Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Some of those players look like they don't really want to be here 09:38 - Sep 15 with 1744 viewsWarkystache

That's the issue. A lot was made about 'dropping down a level, wouldn't have done it for anyone else but Cook' especially from the likes of Evans, Morsy, Chaplin.

The only ones who've looked inspired are Bonne and Burns. KVY has lost confidence, the defence as a whole is shambolic and Bolton won on Saturday because they looked a team, rather than a collection of hastily recruited individuals who switch off at key moments.

If Cook is sacked, I can see a new manager having the hell of a job keeping some of that squad motivated to play well. It's becoming worryingly apparent that he recruited players he was previously close to and who have bought into us because of him and him alone.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2021 9:39]

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

Some of those players look like they don't really want to be here on 09:47 - Sep 15 with 1666 viewspositivity

not sure about the 'dropping down a level' issue, evans hasn't dropped down and we haven't seen enough of morsy and chaplin to judge; bonne on the other hand has dropped down...

i think any problem (of cook's sacking) will be more that some have been sold on the project by cook being the manager as you say in the last paragraph

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Some of those players look like they don't really want to be here on 09:54 - Sep 15 with 1621 viewsjayessess

Last season it was "the players aren't motivated, they've all got bad attitudes", now it's "these players aren't motivated, they don't want to be here". Weird how other clubs seem to magically source these hyper-motivated players and we can't!

In reality, the vast majority of footballers are ambitious and want to succeed, you don't often make it as a pro if you aren't super motivated. They've all got serious reasons to want to be brilliant for Ipswich Town, no one's career is going to be improved by being rubbish for us. "They can't be arsed" wasn't a realistic explanation for why we were bad last season and it's not a realistic explanation for why we're bad now.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Some of those players look like they don't really want to be here on 09:56 - Sep 15 with 1595 viewsElderGrizzly

Some of those players look like they don't really want to be here on 09:47 - Sep 15 by positivity

not sure about the 'dropping down a level' issue, evans hasn't dropped down and we haven't seen enough of morsy and chaplin to judge; bonne on the other hand has dropped down...

i think any problem (of cook's sacking) will be more that some have been sold on the project by cook being the manager as you say in the last paragraph

Footballers also aren't entirely stupid.

If they thought signing 3 and 4 year contracts would also see Cook stay here for that period, maybe they are stupid.

They'll know if they continue to lose, he'll be sacked.

And it's better for them to get promoted financially too, so they might actually welcome it.
Some of those players look like they don't really want to be here on 10:13 - Sep 15 with 1529 viewstimothyeo

Some of those players look like they don't really want to be here on 09:54 - Sep 15 by jayessess

Last season it was "the players aren't motivated, they've all got bad attitudes", now it's "these players aren't motivated, they don't want to be here". Weird how other clubs seem to magically source these hyper-motivated players and we can't!

In reality, the vast majority of footballers are ambitious and want to succeed, you don't often make it as a pro if you aren't super motivated. They've all got serious reasons to want to be brilliant for Ipswich Town, no one's career is going to be improved by being rubbish for us. "They can't be arsed" wasn't a realistic explanation for why we were bad last season and it's not a realistic explanation for why we're bad now.

Spot on, but 80% of this forum fell for Cook's lazy appraisal of the existing squad hook line and sinker.
Some of those players look like they don't really want to be here on 08:50 - Sep 16 with 1271 viewsquad

Some of those players look like they don't really want to be here on 10:13 - Sep 15 by timothyeo

Spot on, but 80% of this forum fell for Cook's lazy appraisal of the existing squad hook line and sinker.

Not you though I bet. As you're so clever and have such a vastly superior football knowledge to everybody else.

In my opinion the squad were unmotivated, had bad attitudes and were mostly crap last season which is why most of them ended up going to Colchester. Just because we've played sh*t this season does not change that.

The Bolton game this season was humiliating but there has to be a bit more hope of success this season than there was last despite your constant negative comments. As individually we've generally got better players.
Some of those players look like they don't really want to be here on 09:15 - Sep 16 with 1192 viewsSharkey

Some of those players look like they don't really want to be here on 08:50 - Sep 16 by quad

Not you though I bet. As you're so clever and have such a vastly superior football knowledge to everybody else.

In my opinion the squad were unmotivated, had bad attitudes and were mostly crap last season which is why most of them ended up going to Colchester. Just because we've played sh*t this season does not change that.

The Bolton game this season was humiliating but there has to be a bit more hope of success this season than there was last despite your constant negative comments. As individually we've generally got better players.

A large part of the reason half of them went to Colchester is that they like living here. So far, it's unlikely that many of the new players do, (Napoleon?) Bonne apart, so the OP is quite probably right. Whatever major squad overhauls have been done by Cook and others elsewhere, it's unlikely that quite so many players have ever had to relocate to a strange part of the country. Without the feel-good factor of a few wins under their belts, and with no existing club culture to buy into in the form of senior players saying 'welcome, this is the way we do it round here', it would be surprising if half of them weren't a bit homesick. Seeing as you mention Colchester, I think any Colchester fan would tell you that when Colchester finished second in this league many moons ago, the two most important players were probably the old lags Duguid and Izzet, the ones who'd say to the greater talents who arrived (from Australia, from Liverpool, from Scotland), 'here's where we drink, lads, and here's where we avoid'.
Some of those players look like they don't really want to be here on 09:23 - Sep 16 with 1168 viewsSomethingBlue

Some of those players look like they don't really want to be here on 09:54 - Sep 15 by jayessess

Spot on.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Some of those players look like they don't really want to be here on 09:51 - Sep 16 with 1082 viewsDarth_Koont

Well said. Bizarre how people are so comfortable projecting their own standards and values on elite athletes in an ultra-competitive sport and industry.

If there are issues with motivation, confidence etc. it’s on the fine yet still lofty margins where games are decided.

Pronouns: He/Him

Login to get fewer ads

Some of those players look like they don't really want to be here on 10:03 - Sep 16 with 1031 viewsChrisd

Some of those players look like they don't really want to be here on 10:13 - Sep 15 by timothyeo

That's not to say on paper if you go through man for man that we've not got a better squad of players this season, apart from a few exceptions.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Some of those players look like they don't really want to be here on 10:32 - Sep 16 with 956 viewsJ2BLUE

Sorry mate but I think that's a load of rubbish.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Some of those players look like they don't really want to be here on 11:07 - Sep 16 with 852 viewsjayessess

Some of those players look like they don't really want to be here on 08:50 - Sep 16 by quad

Last year's squad might well have been "mostly crap", although I think this year has proven that Cook's system is (at the very least) very difficult to adapt to.

I'll always take issue with "unmotivated" and "bad attitudes". I just don't think it's tenable that we stumbled across 30 guys who weren't motivated by the same things every other footballer is motivated by (money, success, praise, achievements, career progression, winning). Guys who are like that don't make it as pro footballers very often.

I find it especially hard to tie "bad attitudes" to the guys who went to Colchester. Chambers and Skuse? No one thinks that. Judge and Sears? Ask Mick McCarthy about Sears' attitude. Alan Judge? Fought his way back from a compound leg fracture and, whatever else you could say about his time at Ipswich, he certainly put a shift in. They've ended up going to Colchester because they're in their 30s and were just bombed out of a League One side. That's what happens.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2021 11:13]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Some of those players look like they don't really want to be here on 12:37 - Sep 16 with 756 viewsArnieM

None of these players were forced to sign for this club. Get a grip !

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024