Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Emma Raducanu 06:22 - Sep 10 with 11651 viewsnoggin

This is gonna hurt the gammonista. Born in Canada to a Chinese mother and Hungarian father. Love it.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

I wouldn't expect it to wind you up..... on 13:38 - Sep 10 with 993 viewsJ2BLUE

I wouldn't expect it to wind you up..... on 13:37 - Sep 10 by Ewan_Oozami

Just the anti-battenbergers to get rid of now I think....

There would only be three of you wrong uns remaining.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The only "backlash"...... on 13:47 - Sep 10 with 962 viewsDarth_Koont

The only "backlash"...... on 13:28 - Sep 10 by Bloots

....certainly from my perspective is just the quite obvious intention of it.

You're quite happy with it because you think it's annoying "the right" and also now "the centrists". Essentially anyone that doesn't share the same views as you.

QED.

Pointless.

(add another TV show if you wish)

The Great British P/ss Boil?

The fact you can’t handle an admittedly sharp but valid take on the state of our right-wing nation and those who are leading it by the nose is interesting.

I mean, when was the last time you got so agitated by someone talking about “woke” and “snowflakes”? Neither of which make me remotely upset either FWIW.

My take is that you don’t like other people calling this stuff out for what it is and what you’re self-satisfied enough to let slide. And you’re not doing a lot to convince me otherwise.

Pronouns: He/Him

Emma Raducanu on 13:48 - Sep 10 with 952 viewsPhilTWTD

Romanian father.
I wouldn't expect it to wind you up..... on 13:51 - Sep 10 with 919 viewsEwan_Oozami

I wouldn't expect it to wind you up..... on 13:38 - Sep 10 by J2BLUE

There would only be three of you wrong uns remaining.

The "Battenburg Bubble"......

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

I wouldn't expect it to wind you up..... on 13:54 - Sep 10 with 908 viewsJ2BLUE

I wouldn't expect it to wind you up..... on 13:51 - Sep 10 by Ewan_Oozami

The "Battenburg Bubble"......

Keenly Noshing Outstanding Battenburg Society

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The only "backlash"...... on 13:56 - Sep 10 with 897 viewsPassionNotAnger

The only "backlash"...... on 13:47 - Sep 10 by Darth_Koont

The Great British P/ss Boil?

The fact you can’t handle an admittedly sharp but valid take on the state of our right-wing nation and those who are leading it by the nose is interesting.

I mean, when was the last time you got so agitated by someone talking about “woke” and “snowflakes”? Neither of which make me remotely upset either FWIW.

My take is that you don’t like other people calling this stuff out for what it is and what you’re self-satisfied enough to let slide. And you’re not doing a lot to convince me otherwise.

You're either thick or argumentative - the "problem" many have - is purely that the original post failed to actually acknowledge or celebrate the sporting achievement - instead just went for digging out people who weren't vocal, evident or even don't exist on this forum.

It's really not hard to comprehend

Lots of those (like me) who have expressed frustration are also very much against racism, discrimination and prejudice but it doesn't mean they can't call out what they perceive as inappropriateness of those who may share similar views on that.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2021 13:58]
Emma Raducanu on 13:59 - Sep 10 with 876 viewsVaughan8

I find it strange that people can't grasp that other people in the world move counties and at a young age. if you were born somewhere (Country A), but then moved at 2 years old to Country B, wouldn't you feel more like you are country B?

There different situations were people change countries at a later ages but this one isn't hard to understand?
Emma Raducanu on 14:02 - Sep 10 with 868 viewsBlueNomad

I have just looked on the BBC Have Your Say page which chose her success as topic of the day. I visit it most days (for a look) and sadly it is down to its usual sad level of nationalistic xenophobia. Suffice to say their moderators have been particularly busy today.
Login to get fewer ads

The only "backlash"..... on 14:02 - Sep 10 with 867 viewsDarth_Koont

The only "backlash"...... on 13:56 - Sep 10 by PassionNotAnger

You're either thick or argumentative - the "problem" many have - is purely that the original post failed to actually acknowledge or celebrate the sporting achievement - instead just went for digging out people who weren't vocal, evident or even don't exist on this forum.

It's really not hard to comprehend

Lots of those (like me) who have expressed frustration are also very much against racism, discrimination and prejudice but it doesn't mean they can't call out what they perceive as inappropriateness of those who may share similar views on that.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2021 13:58]

Why does anyone have to post their thoughts in your approved order?

If someone was making a point about the England players getting abused by racists, they don’t have to preface that by saying how well England did to get to the final in the first place.

Noggin’s post exists perfectly well within its own context. You just want him to think like you about the whole thing i.e. not a lot.

The only "backlash"..... on 14:17 - Sep 10 with 787 viewsPassionNotAnger

The only "backlash"..... on 14:02 - Sep 10 by Darth_Koont

If someone was making a point about the England players getting abused by racists, they don’t have to preface that by saying how well England did to get to the final in the first place.

Noggin’s post exists perfectly well within its own context. You just want him to think like you about the whole thing i.e. not a lot.

But Noggin didn't point out or highlight nasty comments that had been made by people in relation to her heritage etc - he went on a pre-emptive attack that certain people weren't going to be happy. He wasn't defending anyone at that point?

Perversely by doing that he actually highlighted something that should be largely irrelevant and has stoked division where it didn't need to be.

You won't agree or even consider the above, you never ever do unfortunately.
The only "backlash"..... on 14:19 - Sep 10 with 780 viewsGlasgowBlue

The only "backlash"..... on 14:02 - Sep 10 by Darth_Koont

Your analogy doesn’t make sense koonters.

Black English footballs were and are getting racist abuse. It is quite right to call out vile racist scum for abusing them.

I’m not aware of widespread displeasure in Emma getting to the final of the USOpen because she is from an immigrant background.

Noggin’s op was not condemning people for abusing Emma. It was a Paz style post designed use her success to rub the noses of an imagined bogeyman.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The only "backlash"..... on 14:25 - Sep 10 with 753 viewsTangledupin_Blue

The only "backlash"..... on 14:19 - Sep 10 by GlasgowBlue

Your analogy doesn’t make sense koonters.

Black English footballs were and are getting racist abuse. It is quite right to call out vile racist scum for abusing them.

I’m not aware of widespread displeasure in Emma getting to the final of the USOpen because she is from an immigrant background.

Noggin’s op was not condemning people for abusing Emma. It was a Paz style post designed use her success to rub the noses of an imagined bogeyman.

...or perhaps it was a prescient comment acknowledging an uncomfortable truth.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

The only "backlash"..... on 14:32 - Sep 10 with 714 viewsDarth_Koont

The only "backlash"..... on 14:25 - Sep 10 by Tangledupin_Blue

...or perhaps it was a prescient comment acknowledging an uncomfortable truth.

Indeed. So uncomfortable that people are struggling to take it on its own terms.

Emma Raducanu on 14:33 - Sep 10 with 706 viewsStirlingArcher

Apart from the Romanian/Hungarian mix up - Noggin is right.

however, did it need saying or should it have been said is more the question.

I think if it was a retort to a post then fine, but as a post start - inflammatory
Emma Raducanu on 14:34 - Sep 10 with 695 viewschicoazul

Emma Raducanu on 11:48 - Sep 10 by Tangledupin_Blue

I don't see why people are having such a pop at Noggin in this thread. We British (perhaps English) have, for as long as I can remember, had an ambivalent attitude regarding the provenance of those who represent us in sport. Zola Budd, Greg Rusedski, Graeme Hick are examples. There was disapproving harrumphing directed at Mo Farah. And there is still outright racism directed at our black footballers born in this country.

It appears to me that Noggin is having a gentle swipe at the racists. Those who are criticising him are, perhaps, not far removed from those who boo England's footballers for taking the knee.

Jesus Chris your last sentence, what a stupid take.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

You didn't use the term "racist"..... on 14:36 - Sep 10 with 687 viewsBloots

Nah, Noggin's observation is..... on 13:32 - Sep 10 by noggin

If you mean to wind up racists, then yes, I hold my hands up. If not, which political persuasion do you mean?
[Post edited 10 Sep 2021 13:33]

....you used the term "gammon".

Gammon is a pejorative that isn't specifically aimed at racists.

In fact you could argue that using the term "gammon" is in itself racist.

TWTD Leadership Group: Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Anti-Bullying Crusader

Emma Raducanu on 14:40 - Sep 10 with 657 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Emma Raducanu on 14:34 - Sep 10 by chicoazul

Jesus Chris your last sentence, what a stupid take.

Okay. Perhaps you could point out a flaw in it if you are able to find one.

(btw, my name isn't Chris).

Emma Raducanu on 14:42 - Sep 10 with 634 viewschicoazul

Emma Raducanu on 14:40 - Sep 10 by Tangledupin_Blue

Okay. Perhaps you could point out a flaw in it if you are able to find one.

(btw, my name isn't Chris).

You think Bloots and Glassers for eg are “perhaps” similar to the people who boo taking the knee. That’s amazingly dumb. I’ve never noticed you before, do you always say dumb stuff?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Bit of a mix I think..... on 14:43 - Sep 10 with 626 viewsRyorry

Bit of a mix I think..... on 09:54 - Sep 10 by Bloots

...Paz got banned and a lot of the LBF realised that without him they had very little need to post on the board, so they just banned themselves.

There's been a noticeable difference in the board, particularly during this International break, when normally everyone would go a bit tonto.

Huzzah.

Point of order - Spruce voluntarily left before Paz was (quite rightly) booted.

Had it been the other way round & Paz banned first, I think Spruce might well still have been here. Shame it happened as it did, cos I miss the ol Moose - hope he returns when his summer hol meanderings in the forest draw to a close.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Emma Raducanu on 14:46 - Sep 10 with 601 viewsRyorry

Emma Raducanu on 13:59 - Sep 10 by Vaughan8

I find it strange that people can't grasp that other people in the world move counties and at a young age. if you were born somewhere (Country A), but then moved at 2 years old to Country B, wouldn't you feel more like you are country B?

There different situations were people change countries at a later ages but this one isn't hard to understand?

Yeah, but which cricket team do they support?

("the Tebbit test)

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Emma Raducanu on 14:49 - Sep 10 with 596 viewsDarth_Koont

Emma Raducanu on 14:42 - Sep 10 by chicoazul

You think Bloots and Glassers for eg are “perhaps” similar to the people who boo taking the knee. That’s amazingly dumb. I’ve never noticed you before, do you always say dumb stuff?

Isn’t the BLM booers’ criticism that sport shouldn’t be political?

So not so far removed.

Emma Raducanu on 14:52 - Sep 10 with 580 viewsSwansea_Blue

Emma Raducanu on 13:59 - Sep 10 by Vaughan8

You certainly would feel part of this country if you moved here as a child, but that doesn't mean you'd be treated as belonging to the country. We are planning to deport people people tomorrow who have lived here since they were kids and know no other home - https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/aug/05/outcry-over-plan-to-deport-jamai (these are people with convictions, granted, but we don't tend to export convicts any more).

As I mentioned earlier, the only distinction is citizenship (albeit an important distinction). Those who haven't/can't apply for citizenship are treated very differently irrespective of when they arrived, or in some cases even if they were born here.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2021 14:57]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Emma Raducanu on 14:53 - Sep 10 with 574 viewschicoazul

Emma Raducanu on 14:49 - Sep 10 by Darth_Koont

Isn’t the BLM booers’ criticism that sport shouldn’t be political?

So not so far removed.

So bloots and Glassers are not so far removed from the people who boo taking the knee? Just so we’re clear? That’s what you think?

Emma Raducanu on 14:54 - Sep 10 with 564 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Emma Raducanu on 14:42 - Sep 10 by chicoazul

Noggin's op is clearly intended as anti-racist. Some posters are criticising him for it.

Footballers 'taking the knee' is clearly intended as anti-racist. Some in the crowd (and up and down the country) booed and otherwise criticised them for it.

Are the two so very different?

btw, I don't for a moment believe Glassers and Bloots and others are racist but in this case they are on the wrong side of the argument.

Edit... forgot to say... it is for others to say whether my posts are 'dumb'.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2021 14:57]

But do you like pineapple with that? (n/t) on 14:54 - Sep 10 with 563 viewsSwansea_Blue

You didn't use the term "racist"..... on 14:36 - Sep 10 by Bloots

....you used the term "gammon".

Gammon is a pejorative that isn't specifically aimed at racists.

In fact you could argue that using the term "gammon" is in itself racist.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024