Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wes Burns been on the drink? 20:02 - Sep 15 with 3768 viewsgazzer1999

We can still win the league, good one you been listening to comical cookie?
Wes Burns been on the drink? on 20:03 - Sep 15 with 3216 viewsFixed_It

Be more worrying if he/they were throwing in the towel in September like some of our fanbase!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Wes Burns been on the drink? on 20:21 - Sep 15 with 3103 viewsstonojnr

Wes Burns been on the drink? on 20:03 - Sep 15 by Fixed_It

Be more worrying if he/they were throwing in the towel in September like some of our fanbase!

is it throwing in the towel to say we will not be promoted as champions of this league at this stage ? or just realism.

and what did Paul Cook do last season when Town still had a very valid chance of making the playoffs, 5 points was the difference in the end.

note accepting you cant win the league is not the same thing as accepting you cant get promoted.
Wes Burns been on the drink? on 20:32 - Sep 15 with 3045 viewsParky

Refreshing bit of positivity. 120 points still up for grabs.
Wes Burns been on the drink? on 20:37 - Sep 15 with 3008 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Thread bookmarked, just in case.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Wes Burns been on the drink? on 20:39 - Sep 15 with 3005 viewsGarv

Wes Burns been on the drink? on 20:21 - Sep 15 by stonojnr

is it throwing in the towel to say we will not be promoted as champions of this league at this stage ? or just realism.

and what did Paul Cook do last season when Town still had a very valid chance of making the playoffs, 5 points was the difference in the end.

note accepting you cant win the league is not the same thing as accepting you cant get promoted.

If your aim is to finish 1st or 2nd and you're saying it's not possible with 6 games gone, I think that is throwing in the towel.

And did last season's team ever look capable of going on a run or being generally being successful, whether with Lambert or Cook? I think any manager would have struggled.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Wes Burns been on the drink? on 20:59 - Sep 15 with 2915 viewsIllinoisblue

He was interviewed in a HMS Piss the League t-shirt

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Wes Burns been on the drink? on 21:01 - Sep 15 with 2891 viewsHARRY10

I think you are confusing possible, with probable

Champions would require another 90 points minimum, from 40 games - which were that consistency to hold over a full season would give us 104 points.

This is not the lottery where if you do not get the first number, it does not affect the probability of you getting the next .

We have struggled to get three points out of eighteen, we have lost both cup games to lesser opposition yet we have to believe that we will now go on a record points scoring run.

It's back to the Eddie the Eagle scenario - his constant falling short was every indication of where his next jump would land.

Four wins out of 25, 3 points out of 18..... guess what ?
Wes Burns been on the drink? on 23:21 - Sep 15 with 2562 viewsBlueBadger

Wes Burns been on the drink? on 20:39 - Sep 15 by Garv

If your aim is to finish 1st or 2nd and you're saying it's not possible with 6 games gone, I think that is throwing in the towel.

And did last season's team ever look capable of going on a run or being generally being successful, whether with Lambert or Cook? I think any manager would have struggled.

At this point in the season, last season's team were unbeaten in the league.

Season before last, they'd go another half dozen(at least) before getting beaten.

They were on an unbeaten run when Cook came in.

All last season's team(and the one before) needed was some basic coaching, organisation and motivation and fine tuning. They didn't get it.

You supported the incompetent who didn't coach, motivate or organise them, you're doing the same now.

We still have decent players who are crying out for proper coaching and organisation and you're yet again, joining the Cult of the Incompetent.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2021 13:01]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

Wes Burns been on the drink? on 23:25 - Sep 15 with 2549 viewsDarth_Koont

Wes Burns been on the drink? on 23:21 - Sep 15 by BlueBadger

Season before last, they'd go another half dozen(at least) before getting beaten.

All last season's team(and the one before) needed was some basic coaching, organisation and motivation and fine tuning. They didn't get it.

You supported the incompetent who didn't coach, motivate or organise them, you're doing the same now.

We still have decent players who are crying out for proper coaching and organisation and you're yet again, joining the Cult of the Incompetent.

What a load of nonsense.

Pronouns: He/Him

Wes Burns been on the drink? on 00:42 - Sep 16 with 2472 viewsBasingstokeBlue

Are you Blubfish in disguise? 2/10

Poll: What do you think of the three stars being relocated?

Wes Burns been on the drink? on 05:04 - Sep 16 with 2376 viewsChondzoresk

Instead of talking about it. Start doing something about it on the pitch.
Wes Burns been on the drink? on 06:46 - Sep 16 with 2269 viewsFixed_It

Wes Burns been on the drink? on 05:04 - Sep 16 by Chondzoresk

Instead of talking about it. Start doing something about it on the pitch.

Yeah Wes - how about scoring some goals and getting some assists. Oh...

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Wes Burns been on the drink? on 07:14 - Sep 16 with 2223 viewstextbackup

or ex "legends" did on staying up a few years back

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Wes Burns been on the drink? on 08:17 - Sep 16 with 2091 viewstimothyeo

Wes Burns been on the drink? on 23:25 - Sep 15 by Darth_Koont

What a load of nonsense.

What part of what BB said was nonsense?
Wes Burns been on the drink? on 08:38 - Sep 16 with 2037 viewsDarth_Koont

Wes Burns been on the drink? on 08:17 - Sep 16 by timothyeo

What part of what BB said was nonsense?

The start and the end. Oh and the middle too.

“All they needed ...” Give me a break. We’ve spent the last 3 years going nowhere but down and at no stage was success just around the corner. It’s been much deeper than that. And now way too early to be saying there’s the same problem and solution with this squad given we have made fundamental changes both on and off the pitch.

Let’s actually have more evidence than half-a-dozen games after (and even during) an insane transfer window. And hopefully by then we’ll be aiming higher than superficial, lazy comparisons.

Pronouns: He/Him

Wes Burns been on the drink? on 08:46 - Sep 16 with 2018 viewsChrisd

I know players need to say these things to get fans back on board and keep the faith, but we've heard all this before. Our players are far better keeping their mouths shut and doing their talking on the pitch because at the moment there isn't much to shout about being a Town fan!
[Post edited 16 Sep 2021 9:12]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Wes Burns been on the drink? on 09:00 - Sep 16 with 1977 viewstextbackup

Wes Burns been on the drink? on 08:46 - Sep 16 by Chrisd

I know players need to say these things to get fans back on board and keep the faith, but we've heard all this before. Our players are far better keeping their mouths shut and doing their talking on the pitch because at the moment there isn't much to shout about being a Town fan!
[Post edited 16 Sep 2021 9:12]

i'd argue Burns has been our best players so far, so he is doing his talking on the pitch

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Wes Burns been on the drink? on 09:16 - Sep 16 with 1919 viewsChrisd

Wes Burns been on the drink? on 09:00 - Sep 16 by textbackup

i'd argue Burns has been our best players so far, so he is doing his talking on the pitch

I'm not talking about him individually, I'm talking about us collectively. No need to say these things at this point in time, get on and win the next 4 or 5 games, then you can come out and start talking up our title ambitions up. The fact we've still not won a game and look so easy to score against, makes Burns' statement really difficult to believe at this point in time. They all need to be getting on and doing their jobs and doing them far better than what they are currently.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Wes Burns been on the drink? on 11:11 - Sep 16 with 1779 viewsjayessess

Wes Burns been on the drink? on 09:16 - Sep 16 by Chrisd

I'm not talking about him individually, I'm talking about us collectively. No need to say these things at this point in time, get on and win the next 4 or 5 games, then you can come out and start talking up our title ambitions up. The fact we've still not won a game and look so easy to score against, makes Burns' statement really difficult to believe at this point in time. They all need to be getting on and doing their jobs and doing them far better than what they are currently.

I like it, maybe Burns' unflappable optimism explains why he's been one of the better ones on the pitch!

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Wes Burns been on the drink? on 11:33 - Sep 16 with 1725 viewsEireannach_gorm

Wes Burns been on the drink? on 23:21 - Sep 15 by BlueBadger

All last season's team(and the one before) needed was some basic coaching, organisation and motivation and fine tuning. They didn't get.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2021 11:34]
Wes Burns been on the drink? on 11:46 - Sep 16 with 1682 viewstractorshark

I don't think you can write off the season and I don't think sacking Cook right now is the sensible thing to do.
While it may not be very likely that we will win the league, it is still possible - as are the playoffs. And Cook hasn't had a chance to get all of his squad on the pitch yet.
I was angry last Saturday like most and I remain as unconvinced by Cook as I was when we appointed him. But I will concede his track record is good and I fear sacking him now would just create another period of uncertainty that would definitely write off our season.
The problem some of our fanbase struggle with is the blame culture of modern football.
At Ipswich we go in a constant cycle of the manager isn't good enough, the ownership isn't good enough, the players aren't good enough and then we go round again.
Most people wanted Paul Cook based on watching his Pompey side turn us over in the Cup. That isn't enough to guarantee he will succeed at Ipswich. Pretty much every managerial appointment has an element of doubt about it.
But as a club, we need to find some stability and stick with a project that will take us forward. Otherwise we will just lurch from crisis to crisis.
Cook may well not be the man to lead us, I don't blame him for individual mistakes but I do think we look tactically naive and his man-management and overall record at Ipswich is extremely questionable.
Having said that, I will stick with him for now rather than call for the next manager who just happened to have a decent result against us.
If Cook is as good as people originally believed and if the squad is as good as people say (and both of those are ifs), then we will turn this around.
Wes Burns been on the drink? on 12:20 - Sep 16 with 1620 viewsOldboy

Promotion? Yes. Win the league? No.
Wes Burns been on the drink? on 14:37 - Sep 16 with 1527 viewsVaughan8

Wes Burns been on the drink? on 12:20 - Sep 16 by Oldboy

Promotion? Yes. Win the league? No.

Yes this would be far more realistic.

I suppose they have to say these kind of things but lets just win a game first haha
Wes Burns been on the drink? on 14:56 - Sep 16 with 1505 viewsElderGrizzly

It's pretty much unachievable

[Post edited 16 Sep 2021 14:57]
Wes Burns been on the drink? on 17:22 - Sep 16 with 1413 viewsjayessess

Wes Burns been on the drink? on 14:56 - Sep 16 by ElderGrizzly

It's pretty much unachievable

[Post edited 16 Sep 2021 14:57]

Not that uncommon for clubs to have a bad patch in the midst of a title season and as a result needing to be pretty much unstoppable in the other 35-40 games, including some very long winning runs.

Hull picked up 6 points from 7 games in December-January and picked up 2.1 ppg from the rest of their 39 games.

Coventry had a long phase in 2019-20 where they got 12 points from 11 games during September-December, rattled along at 2.39 ppg the rest of the time.

Luton got 13 points from their first 10 games in 2018-19, then 2.25 per game from their last 36.

If you're genuinely the best team in the league you can sustain very long dominant runs where your ppg is a lot higher than any league champion is ultimately going to get. Our start suggests to me that we aren't anywhere near being that team, but I sure as hell hope the players still believe that we are!
[Post edited 16 Sep 2021 17:22]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024