Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Standard Ipswich 09:46 - Sep 14 with 4776 viewsOsborneOneNil

New American owners. Massive financial backing. Recruit one of the best squads seen at Div 3 level. Have a manager who most (me included) were totally DELIGHTED to acquire.

And we are 22nd with no wins. Wtf.

I’m not giving up on Cook, just yet, and I pray he gets this sorted as he seemed the clear and obvious choice….but I am worried. I’m clinging to the fact we are only 6 games in. That isn’t any sort of time for a completely new squad to get playing to a level. I know there are exceptions, such as Wigan, but it’s not a given.

Come on Town….time to stand up.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2021 10:28]
Standard Ipswich on 09:53 - Sep 14 with 3908 viewshype313

Yep, I was expecting a little bit of turbulence, but certainly not to this extent.

We clearly have gifted players, and players that on paper are too good for this level.

The biggest concern is Cook, I feel like he's a bit like a rabbit caught in headlights, the Jackson substitution on Saturday was baffling.

Let's hope things start coming together, but he needs to vastly improve the previous results and performances.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Standard Ipswich on 10:19 - Sep 14 with 3810 viewsBLUEBEAT

I really don’t get it.

Cook’s previous managerial record was good.

The new team is better than the old team in paper.

Just get the same vibes as Lambert era where he doesn’t know his best eleven and refuses to use 442.

Poll: W or W

Standard Ipswich on 10:23 - Sep 14 with 3772 viewsMetal_Hacker

Standard Ipswich on 10:19 - Sep 14 by BLUEBEAT

I really don’t get it.

Just get the same vibes as Lambert era where he doesn’t know his best eleven and refuses to use 442.

Think we’re witnessing PC’s inflexibility or simply we’re missing some quality coaches

Think that’s the long snd shirt of it for me

Old cliche being “if it’s not broken why fix it ?” - we’re in the reverse cycle here. It’s totally fooked playing this system. Mix it up snd try your 4-4-2 or a 5-2-3 perhaps

Things need to change surely

Poll: If it were one or the other

Standard Ipswich on 10:25 - Sep 14 with 3753 viewsBiGDonnie

The longer we go without an assistant more doubts are raised over the owners and manager in my view.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Standard Ipswich on 10:25 - Sep 14 with 3748 viewsdavblue

I really don’t get it.

Why does it always have to be 4-4-2?

We've recruited to play a number 10, that much is obvious. I know it isn't working so far but we could have some talent not getting a game who we've paid some decent fees for in this league.

The make up of the side isn't quite right so far, whether that's personnel or we aren't hitting our stride yet who knows but we look a long way off anything.
Standard Ipswich on 10:26 - Sep 14 with 3752 viewshype313

I really don’t get it.

I fear he might die on his rigid formation stance.

Given our wing backs haven't been firing on all cylinders I do wonder if going 442 might just settle things down a bit, can't help but think Piggot and Bonne together would do some damage.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Standard Ipswich on 10:33 - Sep 14 with 3708 viewsOsborneOneNil

Standard Ipswich on 10:25 - Sep 14 by davblue

We've recruited to play a number 10, that much is obvious. I know it isn't working so far but we could have some talent not getting a game who we've paid some decent fees for in this league.

The make up of the side isn't quite right so far, whether that's personnel or we aren't hitting our stride yet who knows but we look a long way off anything.

That's right, and who knows, as simplistic as it sounds maybe once we get Morsy in that side it might all click. Maybe, Harper and Evans are the absolute issue.....and whilst they are clearly quality players, perhaps they are too similar and we need Morsy in there to mix it up.

Here's hoping.

Ps: then we have Celina to come in too......Christ, if we don't get wins with those 2 added then it is clearly Cook/coaching issue.
Standard Ipswich on 10:45 - Sep 14 with 3650 viewsBLUEBEAT

Always have to be 442?

It very rarely is these days.

It’s a solid set-up and gives more presence to the midfield, which we always lack, that’s why.

Re No.10 role… 442 can easily, and often is, 4411.

Login to get fewer ads

Standard Ipswich on 10:59 - Sep 14 with 3582 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Standard Ipswich on 10:45 - Sep 14 by BLUEBEAT

Always have to be 442?

It very rarely is these days.

It’s a solid set-up and gives more presence to the midfield, which we always lack, that’s why.

Re No.10 role… 442 can easily, and often is, 4411.

How does it give more presence to the midfield? It's actually playing one less in midfield whilst asking your two CMs to do more(something our current two are already failing at)

This constant clamour for 442 always baffles me - it is just not a good formation anymore and that is exactly why most of football has moved away from it.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Standard Ipswich on 11:08 - Sep 14 with 3536 viewsBLUEBEAT

Standard Ipswich on 10:59 - Sep 14 by JammyDodgerrr

How does it give more presence to the midfield? It's actually playing one less in midfield whilst asking your two CMs to do more(something our current two are already failing at)

This constant clamour for 442 always baffles me - it is just not a good formation anymore and that is exactly why most of football has moved away from it.

Because the players used in this formation are generally more m/f orientated, rather than peripherals.

Seems that in the few times we reverted to this formation over the last couple of seasons, performances have improved. That is the sole reason why I’d like to see it brought back.

Standard Ipswich on 11:47 - Sep 14 with 3321 viewsWallingford_Boy

3-5-2 for me (when in possession).

Woolfie Edmundson Burgess
KVY Coulson
Burns Morsy Edwards
Bonne Pigott

RIP Sir Bobby

Standard Ipswich on 11:58 - Sep 14 with 3281 viewsRomeo4

Standard Ipswich on 11:47 - Sep 14 by Wallingford_Boy

3-5-2 for me (when in possession).

Woolfie Edmundson Burgess
KVY Coulson
Burns Morsy Edwards
Bonne Pigott

This formation may well suit our personnel. However opposing teams often play with just 1 main striker which means at least one of our 3 CBs would be unnecessary and would potentially leave Morsy completely overloaded in the middle of the park.

The key to any team shape is good players (which we have) and an element of flexibility. Adapting to different phases of a game. Our last manager couldn’t address this and it’s becoming a little worrying that the current one can’t (or won’t) either.
Standard Ipswich on 12:27 - Sep 14 with 3166 viewsIllinoisblue

As much as Cook has been terrible - and let’s be honest, it’s Hurst levels of awfulness - you would hope the players would show some pride and not roll over and buckle in every damn game.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Standard Ipswich on 12:29 - Sep 14 with 3133 viewsBlueBadger

Standard Ipswich on 12:27 - Sep 14 by Illinoisblue

As much as Cook has been terrible - and let’s be honest, it’s Hurst levels of awfulness - you would hope the players would show some pride and not roll over and buckle in every damn game.

I'm starting to feel like 'Hurst is a very unlucky man to have not one, but TWO whole squads of players not interested in winning games. I wonder if there's a common denominator' is becoming the new 'improved football and a better match day experience'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Standard Ipswich on 12:39 - Sep 14 with 3053 viewsChrisd

I really don’t get it.

I agree Bluebeat. PC's managerial record is a good one, when some are comparing him to PH I find that laughable, but why is he struggling so much here? It's not because he's a fraud as other clubs would've exposed him previously. Then, you look at our new squad, the new signings on the whole, are an upgrade on what we had previously, with a couple of exceptions. Look at the reactions from most when we were signing these players this summer, the majority of us -me included - were more than happy who had been brought in, there weren't too many complaints.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Standard Ipswich on 12:54 - Sep 14 with 2961 viewsMetal_Hacker

Standard Ipswich on 12:39 - Sep 14 by Chrisd

I agree Bluebeat. PC's managerial record is a good one, when some are comparing him to PH I find that laughable, but why is he struggling so much here? It's not because he's a fraud as other clubs would've exposed him previously. Then, you look at our new squad, the new signings on the whole, are an upgrade on what we had previously, with a couple of exceptions. Look at the reactions from most when we were signing these players this summer, the majority of us -me included - were more than happy who had been brought in, there weren't too many complaints.

Has to be the coaching right ?

Quality players and a quality manager don’t become a lesser standard within weeks for no apparent but if a plan isn’t created properly or executed correctly , it’ll never work

It’s coaching , has to be

Standard Ipswich on 13:26 - Sep 14 with 2831 viewsOsborneOneNil

Standard Ipswich on 12:54 - Sep 14 by Metal_Hacker

Has to be the coaching right ?

Quality players and a quality manager don’t become a lesser standard within weeks for no apparent but if a plan isn’t created properly or executed correctly , it’ll never work

It’s coaching , has to be

You're right, has to be. It appears we are neglecting how to play when out of possession.
Standard Ipswich on 13:33 - Sep 14 with 2777 viewsChrisd

Standard Ipswich on 13:26 - Sep 14 by OsborneOneNil

You're right, has to be. It appears we are neglecting how to play when out of possession.

But how can a manager with a good reputation and a decent playing career not think that was important? Just find it really strange.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Standard Ipswich on 14:22 - Sep 14 with 2641 viewsbackwaywhen

I really don’t get it.

Liam Richardson
Standard Ipswich on 14:40 - Sep 14 with 2607 viewsMetal_Hacker

Standard Ipswich on 14:22 - Sep 14 by backwaywhen

Liam Richardson

I'm tending to start to believe it's the missing link - Leam RIchardson

If not LR ,just a decent tactically astute individual who has the ear of PC and the credibility to be able to be the go between the players and PC as well .An assistant who can identify an issue in a game and voice his opinion to PC to make changes

Standard Ipswich on 15:04 - Sep 14 with 2536 viewsBlueNomad

Standard Ipswich on 14:40 - Sep 14 by Metal_Hacker

I'm tending to start to believe it's the missing link - Leam RIchardson

If not LR ,just a decent tactically astute individual who has the ear of PC and the credibility to be able to be the go between the players and PC as well .An assistant who can identify an issue in a game and voice his opinion to PC to make changes

McGreal should be the word
Standard Ipswich on 15:14 - Sep 14 with 2484 viewsMetal_Hacker

Standard Ipswich on 15:04 - Sep 14 by BlueNomad

McGreal should be the word

I mentioned McGreal like loads have only last week

They're good mates or so we're told (him and PC) - He's not working but by all accounts he might not want a number 2 job

Dunno either way , PC needs help I reckon - or simply stop being stubborn OR the other coaches need to man up and voice their own opinions perhaps

Standard Ipswich on 15:24 - Sep 14 with 2455 viewsjayessess

Standard Ipswich on 10:59 - Sep 14 by JammyDodgerrr

Me too in general, although at the minute I can't help but think that a conventional 4-4-2 (or pretty much any formation you can imagine really) would be a lot more defensively solid than the de facto 4-0-6 we're playing, where invariably losing the ball means a lot of one-on-one defending for everyone.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Standard Ipswich on 15:29 - Sep 14 with 2441 viewsgordon

Standard Ipswich on 10:33 - Sep 14 by OsborneOneNil

That's right, and who knows, as simplistic as it sounds maybe once we get Morsy in that side it might all click. Maybe, Harper and Evans are the absolute issue.....and whilst they are clearly quality players, perhaps they are too similar and we need Morsy in there to mix it up.

Here's hoping.

Ps: then we have Celina to come in too......Christ, if we don't get wins with those 2 added then it is clearly Cook/coaching issue.

Yeah, to me Harper and Evans have looked really poor.
Standard Ipswich on 15:37 - Sep 14 with 2394 viewsgordon

Standard Ipswich on 15:24 - Sep 14 by jayessess

Me too in general, although at the minute I can't help but think that a conventional 4-4-2 (or pretty much any formation you can imagine really) would be a lot more defensively solid than the de facto 4-0-6 we're playing, where invariably losing the ball means a lot of one-on-one defending for everyone.

Don't think the formation matters as much as people think except defensively - going from a back four to 3 centre-backs and vice versa is quite a big change for the centre-backs, full-backs and midfielders in terms of positioning and responsibilities etc.

But in an attacking sense, there's really not that much difference between 4-3-3, 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1, 4-4-1-1 whatever, because attackers need less positional discipline (except the centre-forward maybe), and indeed being more fluid makes it harder for the opposition to deal with.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024