Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Good BM Pod guys 11:18 - Sep 13 with 2688 viewshype313

It's quite clear that Cook is hanging is hat on a last minute deadline day signing like Joe mentioned.

Here's hoping if that is the case, that he does exactly the job we all hope and he doesn't get injured or booked...

[Post edited 13 Sep 2021 11:53]

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Good Bm Pod guys on 11:25 - Sep 13 with 2108 viewsIpsRich

Thanks for the feedback!

As we discussed, its strange that we didn't attempt to sign any other Morsy-like CM earlier in the window. The three prior signings are much of a muchness. SM appears to be the only one in that mould post-Downes, and arrived late in the day on the deadline too.

Blog: [Blog] My ITFC Season 2012/13 Rules of Engagement

Good Bm Pod guys on 11:36 - Sep 13 with 2055 viewsitfcjoe

It's a huge risk, and seems like in some ways the squad has been set up for Cooks 5231, but also that there are Ashton signings in there - like Harper, maybe Carroll - who don't really suit what we want to do as their roles simply don't exist in this shape/style

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Good Bm Pod guys on 11:39 - Sep 13 with 2027 viewsjayessess

Good Bm Pod guys on 11:25 - Sep 13 by IpsRich

Thanks for the feedback!

As we discussed, its strange that we didn't attempt to sign any other Morsy-like CM earlier in the window. The three prior signings are much of a muchness. SM appears to be the only one in that mould post-Downes, and arrived late in the day on the deadline too.

In Cook's defence the drop off in Evans' defensive numbers from last year to this is pretty stark. Last season Evans posted pretty similar tackles and interceptions to Flynn Downes (2.3 tackles and 1.5 inteceptions per 90 to Flynn's 2.4 and 1.4). This year he's down to 1 tackle a game and 0.2 interceptions.

Harper's defensive contributions are actually up slightly from his Birmingham numbers...

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Good Bm Pod guys on 11:42 - Sep 13 with 1992 viewsgalacticoblue

Good Bm Pod guys on 11:36 - Sep 13 by itfcjoe

It's a huge risk, and seems like in some ways the squad has been set up for Cooks 5231, but also that there are Ashton signings in there - like Harper, maybe Carroll - who don't really suit what we want to do as their roles simply don't exist in this shape/style

So why is Cook so wedded to that formation? He surely needs to be able to adapt the team to what its strengths are. It is really concerning he just sticks to one formation.

In this league if you have decent players 4-4-2 should do the trick. Might not look as fancy, but with the players we have it would work.
Good Bm Pod guys on 11:44 - Sep 13 with 1967 viewshype313

Good Bm Pod guys on 11:42 - Sep 13 by galacticoblue

So why is Cook so wedded to that formation? He surely needs to be able to adapt the team to what its strengths are. It is really concerning he just sticks to one formation.

In this league if you have decent players 4-4-2 should do the trick. Might not look as fancy, but with the players we have it would work.

Also, what else is quite odd is that he is very guarded when it comes to players injuries or any talk of starting eleven on the Friday with the presser, yet everyone knows what his formation is going to be.

Doesn't take much for opposition managers to look at nullifying that threat, which they have done on numerous occasions.

Good Bm Pod guys on 11:44 - Sep 13 with 1974 viewsIpsRich

I think it'll soon become clear whose signings are whose. Would not be surprised, for example, if Hladky was Ashton-led given Walton came in so quickly.

I'm speculating here, but Ashton's are likely to be data-led (Hladky; Fraser?) or speculative with a view to resale (Edwards; Harper), and Cook's are players he's worked with before (Evans; Morsy) or come across and always rated (e.g. Burgess; Coulson).

Good Bm Pod guys on 11:46 - Sep 13 with 1942 viewshype313

Good Bm Pod guys on 11:44 - Sep 13 by IpsRich

I think it'll soon become clear whose signings are whose. Would not be surprised, for example, if Hladky was Ashton-led given Walton came in so quickly.

I'm speculating here, but Ashton's are likely to be data-led (Hladky; Fraser?) or speculative with a view to resale (Edwards; Harper), and Cook's are players he's worked with before (Evans; Morsy) or come across and always rated (e.g. Burgess; Coulson).

I'd add Celina into the Ashton group aswell, especially given Cooks comments around asking Mick about him.

Good Bm Pod guys on 11:48 - Sep 13 with 1901 viewsIpsRich

Good Bm Pod guys on 11:46 - Sep 13 by hype313

I'd add Celina into the Ashton group aswell, especially given Cooks comments around asking Mick about him.

Yeah was going to mention Celina in that context - it sounds like Cook hasn't got much complaint on that one! Plus its a loan.

Look at Louie Barry though - surely thats an Ashton signing?

Login to get fewer ads

Good Bm Pod guys on 11:48 - Sep 13 with 1883 viewsSWGF

Good Bm Pod guys on 11:39 - Sep 13 by jayessess

In Cook's defence the drop off in Evans' defensive numbers from last year to this is pretty stark. Last season Evans posted pretty similar tackles and interceptions to Flynn Downes (2.3 tackles and 1.5 inteceptions per 90 to Flynn's 2.4 and 1.4). This year he's down to 1 tackle a game and 0.2 interceptions.

Harper's defensive contributions are actually up slightly from his Birmingham numbers...

Interesting point. Evans has been a real disappointment in terms of general performances and captaincy (not taking into account errors directly leading to goals).

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Good Bm Pod guys on 11:49 - Sep 13 with 1873 viewshype313

Good Bm Pod guys on 11:48 - Sep 13 by IpsRich

Yeah was going to mention Celina in that context - it sounds like Cook hasn't got much complaint on that one! Plus its a loan.

Look at Louie Barry though - surely thats an Ashton signing?

Yep, although I have a feeling we won't see much of him and he'll probably get sent back in January (If Cook is still here...)

Good Bm Pod guys on 11:50 - Sep 13 with 1861 viewspositivity

Good Bm Pod guys on 11:46 - Sep 13 by hype313

although fwiw ashton did mention that cook had raised celina with him in their first conversations.

i'll add my thanks re: the bm pod too!

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Good Bm Pod guys on 11:51 - Sep 13 with 1839 viewsPhilTWTD

Good Bm Pod guys on 11:44 - Sep 13 by IpsRich

From what I'm told, none of the signings this summer were data led, they're not up and running on that front. It's been a case of utilising the knowledge and contacts of everyone at the club, primarily Cook and his staff, of course, but O'Leary, Ashton etc.
Good Bm Pod guys on 11:52 - Sep 13 with 1811 viewsIpsRich

Good Bm Pod guys on 11:50 - Sep 13 by positivity

although fwiw ashton did mention that cook had raised celina with him in their first conversations.

i'll add my thanks re: the bm pod too!

Thank you!

Good Bm Pod guys on 11:53 - Sep 13 with 1799 viewsPhilTWTD

Thanks for the feedback!

Morrell is more defensive from what I remember of him and Crooks could have been ear-marked for that role as that was where he's previously played a lot of football. Was told early in the summer that Crooks and Celina were the two main targets. And possible there were targets which won't have leaked.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Good Bm Pod guys on 11:54 - Sep 13 with 1794 viewsIpsRich

Good Bm Pod guys on 11:51 - Sep 13 by PhilTWTD

From what I'm told, none of the signings this summer were data led, they're not up and running on that front. It's been a case of utilising the knowledge and contacts of everyone at the club, primarily Cook and his staff, of course, but O'Leary, Ashton etc.

I guess I was thinking him utilising past performance data on publicly available sources, i.e. the fabled Ashton dashboard...?!

Good Bm Pod guys on 12:01 - Sep 13 with 1708 viewsjayessess

Good Bm Pod guys on 11:48 - Sep 13 by SWGF

Interesting point. Evans has been a real disappointment in terms of general performances and captaincy (not taking into account errors directly leading to goals).

Slightly surprised that neither made way for Carroll on Saturday. He's not massively combative, but he does read the game well and he'll make sure you get plenty of controlled possession, slightly reducing how often you need your CMs in defensive mode...
[Post edited 13 Sep 2021 12:22]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Good Bm Pod guys on 12:03 - Sep 13 with 1688 viewsPhilTWTD

Good Bm Pod guys on 11:54 - Sep 13 by IpsRich

I guess I was thinking him utilising past performance data on publicly available sources, i.e. the fabled Ashton dashboard...?!

I'm sure that's in place to some degree but obviously without recruitment staff it's not going to be particularly effective, I wouldn't have thought. I'm sure there was checking out targets' stats but I don't think any targets were identified first through data.

I do agree that there will have been types of target which were preferred by Ashton, Kyle Edwards ahead of Michael Jacobs being an obvious example, the latter having little if any resale value whereas Edwards could potentially go on to yield the club a significant fee.
Good Bm Pod guys on 12:05 - Sep 13 with 1671 viewsSteve_M

Good Bm Pod guys on 11:48 - Sep 13 by SWGF

I doubt it's coincidental that he missed two weeks of pre-season. We've seen many times how big an impact that can have on the fitness of players - Magilton in 2001-02 and Walters in 2009-10 I think) stand out here.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Good Bm Pod guys on 12:05 - Sep 13 with 1662 viewshomer_123

Good Bm Pod guys on 11:49 - Sep 13 by hype313

Yep, although I have a feeling we won't see much of him and he'll probably get sent back in January (If Cook is still here...)

Which is a shame as he can really play.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Good Bm Pod guys on 12:07 - Sep 13 with 1643 viewshype313

Good Bm Pod guys on 12:03 - Sep 13 by PhilTWTD

I'm sure that's in place to some degree but obviously without recruitment staff it's not going to be particularly effective, I wouldn't have thought. I'm sure there was checking out targets' stats but I don't think any targets were identified first through data.

I do agree that there will have been types of target which were preferred by Ashton, Kyle Edwards ahead of Michael Jacobs being an obvious example, the latter having little if any resale value whereas Edwards could potentially go on to yield the club a significant fee.

Do you think this could be one of the issues Phil? The fact that we have a squad that has part Ashton and Part Cook players in it, and that's why He's struggling to get a coherent plan in place?

Good Bm Pod guys on 12:09 - Sep 13 with 1618 viewsPhilTWTD

Good Bm Pod guys on 12:07 - Sep 13 by hype313

Do you think this could be one of the issues Phil? The fact that we have a squad that has part Ashton and Part Cook players in it, and that's why He's struggling to get a coherent plan in place?

I don't think PC would be here if he was having players imposed upon him in that manner. That was the reason he turned down jobs previously; that he felt he wouldn't be allowed to manage.
Good Bm Pod guys on 12:10 - Sep 13 with 1595 views3_5_2

Good Bm Pod guys on 11:42 - Sep 13 by galacticoblue

Teams will know the shape and set up for it surely?

We certainly have been overrun in midfield very time I have seen

He needs a plan B, not keeping changing players into Plan A

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Good Bm Pod guys on 12:31 - Sep 13 with 1442 viewsWhataday78

Thanks for the feedback!

perhaps you should listen to the KOA pod with Mark Ashton, as he touched on Morsy being a target early on.
Good Bm Pod guys on 13:26 - Sep 13 with 1212 viewsSWGF

Good Bm Pod guys on 12:31 - Sep 13 by Whataday78

perhaps you should listen to the KOA pod with Mark Ashton, as he touched on Morsy being a target early on.

Yet he's the only player in the first team squad who can perform that role while we have three first team goalkeepers.

Seems a little strange that, even if Morsy *was* first choice, we wouldn't ensure we had two players for that position/role, like we have for everywhere else, especially when Cook has commented on how important he thinks Morsy will be to everything.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Good Bm Pod guys on 13:33 - Sep 13 with 1189 viewsSwansea_Blue

Harper and Carroll could fit in a treat into 5231. Carroll sits, Harper both sits off the ball and has licence to get forward. Almost a classic DCM pairing imo.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024