Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A lot of ITFC fans would do well to watch this Ashton interview again 09:59 - Sep 15 with 2640 viewsTooManyCooks

this morning.

hedgehog flavoured cucumbers

I won't bother thanks, I expect..... on 10:02 - Sep 15 with 1975 viewsBloots

....it's the standard middle/senior management guff about characters, timelines, the process, the project, etc etc.

I hear it every day from better people than him.

It's all management speak dog crap.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

maybe we need to run up a flagpole on 10:04 - Sep 15 with 1948 viewsKeno

I won't bother thanks, I expect..... on 10:02 - Sep 15 by Bloots

....it's the standard middle/senior management guff about characters, timelines, the process, the project, etc etc.

and salute it?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

I won't bother thanks, I expect..... on 10:04 - Sep 15 with 1950 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

I understand where you are coming from and I am the first to dismiss David Brent style nonsense but with respect to him, I do buy into what he is trying to achieve as his part of the deal.
A lot of ITFC fans would do well to watch this Ashton interview again on 10:08 - Sep 15 with 1908 viewsBlueBlood90

I think we were all quite happy to be patient as we need time to gel etc but being third bottom was not part of the script and shouldn't be deemed acceptable with the squad we have and the money we have spent.

I also won't accept the gelling excuse from Cook after last nights team selection. Everyone who played Saturday should've played last night.

Poll: Do you think we have a stronger squad this season or last season?

A lot of ITFC fans would do well to watch this Ashton interview again on 10:09 - Sep 15 with 1899 viewstimothyeo

It's standard non-committal conjecture and BS spouting that some fans lap up, and others are more life-aware of and treat it as nothing more.

Either way, it means absolutely nothing.
I won't bother thanks, I expect..... on 10:09 - Sep 15 with 1888 viewsTractorWood

I won't bother thanks, I expect..... on 10:04 - Sep 15 by BlueBlueBluex2

I understand where you are coming from and I am the first to dismiss David Brent style nonsense but with respect to him, I do buy into what he is trying to achieve as his part of the deal.

It's totally generic waffle.

Some people are just hearing what they want to hear.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2021 10:10]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

I won't bother thanks, I expect..... on 10:11 - Sep 15 with 1859 viewstimothyeo

I won't bother thanks, I expect..... on 10:09 - Sep 15 by TractorWood

It's totally generic waffle.

Some people are just hearing what they want to hear.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2021 10:10]

Of course it is, and it's not a criticism of Ashton, it's what people in his position do and seems to work because a decent % of any fanbase will lap it up.
He had such a low bar to beat..... on 10:13 - Sep 15 with 1845 viewsBloots

I won't bother thanks, I expect..... on 10:04 - Sep 15 by BlueBlueBluex2

...in fact no bar at all.

So I'm not surprised a lot of people have bought into it.

Personally I'd suggest that if you've got a sodding great wallet of cash to flash around then getting money grabbing employees to come and work for you isn't really that difficult.

Dress it up with a load of hackneyed old management cliches, a team of sycophantic subordinates and you have a short term success story.

(except if you fail spectacularly)

Login to get fewer ads

I won't bother thanks, I expect..... on 10:23 - Sep 15 with 1767 viewsRadlett_blue

This is what Ashton does - speaks a load of corporate waffle. Somehow, this act keeps leading him to get senior jobs in football.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

A lot of ITFC fans would do well to watch this Ashton interview again on 10:27 - Sep 15 with 1746 viewsMediocre_Quick

And continue to happy clap ourselves to another relegation with the muppet he has belief in leadig us there,

Get a grip, we're falling, and fast, Cook either needs a kick up the backside, or a new manager is required to actually get the best out of these players
He had such a low bar to beat..... on 10:31 - Sep 15 with 1732 viewsTooManyCooks

He had such a low bar to beat..... on 10:13 - Sep 15 by Bloots

...in fact no bar at all.

So I'm not surprised a lot of people have bought into it.

Personally I'd suggest that if you've got a sodding great wallet of cash to flash around then getting money grabbing employees to come and work for you isn't really that difficult.

Dress it up with a load of hackneyed old management cliches, a team of sycophantic subordinates and you have a short term success story.

(except if you fail spectacularly)

We knew that money would be made available by our investors, but we also knew that departing players were likely to cover the cost of most of those coming in and I recall Ashton saying we were pretty much net when all was said and done at the end of the transfer window.

In terms of "money grabbing employees" and "short term success" the complete opposite has been clearly outlined by Ashton and all of the new owners. Many of the incoming players took pay cuts to join us. The owners made a collective decision to implement drastic change both on and off the pitch, in order that they could deliver the long term goals for the club, they took a long term view to put the club before themselves and short term gratification and that deserves respect.

Nobody should have been under the illusion that we were living a fairy tale, it was always more likely to be Brothers Grimm for the foreseeable and that expectation was clearly set by the powers that be, we are a project that will take time and that's what the club has asked for, time and patience. We STILL have several nailed on 1st team starters (including the Captain) yet to start a league game, but there are wildly unrealistic expectations among the fan base that we should somehow be winning games already, sure it would be nice to luck out, but we're not presently, we are going to have to wait for it to click.

hedgehog flavoured cucumbers

I can see why you.... on 10:40 - Sep 15 with 1686 viewsBloots

He had such a low bar to beat..... on 10:31 - Sep 15 by TooManyCooks

We knew that money would be made available by our investors, but we also knew that departing players were likely to cover the cost of most of those coming in and I recall Ashton saying we were pretty much net when all was said and done at the end of the transfer window.

In terms of "money grabbing employees" and "short term success" the complete opposite has been clearly outlined by Ashton and all of the new owners. Many of the incoming players took pay cuts to join us. The owners made a collective decision to implement drastic change both on and off the pitch, in order that they could deliver the long term goals for the club, they took a long term view to put the club before themselves and short term gratification and that deserves respect.

Nobody should have been under the illusion that we were living a fairy tale, it was always more likely to be Brothers Grimm for the foreseeable and that expectation was clearly set by the powers that be, we are a project that will take time and that's what the club has asked for, time and patience. We STILL have several nailed on 1st team starters (including the Captain) yet to start a league game, but there are wildly unrealistic expectations among the fan base that we should somehow be winning games already, sure it would be nice to luck out, but we're not presently, we are going to have to wait for it to click.

....have fallen for the silver tongued executive.

Did Ashton write that post for you?

This was my favourite bit.....

"wildly unrealistic expectations among the fan base that we should somehow be winning games already"

Hilarious.

(unless you are being sarcastic, which the more I think about it, you must be.....surely)

He had such a low bar to beat..... on 11:02 - Sep 15 with 1616 viewsFevsBCFC

Really easy for Ashton to put out messages that show him in a good light - many players took wage cuts to come here.

He knows the fans don’t have the fact to challenge that, but what is the reality of it.

For the free transfers who were out of contract, some might be on less than their old contract, but their previous contract was signed in boom-time, not during Covid.

Aluko - is most likely on less than he was at Reading, but it’s relative, nobody was gonna pay him that amount at 32. So really easy to say he’s taken a wage cut.

Nobody can tell me Joe Pigott, Cameron Burgess and Wes Burns are on less money at Ipswich than they were on last season.

At City, Ashton would always hide behind stuff like contracts and fees, sell-ons, etc with “it’s commercially sensitive”, but when it showed him in a good light, e.g. Josh Brownhill rumours of a move, he gives it large “of course we had a sell-on”, whilst he never admitted we had to sell him for less than market value the previous January because he had a buy-out option at £7m in that summer.

What you really need to do is ignore what he’s saying and judge on action / achievement. You can blame Cook, and yes he deserves a lot of flak for the start, but don’t make Ashton the messiah yet, because he is running the show, recruiting players that the manager should’ve said no to, who by November won’t be anywhere near playing and be burdening your club’s finances for a good while.

He is surrounded by “his men”, O’Leary his mate from West Brom, Oxford, Alycidon Ltd and Werhun, his COO (WTAF qualifications has he got?) and nephew / brother-in-law (can’t remember which), Andy Rolls (his mate from Watford) who brought in his mate Andy Costin (check out his background!). I get that football has nepotism.

The current owners and Chairman were happy to appoint Cook, it was agreed as part of the sale. Having interviewed him last summer, surely O’Leary asked his mate Mark for his input, especially as he was gonna be his CEO 🤷🏻‍♂️
He had such a low bar to beat..... on 11:06 - Sep 15 with 1599 viewsHerbivore

"there are wildly unrealistic expectations among the fan base that we should somehow be winning games already"

You're taking the piss, mate. Get back to WOTB.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I won't bother thanks, I expect..... on 11:10 - Sep 15 with 1572 viewsWeWereZombies

I won't bother thanks, I expect..... on 10:23 - Sep 15 by Radlett_blue

This is what Ashton does - speaks a load of corporate waffle. Somehow, this act keeps leading him to get senior jobs in football.

Is working for a Third Division outfit really a senior job in football? Ipswich have become a cushy number for people who want a decent salary in my opinion, let's not delude ourselves that we support a team that is going to challenge Manchester United for global acclaim anymore, we don't even sit in a good light in comparison to Leicester, Southampton, Palace or Burnley.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

I'm not 100% certain he is a budgie.... on 11:12 - Sep 15 with 1560 viewsBloots

He had such a low bar to beat..... on 11:06 - Sep 15 by Herbivore

"there are wildly unrealistic expectations among the fan base that we should somehow be winning games already"

....he talks more like a management consultant.

He's not as obvious as that TimmyYeo character or even that Doodah (I think), they only appeared after Gibbs went to Norwich.

This one is relatively new though, so I may turn out to be totally wrong.

I'm not 100% certain he is a budgie.... on 11:17 - Sep 15 with 1527 viewsFevsBCFC

I'm not 100% certain he is a budgie.... on 11:12 - Sep 15 by Bloots

He's not as obvious as that TimmyYeo character or even that Doodah (I think), they only appeared after Gibbs went to Norwich.

….and it was as a consultant he first crossed paths with Bristol City in 2012 and conned his way into getting the job properly in 2015.
We don't sit in a good light..... on 11:23 - Sep 15 with 1494 viewsBloots

I won't bother thanks, I expect..... on 11:10 - Sep 15 by WeWereZombies

Is working for a Third Division outfit really a senior job in football? Ipswich have become a cushy number for people who want a decent salary in my opinion, let's not delude ourselves that we support a team that is going to challenge Manchester United for global acclaim anymore, we don't even sit in a good light in comparison to Leicester, Southampton, Palace or Burnley.

...in comparison to Shrewsbury, Morecombe, Fleetwood or Accrington Stanley

I'm not 100% certain he is a budgie.... on 11:27 - Sep 15 with 1479 viewsHerbivore

I'm not 100% certain he is a budgie.... on 11:12 - Sep 15 by Bloots

Possibly. Either way the notion he's peddling that it's unrealistic for fans to expect any wins at this point is total guff. Some of the stuff I've seen on here lately in defence of Cook is quite staggering. He'd be the first to admit his 6 months here have been a disaster.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I won't bother thanks, I expect..... on 11:29 - Sep 15 with 1460 viewsElderGrizzly

And if the club fails, he fails. He won't want that.

Which is why Cook will go almost as a human shield to protect his tenure here
He had such a low bar to beat..... on 11:31 - Sep 15 with 1450 viewstimothyeo

He had such a low bar to beat..... on 11:06 - Sep 15 by Herbivore

I don't know if he's a Norwich fan and considering the stick I get I wouldn't accuse him of it, but it certainly seems he's on the wind up.

We are Ipswich Town in the third tier of English football. Of course we should be winning games.
Agreed. (n/t) on 11:33 - Sep 15 with 1432 viewsBloots

I'm not 100% certain he is a budgie.... on 11:27 - Sep 15 by Herbivore

Possibly. Either way the notion he's peddling that it's unrealistic for fans to expect any wins at this point is total guff. Some of the stuff I've seen on here lately in defence of Cook is quite staggering. He'd be the first to admit his 6 months here have been a disaster.

I'm not 100% certain he is a budgie.... on 11:34 - Sep 15 with 1441 viewsBlueBadger

I'm not 100% certain he is a budgie.... on 11:27 - Sep 15 by Herbivore

This is why Lambert was allowed to get away with doing the bare minimum(and sometimes not even as much as that).

We, as a support base, seem to be inecplivably fond of turning crap managers into cults of personality. it happened with Keane, it happened with Lambert and it's now starting to happen for some with Cook.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2021 11:43]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Right on cue. (n/t) on 11:35 - Sep 15 with 1428 viewsBloots

He had such a low bar to beat..... on 11:31 - Sep 15 by timothyeo

I don't know if he's a Norwich fan and considering the stick I get I wouldn't accuse him of it, but it certainly seems he's on the wind up.

We are Ipswich Town in the third tier of English football. Of course we should be winning games.

A lot of ITFC fans would do well to watch this Ashton interview again on 11:35 - Sep 15 with 1428 viewsMattinLondon

Don’t really understand the criticism of Ashton from some. His job is to secure the players that the manager wanted and he’s achieved it. He knows that the stadium is in a state and he’s trying to fix it. Ok, he talks in managerspeak but so what? So do plenty of others.

It’s not his fault the manager and team is underperforming.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024