 by RedX

Somewhat true.

There is huge interest in soccer(as it's called here) in Ireland. Then you have the GAA which consists of hurling and football. Hurling would be the more popular of the two and definitely more popular than soccer. I think soccer is more popular than Gaelic football.

When it comes to playing numbers, I'd imagine more people play some level of GAA than soccer but on saying that, there are huge numbers playing soccer too. When it comes to government grants and funding the GAA cleans up though, and this also reflects on why the League of Ireland (not the Irish League) is so weak. Funding for soccer is poor from grassroots up. The GAA have far superior facilities all around the country than most soccer clubs.

I never heard anyone calling Gaelic a "nutters game" but if it's your first time checking the sport out, I can see how some might think that. Hurling is a very skillful and very tough physical sport.

I’m guessing you may hail from the rebel county?

I had the pleasure of picking up a medal or 2 in hurling when I was a young lad and will always rate it as the greatest sport.

Imagine if the GAA replaced the FAI.

fka omuircheartaigh

Can someone clarify something for me about The RoI? on 19:38 - Sep 8 with 1401 viewschicoazul

Can someone clarify something for me about The RoI? on 17:04 - Sep 8 by leitrimblue

I'm sure the few Irish posters on here could probably answer this better then me. It seems to be in most counties Gaelic comes first. Some areas more into the Gaelic football some more into the hurling. From my experience the more rural you go the more the GA dominates but in some of the towns/city's (especially working class areas) football is a bit more common. I'm lucky to live near Sligo which from my experience is one of the few towns where football comes first and GA second. ( They also love Paul Cook)

Interesting thanks.
We’ll all love Cook when we have the league sewn up by March!

Can someone clarify something for me about The RoI? on 22:58 - Sep 8 with 1330 viewstextbackup

Can someone clarify something for me about The RoI? on 16:17 - Sep 8 by leitrimblue

I could, if I had any interest in said "sport" but as football was being discussed I thought i'd comment on that.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024