Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Now I like Southgate 19:35 - Sep 8 with 2646 viewschicoazul

But I really wish he would abandon this Phillips Rice Mount thing. It’s just lacking that creative spark we will need against the elite in Qatar.
And only he would play 3 rights backs and one centre forward at home against bloody Andorra of all people.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Now I like Southgate on 19:38 - Sep 8 with 2430 viewsYallop

It's worked really well of late. Stick with it for me
Now I like Southgate on 19:38 - Sep 8 with 2425 viewsvilanovablue

I don't think he needs to abandon it, I suspect when Bellingham is starting regularly which can't be too far away it'll naturally disappear. Phillips is moved out of the side, I think that'll be the solution.
Now I like Southgate on 19:44 - Sep 8 with 2389 viewsitfcjoe

For who though? Think the team selected is as good as we can do currently.

The team for Andorra was fine - just made 11 changes and played everyone else in the squad in our normal shape

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Now I like Southgate on 19:47 - Sep 8 with 2378 viewschicoazul

Now I like Southgate on 19:44 - Sep 8 by itfcjoe

For who though? Think the team selected is as good as we can do currently.

The team for Andorra was fine - just made 11 changes and played everyone else in the squad in our normal shape

It wasn’t fine though was it? He had to change it after 55 odd minutes.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Now I like Southgate on 20:01 - Sep 8 with 2343 viewsitfcjoe

Now I like Southgate on 19:47 - Sep 8 by chicoazul

It wasn’t fine though was it? He had to change it after 55 odd minutes.

He didn't have to, we'd have won without those changes

Now I like Southgate on 20:49 - Sep 8 with 2225 viewsghostofescobar

You are 2/3 absolutely wrong. The Rice/Philips combination is what has made the difference to this England team. Mount I agree with. Cant really see the point of him at the moment.

GhostOfEscobar

Now I like Southgate on 20:56 - Sep 8 with 2196 viewschicoazul

Now I like Southgate on 20:49 - Sep 8 by ghostofescobar

You are 2/3 absolutely wrong. The Rice/Philips combination is what has made the difference to this England team. Mount I agree with. Cant really see the point of him at the moment.

There is no creativity at all in the middle of the pitch. So many times Phillips could move it forward but plays it safe. Saying that he played a lovey forward pass to Mount just now, needs to do more of that.

Now I like Southgate on 21:18 - Sep 8 with 2130 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

This is the exact type of match to play Rice and Phillips.

The issue is Mount is having a quiet/poor match (especially 2nd half) and Kane is positionally poor tonight and not giving us a focal point and stretching their defence
Login to get fewer ads

Now I like Southgate on 23:16 - Sep 8 with 1982 viewsOsborneOneNil

Now I like Southgate on 20:49 - Sep 8 by ghostofescobar

Foden - when fit.
Now I like Southgate on 01:26 - Sep 9 with 1895 viewsquirkie

Southgate is going to be the reason why this very talented squad of players will not win the World Cup next year when in reality they have every reason to do so.

This is going to be an amazing opportunity lost and people will look back and think it was so obvious why.

Such a shame, but you can see Southgate doesn't learn. Stubborn little fellow.

Poll: How long will we be in League One/League Two from next season?

Now I like Southgate on 07:19 - Sep 9 with 1775 viewsBlueBadger

Now I like Southgate on 01:26 - Sep 9 by quirkie

Southgate is going to be the reason why this very talented squad of players will not win the World Cup next year when in reality they have every reason to do so.

This is going to be an amazing opportunity lost and people will look back and think it was so obvious why.

Such a shame, but you can see Southgate doesn't learn. Stubborn little fellow.

Imagine not changing the methods that got you to a semi-final and a major final.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2021 7:19]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Now I like Southgate on 08:39 - Sep 9 with 1668 viewsIpswichKnight

We’re so rubbish that the last team to beat us without penalties was Belgium in November last year. Since then ( Italy was a draw which we lost on pens ).

P16 W13 D3 L0 F35 A4

That’s a record pretty much every team would kill for.
Now I like Southgate on 08:42 - Sep 9 with 1661 viewsElephantintheRoom

England managers always have there irrational foibles - it comes with overegging a part-time job.

Robson would have strapped the corpse of Brian Robson to his white horse if he could - and Southgate is firmly wedded to not losing games which have to be won.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Now I like Southgate on 08:46 - Sep 9 with 1644 viewsitfcjoe

Now I like Southgate on 08:39 - Sep 9 by IpswichKnight

We’re so rubbish that the last team to beat us without penalties was Belgium in November last year. Since then ( Italy was a draw which we lost on pens ).

P16 W13 D3 L0 F35 A4

I was trying to make this point last night - people saying we can't close games out despite winning nearly every game we play and barely conceding a goal.

And thought that there is this panacea that had we made 2 subs last night we'd have definitely won, which is a theory that can't be tested.

Poland were coming back into the game a bit, but that is always the case when 1-0 in closing minutes - but for Walker getting beaten too easily we win the game and they don't create a chance.

Against Denmark in the Euro's we were 2-1 up with a couple of minutes left and managed to retain the ball for a ridiculous amount of time - and fans still saying we did wrong thing as should have scored a third instead - they'd be wetting their pants if Spain had done that to us at how good they are.

Now I like Southgate on 09:02 - Sep 9 with 1612 viewsWickets

Have you seen the group league table ?
Now I like Southgate on 10:34 - Sep 9 with 1518 viewsIpswichKnight

Now I like Southgate on 08:46 - Sep 9 by itfcjoe

I was trying to make this point last night - people saying we can't close games out despite winning nearly every game we play and barely conceding a goal.

And thought that there is this panacea that had we made 2 subs last night we'd have definitely won, which is a theory that can't be tested.

Poland were coming back into the game a bit, but that is always the case when 1-0 in closing minutes - but for Walker getting beaten too easily we win the game and they don't create a chance.

Against Denmark in the Euro's we were 2-1 up with a couple of minutes left and managed to retain the ball for a ridiculous amount of time - and fans still saying we did wrong thing as should have scored a third instead - they'd be wetting their pants if Spain had done that to us at how good they are.

We were caught up in a bun fight first half and let them dictate a bit too much, 2nd half they barely got in our half. 9/10 we see that game out. We have found a way that allows us to win a lot of matches. We are still a young international side we are only going to get better.
Now I like Southgate on 11:05 - Sep 9 with 1457 viewschicoazul

Now I like Southgate on 09:02 - Sep 9 by Wickets

Have you seen the group league table ?

Yes. I don’t think the midfield works very well and Southgate could be a bit more adventurous.

Now I like Southgate on 11:44 - Sep 9 with 1397 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Now I like Southgate on 10:34 - Sep 9 by IpswichKnight

We were caught up in a bun fight first half and let them dictate a bit too much, 2nd half they barely got in our half. 9/10 we see that game out. We have found a way that allows us to win a lot of matches. We are still a young international side we are only going to get better.

I don't think England will get any better under Southgate. He's done well but too defensive and conservative when the pressure is on to turn the side into the one they could be.

I believe the World Cup will be his final tournament as England coach.

Last night 1-1 was a fair result overall. England created little and had to rely on a thunderstrike for the goal.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Now I like Southgate on 12:30 - Sep 9 with 1357 viewspeterleeblue

Now I like Southgate on 11:44 - Sep 9 by The_Last_Baron

I don't think England will get any better under Southgate. He's done well but too defensive and conservative when the pressure is on to turn the side into the one they could be.

Last night 1-1 was a fair result overall. England created little and had to rely on a thunderstrike for the goal.

I agree about Southgate.
However last night we totally dominated 35 minutes of the second half.
I am convinced a couple of substitutions would have given us the fresh legs to hold on.
I appreciate that's hindsight but doing nothing leaves the point open to question. It was tantamount to making substitutions in the last minute of extra time in the Euro final which demonstrated a lack of trust in the bench to do anything other than score a penalty (which sadly they didn't).
Now I like Southgate on 13:27 - Sep 9 with 1273 viewspointofblue

Going forward they reminded me of a much better version of us - everything going through the wings and nothing whatsoever via central midfield. Defensively they worked much better as a unit than our central midfielders have so far, though.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Now I like Southgate on 13:36 - Sep 9 with 1257 viewsYallop

Now I like Southgate on 11:44 - Sep 9 by The_Last_Baron

Be careful what you wish for
Now I like Southgate on 14:16 - Sep 9 with 1207 viewsfergalsharkey

WTF are you on about.

Poll: Cook out?

Now I like Southgate on 16:32 - Sep 9 with 1142 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Southgate has turned us into a very effective tournament team. Something we simply have not been for a very very long time.

We all want to see attacking football, but even Brazil get beat sticking all their best attacking players so I have absolutely no issue with Southgate doing what it takes to win games. After all in 30 years time we’ll remember the outcome rather than the performances.
Now I like Southgate on 16:54 - Sep 9 with 1114 viewsNazemariner

I like your thinking.

Let's abandon a tactic that got us within a couiple of kicks of winng the most prestigious prize in all of football.
Now I like Southgate on 17:28 - Sep 9 with 1088 viewschicoazul

Now I like Southgate on 08:39 - Sep 9 by IpswichKnight

P16 W13 D3 L0 F35 A4

I didn’t say we are rubbish.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024