Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Emma Raducanu 06:22 - Sep 10 with 11650 viewsnoggin

This is gonna hurt the gammonista. Born in Canada to a Chinese mother and Hungarian father. Love it.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Bit of a mix I think..... on 15:34 - Sep 10 with 1257 viewsJ2BLUE

Bit of a mix I think..... on 14:43 - Sep 10 by Ryorry

Point of order - Spruce voluntarily left before Paz was (quite rightly) booted.

Had it been the other way round & Paz banned first, I think Spruce might well still have been here. Shame it happened as it did, cos I miss the ol Moose - hope he returns when his summer hol meanderings in the forest draw to a close.

Had it been the other way round & Paz banned first, I think Spruce might well still have been here.

Excellent point. You can all stand down, my POTY nomination is already sorted.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The only "backlash"...... on 15:36 - Sep 10 with 1247 viewsPassionNotAnger

The only "backlash"...... on 15:02 - Sep 10 by noggin

"the "problem" many have - is purely that the original post failed to actually acknowledge or celebrate the sporting achievement"

Actually, my last 2 words were celebrating her success. I "love it" that an immigrant is having success while representing Britain. Hopefully you're happy now.

I very much doubt if anyone actually believes the intent of your "love it" was in relation to the young lady as it looks pretty obvious that were signalling your happiness that some (idiots/racist and the like) were going to get triggered based on her heritage

But for avoidance of any doubt - had you started the thread about how well she'd done etc and it was a shame that some idiots were triggered (perhaps referencing comments you'd seen elsewhere) and that it make you laugh how the idiots were offended/annoyed I'd have 100% supported that view. Just think it was a shame that's not how it comes across - pretty sure most rational people can see that - perhaps you can if you reflect on it?
Emma Raducanu on 15:37 - Sep 10 with 1240 viewschicoazul

Emma Raducanu on 15:29 - Sep 10 by wkj

It is a good time to mention that the term 'Gammon' is a slur, but not a racist one.

Where the non-racist slur qualifies in your book of social acceptance is up to you, as is how acceptable it is.

Not so much a defense of the OP as much as it is important not to cheapen the plight of the people who are persecuted and victimized based on their ethnicity.

How do you know what everyone means when they say Gammon. I don’t think it’s that clear. Context is very important; certain things you and I would consider for eg homophobic slurs and would never say have been joyously claimed by many people in the gay community. What one man might say in a steaming 4am sweat box in Kings Cross Sydney could be the same as another man flings at West Ham across the terraces at Milwall. But the intent and context is different.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

I don't think people should be "called out"..... on 15:38 - Sep 10 with 1226 viewsBloots

Do you think it's insulting..... on 15:28 - Sep 10 by Darth_Koont

Where did I suggest that you boo the knee? I’m sure you don’t as those people seem to mostly object to having racism called out.

I think your bugbear is having the right called out.

....for having a different political view to your own, on the assumption that that particular political view isn't of such an extreme nature that it is inherently harmful or offensive to others.

If you think I have any sympathy or allegiance to "the right" you are wrong.

TWTD Leadership Group: Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Anti-Bullying Crusader

Bit of a mix I think..... on 15:40 - Sep 10 with 1202 viewswkj

Bit of a mix I think..... on 14:43 - Sep 10 by Ryorry

Point of order - Spruce voluntarily left before Paz was (quite rightly) booted.

Had it been the other way round & Paz banned first, I think Spruce might well still have been here. Shame it happened as it did, cos I miss the ol Moose - hope he returns when his summer hol meanderings in the forest draw to a close.

I still speak with him on occasion - and whilst I see where you're coming from, his decision to vacate wasn't contingent on Paz. That was a little part of the puzzle as they say.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Noggers has clarified that.... on 15:42 - Sep 10 with 1185 viewsBloots

Emma Raducanu on 15:29 - Sep 10 by wkj

It is a good time to mention that the term 'Gammon' is a slur, but not a racist one.

Where the non-racist slur qualifies in your book of social acceptance is up to you, as is how acceptable it is.

Not so much a defense of the OP as much as it is important not to cheapen the plight of the people who are persecuted and victimized based on their ethnicity.

....did mean "racists" in this instance.

TWTD Leadership Group: Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Anti-Bullying Crusader

Emma Raducanu on 15:44 - Sep 10 with 1178 viewsJ2BLUE

Emma Raducanu on 15:06 - Sep 10 by noggin

Just to clear things up, I wasn't having a dig at anyone on here so no need for anyone to get their panties in a twist. Having said that, if anyone on here does have a problem with the fact she's an immigrant, then yes, it's a little dig at them.

This is sort of the point. No one here said anything. The only mentions of her had been positive yet you felt the need to make this thread anyway. Why not make the thread where it needs to be made rather than on a tolerant forum where no one has said a thing about it?

If anyone said anything negative on here it would be quickly shot down.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Emma Raducanu on 15:48 - Sep 10 with 1161 viewswkj

Emma Raducanu on 15:37 - Sep 10 by chicoazul

How do you know what everyone means when they say Gammon. I don’t think it’s that clear. Context is very important; certain things you and I would consider for eg homophobic slurs and would never say have been joyously claimed by many people in the gay community. What one man might say in a steaming 4am sweat box in Kings Cross Sydney could be the same as another man flings at West Ham across the terraces at Milwall. But the intent and context is different.

Not making assumptions on what anyone means - gammon isn't a race. Unless we're talking literal pigs - and even then it is a species.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Login to get fewer ads

Do you think it's insulting..... on 16:02 - Sep 10 with 1113 viewsRyorry

Do you think it's insulting..... on 15:28 - Sep 10 by Darth_Koont

Where did I suggest that you boo the knee? I’m sure you don’t as those people seem to mostly object to having racism called out.

I think your bugbear is having the right called out.

This is the very definition of disingenuous. And don't ask me to explain, you know exactly what I mean.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Emma Raducanu on 16:12 - Sep 10 with 1084 viewsnoggin

Emma Raducanu on 15:44 - Sep 10 by J2BLUE

This is sort of the point. No one here said anything. The only mentions of her had been positive yet you felt the need to make this thread anyway. Why not make the thread where it needs to be made rather than on a tolerant forum where no one has said a thing about it?

If anyone said anything negative on here it would be quickly shot down.

Well if nothing else, it opened a discussion about the meaning of gammon.

Emma Raducanu on 16:58 - Sep 10 with 1000 viewsgiant_stow

Emma Raducanu on 14:54 - Sep 10 by Tangledupin_Blue

Noggin's op is clearly intended as anti-racist. Some posters are criticising him for it.

Footballers 'taking the knee' is clearly intended as anti-racist. Some in the crowd (and up and down the country) booed and otherwise criticised them for it.

Are the two so very different?

btw, I don't for a moment believe Glassers and Bloots and others are racist but in this case they are on the wrong side of the argument.

Edit... forgot to say... it is for others to say whether my posts are 'dumb'.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2021 14:57]

So agree with Noggin's post or you're on the wrong side of the argument? Gawd, I had no idea winding people up on message boards was so noble!

Btw, on this 'Gammon' thing, can Gammons be non-white?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Emma Raducanu on 17:10 - Sep 10 with 967 viewsDigger77

Emma Raducanu on 16:58 - Sep 10 by giant_stow

So agree with Noggin's post or you're on the wrong side of the argument? Gawd, I had no idea winding people up on message boards was so noble!

All gammon matter.
Do you think it's insulting..... on 18:40 - Sep 10 with 874 viewsDarth_Koont

Do you think it's insulting..... on 16:02 - Sep 10 by Ryorry

This is the very definition of disingenuous. And don't ask me to explain, you know exactly what I mean.

Really? As I still don’t know why Bloots is so exercised about “gammons” then I’m trying to make sense of why he is coming to the defence of them.

He’s never been this concerned about “abuse” and ACTUAL divisive political beliefs going the other way.

But fair enough, let’s give him the benefit of the doubt and just say it’s his comfort with the way things are that he’s defending. It’s quite possible he really doesn’t think beyond that anyway.

Pronouns: He/Him

Emma Raducanu on 18:45 - Sep 10 with 853 viewsDarth_Koont

Noggin makes an interesting point that’s worth discussing. Getting overly agitated by it or rejecting it out of hand has been the problem on this thread.

We don’t humanise immigration enough (until a dead child is washed ashore) and we seldom if ever celebrate it. Maybe we wouldn’t get our knickers in a twist and sabotage the country so much if we did.

Non-white gammons? Sure. Priti Patel, that Calvin Robinson I’ve just become aware of, Trevor Phillips ... it’s not about colour or even that much about political parties. Just the reactionary, vein-popping force of a middle-aged white man getting angry about life and evolution finally catching up.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2021 18:51]

Emma Raducanu on 18:46 - Sep 10 with 848 viewsnoggin

"Btw, on this 'Gammon' thing, can Gammons be non-white?"

Yes, when they're angry, which is quite often.

There's so much wrong in this post..... on 19:03 - Sep 10 with 824 viewsBloots

Do you think it's insulting..... on 18:40 - Sep 10 by Darth_Koont

Really? As I still don’t know why Bloots is so exercised about “gammons” then I’m trying to make sense of why he is coming to the defence of them.

He’s never been this concerned about “abuse” and ACTUAL divisive political beliefs going the other way.

But fair enough, let’s give him the benefit of the doubt and just say it’s his comfort with the way things are that he’s defending. It’s quite possible he really doesn’t think beyond that anyway.

....that it's barely worth responding, let alone trying to address your ridiculous accusations.

Your inability to have any sort of discussion with anyone that you don't agree with without resorting to sweeping generalisations shows a serious lack of intellect as well as just being a particularly unpleasant individual.

I thought this board had been cleansed of your type.

Sadly not.

For now.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2021 19:12]

There's so much wrong in this post..... on 19:36 - Sep 10 with 772 viewsDarth_Koont

There's so much wrong in this post..... on 19:03 - Sep 10 by Bloots

....that it's barely worth responding, let alone trying to address your ridiculous accusations.

Your inability to have any sort of discussion with anyone that you don't agree with without resorting to sweeping generalisations shows a serious lack of intellect as well as just being a particularly unpleasant individual.

I thought this board had been cleansed of your type.

Sadly not.

For now.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2021 19:12]

I can’t say I ever notice your posts until here you are wading in to defend the “honour” of “gammons”. Of all people.

If I’ve got this wrong and you’re some principled defender of all then I apologise. And look forward to watching your work more closely.

You appear to get most things wrong..... on 19:52 - Sep 10 with 724 viewsBloots

There's so much wrong in this post..... on 19:36 - Sep 10 by Darth_Koont

I can’t say I ever notice your posts until here you are wading in to defend the “honour” of “gammons”. Of all people.

If I’ve got this wrong and you’re some principled defender of all then I apologise. And look forward to watching your work more closely.

....to be fair.

Claiming that I am in any way defending "gammons" is just one of them.

I don't need or want an apology from you in the slightest.

Frankly you are totally insignificant.

Do you think it's insulting..... on 19:56 - Sep 10 with 710 viewsGlasgowBlue

Do you think it's insulting..... on 18:40 - Sep 10 by Darth_Koont

You'd be right on the 'report abuse' button had somebody written a post like that about you.

Rank hypocrisy.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

You appear to get most things wrong..... on 19:59 - Sep 10 with 705 viewsDarth_Koont

You appear to get most things wrong..... on 19:52 - Sep 10 by Bloots

....to be fair.

Claiming that I am in any way defending "gammons" is just one of them.

I don't need or want an apology from you in the slightest.

Frankly you are totally insignificant.

Let’s be honest here. I skimmed through your posts of the last few months and you don’t seem to care about this or anything similar anyway. Which is fine – but doesn’t explain the current song and dance unless you were just bored.

If you want to actually discuss anything rather than police the board, then be my guest.

I made it perfectly clear what my issue was..... on 20:04 - Sep 10 with 690 viewsBloots

You appear to get most things wrong..... on 19:59 - Sep 10 by Darth_Koont

Let’s be honest here. I skimmed through your posts of the last few months and you don’t seem to care about this or anything similar anyway. Which is fine – but doesn’t explain the current song and dance unless you were just bored.

If you want to actually discuss anything rather than police the board, then be my guest.

....with the original post.

A pointless attempt at creating division on what has been a relatively harmonious board of late.

You have managed to translate that into inferring that I'm a racist.

It's not acceptable and I have no interest in discussing anything with you as a result.

Do you think it's insulting..... on 20:06 - Sep 10 with 689 viewsDarth_Koont

Do you think it's insulting..... on 19:56 - Sep 10 by GlasgowBlue

You'd be right on the 'report abuse' button had somebody written a post like that about you.

Rank hypocrisy.

No, you directly accused me of antisemitism.

I’m questioning the support for right-wing racists. Still waiting for an explanation that makes sense. In your case, you’ll defend anything against the left because that’s your real fear. That doesn’t make you a racist per se. Just a bit blinded and enabling far worse people than the left.

I made it perfectly clear what my issue was..... on 20:10 - Sep 10 with 673 viewsDarth_Koont

I made it perfectly clear what my issue was..... on 20:04 - Sep 10 by Bloots

....with the original post.

A pointless attempt at creating division on what has been a relatively harmonious board of late.

You have managed to translate that into inferring that I'm a racist.

It's not acceptable and I have no interest in discussing anything with you as a result.

No, you’re inferring.

I’m not implying that. I’ve even explicitly said that I think you’re instead defending the right. And even more likely defending your comfort because you don’t actually care much either way.

Glad I could clear this up and now we can both avoid interacting with each other.

Do you think it's insulting..... on 20:13 - Sep 10 with 661 viewsGlasgowBlue

Do you think it's insulting..... on 20:06 - Sep 10 by Darth_Koont

No, you directly accused me of antisemitism.

I’m questioning the support for right-wing racists. Still waiting for an explanation that makes sense. In your case, you’ll defend anything against the left because that’s your real fear. That doesn’t make you a racist per se. Just a bit blinded and enabling far worse people than the left.

Where the holy fcuk has anyone defended or supported right wing racists?

Racists are scum. Right wing or left wing. They are all scum. Anyone defending or supporting racists on this boar are put in their place pdq. And they tend not to last long on here.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

He's a low rent inverted Paz..... on 20:17 - Sep 10 with 647 viewsBloots

Do you think it's insulting..... on 20:13 - Sep 10 by GlasgowBlue

Where the holy fcuk has anyone defended or supported right wing racists?

Racists are scum. Right wing or left wing. They are all scum. Anyone defending or supporting racists on this boar are put in their place pdq. And they tend not to last long on here.

....making snidey inferences so that he can defend himself by claiming that he "didn't actually say it".

A dreadful individual.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024