Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Emma Raducanu 06:22 - Sep 10 with 11656 viewsnoggin

This is gonna hurt the gammonista. Born in Canada to a Chinese mother and Hungarian father. Love it.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Emma Raducanu on 06:27 - Sep 10 with 3842 viewswkj

I don't think that it will - the UK has been trained to handle this through the years of terror caused by Sir Andrew Barron Murray OBE.

Scottish when he's losing
British when he's winning

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Emma Raducanu on 06:42 - Sep 10 with 3799 viewsN2_Blue

Ahem. At least get it right Nogs!....Romanian father.

Clue should be in her surname, about as Romanian as you can get.

She's a remarkable young woman, and her parents should take a lot of credit as she seems so grounded and humble.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Emma Raducanu on 06:54 - Sep 10 with 3748 viewsnoggin

Emma Raducanu on 06:42 - Sep 10 by N2_Blue

She's a remarkable young woman, and her parents should take a lot of credit as she seems so grounded and humble.

Ah yes, my bad. Her dad is probably a Roma gypsy.

Emma Raducanu on 07:28 - Sep 10 with 3655 viewsWD19

Product of the Gammar system. Hooray for ‘highly selective’ state schools.
Emma Raducanu on 07:41 - Sep 10 with 3609 viewsgtsb1966

A nice British sporting success story to start a Friday morning and noggin tries to see it as something else.... and still gets it wrong. Quite sad really.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2021 7:42]
Emma Raducanu on 07:50 - Sep 10 with 3563 viewsnoggin

Emma Raducanu on 07:41 - Sep 10 by gtsb1966

A nice British sporting success story to start a Friday morning and noggin tries to see it as something else.... and still gets it wrong. Quite sad really.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2021 7:42]

You ok petal?

Emma Raducanu on 07:52 - Sep 10 with 3545 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Emma Raducanu on 06:42 - Sep 10 by N2_Blue

Should get her name down for HGV driver training as soon as she's back.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Emma Raducanu on 07:57 - Sep 10 with 3528 viewsPassionNotAnger

Emma Raducanu on 07:50 - Sep 10 by noggin

You ok petal?

He has a bit of a point - rather than just celebrating the success of a young athlete (who happens to be British & female) you've tried to use it to have a dig at some perceived people who may be annoyed that haven't posted or said anything? (certainly not on here)

It's like you are looking for an issue that has yet to be manifest to make a point whilst spectacularly failing to give any credit whatsoever to the young lady in question.

Not sure of the current trendy sly one word dig to apply for that so I'll go with an old school one for you - sad!
[Post edited 10 Sep 2021 7:57]
Login to get fewer ads

Emma Raducanu on 08:07 - Sep 10 with 3449 viewsBlue_Order

Emma Raducanu on 07:57 - Sep 10 by PassionNotAnger

He has a bit of a point - rather than just celebrating the success of a young athlete (who happens to be British & female) you've tried to use it to have a dig at some perceived people who may be annoyed that haven't posted or said anything? (certainly not on here)

It's like you are looking for an issue that has yet to be manifest to make a point whilst spectacularly failing to give any credit whatsoever to the young lady in question.

Not sure of the current trendy sly one word dig to apply for that so I'll go with an old school one for you - sad!

Classic Noggin.
Emma Raducanu on 08:11 - Sep 10 with 3413 viewsGlasgowBlue

Most people would be happy at the remarkable tournament this talented young tennis player is having. Let’s wish her all the best for the final.

But your first thought is to fabricate division where it doesn’t exist and in doing so show your complete ignorance of Emma Raducanu’s father’s nationality.

Spectacular fail.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Emma Raducanu on 08:15 - Sep 10 with 3407 viewsDarth_Koont

Emma Raducanu on 07:57 - Sep 10 by PassionNotAnger

I think it’s the very nature of that Britishness that noggin is getting at.

We’ve torn ourselves apart over immigration when the reality is that we’re talking about families and individuals who generally give back more than they take.

Pronouns: He/Him

Emma Raducanu on 08:21 - Sep 10 with 3363 viewsGlasgowBlue

Emma Raducanu on 08:15 - Sep 10 by Darth_Koont

We’ve torn ourselves apart over immigration when the reality is that we’re talking about families and individuals who generally give back more than they take.

I don’t recall mass “gammon” heartache over the wonderful achievements of Sir Mohamed Farah and his remarkable success on the track.

Noggin is fabricating a scenario that doesn’t exist.

As a nationalist you probably don’t appreciate that Britain is a migrant nation. Always has been.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2021 8:26]

Iron Lion Zion

Emma Raducanu on 08:28 - Sep 10 with 3307 viewsPassionNotAnger

Emma Raducanu on 08:15 - Sep 10 by Darth_Koont

No, he was having a dig about a perceived group of people that hadn't yet vocalised a view (on here at least) rather that congratulating the young women on her achievements so far.

Posts like his (and to an extent yours) effectively promote division by highlighting conflict - the fact is that by Noggin pointing our her ethnicity or heritage it's brought that to the forefront of peoples minds rather than her sporting prowess.

Many won't have even considered where her parents were from - now they will - how does that serve any "cause".

Personally I would have through those who want to promote equality and harmony would be better served by simply focusing and celebrating successes rather than differences.
Emma Raducanu on 08:29 - Sep 10 with 3295 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Come on now all of you, international break is nearly over and we have been doing so well.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Emma Raducanu on 08:30 - Sep 10 with 3292 viewsCaptainAhab

Emma Raducanu on 08:21 - Sep 10 by GlasgowBlue

I don’t recall mass “gammon” heartache over the wonderful achievements of Sir Mohamed Farah and his remarkable success on the track.

As a nationalist you probably don’t appreciate that Britain is a migrant nation. Always has been.

Plenty of people on the Times website this morning, getting irate at her being called British. Weird, sad people just trolling I'd imagine.
Emma Raducanu on 08:30 - Sep 10 with 3291 viewsDarth_Koont

Well, you could say the same about Farah too.

There’s a disconnect in the debate surrounding immigration that’s dominated our politics for the past couple of decades and cost us more than we can imagine.

Emma Raducanu on 08:37 - Sep 10 with 3252 viewsDigger77

And this is why the left never win elections.

Keep up the good work!
Emma Raducanu on 08:38 - Sep 10 with 3245 viewsDarth_Koont

Emma Raducanu on 08:28 - Sep 10 by PassionNotAnger

No, he was having a dig about a perceived group of people that hadn't yet vocalised a view (on here at least) rather that congratulating the young women on her achievements so far.

Posts like his (and to an extent yours) effectively promote division by highlighting conflict - the fact is that by Noggin pointing our her ethnicity or heritage it's brought that to the forefront of peoples minds rather than her sporting prowess.

Many won't have even considered where her parents were from - now they will - how does that serve any "cause".

Personally I would have through those who want to promote equality and harmony would be better served by simply focusing and celebrating successes rather than differences.

Why can’t she be held up as a positive example of immigration? Why can’t anyone point out the inherent strangeness of the “gammonista” position and the division that they themselves instigated?

And if people put half the energy into calling out that insular and damaging stuff as they do into monitoring the tone of those who fundamentally disagree with it, then perhaps we wouldn’t have gotten ourselves into such a mess.

Emma Raducanu on 08:45 - Sep 10 with 3200 viewseireblue

I don’t think noggin used the word mass.

But I do recall a certain poster, who lived near a village green, implying that the only British thing about Mo was his passport.
Emma Raducanu on 08:48 - Sep 10 with 3176 viewshomer_123

Emma Raducanu on 08:38 - Sep 10 by Darth_Koont

Why can’t she be held up as a positive example of immigration? Why can’t anyone point out the inherent strangeness of the “gammonista” position and the division that they themselves instigated?

And if people put half the energy into calling out that insular and damaging stuff as they do into monitoring the tone of those who fundamentally disagree with it, then perhaps we wouldn’t have gotten ourselves into such a mess.

To me, surely you just celebrate the fact she's reached the final, done well etc.

I hope she wins it - that would be bloody superb!!!

The very 'first' thing we shouldn't be doing is discussing her background.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2021 8:51]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Emma Raducanu on 08:50 - Sep 10 with 3161 viewsPassionNotAnger

Emma Raducanu on 08:38 - Sep 10 by Darth_Koont

God you have to argue with every point don't you?

There is NOTHING wrong with her being a positive example of immigration but shouldn't that be down to her to call out? I'm sure as a teenager sports star finding her way she's probably focusing on developing her talent and assume (at that age) she'd probably quite like people just to focus on that right now??

And, of course it's peoples right (and strength) to point out and challenge ignorance, prejudice etc - BUT - provocatively using her achievements (without a single word of praise or recognition for what she has done) on a forum where nobody has offered any slight or reference to her heritage to have a dig at others is, frankly just a bit sad a pathetic and just causes conflict and division (on here) where it wasn't evident.

I hate racism and prejudice with every ounce of my body and where I've witnessed I've called it directly (sometimes in difficult circumstances) but to go looking for an issue and deliberately calling out differences rather than use the opportunity to celebrate success and inclusivity is entirely the wrong way to go about things (in my opinion)

Now, I appreciate you will ignore everything I've said, manufacture how I've said something wrong etc but please please please - just for once - reflect and see if a view which is alternative to your may just have some credibility
Emma Raducanu on 08:57 - Sep 10 with 3117 viewsDarth_Koont

Emma Raducanu on 08:50 - Sep 10 by PassionNotAnger

God you have to argue with every point don't you?

There is NOTHING wrong with her being a positive example of immigration but shouldn't that be down to her to call out? I'm sure as a teenager sports star finding her way she's probably focusing on developing her talent and assume (at that age) she'd probably quite like people just to focus on that right now??

And, of course it's peoples right (and strength) to point out and challenge ignorance, prejudice etc - BUT - provocatively using her achievements (without a single word of praise or recognition for what she has done) on a forum where nobody has offered any slight or reference to her heritage to have a dig at others is, frankly just a bit sad a pathetic and just causes conflict and division (on here) where it wasn't evident.

I hate racism and prejudice with every ounce of my body and where I've witnessed I've called it directly (sometimes in difficult circumstances) but to go looking for an issue and deliberately calling out differences rather than use the opportunity to celebrate success and inclusivity is entirely the wrong way to go about things (in my opinion)

Now, I appreciate you will ignore everything I've said, manufacture how I've said something wrong etc but please please please - just for once - reflect and see if a view which is alternative to your may just have some credibility

You’re right. I do see it differently from you.

We’ve had years and years of Daily Mail headlines, political parties set up on the principle of being against someone like Raducanu coming to Britain at all, and hugely damaging political and economic decisions as a result.

Noggin has a point. And his little dig against that significant force in society seems mild to say the least.

Emma Raducanu on 09:01 - Sep 10 with 3083 viewsGlasgowBlue

Emma Raducanu on 08:57 - Sep 10 by Darth_Koont

You’re right. I do see it differently from you.

We’ve had years and years of Daily Mail headlines, political parties set up on the principle of being against someone like Raducanu coming to Britain at all, and hugely damaging political and economic decisions as a result.

Noggin has a point. And his little dig against that significant force in society seems mild to say the least.

You and noggin are using Emma Raducanu as a political tennis ball (excuse the pun).

Just be happy for her ffs.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2021 9:15]

Iron Lion Zion

Emma Raducanu on 09:03 - Sep 10 with 3086 viewsDarth_Koont

Emma Raducanu on 08:48 - Sep 10 by homer_123

To me, surely you just celebrate the fact she's reached the final, done well etc.

I hope she wins it - that would be bloody superb!!!

The very 'first' thing we shouldn't be doing is discussing her background.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2021 8:51]

Well, I agree it shouldn’t be the first thing. She’s an individual, before she’s even British and certainly not a political pawn.

But on reflection there is stuff to unpack there as she’s unfailingly seen as British by the sort of people and newspapers who have been denying Britishness and othering people like Raducanu for years.

Noggin’s observation is pretty sharp. But that’s why I like it.

Emma Raducanu on 09:05 - Sep 10 with 3059 viewsDarth_Koont

Emma Raducanu on 09:01 - Sep 10 by GlasgowBlue

You and noggin are using Emma Raducanu as a political tennis ball (excuse the pun).

Just be happy for her ffs.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2021 9:15]

See above. And I am happy for her.

It’s been a fantastic few months for her and British tennis.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024