Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
after 6 games last year 13:03 - Sep 12 with 2340 viewspositivity

blackpool had 4 points, oxford 6

somehow neither club panicked and sacked their manager

maybe, just maybe, it's a little early for the flouncing?

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

after 6 games last year on 13:05 - Sep 12 with 2321 viewsTheBlueGnu

there's one minor flaw in that argument - this is IPSWICH TOWN

Poll: Other than "The Mean Machine", what was your favourite Wacky Races car ?

after 6 games last year on 13:08 - Sep 12 with 2299 viewsDubtractor

Imagine having 6 points eh, double our current pathetic total.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

after 6 games last year on 13:11 - Sep 12 with 2287 viewsstonojnr

and Blackpool had at least won a game & Oxford two... justsaying
after 6 games last year on 13:11 - Sep 12 with 2286 viewshoppy

And who was top, after 6 games played? That went well, didn't it?

https://www.twtd.co.uk/league-tables/competition:league-one/daterange/fromdate:2

I'm hopeful that this is a big case of role reversal, and things click into place soon!

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

after 6 games last year on 13:36 - Sep 12 with 2217 viewstimothyeo

Well yes but for every 2 examples of a turnaround like Blackpool I can give you 10 that hasn't. The point being its unlikely and this is you saving face from being wrong again (I note you down vote every post of mine that shockingly has been proven correct in every possible aspect)
after 6 games last year on 13:42 - Sep 12 with 2189 viewsjayessess

I'm not sure what the purpose of these comparisons is really.

Karl Robinson had taken Oxford United to their highest league finish in 20 years the previous season, an achievement that easily surpassed his budget. It's very obvious why a disastrous 10-game run didn't get him the sack.

Neil Critchley's Blackpool were bad for 7 games and picked up thereafter. If Cook mirrors that achievement he too will definitely keep his job and the criticism will die down. I'm sure Critchley got at least as much criticism as Cook is getting during that period, with less justification because he hadn't also messed up their previous season and was working with a smaller budget.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2021 13:44]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

after 6 games last year on 14:01 - Sep 12 with 2104 viewspositivity

after 6 games last year on 13:42 - Sep 12 by jayessess

I'm not sure what the purpose of these comparisons is really.

Karl Robinson had taken Oxford United to their highest league finish in 20 years the previous season, an achievement that easily surpassed his budget. It's very obvious why a disastrous 10-game run didn't get him the sack.

Neil Critchley's Blackpool were bad for 7 games and picked up thereafter. If Cook mirrors that achievement he too will definitely keep his job and the criticism will die down. I'm sure Critchley got at least as much criticism as Cook is getting during that period, with less justification because he hadn't also messed up their previous season and was working with a smaller budget.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2021 13:44]

your last paragraph is correct, if cook picks up he will keep his job. people shouldn't be calling for the sack now. that's all i'm saying!

after 6 games last year on 14:08 - Sep 12 with 2095 viewsSkip_Intro

yesterday morning this would've got an upvote but after yesterday's performance and the fact that we are conceding more than 2 goals every single game I just can't bring myself to do it...
Login to get fewer ads

after 6 games last year on 14:21 - Sep 12 with 2048 viewshomer_123

We've just had 2 weeks of solid coaching and gelling as a squad and we give our worst performance of the season so far.

We're actually going backwards.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

after 6 games last year on 14:32 - Sep 12 with 2023 viewspositivity

after 6 games last year on 14:21 - Sep 12 by homer_123

We've just had 2 weeks of solid coaching and gelling as a squad and we give our worst performance of the season so far.

We're actually going backwards.

we've just lost 2 starters to injury, put 3 players in for their first start and gone backwards. i don't think that's entirely unexpected.

of the 5 'important partnerships' (mick mills) on the field, only 2 had played together before, and one of them was broken up after 21 mins . i think going backwards for that game isn't entirely unexpected either

if the going backwards continues, that's more of a problem

after 6 games last year on 15:03 - Sep 12 with 1968 viewsStewart27

after 6 games last year on 14:32 - Sep 12 by positivity

we've just lost 2 starters to injury, put 3 players in for their first start and gone backwards. i don't think that's entirely unexpected.

of the 5 'important partnerships' (mick mills) on the field, only 2 had played together before, and one of them was broken up after 21 mins . i think going backwards for that game isn't entirely unexpected either

if the going backwards continues, that's more of a problem

I was angry yesterday. And a little drunk.

I woke up this morning and I am now sure that Cook is not the man to take us forward. I’m not basing this on his nightmare failure last season. I’m basing it on the complete lack of coaching this season and the guys who he has got in to support him.

I get they are ‘his’ players, but they are good players. I think a tactically savvy manager would be able to get a tune out of them before it’s too late.
after 6 games last year on 15:08 - Sep 12 with 1947 viewsjayessess

after 6 games last year on 14:01 - Sep 12 by positivity

your last paragraph is correct, if cook picks up he will keep his job. people shouldn't be calling for the sack now. that's all i'm saying!

He's several weeks at least from getting the sack.

after 6 games last year on 15:41 - Sep 12 with 1879 viewsParisBlue

Rochdale and Northampton both in bottom four and finished there.

The two automatically promoted teams were both in the top four.

The scary thing is we've not played any of the so called 'better' teams as yet. We've got sunderland twice before Xmas so in theory we could claw back some of the gap but you have to score more goals that you let in to win games and that seems to be beyond us....

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

after 6 games last year on 15:42 - Sep 12 with 1871 viewswkj

I don't think this is flouncing though positivity. Not for everyone.

It really isn't up to the fans to blindly have faith in Cook now, it is up to him to show us what he's capable of and to get us on side. If he's going to do this, it has to start now as we're out of excuses.

If the board and Ashton are intent on promotion, they will be drawing up a shortlist right now as we're running out of time to get out of the blocks if we're going to make something out of this season.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

after 6 games last year on 15:58 - Sep 12 with 1841 viewspositivity

after 6 games last year on 15:42 - Sep 12 by wkj

I don't think this is flouncing though positivity. Not for everyone.

It really isn't up to the fans to blindly have faith in Cook now, it is up to him to show us what he's capable of and to get us on side. If he's going to do this, it has to start now as we're out of excuses.

If the board and Ashton are intent on promotion, they will be drawing up a shortlist right now as we're running out of time to get out of the blocks if we're going to make something out of this season.

not for everyone no.

i don't have any problems with criticism of him, it's the "cook must go" comments that i feel are very early.

i don't think o'leary and ashton will have backed him so lavishly and made the comments about it taking time to then have a knee jerk reaction after 6 losses. the comments at the supporters forum didn't suggest to me that it was a one season thing with cook, more about a project. obviously if tings are looking this bad in november/december, they'll have no choice, but to change plan

after 6 games last year on 16:05 - Sep 12 with 1817 viewswkj

after 6 games last year on 15:58 - Sep 12 by positivity

not for everyone no.

i don't have any problems with criticism of him, it's the "cook must go" comments that i feel are very early.

i don't think o'leary and ashton will have backed him so lavishly and made the comments about it taking time to then have a knee jerk reaction after 6 losses. the comments at the supporters forum didn't suggest to me that it was a one season thing with cook, more about a project. obviously if tings are looking this bad in november/december, they'll have no choice, but to change plan

Im of a similar mind. I don't think he should be sacked as a priority, but if he does end up sacked I wont feel sad about it

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

after 6 games last year on 16:05 - Sep 12 with 1817 viewsjayessess

after 6 games last year on 15:58 - Sep 12 by positivity

not for everyone no.

I don't think you're being very realistic if you think 0.5 points per game is going to be tolerated all the way into November. Not least because 10 points from 20 games would put you in "massive favourites for relegation" territory.

after 6 games last year on 16:59 - Sep 12 with 1736 viewspositivity

after 6 games last year on 16:05 - Sep 12 by jayessess

I don't think you're being very realistic if you think 0.5 points per game is going to be tolerated all the way into November. Not least because 10 points from 20 games would put you in "massive favourites for relegation" territory.

i'll clarify that. by 'this bad' i was meaning c10 points off the playoffs...

after 6 games last year on 23:29 - Sep 12 with 1501 viewsjayessess

after 6 games last year on 16:59 - Sep 12 by positivity

i'll clarify that. by 'this bad' i was meaning c10 points off the playoffs...

That would require us keeping pace with the play-off teams for the next 15 games, in which case I expect he'll still be in post, but that would require a massive improvement on what's happening at the moment.

after 6 games last year on 00:20 - Sep 13 with 1436 viewsHARRY10

hooray, the flouncey boys are back !
after 6 games last year on 07:54 - Sep 13 with 1268 viewsOldboy

That was them, not us. Most season's when teams start badly, they struggle for most of that season. We were all but promised promotion this season and at the moment, that just doesn't seem possible. Plenty of games left obviously, but results need to change real quick.
after 6 games last year on 08:01 - Sep 13 with 1243 viewsDubtractor

To give a comparison closer to home, we've had poor starts to the season in recent memory under Keane, Jewell and Hurst. At best those seasons ended in mediocrity, and once with relegation without even a whimper.

We need to stop accepting poor results as just the norm, given our spend and expectation this start to the season is a shocker and every town fan should be asking questions.

This doesn't mean Cook has to go now, but there is a very limited period of patience from this point in my opinion.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2021 8:15]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

after 6 games last year on 08:38 - Sep 13 with 1186 viewsHerbivore

In the couple of years we've been stuck at this level 5 of the 6 clubs that went up didn't get off to terrible starts. I'm not sure focusing on the one that did is all that helpful.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

after 6 games last year on 09:13 - Sep 13 with 1132 viewsHerbivore

after 6 games last year on 08:01 - Sep 13 by Dubtractor

To give a comparison closer to home, we've had poor starts to the season in recent memory under Keane, Jewell and Hurst. At best those seasons ended in mediocrity, and once with relegation without even a whimper.

We need to stop accepting poor results as just the norm, given our spend and expectation this start to the season is a shocker and every town fan should be asking questions.

This doesn't mean Cook has to go now, but there is a very limited period of patience from this point in my opinion.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2021 8:15]

Indeed. There's also a fair bit of revisionism going on about expectations at the start of the season. Pretty much everyone acknowledged that we wouldn't click straight away and be hammering teams left, right, and centre. However, pretty much everyone also agreed when the fixtures were released that we couldn't really have hoped for a much kinder opening to give us a decent platform whilst we were gelling.

That after 6 games we're yet to win, have only 3 points, and have shipped 15 goals is completely unacceptable. Of course it's not impossible that we turn things around and have a good season but at the moment that doesn't look very likely to me. The complete lack of shape and organisation on Saturday after 2 weeks together on the training ground rang a lot of alarm bells and the collapse after half time was pitiful.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

after 6 games last year on 11:34 - Sep 13 with 1035 viewsThe_Last_Baron

After six games of the 2003-04 season we had 2 points. Bottom of the table. Santos was the enforcer in midfield and we looked clueless.

We finished 5th.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024