Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This Paul Cook could/should be sacked nonsense 22:37 - Sep 9 with 2541 viewsxrayspecs

I think a lot of folk are kidding themselves if they think this is a realistic propsect.

Ashton has said his concern is that it will take the team time to gel
Owners have said that this is a long term project. They want but do not expect promotion this year.
Significant funds have been spent to sign the players Paul Cook wants.
Some have said that they have only joined Town to work with Cook.
Nine of the new players were not in the first match day squad, three were not here when we played our last league match.
Chaplin, Edmundson, Aluko, Coulson and Carroll and working their way back to full fitness.Burns and Bonne have had injuries. Celina is unlikely to be fit for a while and Morsy will miss three games.

While results have been disappointing, the performance have been really promising at times.
We should have beaten Morecambe, two poor mistakes cost us goals.
We were better team second half at Burton and had we scored the penalty, would have got at least a point, quite possibly three.
Had Bonne scored at Cheltenham, you would have fancied us to go on and win the game, or at least get another point.
Schoolboy defending and a 95th minute equaliser cost us three points against AFCW.
Fine margins but even a Town team who have yet to become a well oiled machine could have had 8-10 point at this stage.
And before adding in Edmundson, Chaplin, Celina, Walton and Morsy

So lots of promising signs that we have the players and approach to be very competitive and entertaining in this league. Cook will be given time to turn this potential into results.

[Post edited 9 Sep 2021 23:31]
This Paul Cook could/should be sacked nonsense on 23:12 - Sep 9 with 2442 viewsDarth_Koont

Agreed.

No-one would disagree that we need to be doing better. But anyone saying pull the trigger after a half-dozen games and a complete squad overhaul is insane. It’s not even early enough to say what’s gone wrong in the first games considering as you say we could have got 5 or 6 more points with little bother.

Pronouns: He/Him

This Paul Cook could/should be sacked nonsense on 23:16 - Sep 9 with 2428 viewsBlueBadger

That said, I doubt he'll be given the same kind of time that Keane, Jewell and Lambert were undeservedly indulged with, should we be winless come the end of this month.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

This Paul Cook could/should be sacked nonsense on 08:51 - Sep 10 with 2163 viewsjayessess

I think the owners will look to give him the maximum possible time but it won't be a blank cheque. There's no "you get til Christmas come what may" in football, there will be a minimum requirement.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

This Paul Cook could/should be sacked nonsense on 13:20 - Sep 10 with 2046 viewsHerbivore

They will also want to see a return on their investment. If we go another 5 games without registering a win he'll be under huge pressure and rightly so.

Let's not forget that Evans told us to be careful what we wished for in December when calling for Lambert to be sacked, he backed him to make four expensive loan signings in January, and sacked him in February off the back of arguably our best run of results of the season.

Neither public words nor financial backing mean that patience with a manager will be limitless.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

This Paul Cook could/should be sacked nonsense on 13:54 - Sep 10 with 2030 viewsChurchman

He’s been given the tools to do the job. It’s up to him and the players to crack on now and start tearing this league up.

But having taken a couple of weeks to get over the disappointment of the first few games of the season, patience is required. It’s going to take time, but things will improve. How long do you give Cook? I don’t know. See how we look end of October?
This Paul Cook could/should be sacked nonsense on 13:57 - Sep 10 with 2027 viewspointofblue

This Paul Cook could/should be sacked nonsense on 13:54 - Sep 10 by Churchman

He’s been given the tools to do the job. It’s up to him and the players to crack on now and start tearing this league up.

But having taken a couple of weeks to get over the disappointment of the first few games of the season, patience is required. It’s going to take time, but things will improve. How long do you give Cook? I don’t know. See how we look end of October?

They say the table takes shape after ten games, so then.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

This Paul Cook could/should be sacked nonsense on 14:04 - Sep 10 with 2008 viewsChurchman

This Paul Cook could/should be sacked nonsense on 13:57 - Sep 10 by pointofblue

They say the table takes shape after ten games, so then.

15 games is the end of October. That seems a reasonable enough review point, given a new team and all the changes in the club itself. The club is essentially reinventing itself.

Two weeks ago I said two more games because of my annoyance with how it was going. They then signed a couple more players, I had a few beers and rationality says we can’t bin him yet.
This Paul Cook could/should be sacked nonsense on 15:47 - Sep 10 with 1935 viewsHerbivore

This Paul Cook could/should be sacked nonsense on 14:04 - Sep 10 by Churchman

15 games is the end of October. That seems a reasonable enough review point, given a new team and all the changes in the club itself. The club is essentially reinventing itself.

Two weeks ago I said two more games because of my annoyance with how it was going. They then signed a couple more players, I had a few beers and rationality says we can’t bin him yet.

It'll depend though on what happens between now and game 15. If we only have another 3 points come game 10 then will they have a think at that point? What if the following 5 games only yield another 3 points and we find ourselves on 9 points a third of the way through the season? At that point auto promotion is already more or less gone.

I doubt that will happen as I expect our form to improve but I don't think the new owners will accept the kind of results we've had so far for all that much longer.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2021 16:10]

Login to get fewer ads

This Paul Cook could/should be sacked nonsense on 16:09 - Sep 10 with 1892 viewsBonchosBicycle

For me, and I've said it before, a new manager should get two windows - one to get his people in and the second to tweak.

Points 2 and 3 could have also been made when Hurst was here and, notwithstanding everything that went on around Hurst, I don't think dumping the team he was building on to Lambert after a dozen games was of any benefit to us. We could hardly have done worse by giving him til after Christmas to try and turn things around.

The football HAS been better this year and Cook gets at least until then for me.
This Paul Cook could/should be sacked nonsense on 16:11 - Sep 10 with 1886 viewsHerbivore

This Paul Cook could/should be sacked nonsense on 16:09 - Sep 10 by BonchosBicycle

For me, and I've said it before, a new manager should get two windows - one to get his people in and the second to tweak.

Points 2 and 3 could have also been made when Hurst was here and, notwithstanding everything that went on around Hurst, I don't think dumping the team he was building on to Lambert after a dozen games was of any benefit to us. We could hardly have done worse by giving him til after Christmas to try and turn things around.

The football HAS been better this year and Cook gets at least until then for me.

Even if we find ourselves bottom at Christmas?

This Paul Cook could/should be sacked nonsense on 17:42 - Sep 10 with 1781 viewsChrisd

This Paul Cook could/should be sacked nonsense on 16:11 - Sep 10 by Herbivore

Even if we find ourselves bottom at Christmas?

Blimey, how negative with your replies in this thread. It’s like you’re hoping this happens. What about if we win the next 5?
[Post edited 10 Sep 2021 17:50]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

This Paul Cook could/should be sacked nonsense on 17:44 - Sep 10 with 1774 viewspointofblue

This Paul Cook could/should be sacked nonsense on 17:42 - Sep 10 by Chrisd

Blimey, how negative with your replies in this thread. It’s like you’re hoping this happens. What about if we win the next 5?

We wouldn’t be thinking of sacking him, would we?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

This Paul Cook could/should be sacked nonsense on 17:48 - Sep 10 with 1765 viewsChrisd

This Paul Cook could/should be sacked nonsense on 17:44 - Sep 10 by pointofblue

We wouldn’t be thinking of sacking him, would we?

Well you’d hope not, but I just get the impression that wouldn’t be good enough either for some in here. Quite a few thinly veiled comments.

This Paul Cook could/should be sacked nonsense on 18:16 - Sep 10 with 1733 viewsjayessess

This Paul Cook could/should be sacked nonsense on 17:48 - Sep 10 by Chrisd

Well you’d hope not, but I just get the impression that wouldn’t be good enough either for some in here. Quite a few thinly veiled comments.

There's this weird mis-communication going on where one person says "Cook should get at least until next season" apparently unable to imagine things going so badly that Cook lasting so long just wouldn't be feasible. Then getting annoyed with anyone who insists that, actually, Cook remaining in post might require some minimum level of achievement on the pitch.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

This Paul Cook could/should be sacked nonsense on 18:36 - Sep 10 with 1697 viewsChrisd

This Paul Cook could/should be sacked nonsense on 18:16 - Sep 10 by jayessess

There's this weird mis-communication going on where one person says "Cook should get at least until next season" apparently unable to imagine things going so badly that Cook lasting so long just wouldn't be feasible. Then getting annoyed with anyone who insists that, actually, Cook remaining in post might require some minimum level of achievement on the pitch.

Then there’s the comments where, ‘no one has actually said they want Cook out,’ but are generally implying it with their responses on various threads.

At the end of the day, I want us to do well. This season is what PC should be judged on as this is his team/squad, last season it wasn’t. If it turns out that he’s not good enough to get the job done, so be it but to think he should be given the tic-tac after 5 games with so many changes is just plain ludicrous.

This Paul Cook could/should be sacked nonsense on 23:33 - Sep 10 with 1603 viewsHerbivore

This Paul Cook could/should be sacked nonsense on 18:36 - Sep 10 by Chrisd

Then there’s the comments where, ‘no one has actually said they want Cook out,’ but are generally implying it with their responses on various threads.

At the end of the day, I want us to do well. This season is what PC should be judged on as this is his team/squad, last season it wasn’t. If it turns out that he’s not good enough to get the job done, so be it but to think he should be given the tic-tac after 5 games with so many changes is just plain ludicrous.

Who has called for him to be sacked after 5 games?

This Paul Cook could/should be sacked nonsense on 01:04 - Sep 11 with 1556 viewsKropotkin123

This Paul Cook could/should be sacked nonsense on 23:33 - Sep 10 by Herbivore

Who has called for him to be sacked after 5 games?

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024