Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Your 911 memories... 08:15 - Sep 10 with 3127 viewsbluelagos

I managed to be one of the few people who missed it developing. Was visiting a brewery in Benin city, Nigeria and was offline all day, blissfully unaware of what was happening 5k miles away.

Went to the bar after work and someone has put a page print out from the CNN website on the notice board so we asked them to put CNN on the telly. Then watched the events as reported perhaps 3 - 4 hours afterwards.

Sat in silence watching CNN that evening with barely a word said, just utterly stunned.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Your 911 memories... on 08:26 - Sep 10 with 2004 viewsDarth_Koont

Like you, it was all about stunned silence. Someone down the corridor at work first picked it up and everyone started watching.

Then a dazed journey home and more silence watching the aftermath unfold. Words were just impossible.

Pronouns: He/Him

Your 911 memories... on 08:30 - Sep 10 with 1995 viewsgiant_stow

I was in the office and the Internet was not up to live video feeds, so we all went next door to the pub to watch the live news, along with loads of other office workers. Think we got in there just in time for the 2nd plane to hit and everyone's blood ran cold.

Also remember everyone phoning people in City towers telling them to get out, as for all we knew, it was the start of something global.

Never known that sense of mortal panic before or since.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Your 911 memories... on 08:41 - Sep 10 with 1960 viewsFtnfwest

getting home from London was, let's just say interesting..
Your 911 memories... on 08:42 - Sep 10 with 1957 viewsCaptainAhab

Was a delivery driver in London at the time. My girlfriend was living in Bristol and had taken the day off sick (hungover) and called me to tell me to turn the radio on just before the second plane hit. I remember the confusion, thinking it was a weird accident, turning to horror and then paranoia, staring at every plane that passed overhead, wondering if we'd be next.
Your 911 memories... on 08:47 - Sep 10 with 1942 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I was working at Tescos in Chelmsford at the time and was at home for lunch when the first plane struck. Assuming it was a tragic accident, I cycled back to work and told my mum, who worked on the deli counter. She said, "It's two planes now." I just said, "WHAT?!" I couldn't understand.

Took me a few seconds to compute that that would be REALLY unlucky and that it must be deliberate in some way. It was like my brain was searching through its files for previous experiences and coming back with, "Nope, we've got nothing on this." I guess that's where the term dumbstruck comes from.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Your 911 memories... on 08:48 - Sep 10 with 1942 viewsBasuco

I was on driving back home after working in Watford and listened to it unfold on the radio, when I got home I just shouted to my American neighbour that America was under attack. His first thought was that I was joking, then I just started shouting "bast@rds" at the tv, he came into my lounge to watch CNN as they were showing people jumping out of very high windows to a certain death. Horrific. Listening to the live radio reports was like being in a tv drama or film, just felt unreal and that someone would say "only joking".
Your 911 memories... on 08:49 - Sep 10 with 1941 viewshomer_123

I remember watching it unfold and thinking 'this isn't real'.

To be honest, even looking back I find it difficult to comprehend what happened.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Your 911 memories... on 09:36 - Sep 10 with 1856 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

Sat by a pool in Gran Canaria. Popped back to the room for a Tom Tit and caught what was happening on the pool bar TV.

Sat in disbelief for the next few hours.

A couple of days later on departure, all inbound and outbound flights were being shadowed by Spanish Airforce Jets.
Login to get fewer ads

Your 911 memories... on 09:38 - Sep 10 with 1844 viewsKieran_Knows

I had just got in from Primary School and remember watching it on the telly with my Mum. Can still remember it quite vividly, even though I was only 9 at the time.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Your 911 memories... on 09:43 - Sep 10 with 1809 viewsCheltenham_Blue

As I've mentioned previously, I was in NY after covering the US Open for the agency I was working for at the time. Having never been, I stopped for an extra week to see the place.

At the time the first plane hit, I had just left my hotel and was walking to Canal Street.

I haven't been back to this day.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Your 911 memories... on 09:47 - Sep 10 with 1810 viewsGavTWTD

I was working in my office and saw a thread on here saying that a plane had gone into one of the towers and I turned the tv on to see the second one hit live. Just so awful seeing it unfold but I couldn't look away. Certainly the biggest thing in my life perhaps apart from the pandemic. The scale of it was uncomprehensible as well as the news of other planes.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Your 911 memories... on 09:54 - Sep 10 with 1766 viewsWD19

I was visiting a girlfriend in Nice. First I saw of it was on a small TV in a local convenience store. Was totally surreal.
Your 911 memories... on 09:58 - Sep 10 with 1750 viewsgtsb1966

I was on nights and would get up mid afternoon and always put SKY news on. The first thing I saw was a clip of one of the planes hitting the tower and I honestly thought it was a film trailer. Once realisation dawned I sat there totally stunned.
Your 911 memories... on 09:59 - Sep 10 with 1745 viewsMookamoo

Was working for an advertising agency, which amongst other things was responsible for a lot of in-store news feeds - like those ticker tape feeds at the bottom of Sky News, so we had the live TV on in the office all the time. Watched it all live assuming the first plane was just a small aircraft.
Your 911 memories... on 10:11 - Sep 10 with 1668 viewsGarv

At the dentist before going to primary school, everyone watching on the TV in the waiting room. Even at a young age the event stuck in my mind and it still seems unreal when watching footage now.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Your 911 memories... on 10:12 - Sep 10 with 1662 viewshype313

Thought they were a bang average boy band in all honesty.

Not a patch on Brother Beyond.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Your 911 memories... on 10:16 - Sep 10 with 1641 viewsGuthrum

I'm hardly ever physically ill, but that day felt so gross I got sent home from work. Sat down with a hot water bottle and turned on the TV just in time to see footage of the second 'plane hitting the South Tower. Might have been a replay, but certainly it was a while before the first building fell.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Your 911 memories... on 10:25 - Sep 10 with 1609 viewsRobTheMonk

I remember coming home from school ready to watch some TV. I was 14 and in a strange type of awe at what was going on.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2021 10:42]
Your 911 memories... on 10:35 - Sep 10 with 1587 viewsJ2BLUE

Your 911 memories... on 09:47 - Sep 10 by GavTWTD

I was working in my office and saw a thread on here saying that a plane had gone into one of the towers and I turned the tv on to see the second one hit live. Just so awful seeing it unfold but I couldn't look away. Certainly the biggest thing in my life perhaps apart from the pandemic. The scale of it was uncomprehensible as well as the news of other planes.

Same here. Was round a mate's and we sat there watching it. I don't think either of us truly understood what we were watching.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Your 911 memories... on 10:40 - Sep 10 with 1567 viewsSwansea_Blue

Your 911 memories... on 10:25 - Sep 10 by RobTheMonk

I remember coming home from school ready to watch some TV. I was 14 and in a strange type of awe at what was going on.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2021 10:42]

Yes, if anything the initial reaction from me was one of awe. It was such an unexpected event and on such a literally incredible scale. It took a while for the significance and human cost to sink in if I remember rightly.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Your 911 memories... on 10:50 - Sep 10 with 1519 viewsSparky85

I was in 6th form at the time. Had a free period so I was in a room with a TV, which I had on when I shouldn't. Didn't know it had happened at the time and can remember watching it in a bit of a daze. Head of 6th form walked in and shouted at me for having the TV on, so I Just pointed at the screen and can remember the look on his face even now. Wasn't long after the 2nd plane hit.

The memory of the day is a bit of a daze but for some reason I always remember the look on his face when he realized what I was watching
Your 911 memories... on 10:51 - Sep 10 with 1517 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

Two things stick out.

1) I remember being near the end of the day at school (County Upper) and Mr Williams, the Head, made an announcement over the intercom system that planes had crashed in NYC.

2) that day was my parents' 25th wedding anniversary; we went out for a meal that evening and Bury was deserted.
Your 911 memories... on 10:57 - Sep 10 with 1488 viewstextbackup

Was 16, and at my 2nd day into my apprenticeship.
Had a meeting with the management team at Bibb Way, Ipswich... after about 30mins my manager set me up on my new laptop, something I’d never used before, and told me to have a play with it and ‘surf the web’ again, never done this before either! So he wrote down a few websites, first one I looked on was BBC....

Watched/read what was happening, then when they all came out of meeting for lunch I told them what I’d seen.... not really aware of how big of a thing it all was. They all shot in every direction and before I knew it i was back home as the building got locked down!

Watched the rest on skynews at home, and remember my dad saying ‘fcking hell, be a massive war kick off over this’

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Your 911 memories... on 11:08 - Sep 10 with 1458 viewsjaykay

was on the M4 coming from a job in bristol. my mate who was following in a van , rung and said are you hearing all this on the radio.
we pulled in to membury services and with other motorists watched it all unfold on t.v.
my mrs rung me and asked if i had seen it all and our neighbour had given birth to a baby boy at roughly the same time as this tragedy was unfolding

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Your 911 memories... on 11:32 - Sep 10 with 1429 viewsCoastalblue

I was repping at the thime and still living in Essex, the place where to coastal part of my name came from. I called into Does at Ulting to pick some stuff up and got back into the car with I think radio 5 on, heard it unfold on there.

Called home and spoke to my then wife who switched on the TV and saw the coverage, I headed home at that point.

We were due to fly to Florida for a family wedding on the 13th, had no idea what would happen which added to the total sense of confusion I felt.

We did eventually fly, our tickets were with American Airlines who had a crew stranded in Londo and ours was one of the only flights to go, amid crazy strict security arrangements at both ends.

Nobody else got out to the States unsurprisingly and we had a very weird couple of weeks in and around Orlando, the theme parks were almost deserted, just walk up and get on whatever ride you wanted. There were lots of holiday makers stranded who couldn't get home. A lot of the locals were very keen to engage us in conversation and realising when we had landed were all thanking us for coming, clearly felt that the UK was actually standing alongside them which was a bit surreal itself.

One of the oddest times of my life, my first (and only) trip to Florida and an experience I doubt I'll repeat.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024