Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How long have we got? 09:07 - Sep 12 with 3848 viewsBluefish

I said the turnaround needed to be within 4 games, we have one left and the bare minimum of 7 points can't be achieved. I think the automatics are done and dusted for us now. The play offs are still a possibility but finishing in the play offs means nothing unless you win them so again it is looking more and more unlikely.

90 points is usually needed for autos and that is now 2.25 points per game. That is the equivalent of a 103.5 point season

Cook has been a disaster from minute 1 and part of the problem is putting another manager on a pedestal and giving them a free hit at the start. He had an embarrassment of riches and the recruitment was haphazard and the background recruitment was a disgrace

I am struggling to be Cook out because I feel we are probably miles off actually doing it but I'm a long way from Cook in

He is on about -7 approval rating on a scale of -10 to +10
[Post edited 12 Sep 2021 9:09]

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

How long have we got? on 09:14 - Sep 12 with 2764 viewsOldboy

3 wins out of the next 5 league games for me. We should be able to make top 6 with this squad. Top 10 by Xmas and then a push for promotion. Whether that is with Cook or somebody else is anyone's guess, but if we do not start winning consistently then change needs to happen.
How long have we got? on 09:16 - Sep 12 with 2750 viewsGeorge25

It’s too early to say automatic are done and dusted, given the amount of games left. We haven’t played anyone who’s going to be there and abouts, so winning them games can massively change the standings in the table.
How long have we got? on 09:19 - Sep 12 with 2704 viewsOldboy

How long have we got? on 09:16 - Sep 12 by George25

It’s too early to say automatic are done and dusted, given the amount of games left. We haven’t played anyone who’s going to be there and abouts, so winning them games can massively change the standings in the table.

Good point. We have only been playing the participants, and losing. Thank god we only have better teams to play.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2021 9:21]
How long have we got? on 09:22 - Sep 12 with 2684 viewsDyland

How long have we got? on 09:16 - Sep 12 by George25

And how are we going to beat the better teams when we can't beat the sh1t ones? Only MK Dons have looked decent, though Bolton at times looked okay largely because of the dreadful way we were set up and Cook's inability to tactically change things. This is nothing to do with players gelling and getting used to playing with each other. So far Cook has been awful tactically. He talks a very good game, and has a good record, but thus far he's been shocking for us.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

How long have we got? on 09:26 - Sep 12 with 2667 viewsSomethingBlue

"Not very" is the truth - I suspect those upstairs will be keen to see how we are looking by the 10-game mark and Cook needs to have pulled out at least a couple of good wins, and clear signs of forwards momentum, by then.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

How long have we got? on 09:32 - Sep 12 with 2608 viewsitfcjoe

How long have we got? on 09:22 - Sep 12 by Dyland

And how are we going to beat the better teams when we can't beat the sh1t ones? Only MK Dons have looked decent, though Bolton at times looked okay largely because of the dreadful way we were set up and Cook's inability to tactically change things. This is nothing to do with players gelling and getting used to playing with each other. So far Cook has been awful tactically. He talks a very good game, and has a good record, but thus far he's been shocking for us.

And the majority of the 16 games he had in charge last season were against teams who didn’t finish in the top 10.

Really it’s 22 league games for Cook, with nearly every single one against a side who won’t compete for promotion and we’ve won 4. Lambert was even able to pick the low hanging fruit

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

How long have we got? on 09:36 - Sep 12 with 2564 viewsITFC_Forever

The biggest issue / disappointment is that Cook has an excellent record at this level.

I can remember his Wigan side beating Man City in the cup and wishing we had a team that played like that and someone like Cook as our manager… so when he was appointed, I was delighted.

He’s not a Hurst, or a fraud like Lambert… he’s a manager with a very decent pedigree at this level.

But the end of last season was poor and for all the points around the team needing to get fitter and gel, we should have more than three points from the kind opening fixtures we were dealt.
Patience and time to gel do not give immunity from criticism.

As Illy pointed out after the Wimbledon game, we’ve appointed all the scouse banter boys as coaches, but no experienced head… Cook would do well to review this before it’s too late.

I don’t think a change will be made yet, and I want Cook to succeed…. He’s been too successful elsewhere on a regular basis for it to have been a coincidence - but we need to improve PDQ.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

How long have we got? on 09:38 - Sep 12 with 2552 viewsgtsb1966

The problem we have here is that not only would we have to pay Cook the rest of his contract we would also need to pay up his totally inept coaching team.
Login to get fewer ads

How long have we got? on 09:43 - Sep 12 with 2473 viewsPippin1970

How long have we got? on 09:38 - Sep 12 by gtsb1966

The problem we have here is that not only would we have to pay Cook the rest of his contract we would also need to pay up his totally inept coaching team.

Don't think money will be the issue. They are loaded. Its the long term investment getting money back if we go higher up the pyramid.
How long have we got? on 09:45 - Sep 12 with 2455 viewsthebooks

I think you’re right about putting new managers on a pedestal. I can sort of understand why after the fag end of Lambert’s reign was so unpleasant, but of course we idolised PL even as he lead us into league one.

The Cook thing has left me particularly uncomfortable becuase of the way he failed with the old squad and then basically said they were all — every single one of them — useless. They weren’t. Ill-prepared, mismanaged and set up poorly (by him, among others), but not incapable at this level.

Us fans have gone along with this, which I think another poster described as “unseemly” — only a couple of seasons ago it was all about developing the yoofs, doing it the right “Ipswich” way etc. Obviously we needed squad additions, but a whole new team?

We now have a disjointed squad which is pretty hard to relate to unless it wins lots of games straight away. Cook is also left bemoaning the fact he has to deal with 20 new players and how much time they will take to gel. Obviously, that’s true, but he created that situation, and has allowed himself no wriggle room.
How long have we got? on 09:46 - Sep 12 with 2440 viewsChurchman

How long have we got? on 09:38 - Sep 12 by gtsb1966

The problem is if you leave him in place, what are you going to have left when you do boot him and his jokers out?
How long have we got? on 09:49 - Sep 12 with 2420 viewsWD19

If we make the play offs we will, by definition, be a decent side by then and there is no reason we couldn’t win them. I gave up on Automatic after the Cheltenham and MK Dons performances as no improvement was apparent. In fact our best performance was arguably against Morecambe with about 7 players making their league debuts together.
How long have we got? on 10:06 - Sep 12 with 2333 viewsDyland

How long have we got? on 09:45 - Sep 12 by thebooks

I think you’re right about putting new managers on a pedestal. I can sort of understand why after the fag end of Lambert’s reign was so unpleasant, but of course we idolised PL even as he lead us into league one.

The Cook thing has left me particularly uncomfortable becuase of the way he failed with the old squad and then basically said they were all — every single one of them — useless. They weren’t. Ill-prepared, mismanaged and set up poorly (by him, among others), but not incapable at this level.

Us fans have gone along with this, which I think another poster described as “unseemly” — only a couple of seasons ago it was all about developing the yoofs, doing it the right “Ipswich” way etc. Obviously we needed squad additions, but a whole new team?

We now have a disjointed squad which is pretty hard to relate to unless it wins lots of games straight away. Cook is also left bemoaning the fact he has to deal with 20 new players and how much time they will take to gel. Obviously, that’s true, but he created that situation, and has allowed himself no wriggle room.

Indeed. Most fans knew he was making a big gamble, whatever we thought about it, and it is backfiring, spectacularly so I'd say after the humping by a very mediocre Bolton side. Let's see where we are in October but the signs are looking, if not ominous, a little worrying.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

How long have we got? on 10:08 - Sep 12 with 2319 viewsOriginalMarkyP

I've consistently questioned Cook's leadership from the start, his handling and dismissal of the team when he came in was inept and arrogant.

Those players weren't a pub team. He could, and should have been able to galvanise them better than he did and to some extent I can't help but think he didn't want to, because his plan from day one was to have this massive overhaul which would have been harder to pull off if we'd sneaked promotion.

Cook just doesn't seem to know how to fit the pieces (and he has, we can all agree got a lot of very good pieces) together. He really looks like he's floudering and the laughable interviews and double talk speak of man on the verge of unravelling.

I've said from the minute we missed out on Richardson we were in trouble and that's the case. I got lambasted for questioning Gary Roberts as a coach. When he appointed a second coach who had actually been in court for threatening to kill his wife many on here were willing to let it go. People 'explained' that employing your mates was just fine in football, but if your mates are inept you're just left with inept staff you don't want to get rid of.

It's an utter shambles.

And then him coming out and saying last season's results shouldn't count! That's so telling. You're a MANAGER, where's your professional pride? You should want to organise whatever's in front of you. Not just go Pfft not bothered. I'd be slaughtered if I did that in my line of work. It is simply, unprofessional.

He should be gone already and a 'professional' manager/coach should come in and work with these players.

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

How long have we got? on 10:09 - Sep 12 with 2305 viewsBiGDonnie

Not enough is made of how fookin sh*te he was last season.

IMO he's already outdone Keane, Jewell, Hurst and Lambert.

Continue to have 5 goals against in the third division from a newly promoted side, he might be worse than them all combined.

I'm at -10.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

How long have we got? on 10:11 - Sep 12 with 2290 viewschrismakin

How long have we got? on 10:08 - Sep 12 by OriginalMarkyP

I've consistently questioned Cook's leadership from the start, his handling and dismissal of the team when he came in was inept and arrogant.

Those players weren't a pub team. He could, and should have been able to galvanise them better than he did and to some extent I can't help but think he didn't want to, because his plan from day one was to have this massive overhaul which would have been harder to pull off if we'd sneaked promotion.

Cook just doesn't seem to know how to fit the pieces (and he has, we can all agree got a lot of very good pieces) together. He really looks like he's floudering and the laughable interviews and double talk speak of man on the verge of unravelling.

I've said from the minute we missed out on Richardson we were in trouble and that's the case. I got lambasted for questioning Gary Roberts as a coach. When he appointed a second coach who had actually been in court for threatening to kill his wife many on here were willing to let it go. People 'explained' that employing your mates was just fine in football, but if your mates are inept you're just left with inept staff you don't want to get rid of.

It's an utter shambles.

And then him coming out and saying last season's results shouldn't count! That's so telling. You're a MANAGER, where's your professional pride? You should want to organise whatever's in front of you. Not just go Pfft not bothered. I'd be slaughtered if I did that in my line of work. It is simply, unprofessional.

He should be gone already and a 'professional' manager/coach should come in and work with these players.

Point of order here and it pains me as i hated him for joining, but jeffers is doing a solid job with his attacking players.

That is one positive to come from it

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

How long have we got? on 10:15 - Sep 12 with 2262 viewspointofblue

How long have we got? on 10:08 - Sep 12 by OriginalMarkyP

It's an utter shambles.

The irony his he constantly slated the players last season for not being bothered and now he reveals that neither could he.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

How long have we got? on 10:19 - Sep 12 with 2247 viewstimothyeo

The concerning thing for me BF, is that yesterday's performance was no different to most under Cook. The concerning part being it took 5 goals going in against us at home for our fans to actually acknowledge it.

Our fans have to start taking some responsibility for putting every single manager since Mick on some sort of pedestal before they've done anything, and try and stifle sensible criticism and pressure. We keep giving managers completely free rides and then wonder why things end up the way they do.

Any other club with our resource last season when sacking Lambert would have been demanding play offs from the new man. Instead most of our lot celebrated him throwing our players under a bus and bigging up how amazing it was going to be.
How long have we got? on 10:22 - Sep 12 with 2209 viewsreusersfreekicks

How long have we got? on 09:45 - Sep 12 by thebooks

Spot on
How long have we got? on 10:43 - Sep 12 with 2107 viewsbrogansnose

How long have we got? on 10:19 - Sep 12 by timothyeo

The concerning thing for me BF, is that yesterday's performance was no different to most under Cook. The concerning part being it took 5 goals going in against us at home for our fans to actually acknowledge it.

Our fans have to start taking some responsibility for putting every single manager since Mick on some sort of pedestal before they've done anything, and try and stifle sensible criticism and pressure. We keep giving managers completely free rides and then wonder why things end up the way they do.

Any other club with our resource last season when sacking Lambert would have been demanding play offs from the new man. Instead most of our lot celebrated him throwing our players under a bus and bigging up how amazing it was going to be.

In my view he failed his ' on the job ' work audition by failing to make the playoffs and by being even worse than Lambert. On that basis I wouldn't have appointed him and given him the funds and backing he's received.

He cut quite a pathetic figure during that second half yesterday and if his only plan is to let Morsy sort it out then that's damning.
How long have we got? on 10:44 - Sep 12 with 2112 viewsGarv

'Cook has been a disaster from minute 1 and part of the problem is putting another manager on a pedestal and giving them a free hit at the start.'

This suggests we should have got rid of him at the end of the season, but because the fans liked him he stayed in the job. Is that what you think?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

How long have we got? on 11:00 - Sep 12 with 2065 viewsBluefish

How long have we got? on 10:44 - Sep 12 by Garv

'Cook has been a disaster from minute 1 and part of the problem is putting another manager on a pedestal and giving them a free hit at the start.'

This suggests we should have got rid of him at the end of the season, but because the fans liked him he stayed in the job. Is that what you think?

It doesn't but it does suggest he should have been feeling a bit of pressure to get it right quickly.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

How long have we got? on 11:03 - Sep 12 with 2047 viewsgazzer1999

How long have we got? on 10:44 - Sep 12 by Garv

I am very sorry that you think all the fans wanted/liked him. I was on record for saying he was not the man for us and should not have been given the chance to manage this great club.
I am very lucky to have seen all the highs that this club achieved in the past and really feel for the generation that are around the 20-25 age group who have only seen despair and failure. I really feel that we are a bottom feeding club with a great tradition but nothing else.
The game changer lot spoke about connecting with the future supporters, well appointing or sticking with Cook will definitely alienate them. If only we can replicate some of the results of the woman's team, who knows they may end up getting better attendances than the men.
Something is clearly not right with the coaching setup at Portman Road, however after the cull there is only a handful of personnel remaining and none that will probably speak up and say what the problem is. This will lead to forums and podcasts making their own conclusions. That being said the 24 games that Cook has presided over have been a disaster from start to finish, and before anyone says you can't count last season, then his stats are even worse, so he needs those on his record as well.
It was clear from the pre season game at Colchester that it was going to be a struggle and I fear if we stick with this lot we a re looking at at least another season in this division and a struggling one at that.
How long have we got? on 11:06 - Sep 12 with 2012 viewsFixed_It

How long have we got? on 09:36 - Sep 12 by ITFC_Forever

The biggest issue / disappointment is that Cook has an excellent record at this level.

I can remember his Wigan side beating Man City in the cup and wishing we had a team that played like that and someone like Cook as our manager… so when he was appointed, I was delighted.

He’s not a Hurst, or a fraud like Lambert… he’s a manager with a very decent pedigree at this level.

But the end of last season was poor and for all the points around the team needing to get fitter and gel, we should have more than three points from the kind opening fixtures we were dealt.
Patience and time to gel do not give immunity from criticism.

As Illy pointed out after the Wimbledon game, we’ve appointed all the scouse banter boys as coaches, but no experienced head… Cook would do well to review this before it’s too late.

I don’t think a change will be made yet, and I want Cook to succeed…. He’s been too successful elsewhere on a regular basis for it to have been a coincidence - but we need to improve PDQ.

The thing is - the banter boys would be great if we were performing well. Unfortunately, we're not and people are understandably questioning their role in our disfunction.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

How long have we got? on 11:25 - Sep 12 with 1952 viewsip6blue

Need to be within reach of the playoffs ie: max 6-8 points off 6th at Xmas. Still think we needed experience at CB from the off. I just don’t like the look of the back 4 at all.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024