Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
COOK IN! 08:17 - Sep 15 with 5875 viewsblueysbackside

Just what was everyone expecting?

I thought we were all on board with the new plan at the start of the season. You know, the one where we made unprecedented changes — those being an entire new starting XI and almost a new squad. And I repeat ‘unprecedented’ — NO OTHER TEAM HAVE DONE THIS.

Just how long did we think it would take for everything to come together on the pitch?

We’ve played just a handful of games. These players — and the boss — need time. We’ve played what’s arguably our starting back five just once this season. Our stellar signings, Morsy and Celina, have not yet featured together on the pitch — and won’t for a while. Morsy has, of course, played just once.

What do you expect when there are no partnerships formed on the pitch? These take time with SO many changes. We are not integrating one or two players into this team, but 19. NINETEEN.

Write off this season, forget it. We’re not going up. Next season, perhaps. We’ve turned into the pot noodle brigade, demanding instant gratification.

Some fans in here are even giving Cook until the end of this month if he doesn’t win a League game. Utter madness.

On the first day of this season, we drew 2-2 with Morecambe. That team featured just one player - KVY - who started the last game of the previous season.

A number of peeps in here have pointed to Morecambe as another team who have made numerous changes. As I keep pointing out, what they’ve have done isn’t to the same scale.

They had five players who started that game who also started their play-off final win of last season, (with other familiar faces on the bench).

So what am I getting at?

Well, in a nutshell, I believe Cook needs at least until Xmas before we start contemplating another new manager.

If you look at our current squad, Kayden Jackson is our top appearance maker in the League (95), followed by Woolfie (64), Norwood (58) and Holy (57), none of whom are regular starters now.

So I’d argue most our players wouldn’t know their way into town, let alone the attributes of the player in front of them on the pitch.

I feel sorry for Cook. I think we’ve turned into a version of Watford in League One, with a group of players assembled with little input from the boss.

And to even try to see what 19 players can do in a game.....he hasn't got another pre-season. It's a thankless task

But do you really think that any manager at this level would have turned us into world beaters by now? Wait, be patient.

COOK IN! on 08:18 - Sep 15 with 2731 viewsBlueBadger

I'm not expecting us top of the table 15 points clear, but I don't think that beating MK Dons, Real Dons, Burton, Morecombe or an under-21 team and more than 3 points fro m6 league games is an unreasonable expectation from an entitled fanbase.

Still, football's better and the match day experience is off the charts.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2021 8:21]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

COOK IN! on 08:24 - Sep 15 with 2682 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

"I thought we were all on board with the new plan at the start of the season. You know, the one where we made unprecedented changes — those being an entire new starting XI and almost a new squad. And I repeat ‘unprecedented’ — NO OTHER TEAM HAVE DONE THIS."

This was Cooks choice, so he owns the consequences.

The gelling excuse doesnt cover no wins in 8 matches and a 5-2 home defeat to Bolton.

Cooks has had half a season and managed 4 wins.

Cook appointed one of the most inexperienced coaching teams in the history of football.

Its OK to question Cook.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

COOK IN! on 08:26 - Sep 15 with 2639 viewsZXBlue

Then why didnt he give his preferred back five an opportunity to develop partnerships last night....?
COOK IN! on 08:27 - Sep 15 with 2635 viewsblueysbackside

COOK IN! on 08:24 - Sep 15 by Marshalls_Mullet

"I thought we were all on board with the new plan at the start of the season. You know, the one where we made unprecedented changes — those being an entire new starting XI and almost a new squad. And I repeat ‘unprecedented’ — NO OTHER TEAM HAVE DONE THIS."

The gelling excuse doesnt cover no wins in 8 matches and a 5-2 home defeat to Bolton.

Cook appointed one of the most inexperienced coaching teams in the history of football.

Its OK to question Cook.

I'd say - in months to come - we're likely to learn that his input in signings wasn't that great.
COOK IN! on 08:28 - Sep 15 with 2631 viewshomer_123

Step back and look at the bigger picture with regards to Cook.

He couldn't get anything out of the existing squad when he joined, in fact he got almost nothing out of them.

He squarely placed that on the previous squad, fair enough.

He now has a squad of his making, which on paper looks very strong for this division. He is getting almost nothing out of this group and interestingly we are actually getting worse and not better, there is no progress.

Two solid weeks of coaching with the full squad and we get stuffed at home to Bolton and another home loss by an U21 West Ham team.

Midway through Sept - what I would expect to see is maybe the odd win, even if a few poorer results but I would expect, as a bare minimum, to see progress and the team coming together.....that's the most worrying aspect for me - we are not progressing, we are not gelling, we are not cohesive, we are not playing as a team and defensively we are shocking.

That is entirely, 100% on Cook and his kitmen (sorry coaches).

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

COOK IN! on 08:28 - Sep 15 with 2619 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

COOK IN! on 08:27 - Sep 15 by blueysbackside

I'd say - in months to come - we're likely to learn that his input in signings wasn't that great.

It was Cooks choice to overhaul the squad.

I suspect the majority of signings were his, and he isn't complaining about Edwards and Celina.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

COOK IN! on 08:28 - Sep 15 with 2615 viewsblueysbackside

COOK IN! on 08:26 - Sep 15 by ZXBlue

Then why didnt he give his preferred back five an opportunity to develop partnerships last night....?

he can't win, can he? perhaps he wanted to look at other players, give some a much-needed 90 mins. you don't know if some players were carrying knocks.
COOK IN! on 08:29 - Sep 15 with 2600 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

COOK IN! on 08:28 - Sep 15 by homer_123

He couldn't get anything out of the existing squad when he joined, in fact he got almost nothing out of them.

He now has a squad of his making, which on paper looks very strong for this division. He is getting almost nothing out of this group and interestingly we are actually getting worse and not better, there is no progress.

Two solid weeks of coaching with the full squad and we get stuffed at home to Bolton and another home loss by an U21 West Ham team.

Midway through Sept - what I would expect to see is maybe the odd win, even if a few poorer results but I would expect, as a bare minimum, to see progress and the team coming together.....that's the most worrying aspect for me - we are not progressing, we are not gelling, we are not cohesive, we are not playing as a team and defensively we are shocking.

This.

He came in on the back of 3 wins, and not far off play offs too. Then finished the season with a whimper.

Login to get fewer ads

COOK IN! on 08:30 - Sep 15 with 2592 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

COOK IN! on 08:28 - Sep 15 by blueysbackside

he can't win, can he? perhaps he wanted to look at other players, give some a much-needed 90 mins. you don't know if some players were carrying knocks.

Thats the problem, he cant win.

COOK IN! on 08:31 - Sep 15 with 2572 viewsTractorCam

So judging by your first paragraph, I take it you thought we would be in the relegation zone with no wins including x2 cup defeats?

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

COOK IN! on 08:31 - Sep 15 with 2568 viewshomer_123

COOK IN! on 08:27 - Sep 15 by blueysbackside

I don't think Cook can, in any way, complain about the squad at his disposal.

COOK IN! on 08:31 - Sep 15 with 2566 viewsCheltenham_Blue

COOK IN! on 08:24 - Sep 15 by Marshalls_Mullet

Its OK to question Cook.

I'm sure even the most reasonable fan is questioning cook now, (the person typing this as case in point).

But it does strike me there are a good number on this forum and other places that have literally being waiting for the opportunity to type "Cook Out" since before a ball was kicked.

That being said, Cook publicly saying "We're a soft touch", when all of the 19 recruited were either known to him or on his shopping list, makes me wonder where his head is. The decision not to bring in an experienced centre half is baffling, as is getting your full backs to 'Bomb on', to use a Cookism, and allow your wide forwards to stay up.

If he wants bombing full backs, he's got to switch to 4-4-2 or a flatter 4-5-1 IMHO.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

COOK IN! on 08:33 - Sep 15 with 2538 viewsblueysbackside

COOK IN! on 08:28 - Sep 15 by Marshalls_Mullet

It was Cooks choice to overhaul the squad.

I suspect the majority of signings were his, and he isn't complaining about Edwards and Celina.

I doubt very much he came in and said to Ashton: 'I must have Celina'. I think there was a pool of players targeted by our top brass and he was asked his thoughts. Yep, he probably had his say on a few, such as Morsy.
Yes, it was his decision to overhaul the squad. Now he needs time to develop a new one.
Out of interest, how long would you give him?
COOK IN! on 08:36 - Sep 15 with 2503 viewsHerbivore

COOK IN! on 08:31 - Sep 15 by Cheltenham_Blue

I'm sure even the most reasonable fan is questioning cook now, (the person typing this as case in point).

But it does strike me there are a good number on this forum and other places that have literally being waiting for the opportunity to type "Cook Out" since before a ball was kicked.

That being said, Cook publicly saying "We're a soft touch", when all of the 19 recruited were either known to him or on his shopping list, makes me wonder where his head is. The decision not to bring in an experienced centre half is baffling, as is getting your full backs to 'Bomb on', to use a Cookism, and allow your wide forwards to stay up.

If he wants bombing full backs, he's got to switch to 4-4-2 or a flatter 4-5-1 IMHO.

The idea that people went into this season wanting Cook to fail is absolute nonsense. If Cook fails, we fail.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

COOK IN! on 08:36 - Sep 15 with 2503 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

COOK IN! on 08:33 - Sep 15 by blueysbackside

I doubt very much he came in and said to Ashton: 'I must have Celina'. I think there was a pool of players targeted by our top brass and he was asked his thoughts. Yep, he probably had his say on a few, such as Morsy.
Yes, it was his decision to overhaul the squad. Now he needs time to develop a new one.
Out of interest, how long would you give him?

If he hasn't won by the end of Sept, I would let him go.

He has a terrible record over his 6 month tenure.

He chose to overhaul the squad, and we accept that can take time... but his big downfall is appointing a very inexperienced set of coaches to help with that.

No more excuses.

COOK IN! on 08:36 - Sep 15 with 2502 viewsblueysbackside

COOK IN! on 08:31 - Sep 15 by homer_123

I don't think Cook can, in any way, complain about the squad at his disposal.

But you accept the point that with this new squad, with these 19 signings, and without a pre-season, he will need time - not just two weeks on the training ground between games. Whether or not it's his fault, he DOES need time.
COOK IN! on 08:38 - Sep 15 with 2482 viewsHerbivore

COOK IN! on 08:36 - Sep 15 by blueysbackside

But you accept the point that with this new squad, with these 19 signings, and without a pre-season, he will need time - not just two weeks on the training ground between games. Whether or not it's his fault, he DOES need time.

Wait, we didn't have a preseason?

COOK IN! on 08:38 - Sep 15 with 2482 viewsfab_lover

Yes, but...

1. The reason there is an entirely new team is down to Cook. He took a team last season which wasn't far off the play-off places and "broke" it.

2. Our "stellar" signings were amongst the last made. What if they hadn't come here ? What if they get injured ?

3. Footballers are meant to form these partnerships not just when they are playing in front of crowds. That was the worse thing about the Bolton game - they'd had two weeks in training to find some sort of cohesion, there isn't any.

I said to my friends who are fans that I was worried that Cook had been given the keys to the piggy bank after he did so badly last season, and that if he got it wrong, we were in big trouble. No way with the signings we have would anyone expect us to tread water this year; but at the moment, we're not treading water, we are going under.

I'm a manager myself, not football obviously, but Cook was given a hell of "free pass" last season, which would have been acceptable if this season, there was any sign of a change. There isn't. As a manager, you live and die by results, and when you've had as long as he has, and not come up with them, your position becomes untenable with each day that goes by when you fail to get the results. On paper, Cook should have worked, but the game isn't played on paper. I'm sure he's a lovely bloke, but so what ? He's assembled a team which isn't working, that's down to him and no-one else; but whether he should have had that opportunity after last season's results was to me very debatable, and I take no pleasure in currently being proven right.
COOK IN! on 08:38 - Sep 15 with 2473 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

COOK IN! on 08:38 - Sep 15 by Herbivore

Another myth.

COOK IN! on 08:38 - Sep 15 with 2467 viewsblueysbackside

COOK IN! on 08:31 - Sep 15 by TractorCam

So judging by your first paragraph, I take it you thought we would be in the relegation zone with no wins including x2 cup defeats?

Quick answer. No. However, once I realised just how big this plan was - an entire new squad - I had to accept that in the short-term we'd be finding our feet. I'm happy to wait until Xmas before I start calling for a new boss.
COOK IN! on 08:40 - Sep 15 with 2442 viewshomer_123

COOK IN! on 08:36 - Sep 15 by blueysbackside

You seem to be writing off what went before the summer.

My question to you - what have you seen during the games so far that indicates we are moving in the right direction? What evidence is there to suggest that Cook was right and it was the squad that was the reason he couldn't get wins last year? What is the common factor that you see when you consider our results are similar with the current new squad and the squad from last year?

No one is questioning that we have made big big changes. As I have said, for me 'progress' is what you are looking for. Explain to me how after two solid weeks of training we actually go backwards, look worse and get thumped at home.

COOK IN! on 08:41 - Sep 15 with 2428 viewsHerbivore

COOK IN! on 08:38 - Sep 15 by blueysbackside

Quick answer. No. However, once I realised just how big this plan was - an entire new squad - I had to accept that in the short-term we'd be finding our feet. I'm happy to wait until Xmas before I start calling for a new boss.

You do realise that finding your feet is not incompatible with grinding out a couple of sketchy wins, right? You don't just write off the prospect of picking points up because the team is still finding its feet, especially when we have so much more individual quality than every other side we've faced.

COOK IN! on 08:41 - Sep 15 with 2426 viewshomer_123

COOK IN! on 08:38 - Sep 15 by Herbivore

Revisionism

Wait for the '....but everyone wasn't here for pre-season' - like that isn't normal for any club.

COOK IN! on 08:41 - Sep 15 with 2425 viewsMetal_Hacker

COOK IN! on 08:28 - Sep 15 by homer_123

I could even handle a defeat if the performances were better BUT alas - they're still shocking and in all fairness perhaps getting a great deal worse

It's having to manage another defeat AND the performances on the pitch getting severely worse that's killing me slowly

This is solely on Cook

It's the hope........

Poll: If it were one or the other

COOK IN! on 08:42 - Sep 15 with 2405 viewshomer_123

COOK IN! on 08:41 - Sep 15 by Herbivore

You do realise that finding your feet is not incompatible with grinding out a couple of sketchy wins, right? You don't just write off the prospect of picking points up because the team is still finding its feet, especially when we have so much more individual quality than every other side we've faced.

Indeed, as I said earlier.

I'd have expected us to pick up a couple of wins along with maybe the odd poor performance or result due to the changes made but I doubt anyone would have predicted just how poor our results have been and also, worryingly, the real lack of progress being made aside from results.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024