Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mark Ashton 10:39 - Sep 12 with 6515 viewscarlo88

I shall just park this Guardian comment here I read this morning, and say nothing.

"Ipswich CEO Mark Ashton appointed himself head of recruitment when CEO at Bristol City and proceeded to sign players left right and centre whether or not the manager wanted them or they fitted any playing plan, leaving a bloated squad and wage bill. We managed to ship out a dozen or so in the summer but are now financially hamstrung.

He is not qualified for the role but loves the buzz of a signing and it's invariably him not the manager who is pictured with the players.

At the end of the window he will do an interview about what a great job he has done but as things go wrong on the pitch he will disappear.

If results don't improve he will sack Paul Cook and replace him with a patsy who will suck up to him.

Cook is a pretty straight talking guy so I can envisage a public falling out at some point in any event. But Ashton is a mate of the owners so he will not be held accountable.

Good luck to Ipswich fans, loved your club since the great days under Sir Bobby but do be sceptical about the man running your club."
Mark Ashton on 10:41 - Sep 12 with 5302 viewsGuthrum

Would that be another embittered spiel from a Bristol City fan? Not convinced it's an entirely dispassionate or unbiased view.

Doubt Cook would still be here if Ashton was just signing random players the manager didn't want.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2021 10:43]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Mark Ashton on 10:42 - Sep 12 with 5280 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Great, more Bristol City fans drivel on here.
Being in the Guardian does not make it accurate.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Mark Ashton on 10:51 - Sep 12 with 5204 viewspointofblue

Other than maybe Barry and Aluko (the latter one of our best players yesterday) I cannot see who we signed who Cook possibly didn’t want. Maybe Carroll instead of another defensive midfielder?

To repeat myself from another thread, something seemingly went wrong with defensive recruitment but we needed players through the door in that position.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Mark Ashton on 10:52 - Sep 12 with 5193 viewsZXBlue

Mark Ashton on 10:41 - Sep 12 by Guthrum

Would that be another embittered spiel from a Bristol City fan? Not convinced it's an entirely dispassionate or unbiased view.

Doubt Cook would still be here if Ashton was just signing random players the manager didn't want.

Indeed. It is also very difficult to understand how average joe fan would know who did what in the signing process.
Mark Ashton on 10:55 - Sep 12 with 5161 viewsbluejacko

Well if it’s in the guardian according to some on here it must be gospel.
Mark Ashton on 10:59 - Sep 12 with 5117 viewspositivity

Mark Ashton on 10:55 - Sep 12 by bluejacko

it's a comment isn't it? therefore,not published by the guardian and not subject to the usual fact-checking...

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Mark Ashton on 11:01 - Sep 12 with 5100 views44_not_out

Mark Ashton on 10:55 - Sep 12 by bluejacko

Regardless of whether it’s true, let’s face it he comes across as a smarmy so and so who appeased the easily pleased amongst you with a load of posters
Mark Ashton on 11:02 - Sep 12 with 5069 viewschrismakin

Mark Ashton on 10:51 - Sep 12 by pointofblue

Other than maybe Barry and Aluko (the latter one of our best players yesterday) I cannot see who we signed who Cook possibly didn’t want. Maybe Carroll instead of another defensive midfielder?

To repeat myself from another thread, something seemingly went wrong with defensive recruitment but we needed players through the door in that position.

Edwards and Harper are quite Non PC signings ( I.E from club above, we know he was desperate for Jacobs to sign 'that weekend'. Celina... defo an Ashton one, I mentioned Ashtons time with Djon agents whilst at BC. Fraser and Pigott don't FIT the PC version of 4 2 3 1. It showed with PC pubically ignoring Fraser as a 10 despite that being his actual role.

You've then got the new sports science Alarm system stopping players being available should they sneeze.

If People are happy to look back through PC's time here, you've got to be open to looking back to M/A and his team from their time at BC too, we're 6 games in and it's already very very similar in regards to injury numbers all a coincedence? maybe, maybe not.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Login to get fewer ads

Mark Ashton on 11:31 - Sep 12 with 4942 viewspointofblue

Mark Ashton on 11:02 - Sep 12 by chrismakin

Edwards and Harper are quite Non PC signings ( I.E from club above, we know he was desperate for Jacobs to sign 'that weekend'. Celina... defo an Ashton one, I mentioned Ashtons time with Djon agents whilst at BC. Fraser and Pigott don't FIT the PC version of 4 2 3 1. It showed with PC pubically ignoring Fraser as a 10 despite that being his actual role.

You've then got the new sports science Alarm system stopping players being available should they sneeze.

If People are happy to look back through PC's time here, you've got to be open to looking back to M/A and his team from their time at BC too, we're 6 games in and it's already very very similar in regards to injury numbers all a coincedence? maybe, maybe not.

I thought Fraser would be perfect for a Cook 4-2-3-1 - what doesn’t he do that Cook would like to see? Pigott, yes, I see what you mean but considering we like to get balls wide and crossed on you’d think it would play to his strengths. Celina ahead of Jacobs is obvious. Edwards has been one of our better players this season whilst Harper started well but is now starting to look lost; perhaps Cook would have preferred Carroll, Evans, Morsy plus one other defensive midfielder.

I prefer players missing a game if they’re not fully fit than being picked, breaking down and missing the next few months.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Mark Ashton on 11:40 - Sep 12 with 4834 viewsGarv

To be honest I don't care who chose the players, as long as they're good players.

There's no use letting Cook have free reign on signings if there's a chance we'll decide he's not the man for the job in three months' time. As long as he is replaced with a man who is prepared to and excited to work with the players we have.

Hopefully it doesn't come to that. The start we've made is only a disaster if you subscribe to the 'anything but promotion is failure' line. Cook needs to improve fast, starting Tuesday, but it's still early.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Mark Ashton on 11:43 - Sep 12 with 4807 viewschrismakin

Mark Ashton on 11:31 - Sep 12 by pointofblue

I thought Fraser would be perfect for a Cook 4-2-3-1 - what doesn’t he do that Cook would like to see? Pigott, yes, I see what you mean but considering we like to get balls wide and crossed on you’d think it would play to his strengths. Celina ahead of Jacobs is obvious. Edwards has been one of our better players this season whilst Harper started well but is now starting to look lost; perhaps Cook would have preferred Carroll, Evans, Morsy plus one other defensive midfielder.

I prefer players missing a game if they’re not fully fit than being picked, breaking down and missing the next few months.

tbh, no idea what the issue was with Fraser, I agree with you, you'd think it was a perfect fit, but for some reason PC didn't like the option.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Mark Ashton on 11:55 - Sep 12 with 4714 viewsbraveblue

Sounds like a bitter fan. Unlikely Ashton would just happen to want the players Cook had talked about.
Mark Ashton on 02:00 - Sep 13 with 4136 viewsAtticus

Mark Ashton on 11:55 - Sep 12 by braveblue

Sounds like a bitter fan. Unlikely Ashton would just happen to want the players Cook had talked about.

Sorry, but where on earth has this come from?

If nothing else, you lot need to understand we aint bitter!! Deary me.

A simple bit of research would show that we were wanting that clown Ashton out of our club a year before Ipswich were sniffing around him.
It says alot when we were celebrating when it was announced he was going.

Please. Stop burying your heads in the sand like that. Its stupid, and embarrassing tbh.

Think what you like about him. But us bitter???? Not a chance. None of us like him. And we are well happy he is gone.

The alarm bells should really be ringing. For the reasons OP stated. But you go ahead and blame Cook, and whoeevr else you choose too.

We have told you so though. That guy is a slimy weasel that will ruin your club long term. Sadly you are so damn blinded none of you see it. Good luck.
Mark Ashton on 02:19 - Sep 13 with 4123 viewsAtticus

Have you all heard From Ashton outside of transfer dealings btw? No? Didnt think so.
Oh I guarantee, if you had played 6 won 6, you would be hearing from the slimy weasel every couple of days.

If this form goes on, you wont see head nor tail of him till the next window.
Mark Ashton on 06:36 - Sep 13 with 3935 viewsZXBlue

Mark Ashton on 02:00 - Sep 13 by Atticus

A simple bit of research would show that we were wanting that clown Ashton out of our club a year before Ipswich were sniffing around him.

Please. Stop burying your heads in the sand like that. Its stupid, and embarrassing tbh.

Think what you like about him. But us bitter???? Not a chance. None of us like him. And we are well happy he is gone.

The alarm bells should really be ringing. For the reasons OP stated. But you go ahead and blame Cook, and whoeevr else you choose too.

We have told you so though. That guy is a slimy weasel that will ruin your club long term. Sadly you are so damn blinded none of you see it. Good luck.

Bitter.
Mark Ashton on 06:37 - Sep 13 with 3933 viewsZXBlue

Mark Ashton on 02:19 - Sep 13 by Atticus

Have you all heard From Ashton outside of transfer dealings btw? No? Didnt think so.
Oh I guarantee, if you had played 6 won 6, you would be hearing from the slimy weasel every couple of days.

Yes. We have.
Mark Ashton on 07:10 - Sep 13 with 3794 viewsLightworker

There is absolutely zero evidence that Ashton has signed a single player that Cook did not want, any suggestion he has is a total fabrication.

Stop making excuses for Cook, we have signed some great players for this level and if Cook can't organise them into a team, and pretty quickly, he will be sacked and deservedly so.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2021 7:18]
Mark Ashton on 07:27 - Sep 13 with 3698 viewsWD19

What is he supposed to be saying? Any public pronouncements would be interpreted as ‘the dreaded vote of confidence.’

He was at Cheltenham mixing with the fans.

I am not blinkered or a fanboy. His salary, attitude towards the press and cynical approach to player dealing will inevitably mean he will be less liked sooner rather than later. In the meantime you should get a new hobby.
Mark Ashton on 07:33 - Sep 13 with 3659 viewsDarth_Koont

Mark Ashton on 10:41 - Sep 12 by Guthrum

Exactly. I can imagine the sort of view an Ipswich fan could have about the inner workings of the club over the past few years ...

Part fact, part filling in the massive gaps with what they want/need to believe.

Even if it’s largely true at Bristol City, there’s also no real certainty that Ashton would act in the very same way at a new club and with new relationships.

Pronouns: He/Him

Mark Ashton on 08:01 - Sep 13 with 3538 viewsArnieM

So the comment from Ashton that Cook provided him with a list of players he ( Cook) wanted at this Club has not relevance then?

Utter tosh mate, and I could suggest where you could “ leave this “

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Mark Ashton on 08:15 - Sep 13 with 3476 viewsChurchman

This is just the same stuff that’s been posted on here over the past few months and quite frankly, still doesn’t add up. There was an interesting article on Ashton in the Bristol Bugle or whatever their local rag is called, giving contrasting opinions of Ashton when he left. It was balanced and while critical of certain aspects carried little of the bile poured out in their thread(s).

Yes, Ashton comes across as a bit oily and I don’t agree with one or two things he’s said, not least the Academy status going forward.

However, he clearly impressed the owners when he met them a couple of years ago and they are not stupid people. He clearly knows and works well with the Chairman too and this is crucial for the future of the club. In three months, he has done exactly what he said he would do and has made it perfectly clear what they are trying to do in the future several times.

With regard to recruitment, he explained how the process worked and there is no evidence whatsoever that he has done otherwise and signed players Cook didn’t want.

If people believe Ashton told lies on this, then I suggest they contact him and challenge him. I gather he is quite good at responding. I am really not sure what else he could have done in the short time he’s been here. Are people already yearning for the halcyon days of Honest Evans, Flunkey Milne and Turnstile Clegg?

The known facts are that Cook wanted rid of most of the old squad. It was done. He gave a list of his preferences for every position. That was delivered to a greater or lesser extent. Cook is the manager. The fact that he has a collection of players that at the moment seem incapable of forming a competitive team and were taken to the cleaners at home on Saturday, is purely down to him.

Until Cook or somebody there says otherwise I will leave Ashton out of the mess and ignore what Bristol City fans have to say on it, as they sit safely in the Championship year after year in their lovely new stadium managed by an excellent Manager in Pearson, recruited by Ashton.
Mark Ashton on 08:24 - Sep 13 with 3423 viewsHerbivore

Mark Ashton on 02:00 - Sep 13 by Atticus

You're so unbothered you felt the need to come on to a Town forum to tell us just how unbothered you all are? Okay, mate.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Mark Ashton on 08:38 - Sep 13 with 3343 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Two major criticisms of our previous ownership and off field management was the lack of transparency and the lack of presence. Ashton and his staff certainly provide both of those.

He’s delivered a squad that is better than the one he inherited probably close to neutral in terms of spend. Plenty of people (including me) might question whether it needed the level of overhaul it got but bar 1 or 2 homegrown players who I’d have done my best to keep I don’t think he’s done too much I’d disagree with.

Had the previous ownership done all of this for these results there would have been a pitch invasion level protest against the owner on Saturday.

Cook is interesting. He wasn’t their first choice so doubt he has as long as some might think to get this right. A month to six weeks to dramatically improve I expect.
Mark Ashton on 08:39 - Sep 13 with 3330 viewsChurchman

Yes. He did a forum with Cook and O’Leary. He also talked the other day about the ground, sequencing etc. The ground, by the way, that is old and neglected unlike your brand new one.

I don’t blame you for having a good laugh about the plight of this club. You are not alone. The fact that you take the trouble to come on another club’s board to post this says more about you than MA.

You call him a slimy weasel. Have you met him? Do you know him? If so when? What’s he like in person? I’m genuinely interested. Would you call him a slimy weasel to his face? Have you done so? If not, I suggest you wind your neck in.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2021 8:42]
Mark Ashton on 08:43 - Sep 13 with 3308 viewsOldboy

Thanks for that. Very impartial and informative insight. Total nonsense of course, but thanks anyway.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024